News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Quote from: Rothman on April 09, 2024, 11:52:13 AMPeople who use bathroom stalls in airports as their personal offices.

I would remove "in airports" to make it accurate for me.

roadman65

Quote from: Rothman on April 09, 2024, 11:52:13 AMPeople who use bathroom stalls in airports as their personal offices.

They do it in the workplace too.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SEWIGuy

Old people who clog up the aisles in grocery stores on evenings and weekends.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 09, 2024, 12:43:57 PMOld people who clog up the aisles in grocery stores on evenings and weekends.

Not sure if it's the same where you are, but basically none of the grocery stores have baskets anymore. So, if you need more than a few things, you HAVE to take a cart. It probably slows down my grocery shopping by 50% to have a cart if I go to the grocery store any time after 9:00 AM.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 09, 2024, 01:05:26 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 09, 2024, 12:43:57 PMOld people who clog up the aisles in grocery stores on evenings and weekends.

Not sure if it's the same where you are, but basically none of the grocery stores have baskets anymore. So, if you need more than a few things, you HAVE to take a cart. It probably slows down my grocery shopping by 50% to have a cart if I go to the grocery store any time after 9:00 AM.

We have the mini-carts, which are incredibly easy to deal with.

But man, can't these old people go to the store at like 10:00 AM while the rest of us are actually generating economic activity?

JayhawkCO

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 09, 2024, 01:43:54 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 09, 2024, 01:05:26 PM

We have the mini-carts, which are incredibly easy to deal with.

But man, can't these old people go to the store at like 10:00 AM while the rest of us are actually generating economic activity?

I feel like my main grocery store has about six of these, and they're always taken.

thenetwork

I am pretty sure this next nit I'm picking  has to do with a recent Android update on both my work and personal phones:

Until recently, when  I had hit the microphone for any speech-to-text actions (creating emails, texts, etc...) it recognized when I said "comma", "period", "new paragraph", etc. and insert the appropriate punctuation mark or paragraph break....

...Now it spells out the commands as words and not the punctuation anymore (period).

1995hoo

My wife's car has a built-in sat-nav and we have our home address saved (with a PIN, of course) for the "Go Home" option. So, of course, she just called me from Fairfax City to say she was lost. Apparently, when I said "go right at the second light, then left at the first light after that," it meant "go right two lights in a row so you're going north when you want to go south."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 11, 2024, 05:14:31 PMMy wife's car has a built-in sat-nav and we have our home address saved (with a PIN, of course) for the "Go Home" option. So, of course, she just called me from Fairfax City to say she was lost. Apparently, when I said "go right at the second light, then left at the first light after that," it meant "go right two lights in a row so you're going north when you want to go south."

Wouldn't the GPS automatically reroute if you make a wrong turn?

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on April 11, 2024, 06:51:16 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 11, 2024, 05:14:31 PMMy wife's car has a built-in sat-nav and we have our home address saved (with a PIN, of course) for the "Go Home" option. So, of course, she just called me from Fairfax City to say she was lost. Apparently, when I said "go right at the second light, then left at the first light after that," it meant "go right two lights in a row so you're going north when you want to go south."

She hadn't told it where she was going. She shouldn't have needed it when she was going somewhere she's been several times before in the past month!

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 11, 2024, 06:57:38 PM

She hadn't told it where she was going. She shouldn't have needed it when she was going somewhere she's been several times before in the past month!

OK, misunderstood your first sentence. I would tend to agree, but I guess she still should have entered it to be sure.  :D 

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on April 12, 2024, 11:43:02 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 11, 2024, 06:57:38 PM

OK, misunderstood your first sentence. I would tend to agree, but I guess she still should have entered it to be sure.  :D 

Yeah, I don't understand why, when she realizes she's gone in a direction she thinks is wrong, she doesn't just hit the voice command button, say "Go Home," and enter her PIN. Instead she calls me. I haven't asked her that since this most recent incident, of course. Have to wait for the right time that won't start an argument.

I personally would not need routing turned on to get home from where she was, but then I grew up a short distance east of there and could come up with a bunch of different options to get home from that location.

CtrlAltDel

Kleenex changed the designs of its boxes, and I don't like the style.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

vdeane

I can't sign in to online banking anymore.  Whenever I go to my bank's website, I keep getting "connection closed" errors or incomplete page loading.  The bank says it's an issue with all Verizon customers (I have FiOS).  When I talk to Verizon, they just keep running me through the same basic individual troubleshooting steps over and over again and refuse to believe me when I tell them the problem is on their end and that they're somehow blocking access to my bank (and for a while, it ended up taking out all my internet access).  Since I don't have mobile tethering, I now have no way to do online banking at all.  Unfortunately, Spectrum internet/customer service is even worse, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do about all this.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mgk920

Quote from: vdeane on April 13, 2024, 04:45:16 PMI can't sign in to online banking anymore.  Whenever I go to my bank's website, I keep getting "connection closed" errors or incomplete page loading.  The bank says it's an issue with all Verizon customers (I have FiOS).  When I talk to Verizon, they just keep running me through the same basic individual troubleshooting steps over and over again and refuse to believe me when I tell them the problem is on their end and that they're somehow blocking access to my bank (and for a while, it ended up taking out all my internet access).  Since I don't have mobile tethering, I now have no way to do online banking at all.  Unfortunately, Spectrum internet/customer service is even worse, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do about all this.

Go back to 'old school' live tellers at the bank?

< DUCKS and RUNS!! >

Mike

Scott5114

Quote from: mgk920 on April 13, 2024, 07:34:13 PMGo back to 'old school' live tellers at the bank?

Not always an option one can exercise at the spur of the moment. I haven't moved my money to a bank here in Nevada yet, so if online banking went down for me, I'd have an 1100 mile drive to the nearest branch.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

Quote from: mgk920 on April 13, 2024, 07:34:13 PM
Quote from: vdeane on April 13, 2024, 04:45:16 PMI can't sign in to online banking anymore.  Whenever I go to my bank's website, I keep getting "connection closed" errors or incomplete page loading.  The bank says it's an issue with all Verizon customers (I have FiOS).  When I talk to Verizon, they just keep running me through the same basic individual troubleshooting steps over and over again and refuse to believe me when I tell them the problem is on their end and that they're somehow blocking access to my bank (and for a while, it ended up taking out all my internet access).  Since I don't have mobile tethering, I now have no way to do online banking at all.  Unfortunately, Spectrum internet/customer service is even worse, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do about all this.

< DUCKS and RUNS!! >

Mike
In my case, it would mean going back to paper statements, billing, and checks.  That would be extraordinarily inconvenient and I'm already all out of filing space with all of this stuff electronic.  Plus my handwriting is garbage and my hand cramps way too easily.  And why should my ISP be able to block me from online banking?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on April 13, 2024, 09:32:45 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on April 13, 2024, 07:34:13 PM

< DUCKS and RUNS!! >

Mike
In my case, it would mean going back to paper statements, billing, and checks.  That would be extraordinarily inconvenient and I'm already all out of filing space with all of this stuff electronic.  Plus my handwriting is garbage and my hand cramps way too easily.  And why should my ISP be able to block me from online banking?

Have you verified the bank's claim it'sa Verizon issue? Is there a way to log in on a non-Verizon device?

If it is Verizon, with it affecting all Verizon customers, it's really an issue the bank needs to work out with Verizon. That does seem like something where general troubleshooting won't resolve the issue.

SSOWorld

you know well @jeffandnicole that they don't get to that point until someone files a lawsuit.  :awesomeface:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

formulanone

I know complaining about multi-factor authentication is pretty common by now, but my expense-reporting phone app wanted me to take photo of a QR code...which was also conveniently located on my phone in order to complete the authentication. Tried the Accessibility Options and that prompted me to make a phone call, but that's only available Monday – Friday.

It was faster to just uninstall the app and start over; since I just have to do that every few years anyhow, email confirmation is just easier.

vdeane

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 13, 2024, 09:57:09 PMHave you verified the bank's claim it'sa Verizon issue? Is there a way to log in on a non-Verizon device?

If it is Verizon, with it affecting all Verizon customers, it's really an issue the bank needs to work out with Verizon. That does seem like something where general troubleshooting won't resolve the issue.
My phone seems to work better, though I don't like the idea of trying to do my banking over the phone.  The small screen size is really inconvenient (I don't have tethering), I'm not sure if the site would even work (even trying to book an eye exam triggers the "some content was removed to save memory" message, bricking the site), and the cell networks strike me as being basically the same as a giant public wifi network from a security perspective (can you Firesheep a cell phone?  No idea, but I don't see why not, other than SSL updates making the world move on from that particular threat).

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Hobart

My university switched to having one of the classroom buildings be card-access only. This isn't a bad thing in itself.

However, with most of the new card readers they installed, the card reader is on the left side of the door, and the left door unlocks, requiring people to walk on the left side through doors despite walking on the right side being considered normal.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: vdeane on April 14, 2024, 04:36:22 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 13, 2024, 09:57:09 PMHave you verified the bank's claim it'sa Verizon issue? Is there a way to log in on a non-Verizon device?

My phone seems to work better, though I don't like the idea of trying to do my banking over the phone.  The small screen size is really inconvenient (I don't have tethering), I'm not sure if the site would even work (even trying to book an eye exam triggers the "some content was removed to save memory" message, bricking the site), and the cell networks strike me as being basically the same as a giant public wifi network from a security perspective (can you Firesheep a cell phone?  No idea, but I don't see why not, other than SSL updates making the world move on from that particular threat).

I do all my banking over the phone on its app. It's very convenient. I do all my investing, retirement savings, bill paying, etc. in a similar manner.

But I only use my home wifi. I use the cellular network if I am away from home.

SSOWorld

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 16, 2024, 09:25:25 AM
Quote from: vdeane on April 14, 2024, 04:36:22 PM

I do all my banking over the phone on its app. It's very convenient. I do all my investing, retirement savings, bill paying, etc. in a similar manner.

But I only use my home wifi. I use the cellular network if I am away from home.
Yea I agree - hands off the finances unless on home or cell wifi.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.