T.S. Lee

Started by Alex, August 31, 2011, 09:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Invest 93L is on the board today and it looks like the next week is going to be a big  :hmmm: for the Gulf of Mexico. Been reading comparisons of 1985's Hurricane Juan and Elena due to the erratic nature of the forecast track and overall sluggish steering patterns.

We drove to the beach this evening and already noted an increase in surf and a lot of low level cumulus clouds.

T.D. #13 is now Tropical Storm Lee.

allniter89

Today on the 6pm news, channel 3 WEAR-Pensacola chief meteorologist Alan Strum mentioned it may stall off the coast and provide much needed rain to our area. Rough surf is predicted all weekend with 40-50% chance of rain.
Elena in 85 was our 1st hurricane in Florida so we evacuated to Tallahassee, IIRC Elena wandered toward the east so we drove home to Ft Walton Beach, we'd only been home a few hours when Elena wandered back west so we stayed at the local shelter, IIRC Elena wasnt a real big deal.
I just took a better look at the predicted possible paths, WOW, one is landfall in LA then it moves back south into the Gulf, and another has landfall in LA then it stays just onshore and moves southwest into TX and MX?   :crazy:
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Brandon

Looking at Weather Underground, no one seems to know where this thing could go yet.  Hopefully it goes to Texas as a tropical depression.  They need the water.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

berberry

Quote from: Brandon on August 31, 2011, 10:30:42 PM
Looking at Weather Underground, no one seems to know where this thing could go...

I'm watching the Wx Channel and just checked wunderground.com, and no one seems to even know which gulf thunderstorms are associated with the low and which ones aren't.  But they do seem to think that chances are improving for development, saying that it may become Tropical Storm Lee over the next day or so.

The model tracks haven't improved any since you posted.  No steering currents, they're saying.  That could turn out to be disastrous in itself, even if only minimal development occurs, should the storm maintain itself for a lengthy time in one place.

berberry

One thing new I just noticed on the model tracks shown on the wx channel (don't see it yet on wunderground) is that two of them seem to agree on a landfall near Corpus Christi and another is not far off them.  Trouble is they also indicate a very loooooong slooooow westward track just off the coasts of Louisiana and Texas before getting to land.  Doesn't seem to strengthen much, just spin and rain.  One factor may be the terrain along the Louisiana coast - the land is very, very flat many miles inland.  So even if the wave/depression/storm gets right to the coast and travels as the models indicate, flat marshland won't interfere with it much, allowing it to keep going longer than it otherwise would.

froggie

QuoteThe model tracks haven't improved any since you posted.  No steering currents, they're saying.  That could turn out to be disastrous in itself, even if only minimal development occurs, should the storm maintain itself for a lengthy time in one place.

Indeed.  One need only remember Tropical Storm Allison in 2001 for what happens in that case.  Especially the residents of Houston.

berberry

I had switched back to cable news and surfing non-wx (dogs, actually) websites, and suddenly there's a wx update from the wx channel on msnbc.  The gulf coasts of Florida, Alabama and - looks like somewhat - Mississippi are experiencing very high surf and strong rips today.  The storm is organizing more rapidly than expected, and TS Lee may be with us by evening.  Forecast tracking hasn't improved any.

Scott5114

I haven't seen these "invest" numbers before this season. Anyone have a quick explanation of them on hand, and why exactly the term "invest" is being used?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

berberry

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 01, 2011, 02:38:41 PM
I haven't seen these "invest" numbers before this season. Anyone have a quick explanation of them on hand, and why exactly the term "invest" is being used?

A hurricane hunter hasn't yet verified tropical depression strength.  It's officially still a wave.  When it becomes a depression, it'll get a new, lower number, then when it's a storm it'll be named.

Alex

Quote from: berberry on September 01, 2011, 03:10:01 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 01, 2011, 02:38:41 PM

A hurricane hunter hasn't yet verified tropical depression strength.  It's officially still a wave.  When it becomes a depression, it'll get a new, lower number, then when it's a storm it'll be named.

The Invest numbers run from 90 to 99 and increase numerically before resetting after Invest 99. Invest 94L was identified today over the north Atlantic and has a chance of snagging the Lee name if it is upgraded the way Franklin, Gert, and Jose were before quickly becoming extratropical.

I have seen Invests used on weatherboards for many years now, but they only recently became a mainstream term on TWC, CNN, etc. in the last couple of years. The Wiki has a bit more info on them.

golden eagle

One thing this will do is douse the fire that's been burning in New Orleans East for several days.

Lightning Strike

As mentioned earlier they represent areas of investigation being conducted or that will be conducted by Hurricane Hunters as to the strength/organization of the cluster of storms. As for any updates NHC seems confident it'll gain tropical storm conditions as early as tomorrow but as to the track....anyone's guess. It would be nice to help Louisiana with the wildfires but there is that potential for another Allison as mentioned.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.shtml?5-daynl#contents

Scott5114

Ah, "invest"  is short for "investigation".  Why use only the numbers from 90 to 99? To avoid conflict with TD  numbers? Sorry, for some reason I'm really getting into the hurricane season for the first time this year; I'm normally more of a tornado guy for obvious reasons :D

berberry

Tropical Storm Lee.  I think this map, the 5-day from wunderground, tells the real story of this system better than the others I've seen.

WolfGuy100

I knew this TD became TS Lee but I wish it'd go west into Texas because that state really need a lot of rains.

Anthony_JK

I feel for Texas, because they could definitely use the rain...but unfortunately, it seems that that monster high-pressure ridge over the Southern Rockies that has been the major roadblock to them getting any drops of rain will hold ground enough to prevent any more move to the west.

Texas' loss, though, is New Orleans' loss as well, because they are going to get waxed with 10-15" of rain over the next 3-4 days, with isolated amounts nearly 20", as well as tropical storm force winds near 45-60 mph and even some isolated tornadoes along the N Central coast from SE LA to the western FL Panhandle.

But, at least it will be at worst a strong tropical storm or a barely minimum Cat 1 hurricane, not an Andrew or a Katrina by any means. The levees should hold this time. The storm drains and pumps, on the other hand, might have some problems.

Here where I sit, as it is, in Opelousas, we're expecting to stay on the "good" left side of the storm, with some wind (25 - 35 mph with some 45 or 50 gusts) and some decent rain (4-8"), but that's manageable. We got worse when Gustav and Rita came ashore.

Anthony

Darkchylde

Looks like this thing's going to come right over my house.

I hope it's got enough left in it to weather this storm.

The Premier

Quote from: Darkangel on September 02, 2011, 05:05:47 PM
Looks like this thing's going to come right over my house.

I hope it's got enough left in it to weather this storm.

Be safe out there.
Alex P. Dent

Scott5114

Forget weakening hurricanes... the government should have spent the money they spent on Stormfury on trying to weaken high pressure systems :ded:

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 02, 2011, 10:08:01 AM
Ah, "invest"  is short for "investigation".  Why use only the numbers from 90 to 99? To avoid conflict with TD  numbers? Sorry, for some reason I'm really getting into the hurricane season for the first time this year; I'm normally more of a tornado guy for obvious reasons :D

That's precisely why, although only 90-99 are used for active systems; 51-89 (but usually only 80-89) are used for tests.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

jgb191

Unfortunately we're not going to get anything from Lee here in South Texas....if anything, it's going to get hotter here during Labor weekend.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

FLRoads

Had one nasty squall line come through about 2am, with frequent lightning and thunder and some heavy rain, but other than that it has been fairly quiet in this part of Florida...

bassoon1986

check out this weather channel video.  At 1:18 do they say the wrong interstate? It sounds like he is calling it "I-10 from Slidell to Baton Rouge"  which is I-12. Unless he means I-10 from Slidell through New Orleans and up to Baton Rouge but I don't think so.

http://www.weather.com/weather/videos/news-41/top-stories-169/watching-system-in-gulf-6584

Darkchylde

Looks like we're just getting peripheral effects here - it's passing by farther to the west than the track indicated.

Bullet? Dodged.

Alex

Had a loud thunderstorm this morning (2-245 am) with a lot of lightning to kick off our first real rainfall of Tropical Storm Lee. Been out and about all day otherwise in squally weather. The bays and Gulf are not really above normal (no tidal flooding observed anywhere). People are out and about doing their normal thing just about everywhere too.

How the Gulf looked this morning.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.