News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Spelling

Started by Jim, October 07, 2017, 12:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 20, 2017, 12:05:37 PM
I am a little intrigued by all the suggestions upthread to use Preview.  I find myself using it more, mainly to cut verbiage, but I never see red underlining.  (Firefox 48 for Windows 7.)

Red underlining has nothing to do with Preview. If a word is misspelled, red underlining occurs immediately after hitting the spacebar to begin the next word.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

J N Winkler

I figured that was the case.  I still don't see red underlining even with words I intentionally misspell, such as "educashun."
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

adventurernumber1

Quote from: 1 on October 20, 2017, 12:56:02 PM
I am a little intrigued by all the suggestions upthread to use Preview.  I find myself using it more, mainly to cut verbiage, but I never see red underlining.  (Firefox 48 for Windows 7.)

Red underlining has nothing to do with Preview. If a word is misspelled, red underlining occurs immediately after hitting the spacebar to begin the next word.

Come to think of it, I think I do often see red underlining in the white space as I am typing my posts. It may not occur every time, but I think it does happen quite often.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

kphoger

It's easy to tolerate misspelled words here and there.  Not everyone can be bothered to look up every word that might be misspelled, honest mistakes happen, and this isn't school anyway.  But what really gets me is seeing obvious mistakes in a four-word post.  How hard is it to look over a four-word post?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

What used to irk me was the spelling Nazi once used to have a near artery burst when I misused the tense of caption when describing either a video or street view image.  Now yes it is bad grammar, but if we here at the forum know what a person means and its obvious "who the hell cares?"  If its like I misspelled the word cat or a simple word constantly or even minuet is iffy as NE2 would be more than his usual self when I used the famous dance instead which was not purposely done at all.  Sometimes I stumble on simple things as I have personal issues myself that I am slowly learning to correct. 

Some of us if we want to help others correct themselves let us do so in a nice manner instead of starting harsh outbursts like one person raised the roof when another user misspelled a city in the US here.  Then one person on here corrected my misspelling of Colbie Cailat, the singer, as I spelled it as Colby (Good Grief) like a simple mistake there like I hurt the girl's feelings or that this site is the result of a final exam or something.

I think we need not be anal over petty little things here.  No other forum have I seen such critical responses over little things like here.  Its to be a simple place to talk about roads and things, but at times I see flame wars over silly things especially in Fictional Highways where many jump on one's fantasy as if that user was an engineer really planning to build that highway suggested.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 20, 2017, 01:31:06 PM
I figured that was the case.  I still don't see red underlining even with words I intentionally misspell, such as "educashun."

That's probably a browser-dependent function. In your example, the misspelling of education is flagged with red underlining in my browser that I use to post to the forum. I'm using Chrome on a Mac.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kkt

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on October 20, 2017, 02:03:45 PM
Quote from: 1 on October 20, 2017, 12:56:02 PM

Come to think of it, I think I do often see red underlining in the white space as I am typing my posts. It may not occur every time, but I think it does happen quite often.

This is a function of your web browser, not the web site.  In Firefox it comes in in text forms more than 1 line long, unless you have turned it off or there's no language file installed.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on October 20, 2017, 02:04:50 PM
It's easy to tolerate misspelled words here and there.  Not everyone can be bothered to look up every word that might be misspelled, honest mistakes happen, and this isn't school anyway.  But what really gets me is seeing obvious mistakes in a four-word post.  How hard is it to look over a four-word post?
As long as I can tell what the post is saying, I don't care about spelling or grammer.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 21, 2017, 02:37:16 PM
As long as I can tell what the post is saying, I don't care about spelling or grammer.

But that doesn't mean others can tell what it's saying. I had no idea what "RIP YA Title" meant, and I wasn't the only one.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on October 21, 2017, 02:42:54 PM

But that doesn't mean others can tell what it's saying. I had no idea what "RIP YA Title" meant, and I wasn't the only one.
YA Title is a real person and I spelled his name right.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

I think to many people it boils down to the difference between the occasional typo versus an obvious inattention to what you're typing. Everyone makes typos and they're usually no big deal. It happens. Similarly, sometimes you just don't know how to spell a word and you take your best guess. That's normal. There's no reason to pick on every last little mistake as though a typo is a big deal, although of course funny typos are worth noting, and of course we also know there are certain posters who seem to exhibit various sorts of obsessive-compulsive behavior or other conditions that suggest maybe they're unable to control themselves when it comes to noting others' mistakes (I'm not going to name any usernames and I doubt I need to do so).

But some people clearly make no effort to spell correctly or to use proper grammar, capitalization, punctuation, etc., and that's annoying because it's a distraction and because it takes away from the poster's credibility. This isn't a chat room (where comments scroll by quite quickly), nor is it a text message or Twitter (where you have a character limit). You're not in first grade anymore and, for example, you should understand the difference between "should of" (wrong) and "should've" (contraction of "should have"). There's no reason not to make an effort to try to write properly. If you don't at least try, then your comment comes across as indicating you don't care about what you're saying. That in turn raises the question that if you don't care about what you're saying, why should anyone else care about it, much less make the effort to read it and to try to understand the point?

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 21, 2017, 02:53:45 PM

His name was Y.A. Tittle, not "Title." I couldn't care less about omitting the periods and I don't regard that as an error, but you misspelled his last name.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 21, 2017, 02:57:12 PM
I think to many people it boils down to the difference between the occasional typo versus an obvious inattention to what you're typing. Everyone makes typos and they're usually no big deal. It happens. Similarly, sometimes you just don't know how to spell a word and you take your best guess. That's normal. There's no reason to pick on every last little mistake as though a typo is a big deal, although of course funny typos are worth noting, and of course we also know there are certain posters who seem to exhibit various sorts of obsessive-compulsive behavior or other conditions that suggest maybe they're unable to control themselves when it comes to noting others' mistakes (I'm not going to name any usernames and I doubt I need to do so).

But some people clearly make no effort to spell correctly or to use proper grammar, capitalization, punctuation, etc., and that's annoying because it's a distraction and because it takes away from the poster's credibility. This isn't a chat room (where comments scroll by quite quickly), nor is it a text message or Twitter (where you have a character limit). You're not in first grade anymore and, for example, you should understand the difference between "should of" (wrong) and "should've" (contraction of "should have"). There's no reason not to make an effort to try to write properly. If you don't at least try, then your comment comes across as indicating you don't care about what you're saying. That in turn raises the question that if you don't care about what you're saying, why should anyone else care about it, much less make the effort to read it and to try to understand the point?

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 21, 2017, 02:53:45 PM

His name was Y.A. Tittle, not "Title." I couldn't care less about omitting the periods and I don't regard that as an error, but you misspelled his last name.
You learn something new everyday..................... so sorry guys.

1995hoo

Heh, I actually looked online to find out whether he had ever been nicknamed "YA Title" (pronounced with a long "i") before I commented!

hbelkins

Rip YA Title...

That's what the NCAA is going to do with the championship banner that Louisville won while Rick Pitino was coaching, using players lured to U of L with hookers and strippers.

:-D :-D :-D

"Grammar."

You may not care, but if you let that sloppiness become a habit, you'll care one of these days. Say, when you're writing a college application letter or filling out a job application/writing a resume or cover letter/any of a myriad of other real-life functions where your spelling and grammar will be judged -- or more precisely, where you will be judged by your spelling and grammar.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Duke87

Quote from: hbelkins on October 21, 2017, 11:59:06 PM
You may not care, but if you let that sloppiness become a habit, you'll care one of these days. Say, when you're writing a college application letter or filling out a job application/writing a resume or cover letter/any of a myriad of other real-life functions where your spelling and grammar will be judged -- or more precisely, where you will be judged by your spelling and grammar.

This was a subject of some disagreement between me and a couple coworkers a few years back, when we were looking to hire an intern for the summer. The one candidate who appeared to be the best qualified based on his listed experience had unfortunately sent in a CV with a couple typos on it. I argued that on account of this we shouldn't even give him a call. I got outvoted.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

I am a person that "auto-corrects" while reading a post. :bigass:
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

J N Winkler

I try not to harp on others' faults of spelling or grammar because I recognize I am fortunate both come easily to me (four English degrees in my three-person family of readers).  But in an employment context, simple errors in an application dossier represent a missed opportunity to telegraph attention to detail.  On a forum such as this, at best they are silently tolerated rather than accepted as normal.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on October 22, 2017, 12:38:43 AM

This was a subject of some disagreement between me and a couple coworkers a few years back, when we were looking to hire an intern for the summer. The one candidate who appeared to be the best qualified based on his listed experience had unfortunately sent in a CV with a couple typos on it. I argued that on account of this we shouldn't even give him a call. I got outvoted.

I would do the same. I don't care what you list as your experience. If you're not attuned to detail enough to get the most important document of your professional career right, how well are you going to be able to serve my company?

vdeane

I remember a particularly hilarious typo I saw when looking at resumes for an intern.  It said "Car was POS" (under experience).  Needless to say, this person didn't get an interview.  We were tempted to reply wishing him good luck on his job search so he could get a "not POS" car.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on October 22, 2017, 04:22:39 PM
I remember a particularly hilarious typo I saw when looking at resumes for an intern.  It said "Car was POS" (under experience).  Needless to say, this person didn't get an interview.  We were tempted to reply wishing him good luck on his job search so he could get a "not POS" car.

Any idea what it had been intended to say?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on October 22, 2017, 03:51:14 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on October 22, 2017, 12:38:43 AM

I would do the same. I don't care what you list as your experience. If you're not attuned to detail enough to get the most important document of your professional career right, how well are you going to be able to serve my company?

It would probably depend on the type of job.  If he was looking for work as an welder or heavy equipment operator, I'll forgo it.  If the person will be assisting with writing up reports and detailed engineering analysis where a decimal point or a forgotten 0 could mean a lot, then he cost himself a job.

Duke87

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 22, 2017, 04:42:46 PM

I'm guessing it was supposed to say "Car wash POS", with POS in this context meaning "Point Of Sale" - i.e., he worked at the cash register.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on October 22, 2017, 05:05:26 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 22, 2017, 04:42:46 PM

I'm guessing it was supposed to say "Car wash POS", with POS in this context meaning "Point Of Sale" - i.e., he worked at the cash register.
Exactly.  All of the guy's experience was in part time retail jobs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

Wow, how bad was his car  :-D :-D :-D?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 23, 2017, 08:58:03 AM
Wow, how bad was his car  :-D :-D :-D?

Your lack of driving experience really shows here. It is absolutely not difficult, at all, to find a super-cheap, POS car that functions just enough for short day-to-day transport, which is sometimes all that people can afford.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.