News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 18, 2024, 11:40:42 PM
Quote from: Molandfreak on July 18, 2024, 02:16:55 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 18, 2024, 08:16:12 AM
Quote from: Rothman on July 17, 2024, 10:40:03 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 17, 2024, 09:03:17 PM
Quote from: Rothman on July 17, 2024, 07:42:30 PMWhat I get from Flint is that he thinks Michiganders don't leave their state.
Their state? I live here too. And as someone who once in awhile leaves the state why would I think that?

Because your whole argument assumes it.
No it doesn't. Why would a Michigan resident need an EZPass when Michigan doesn't have toll roads? Even if someone from Michigan does travel on a toll road outside of Michigan it's not like it's often enough for someone to think oh man I should have an EZPass. That doesn't mean that people from Michigan don't have it though.
If Minnesota found a demand for E-ZPass integration despite having zero toll roads and not bordering any state with toll roads, Michigan should have a demand since it has two land borders with states using it.
Minnesota has high-occupancy toll lane in the Twin Cities area. Michigan does not have that, there are HOV lanes near Detroit on I-75 but they are not tolled and only used as HOV lanes during rush hour. So Michigan has no demand for it, they aren't obligated to care about another state's toll road system.
OK, I'm convinced you're trolling now, but the point still stands that we had a system that primarily attracted a very small, very specific amount of commuters before being brought into the E-ZPass system.
Quote from: Terry Shea on Today at 12:05:22 AM
Quote from: Rothman on July 17, 2024, 07:42:30 PMWhat I get from Flint is that he thinks Michiganders don't leave their state.
Their state? I live here too. And as someone who once in awhile leaves the state why would I think that?

Excuse me, but I believe that you're the one making an invalid assumption here.
Then elaborate on whatever it is that is invalid?

Excuse me, but I believe that you're the one making an invalid assumption here.
The toll bridge is supposed to start in 2027 and be completed in 2032. The approaches on both sides should be done before the bridge work starts. If the project is delivered by an alternative delivery such as Design-Build or Design-Build-Operate-Finance-Maintain, the contractor may be free to propose whatever bridge type that will make the contractor the most money while still serving the purpose and meeting the performance specs.
Lots of info at https://i69ohiorivercrossing.com
Northwest / Re: Oregon
Last post by xonhulu - July 18, 2024, 11:43:31 PM
Quote from: pderocco on July 16, 2024, 11:55:01 PMAlso, I can't find any route 273 signage in GSV, except right at the northern end where it turns off OR-66. Google only labels the road as 273 from I-5 exit 6 up to OR-66, but ODOT's GIS shows that it is all 273.

When they originally signed the northern end, they also installed a 273 shield up at I-5's exit 6 (photo taken in 2004):

However, the next time I saw it in 2009, it had gotten damaged:

After that, I never saw it again.  Guessing it was removed & never replaced.

I've never seen any 273 signage south of exit 6, but AFAIK that section is part of OR 273.

Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Mackinac Bridge congestion
Last post by Flint1979 - July 18, 2024, 11:40:42 PM
Quote from: Molandfreak on July 18, 2024, 02:16:55 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 18, 2024, 08:16:12 AM

No it doesn't. Why would a Michigan resident need an EZPass when Michigan doesn't have toll roads? Even if someone from Michigan does travel on a toll road outside of Michigan it's not like it's often enough for someone to think oh man I should have an EZPass. That doesn't mean that people from Michigan don't have it though.
If Minnesota found a demand for E-ZPass integration despite having zero toll roads and not bordering any state with toll roads, Michigan should have a demand since it has two land borders with states using it.
Minnesota has high-occupancy toll lane in the Twin Cities area. Michigan does not have that, there are HOV lanes near Detroit on I-75 but they are not tolled and only used as HOV lanes during rush hour. So Michigan has no demand for it, they aren't obligated to care about another state's toll road system.
Northeast / Re: New York
Last post by noelbotevera - July 18, 2024, 11:17:00 PM
Since we're talking about reference markers, here's a fun one: NY 17 WB past exit 56 in Elmira insists that this was part of NY 14. Um, what? NY 14 is on a surface street through Elmira and has been for a while. Granted, I don't know if NY 17 is the older route than NY 14, but why would it take second fiddle on the NY 17 freeway?

Okay, so pop on over to actual NY 14 at Horseheads. That says NY 328, which is not NY 14. What about NY 14 on Clemens Center Parkway? Nope, still not NY 14, that's NY 961M!

Ugh.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Indiana Notes
Last post by ITB - July 18, 2024, 11:13:23 PM
Pressure is mounting to upgrade US 30 to a freeway in northern Indiana. At a US 30 Coalition Summit event in Warsaw, Ivan Tornos, the president of Zimmer Biomet, one of the Indiana's largest employers, said "We need to get a freeway that is safe and efficient. We must get US 30 resolved. Lives and jobs are at risk." He added that he and Governor Holcomb would be meeting again to talk specifically about US 30. "We want to be in Warsaw, Indiana, for the next 800 years ... but we can not make the commitment to be here long term if we don't resolve this."

In total, there were three panel discussions that took place at the event. More than 100 state and local business and political leaders attended. Read an in-depth account of the discussions, published by inkFreeNews.com, and from which the above quotes were taken, here.

Mid-Atlantic / Re: District of Columbia
Last post by noelbotevera - July 18, 2024, 10:56:24 PM
Quote from: machpost on July 16, 2024, 11:02:38 AMHere's some background. It's an interesting story: https://ggwash.org/view/65858/heres-why-dc-has-a-traffic-cloverleaf-at-north-capitol-and-irving
Wow, this was not a good idea. To connect Columbia Road and Irving Street to Connecticut Avenue near the Zoo would require absolutely destroying Columbia Heights (which was mostly African-American, and "obviously" meant free real estate to planners) and Rock Creek Park. Even the zoning maps posted in 1958 show those blocks west of Georgia Avenue already filled in.

It's also unclear how Irving Street was supposed to extend east. Somehow it would tie into something in Maryland, but what? There weren't any freeways in that direction at the time; the Beltway didn't even exist yet!

I wonder if the North Capitol Street freeway plans were supposed to be part of I-95 at one time. This article doesn't mention it, but it also doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.
Pacific Southwest / Re: Was highway 237 ever plann...
Last post by TheStranger - July 18, 2024, 10:39:05 PM
Quote from: Voyager on July 18, 2024, 04:06:26 PMConsidering how abruptly it ends at El Camino Real in Mountain View, I always wondered if there was an actual plan (IE not a "hey this would be fun" line drawn on a 1948 trafficways plan) to get the highway all the way to 280 near Loyola?

I don't think so:

The 1950s plan for the route explicitly only shows upgrades between what was then Bypass 101 (now US 101) and what was then 17 (now I-880), essentially the east-west portion of then-Highway 9
https://www.cahighways.org/ROUTE237.html

Do keep in mind that 85 between 101 in Mountain View and 280 in Cupertino functionally replaced another segment of Highway 9 as well (with 9 truncated back to Los Gatos with the 1964 renumbering).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.