News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadyjay

Quote from: mariethefoxy on December 19, 2020, 01:34:45 PM
they really need to add in advanced signs for Spit Brook Road, like that exit shows up really quickly after the state line and there's no advanced warning its coming up.

No, there's not much warning....
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7004554,-71.4492163,3a,75y,353.92h,86.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIrR8p5PudSKN9Cyu6D6Uuw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Seems like there would be room to do such either on the gantry (whether the gantry is replaced or not remains to be seen) for the last Mass exit (replacing the pull-thru), or a new gantry just past that exit.  It's not like Mass. hasn't helped out NH with signing out of state exits before... On I-95, both the NH welcome center and NH Exit 1 get a gantry still well within Mass borders. 

Pete from Boston

Maybe my experience is limited, but in many times through the "old"  Kelly Square I never sat in a line of 20 cars backed up at it.

Rothman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 22, 2020, 02:34:11 PM
Maybe my experience is limited, but in many times through the "old"  Kelly Square I never sat in a line of 20 cars backed up at it.

Maybe they need to put back that stop sign in the middle of it that everyone ignored anyway.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

NJRoadfan

Maybe they are still looking for the Merit station to guide them.....

The Ghostbuster

Maybe now that US 6 has mileage-based exit numbers on the Mid-Cape Highway, the two non-freeway interchanges on US 6 in Truro and North Truro could also get numbers. The jug-handle interchange at S. Pamet Rd./Truro Center Rd. could become Exit 106, and the Highland Rd. interchange could become Exit 110.

DJ Particle

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 28, 2020, 04:31:43 PM
Maybe now that US 6 has mileage-based exit numbers on the Mid-Cape Highway, the two non-freeway interchanges on US 6 in Truro and North Truro could also get numbers. The jug-handle interchange at S. Pamet Rd./Truro Center Rd. could become Exit 106, and the Highland Rd. interchange could become Exit 110.

Highland Road would likely be Exit 109.  Mile 110 doesn't come up until some point past the north end of the bridge.

SectorZ

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 28, 2020, 04:31:43 PM

The state has said that anything that didn't have an exit number already will not get one. So, things like 28 in Falmouth, US 6 on the outer Cape, US 1 north of Boston, and MA 57 will remain numberless.

Not that I disagree with your wishes, I'm all for it!

Ben114

Took a trip on I-290 today to check out the current sign replacement project between Auburn and Worcester (current exits 7-20). A lot of the auxiliary signs are in, as well as the paddle signs at the end of the ramp, which now utilize the new design with two posts. None of the main exit signs have been placed between exits 20 and 13 westbound. Two signs at the exit for exit 12 have been placed, and were caught on GSV last November.

I did notice two changes to destinations which could be happening. At exit 14 WB (Route 122), this sign has had its destinations changed from Barre / Uxbridge to Grafton / Paxton, which may change the westbound control cities at the exit. At exit 19 WB, an auxiliary sign has been placed stating "Route 12 / use exit 19". Route 12 may be removed from the main BGS for exit 19, which is currently "I-190 to Route 12".

yakra

They're replacing the signs, yet not converting the exit numbers? :pan:
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

shadyjay

Quote from: Ben114 on December 29, 2020, 04:56:05 PM
Took a trip on I-290 today to check out the current sign replacement project between Auburn and Worcester (current exits 7-20). A lot of the auxiliary signs are in, as well as the paddle signs at the end of the ramp, which now utilize the new design with two posts. None of the main exit signs have been placed between exits 20 and 13 westbound. Two signs at the exit for exit 12 have been placed, and were caught on GSV last November.

I believe that sign was put up when the MA 146 expressway was extended to I-290.... not part of this sign replacement project.  That I-290 reassurance shield was most likely part of the currently ongoing sign project, however, as its the smaller size than what MassHighway used to use.

roadman

Quote from: yakra on December 29, 2020, 08:13:32 PM
They're replacing the signs, yet not converting the exit numbers? :pan:

Project was awarded and signs fabricated while the exit renumbering project was still in design.  Per recent MassDOT practice, the exit tabs were designed to accommodate the future numbers.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bob7374

The ongoing MA 18 widening project in Weymouth and Abington has reached a major milestone. With the exception of around the commuter rail bridge in South Weymouth, still under construction, 4 lanes are now open along the route from MA 3 south to MA 139. Here's an example of the nearly completed roadway in Abington:

Other photos of the newly opened lanes are on my Misc. Mass. Photos website:
https://malmeroads.net/mass21c/miscsigns.html#southshore

roadman

Quote from: shadyjay on December 29, 2020, 10:05:54 PM
Quote from: Ben114 on December 29, 2020, 04:56:05 PM

I believe that sign was put up when the MA 146 expressway was extended to I-290.... not part of this sign replacement project.  That I-290 reassurance shield was most likely part of the currently ongoing sign project, however, as its the smaller size than what MassHighway used to use.

You are correct.  Some of the signs on I-290 west at 146 south were replaced as part of an ITS implementation project that included installing new overhead VMS boards.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: shadyjay on December 05, 2020, 09:45:37 PM
Let's not forget the fact that originally there was no freeway between I-95 in Mansfield and MA 24.  MA 25 existed from MA 24, east towards Buzzards Bay.  It was only later that I-495 was built between I-95 and MA 24, then extended later replacing MA 25 only to I-195, then keeping MA 25 beyond.
I realize I'm a tad late on replying to this, I haven't been on this forum for over a month; but I will chime in.

1. The fore-mentioned I-495 extension between I-95 & MA 24 was built & opened to traffic circa 1982.

2. Based on Steve Anderson's BostonRoads.com write-up, such wasn't originally planned to be part of the Interstate system and was to be a northwestern extension of MA 25.  The decision to make such an extension of I-495 instead and have such take-over most of MA 25 east of MA 24 was due to the state having leftover unbuilt Interstate mileage from the earlier-cancelled I-95 & 695 projects in and around Boston. 

Side note: 1977-era BGS for the MA 140 interchange (Exit 7A-B) off I-95 just north of I-95/495 had TO 25 references for the southbound 140 exit (Exit 7A).   Those references were removed when the I-495 extension opened. 

Needless to say, I-495's sequential interchange numbers were reset to their present numbers when the extension opened.  From I-95/Mansfield and northward, the existing exit numbers increased by 12.

In retrospect, when MA 25 was extended to the Bourne Bridge circa 1988; IMHO, such should've been an extension of I-195 from the get-go. 

Tid-bit: Prior to '88, MA 25 ended at the US 6/MA 28 interchange some 2 to 3 miles east of I-195.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

noelbotevera

Is there any explanation behind the madness of state/US routes in Boston?

Some, like US 20 make sense and are fine - enters from Watertown on Beacon Street, then takes over Comm Ave once MA 30 ends. It does intersect with MA 2 twice near Boston University, but it still ends at MA 2.

MA 9 is also fine - enters from Brookline on Huntington Avenue and sticks with it until it ends at MA 28. US 3 - alright, that can be explained because its freeway into Cambridge was cancelled, so it was patched onto the best roads south of I-95/MA 128. It still randomly disintegrates at the Harvard Bridge to become MA 3, and really should take over MA 3, but that's a story for another time.

MA 203 also has a bad case of disintegrating, connecting I-93 to...the Arborway. Same with MA 2, ending up on Beacon Street, and taking the rest of Comm Ave to end...at Arlington Street. It does spawn US 20 but it should take over Comm Ave after crossing the BU Bridge.

The worst offender though is MA 28. It enters from Mattapan on Columbus Avenue, and leaves via the Fellsway, crossing the Charles River Dam. The most direct route is to hop onto Storrow Drive and exit onto the Dam, which it does...southbound. For some random reason, MA 28 NB exits early at the Longfellow Bridge, ending up on Land Boulevard and reconnecting with MA 28 SB at the Dam. To be fair, using MA 28 as a long distance route is silly outside of Cape Cod.

I think that because Boston and Cambridge's streets are so archaic, MassDPW patched these state routes onto the best roads way back when, and haven't bothered changing them in 80+ years.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

dkblake

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 13, 2021, 11:29:01 AM

Some, like US 20 make sense and are fine - enters from Watertown on Beacon Street, then takes over Comm Ave once MA 30 ends. It does intersect with MA 2 twice near Boston University, but it still ends at MA 2.

MA 9 is also fine - enters from Brookline on Huntington Avenue and sticks with it until it ends at MA 28. US 3 - alright, that can be explained because its freeway into Cambridge was cancelled, so it was patched onto the best roads south of I-95/MA 128. It still randomly disintegrates at the Harvard Bridge to become MA 3, and really should take over MA 3, but that's a story for another time.

MA 203 also has a bad case of disintegrating, connecting I-93 to...the Arborway. Same with MA 2, ending up on Beacon Street, and taking the rest of Comm Ave to end...at Arlington Street. It does spawn US 20 but it should take over Comm Ave after crossing the BU Bridge.

The worst offender though is MA 28. It enters from Mattapan on Columbus Avenue, and leaves via the Fellsway, crossing the Charles River Dam. The most direct route is to hop onto Storrow Drive and exit onto the Dam, which it does...southbound. For some random reason, MA 28 NB exits early at the Longfellow Bridge, ending up on Land Boulevard and reconnecting with MA 28 SB at the Dam. To be fair, using MA 28 as a long distance route is silly outside of Cape Cod.

I think that because Boston and Cambridge's streets are so archaic, MassDPW patched these state routes onto the best roads way back when, and haven't bothered changing them in 80+ years.

I read somewhere that Boston isn't a city so much as a performance art project with asphalt and zoning codes as its medium. That would explain most of these.

I actually think 28 is sensible. You've also got the history backwards- it was an original New England route going from Buzzards Bay to New Hampshire, then (I believe) was extended over to Cape Cod with the Bourne Bridge. The spiralish shape looks odd now, but the route is logical. In general, though, state routes don't mean much in Boston- road names hold more purchase over state designations, and no one uses non-Interstates to go through the city (i.e. in one end and out the other).
2dis clinched: 8, 17, 69(original), 71, 72, 78, 81, 84(E), 86(E), 88(E), 89, 91, 93, 97

Mob-rule: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/dblake.gif

Pete from Boston

Now go back and re-analyze all of this with US 1 running down Storrow Drive and the Emerald Necklace.

Also consider the state house/Boston Common/Public Garden as sort of a zero milestone for Massachusetts.

PHLBOS

The current MA 2 routing in that area has existed since 1971.  Prior to then, it ran along the current MA 2A/Mass Ave./Harvard Bridge corridor up to Memorial Drive (then US 1/MA 28).  From there, MA 2 westbound ran concurrent w/US 1/MA 28 southbound along Memorial Drive to the BU Bridge/Brookline St. intersection (then-US 1/3/MA 3/28 jct.).  From there MA 2 would run concurrent w/US 3 further along Memorial Dr. as it does presently.  The MA 2 stretch of Commonwealth Ave. in Boston at the time was MA C1 (pre-Storrow Dr. & truck route alternative).

Years earlier, MA 2 ran further along Mass Ave. (current MA 2A) to the Alewife Brook Parkway (US 3/MA 16).

US 3 - alright, that can be explained because its freeway into Cambridge was cancelled, so it was patched onto the best roads south of I-95/MA 128. It still randomly disintegrates at the Harvard Bridge to become MA 3, and really should take over MA 3, but that's a story for another time.
Heads-up, you're going to get sick of hearing the year 1971 in this post but most if not of the current state routings in the immediate Downtown Boston area date back to such. 

The current US/MA 3 routing in Boston dates back to that year with the present US/MA 3 handoff location* at the Memorial Dr./BU Bridge/Brookline St. (current MA 2) interchange in Cambridge.  Memorial Dr. east of the interchange at the time was US 1/MA 28.  MA 3 southbound ran concurrent w/US 1/MA 28 down to the Arborway (current MA 203) where it & MA 28 veered off US 1.  MA 3 would follow the current MA 203 corridor (MA 28 would veer off MA 3 at the Blue Hill Ave. (then MA C28 north of the intersection)) to the Southeast Expressway (current I-93/US 1) & MA 3A junction.

*Years earlier, the US/MA 3 handoff location was at the US 20 jct. at the Commonwealth Ave./Essex St./BU Bridge intersection.

MA 203 also has a bad case of disintegrating, connecting I-93 to...the Arborway.
See above, prior to 1971; all of 203 such was part of MA 3 & 28.  Prior to 1989, Centre St. & the Jamaicaway at MA 203's western terminus was US 1.  MA 3 & 28 were relocated off the Jamaicaway circa 1971.

Same with MA 2, ending up on Beacon Street, and taking the rest of Comm Ave to end...at Arlington Street. It does spawn US 20 but it should take over Comm Ave after crossing the BU Bridge.
See my earlier reply above, MA 2's current routing dates back to 1971.  It's also worth noting that the MA 2 section of Commonwealth Ave. was the easternmost leg of US 20 prior to 1964.  In retrospect & given the elimination of the C-routes (I'll explain later) circa 1971; US 20 shouldn't have been truncated to its current Kenmore Square location.

The worst offender though is MA 28. It enters from Mattapan on Columbus Avenue, and leaves via the Fellsway, crossing the Charles River Dam. The most direct route is to hop onto Storrow Drive and exit onto the Dam, which it does...southbound. For some random reason, MA 28 NB exits early at the Longfellow Bridge, ending up on Land Boulevard and reconnecting with MA 28 SB at the Dam.
Once again, the current routing dates back to 1971.  Prior to '71, most of the current MA 28 corridor through Downtown Boston was MA C28.  MA 28 back then followed a separate corridor that was concurrent with US 1 and/or MA 3 up through Somerville.  The northern terminus of MA C28 was at the Cambridge side of the Longfellow Bridge (current MA 3).

Speaking of the Longfellow Bridge: I'm not sure where you got your info. but MA 28 northbound does not use the Longfellow Bridge.  It runs for a short distance onto Storrow Dr. eastbound and exits at the Charles River Dam Bridge & has done such since 1971.

To be fair, using MA 28 as a long distance route is silly outside of Cape Cod.
Due keep in mind that this route predated the various expressways/freeways built.  While one may not use such from the NH border to Cape Cod, even then; some would use sizable lengths of it to get to/from their in-state destinations.

As stated earlier, most if not all the current routings of the state routes near/through Downtown Boston date back to 1971 when the C-routes were eliminated.  Prior to '71, just about every state route the entered the immediate Downtown Boston area was a C-route (C1, C9, C28, C37*).  For the most part, MA C9 & C28 pretty much became the extended/realigned MA 9 & 28 respectively; although C9 appeared to have formed an additional oddball loop/extension that was mostly concurrent w/then-MA C1.  MA C1, excluding the Commonwealth Ave. variant, became the realigned US 1 circa 1971.  Over time, US 1 would leave its former C1-corridor south of Saugus (current MA 60 interchange).  In 1975, US 1 was moved onto the Northeast Expressway (former I-95) and in 1989, it was moved off of Storrow Dr., the Fens & the Jamaicaway onto it present concurrencies w/I-93, I-95, MA 3 & MA 128

*MA C37 (MA 37 outside of the downtown area) was truncated to Braintree at I-93/then MA 128 shortly after the Southeast Expressway fully opened circa 1959.

As of Sept. 2019, there's still one remaining MA C1/C9 unishield out in the wild so to speak.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Rothman

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 13, 2021, 11:30:46 PM

As of Sept. 2019, there's still one remaining MA C1/C9 unishield out in the wild so to speak.

Not seeing it in the link...through my phone, at least.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Rothman on January 14, 2021, 07:19:39 AM

There's a pole directly behind the white parked car. It's on that pole, but it's tiny.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on January 14, 2021, 07:21:16 AM
Quote from: Rothman on January 14, 2021, 07:19:39 AM

There's a pole directly behind the white parked car. It's on that pole, but it's tiny.
Ah, okay.  Thanks.

noelbotevera

(quote removed to save space; please click on PHLBOS' username to see his reply)
This definitely explains a lot (along with Pete from Boston's succinct reply) and it makes sense a lot of these changes date to 1971, when Boston considered building more freeways that would obsolete these surface routes. I find it interesting that US 1 was moved much later, however.

I may have been confused to MA 28's routing from consulting this page - making me think MA 28 was somehow routed on Land Boulevard.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

CapeCodder

I think the original intention for the MA 25 freeway was to tie into MA 3, at least as I saw it on a 1982 Cape Cod Street atlas page.

PHLBOS

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 17, 2021, 12:22:30 AMThis definitely explains a lot (along with Pete from Boston's succinct reply) and it makes sense a lot of these changes date to 1971, when Boston considered building more freeways that would obsolete these surface routes. I find it interesting that US 1 was moved much later, however.
Correction: US 1 in the area was moved three times since 1971.

1971: Replaced most of MA C1 routing

1975: Rerouted onto former I-95 northeast of I-93 in response to the cancellation of the proposed portion of I-95 between Saugus (US 1/MA 60) and MA 128 (interchange would be completed circa 1988) in Peabody.

1989: Rerouted onto I-93 south of Storrow Drive interchange & onto I-95 (MA 128) between Canton (I-93) and Dedham/Westwood (US 1/MA 1A) as a means of discouraging thru-truck traffic from using Storrow Drive due to limited overpass clearances aka reduce Storrowing.

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 17, 2021, 12:22:30 AM
I may have been confused to MA 28's routing from consulting this page - making me think MA 28 was somehow routed on Land Boulevard.
Here's how the area on that web-linked photo looks today.  Note that the high-rise building in the background and the MBTA Green Line viaduct to the left are the only two non-road-related landmarks in the vicinity that didn't change since 2004.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.