News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How close is the nearest state line to your home?

Started by STLmapboy, November 08, 2020, 06:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STLmapboy

From my house, the closest state line is Illinois, at about 12 miles as the crow flies.

What are yours? The answer should be as a straight-line distance, not as a driving distance. There are some tools to help you find it; I used this website to draw a radius. If you're closer to an international border, cite that state/province (for example, if you live in San Diego, you might be closest to Baja California).
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Max Rockatansky

For me by road in Fresno it's the Nevada State Line on CA 182 which is 4.5 hours away it Tioga Pass is open.  If I hiked over Kearsarge Pass or Piute Pass from Kings Canyon National Park it might be under 100 miles to Nevada. 

oscar

About 2.5 miles, from my home to the VA/DC state line. About 4.8 miles to the VA/MD state line near Chain Bridge.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hotdogPi

Quote from: oscar on November 08, 2020, 07:23:00 PM
About 2.5 miles, from my home to the VA/DC state line. About 4.8 miles to the VA/MD state line near Chain Bridge.

It's still a state line even if only one of the two is a state. No need to do VA/MD.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Flint1979

US71

Roughly 1/4 mile west from where I live to Oklahoma.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

70 miles to Ohio (near Maysville), West Virginia (Fort Gay) and also to Virginia in a couple of locations. 72 miles to Tennessee.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

ilpt4u

The Mississippi River and Missouri. 10.75 Miles to the closest point at a river bend

Sani

I'm 6.85 miles west of State Line Road between Kansas and Missouri.

bassoon1986

This was an interesting find. I would have thought I was closer to Texas than Mississippi. My closest is to LA/MS line along the Mississippi River at just under 52 miles. Right near the crook of "the boot"

iPhone

kevinb1994

Huh. I'm actually (via St Johns Point at the mouth of the St Johns River) a little closer to the state line than where the Duval County Court House was, according to a cool, old 1887 map (courtesy of Florida Memory). My house is a little over 35 miles from the Florida-Georgia Line, IF you use the mouth of the St Johns at St Johns Point. I tried using railroads that have served the area, but I kept running into the fact that the turpentine still I live at did not exist until circa 1900 and, via a request made to Flagler, a connection was made to where Hogan Road cuts in/out of US 90 (Beach Boulevard).

allniter89

BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Road Hog

About 35 miles from Oklahoma straight line, more like 45 by road because of Lake Texoma.

ozarkman417

Roughly 47.5 miles due south from the Arkansas border (lat. 36.5). 2nd place is about 74 miles due west to the KS border.

CNGL-Leudimin

Thanks to a debt contracted back in the Middle Ages that was never paid off, the closest subdivision line to me is an exclave one! I'm 62 km (39 miles) away from the Petilla de Aragon exclave, which (despite its name) belongs to Navarre. Had that debt been paid off, then my answer would be an international border.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

GaryV

Closest to me would be in the middle of the Detroit River, about 15 miles from my house.  (Who says a state line has to be between 2 states?)  Else, Ohio would be about 65 road miles away, somewhat less as the crow flies.

@Flint1979, you probably are also closer to Ontario than you are to Ohio.

dfilpus

zzcarp

76.5 miles due north to the Wyoming/Colorado line.
So many miles and so many roads

thspfc

m2tbone

I'm about 7 miles from the Mississippi River and the state line of Illinois here (as the crow flies). 

iPad Pro

Brandon

Indiana.  About 36 miles by road, maybe 29-30 as the crow flies.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

I-55

From Home: Ohio (24 mi, route dependent)

From School: Illinois (34.2 mi)
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.