News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

has anyone clinched every mile of interstate?

Started by agentsteel53, May 22, 2013, 05:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I do not think I ever will in my entire life as there is just too much.  Unless I come into unlimited amount of money, and give myself 6 months of traveling, as to actually do it in one sitting would require serious criss crossing and all.  However, I do believe that I will cover a lot of the two digits, though including the boring I-10 drive across Texas and I-80 across Nebraska.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

oscar

Quote from: roadman65 on June 15, 2013, 07:30:56 AM
I do not think I ever will in my entire life as there is just too much.  Unless I come into unlimited amount of money, and give myself 6 months of traveling, as to actually do it in one sitting would require serious criss crossing and all.  However, I do believe that I will cover a lot of the two digits, though including the boring I-10 drive across Texas and I-80 across Nebraska.

It took me only 36 years since I got my license, to more or less complete the Interstate system (for now).  Don't give up!
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

KEVIN_224

Me? It'll never happen! (SIGH!) The only 2-digit interstate I've ever clinched is I-84, from Dunmore, PA (next to Scranton) to Sturbridge, MA. I've never done it in one pass, since I live near the route in central CT already.

Grzrd

This may be elsewhere on the forum or on a FAQ page (if so, apologies), but have any mathematicians in the crowd attempted to calculate a routing that would cover every mile of interstate in the Lower 48 (plus the District of Columbia) with the fewest number of miles? I'm assuming that the various routes would involve non-interstate travel and/or interstate "backtracking" on a given interstate segment.

Starting point at discretion of the calculator.

sandiaman

OK,  I have  clinched the entire lengths of  I-8, 25, 82,86 (west), 85, 89, 64   84 (west)  and  17.    I  have  clinched I-10  through  the  states  of CA, AZ, NM,TX, LA, MS, AL,  I 40  through CA, AZ , NM, TX,OK, AR   I-80  through, CA, NV, UT,

Alps

Quote from: Grzrd on June 15, 2013, 11:30:47 AM
This may be elsewhere on the forum or on a FAQ page (if so, apologies), but have any mathematicians in the crowd attempted to calculate a routing that would cover every mile of interstate in the Lower 48 (plus the District of Columbia) with the fewest number of miles? I'm assuming that the various routes would involve non-interstate travel and/or interstate "backtracking" on a given interstate segment.

Starting point at discretion of the calculator.
2di would be a lot different challenge than ALL. But the honest best way to do this would be to code each link with a distance/time penalty and run algorithms on it, rather than attempt to do anything by hand.

hbelkins

With my recent jaunt down I-684, I now have all of Connecticut's interstate mileage clinched. I also have all of Rhode Island now as well.

They join KY, WV, DE and TN in the "clinched interstate" category. Only I-579 keeps me from having PA clinched.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.