How close is the nearest state line to your home?

Started by STLmapboy, November 08, 2020, 06:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwana39

About 15 to Arkansas, About 45 to Louisiana, and a little under 40 to Oklahoma. 540 to New Mexico. These are by the roads.
Arkansas is probably about 5 miles from the house. Oklahoma around 30, and Louisiana around 40 in a straight path.

Kansas, Missouri, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, and Kansas are all closer to my house than the CLOSEST place in New Mexico.  Indiana, Georgia, Nebraska,  and Florida are all less than 50 miles further.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

davewiecking

About 2200' to the Potomac River and about 4100' to the VA border on the other side of the river. And, because I was measuring things, 5700' to the employee entrance of the CIA parking lot...

Roadgeekteen

About 24 miles to the Northeastern corner of Rhode Island.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

I hope this doesn't give my location away.

One thing that's interesting about where I live is that the closest point to New Hampshire is on a corner, but just barely. Move a few hundred feet, and it becomes a perpendicular line instead of a corner.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

CoreySamson

From my house it's approximately 102 miles to the Louisiana border at Sabine Pass.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

thspfc

One interesting thing about the Great Lakes region is that to get to the Michigan border by car, it's only slightly closer for me to go straight to Michigan at Marinette, entering from Wisconsin, than it is for me to go through two additional states (IL and IN).

J3ebrules

I am apparently carrying on a three-generation tradition of living on a state border, currently 2.02 miles from my bedroom to the PA border in the middle of the Delaware River. Of course, I grew up in Hoboken, with our apartment (yes, I remember the address and am looking this up on Google Earth) 1.07 miles from the NY border in the middle of the Hudson.

However, I'm clearly outdone by both my mother and grandparents, who probably could have shot someone in New Jersey from their home in Chestnut Ridge, NY - 1,037 feet from the NJ border.
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

TheHighwayMan3561

54 miles to the MN 36/WIS 64 bridge at Stillwater.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

sprjus4

KCRoadFan

Me? The Kansas state line is just a mile west of where I live. I could walk there from home - in fact, I often have done so.

cu2010

8 miles to the nearest legal crossing; about three otherwise.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

SkyPesos

about 20 miles to the KY border; the IN border is about 5-8 miles farther away in another direction.

ethanhopkin14

Living in Central Texas, the closest state line to me is the Texas-Coahuila line. It's easier to leave the country for me than visit another state.

Scott5114

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 03, 2021, 06:29:39 PM
Living in Central Texas, the closest state line to me is the Texas-Coahuila line. It's easier to leave the country for me than visit another state.

Counting the amount of time you'd have to wait at the border and getting Mexican car insurance, it's probably still easier (and maybe even faster) to make it to Oklahoma, Louisiana, or New Mexico than Coahuila.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 04, 2021, 12:01:26 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 03, 2021, 06:29:39 PM

Counting the amount of time you'd have to wait at the border and getting Mexican car insurance, it's probably still easier (and maybe even faster) to make it to Oklahoma, Louisiana, or New Mexico than Coahuila.

In jest.  In a perfect world, distance wise it's faster. 

amroad17

4 miles to the KY/OH border on the Roebling Suspension Bridge.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Konza

Looks like about 11.5 miles due south, as the crow flies, to the International border between Arizona and Sonora.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

epzik8

MD/PA line is 17 miles to the northwest of me as the crow flies
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

GaryV

Quote from: epzik8 on January 06, 2021, 08:42:36 AM
MD/PA line is 17 miles to the northwest of me as the crow flies
Wouldn't a due north direction be closer?

7/8

For me:
NY = 98km in Lake Ontario between Niagara-on-the-Lake and Toronto
PA = 116km in Lake Erie at the PA/NY/ON tripoint
OH = 125km in Lake Erie at the OH/PA/ON tripoint
MI = 139km in Lake Huron between Bayfield, ON and Forestville, MI
WV = 312km in the Ohio River at the OH/PA/WV tripoint.
QC = 347km in the Ottawa River at Mattawa, ON.

It's kind of cool that WV, which doesn't border ON, is closer than QC. Then again, MB (which does border ON) is 1288km from my house!

dvferyance

The Illinois state line is about 35 miles south. Closet highway that crosses it as the crow flies would be Hwy 83 which keeps it's number in both states.

paulthemapguy

Though I live in a county that borders Indiana, the Indiana state line is still 32-33 miles to the east.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 08, 2021, 04:47:52 PM
Though I live in a county that borders Indiana, the Indiana state line is still 32-33 miles to the east.

That pretty much narrows it down to two counties.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.