News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 42

Started by LM117, May 27, 2016, 11:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

Quote from: LM117 on February 20, 2020, 04:14:11 PM
Quote from: LM117 on September 23, 2019, 07:06:24 PMThat said, I do agree with those that think the Kinston Bypass should've been given higher priority. NCDOT is supposed to announce their preferred alternative this winter. It will interesting to see if they go along with Alternative 1SB, which is what Lenoir County wants.

NCDOT has granted their wish.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-02-20-kinston-bypass-route-selected.aspx

Here's a map for anyone that needs a refresher:

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/kinston-bypass/Documents/alternative-1ue-1sb-key.aspx

It was likely a foregone conclusion that an alignment close to the existing facility would be selected; in a 6+ mile stretch, a few interchanges along the new I-42 freeway would enhance access to the complement of businesses arrayed along the older road -- more often than not these days a political necessity when dealing with local concerns. 

sprjus4

^

I-42 Business Loop  :bigass:

sparker

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 20, 2020, 04:52:25 PM
^

I-42 Business Loop  :bigass:

As if a significant number of drivers pay attention to the green shields -- or the localities even bother to maintain them.  If the state relinquishes the road (standard practice out here in CA; don't know specific NC policy in that regard) and such signs are indeed placed, they tend to rust away or disappear over time.  The best way that businesses can ensure a decent level of customers is to be visible (via signage or otherwise) from the new freeway.

sprjus4

Quote from: sparker on February 20, 2020, 05:03:05 PM
As if a significant number of drivers pay attention to the green shields -- or the localities even bother to maintain them.  If the state relinquishes the road (standard practice out here in CA; don't know specific NC policy in that regard) and such signs are indeed placed, they tend to rust away or disappear over time.  The best way that businesses can ensure a decent level of customers is to be visible (via signage or otherwise) from the new freeway.
Agreed.

The business district clutter (featuring Walmart, Lowes, ALDI, Walgreens, Dollar Tree, fast food restaurants, gas stations, hotels, and more) all centered just west of the 1950s US-70 bypass will be located directly off the Shallow Bypass alternative with interchange access. This will definitely keep those businesses alive having easy access for interstate travelers, and could spur more development such as large truck stop / travel center such as Pilot, Loves, etc.

This is likely an area Kinston was worried about especially if an outer bypass was built.

While the design features a large interchange would most movements satisfied, it lacks US-70 EB to I-42 WB and more importantly I-42 EB to US-70 EB movements, as those are both satisfied about a 1/2 mile west near C.F. Harvey Pkwy with new ramps and an overpass. My opinion is those connections near C.F. Harvey Pkwy should be removed, left as is, and access to US-70 from I-42 fully satisfied with a full interchange at the business district.

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on September 23, 2019, 07:06:24 PMThat said, I do agree with those that think the Kinston Bypass should've been given higher priority. NCDOT is supposed to announce their preferred alternative this winter. It will interesting to see if they go along with Alternative 1SB, which is what Lenoir County wants.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-02-20-kinston-bypass-route-selected.aspx

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/kinston-bypass/Documents/alternative-1ue-1sb-key.aspx
Maybe the best news here is that NCDOT is on schedule: they said they would announce this winter and they did. We're still 10 years from a finished highway.

tolbs17

https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/PDEA/Web/R-2553/july-2019-alternative-maps/R-2553_A1SB_3a.pdf

http://prntscr.com/r5g87u

It looks like both of these bridges are going to be replaced even though they look fairly new and it says they will be 'retained'. It doesn't make sense at all, honestly.

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 20, 2020, 09:14:45 PM
https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/PDEA/Web/R-2553/july-2019-alternative-maps/R-2553_A1SB_3a.pdf

http://prntscr.com/r5g87u

It looks like both of these bridges are going to be replaced even though they look fairly new and it says they will be 'retained'. It doesn't make sense at all, honestly.
Built around 2014 when that section of US-70 was shifted to the north to accommodate an interchange with NC-148 C.F. Harvey Pkwy. They would likely be demolished with this project, only being 10 years old. I can't see any reason to retain them unless the alignment of the US-70 Kinston Bypass was shifted slightly south to cross them before curving to the north.

LM117

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 20, 2020, 05:48:58 PMThe business district clutter (featuring Walmart, Lowes, ALDI, Walgreens, Dollar Tree, fast food restaurants, gas stations, hotels, and more) all centered just west of the 1950s US-70 bypass will be located directly off the Shallow Bypass alternative with interchange access. This will definitely keep those businesses alive having easy access for interstate travelers, and could spur more development such as large truck stop / travel center such as Pilot, Loves, etc.

This is likely an area Kinston was worried about especially if an outer bypass was built.

Exactly, and that's why I would've been shocked if any other alternative was chosen. Even though Goldsboro's bypass is further out, it hasn't had much negative impact to businesses since the city's economy revolves around Seymour Johnson AFB, plus I-795 isn't that far from the downtown district on Center Street, which is currently in the final phase of revitalization. Businesses have been moving closer to downtown in recent years.

Kinston, on the other hand, doesn't really have anything to fall back on since the Global TransPark still hasn't really taken off yet. Building the bypass further out would've caused business to drop.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 20, 2020, 06:56:55 PM

Maybe the best news here is that NCDOT is on schedule: they said they would announce this winter and they did. We're still 10 years from a finished highway.

This also means that this will be the last bypass built for I-42...unless NCDOT decides to bring the Northern Carteret Bypass back from the dead.

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on February 21, 2020, 11:02:28 AM
Exactly, and that's why I would've been shocked if any other alternative was chosen. Even though Goldsboro's bypass is further out, it hasn't had much negative impact to businesses since the city's economy revolves around Seymour Johnson AFB, plus I-795 isn't that far from the downtown district on Center Street, which is currently in the final phase of revitalization. Businesses have been moving closer to downtown in recent years.

Kinston, on the other hand, doesn't really have anything to fall back on since the Global TransPark still hasn't really taken off yet. Building the bypass further out would've caused business to drop.
Goldsboro is also a larger city, and along with I-795 serving as a north-south corridor and the outer US-70 Bypass, it has a 6 mile freeway near the center of the city that was the old US-70 bypass. While it no longer serves thru traffic, it's still an important local corridor that has spurred development off interchanges.

By 2030, Kinston will have a completed I-42 and a completed C.F. Harvey Parkway, and if the NC-11 Eastern Bypass is ever built, that too connecting to I-42.

Roadsguy

The Kinston Bypass is almost the first segment that could be signed I-42 immediately on completion, but the shoulders are still substandard around La Grange and the bypass project doesn't seem to cover widening them.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

goobnav

Quote from: Roadsguy on February 21, 2020, 12:54:08 PM
The Kinston Bypass is almost the first segment that could be signed I-42 immediately on completion, but the shoulders are still substandard around La Grange and the bypass project doesn't seem to cover widening them.

Ah, going to disagree and so would @bob7374, the Clayton Bypass would actually be eligible, it is connected to the interstate system and the Goldsboro bypass would also be eligible.
Life is a highway and I drive it all night long!

Roadsguy

Quote from: goobnav on February 21, 2020, 12:57:04 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on February 21, 2020, 12:54:08 PM

Ah, going to disagree and so would @bob7374, the Clayton Bypass would actually be eligible, it is connected to the interstate system and the Goldsboro bypass would also be eligible.

Immediately on completion, i.e. no interim designation like US 70 Bypass around Goldsboro. The Clayton Bypass (to my knowledge) predates I-42 as a concrete proposal, and while both it and the Goldsboro Bypass could be signed I-42 now, they weren't when they were completed.

Though like I said, the Kinston Bypass being immediately signed I-42 is contingent on the shoulders around La Grange being widened. Has there been any word of that in the next decade?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

sprjus4

^ Nothing for the La Grange Bypass, though wouldn't be hard to do. Will likely happen in the next few years.

Roadsguy

Actually, from Bob Malme's site:

Meanwhile, a project that will resurface and upgrade 3.1 miles of the existing US 70 freeway to Interstate Standards from the Bear Creek Bridge at the end of the Goldsboro Bypass to Willie Measley Road east of LaGrange (Project I-6034) was to be let in September 2019, but in July 2019 that was pushed back to March 2020.

So it'll definitely be fully Interstate standard from I-795 over to the new bypass when it opens. It really would be the first segment of I-42 to qualify for signage immediately upon completion.

sprjus4

Quote from: Roadsguy on February 23, 2020, 08:37:38 PM

Meanwhile, a project that will resurface and upgrade 3.1 miles of the existing US 70 freeway to Interstate Standards from the Bear Creek Bridge at the end of the Goldsboro Bypass to Willie Measley Road east of LaGrange (Project I-6034) was to be let in September 2019, but in July 2019 that was pushed back to March 2020.

So it'll definitely be fully Interstate standard from I-795 over to the new bypass when it opens. It really would be the first segment of I-42 to qualify for signage immediately upon completion.
Hopefully it will be built solely as I-42 with no US-70 or US-70 Bypass designations.

LM117

Quote from: Roadsguy on February 23, 2020, 08:37:38 PM

Funny thing is that NCDOT chief engineer Tim Little told the US-70 Corridor Commission last year that federal approval to sign the Goldsboro Bypass as I-42 had been given, but when I emailed NCDOT to ask when I-42 shields will go up, somebody else responded and basically said that it wasn't officially I-42 yet. The Commission was told one thing and I was told another.

FHWA hasn't updated their interstate logs since December 31, 2018 and the approval supposedly happened in January 2019.

sprjus4

Committee narrows down project priorities
QuoteMOREHEAD CITY – Based on preliminary data scoring, there are several proposed transportation projects in Carteret County that may be competitive enough to receive funding through the State Transportation Improvement Program.

The county transportation committee met Wednesday at the Crystal Coast Civic Center to discuss those potential projects, along with other transportation matters. The county, like others throughout the state, is in the process of selecting projects to submit for consideration in the 2023-32 STIP, a 10-year plan outlining construction funding and schedules. The window to submit projects closes Friday, May 1.

After all projects are in, the N.C. Department of Transportation puts them through a data-driven scoring process known as strategic prioritization. Projects get a score based on a number of factors, such as estimated cost and traffic impacts, and the highest-scoring projects receive funding. The county has a limited number of projects it can submit for scoring, so the committee wants to ensure its choices are as competitive as possible.

To help the committee narrow its long list of proposed projects down to a few top contenders, Eastern Carolina Council Transportation Planning Director B.J. Eversole entered the projects into an online program that gives a preliminary data score, along with cost estimates and other information. He presented the preliminary scores to the committee for consideration during its meeting Wednesday.

Mr. Eversole said a series of projects to improve safety and mobility through the Highway 24 corridor in Carteret County is scoring well, so far. The proposed projects are based on a recent study, which recommended turning the four-lane, 25-plus-mile stretch into a superstreet with designated turning lanes, among other fixes.

For preliminary scoring, Mr. Eversole submitted the overall project as three separate segments, one from the Carteret/Onslow county line to about Taylor Notion Road, another from Taylor Notion Road to Nine Mile Road and the final segment from Nine Mile Road to Highway 70.

"All three of those, so far, are scoring pretty well. Remember these are only partial scores that we have, we have some preliminary scores that are still in progress,"  he said.

Mr. Eversole said the Highway 24 projects are scoring particularly high in congestion reduction and safety improvement measures. Cape Carteret officials, however, have spoken out against the superstreet project through that town.

Some of the other highest-scoring projects, based on the preliminary numbers, are related to various intersection improvements. In addition, roundabouts generally score well because they are relatively cheap to construct and provide high traffic impacts.

Mr. Eversole warned that although the preliminary scores are a useful tool for helping the committee prioritize projects, the scores are not set in stone and project funding isn't guaranteed, even for the best-scoring ones.

"Everything can change, and of course things will change with additional scores coming in,"  he said.

Mr. Eversole also entered a few big-ticket projects into the scoring system to bring the committee back some preliminary cost estimates. He said a northern Carteret bypass to tie in to the future Interstate 42 would cost upwards of $447 million, while the cost of a third Bogue Banks bridge could range from about $233 million to more than $710 million.

The county has requested NCDOT carry out feasibility studies for both the bypass and the third bridge, and Mr. Eversole recommended waiting until the results of those studies before going forward with the projects. The STIP is updated every two years, and the county will have an opportunity to submit the projects during the next round of prioritization.

The transportation committee did not make any decisions this month on which projects to submit for the upcoming STIP, but it did form a subcommittee to work with Mr. Eversole on finalizing the county's list of submissions. The full transportation committee will meet one more time in March before Mr. Eversole plans to submit the projects to NCDOT before the deadline.
So it seems the idea for a Northern Carteret Bypass is still alive. See bolded sections.

tolbs17

Isn't that project too impactful and costly? I think it's better if 42 ends at southern Havelock, but it's okay.

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 25, 2020, 09:20:24 PM
Isn't that project too impactful and costly? I think it's better if 42 ends at southern Havelock, but it's okay.
It would bypass the traffic signal infested corridor from Havelock to Morehead City and complete I-42's intended link from Raleigh to Morehead City.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 25, 2020, 09:29:59 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on February 25, 2020, 09:20:24 PM
It would bypass the traffic signal infested corridor from Havelock to Morehead City and complete I-42's intended link from Raleigh to Morehead City.
Well yeah, It would help a lot with traffic, so it's ultimately needed.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/R-4431_Feasibility-Study_Report_2009.pdf

When looking at this which is old by now, I'm sure they are going to go with the orange one.

LM117

The contract to convert the Wilson's Mills Road and Swift Creek Road intersections into interchanges in Johnston County will be awarded in September.

http://www.johnstoniannews.com/stories/change-coming-soon-to-us-70,202776

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-03-30-cove-city-highay-ramp-closure.aspx

Quote​COVE CITY — A highway ramp in Cove City is scheduled to close for about 12 hours beginning tomorrow morning while contractors make improvements to it.

The exit ramp from U.S. 70 West to N.C. 41 will close at 6:30 a.m. Tuesday and reopen at 7 p.m. Crews plan to close the ramp to pave it to interstate standards.

Traffic wanting to access N.C. 41 will continue traveling westbound on U.S. 70 for about nine miles to the crossover at Dover. Drivers will then take U.S. 70 East back to the N.C. 41 exit.

Motorists should anticipate needing extra time for their commute Tuesday and use caution near the work zone.

The construction is part of the project to bring U.S. 70 up to interstate standards between Raleigh and Morehead City. Crews are widening shoulders and milling and repaving the highway, which will be renamed Interstate 42. The project in Craven County is 32 miles long and costs $25.5 million.

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on March 30, 2020, 03:31:28 PM
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-03-30-cove-city-highay-ramp-closure.aspx

Quote​COVE CITY — A highway ramp in Cove City is scheduled to close for about 12 hours beginning tomorrow morning while contractors make improvements to it.

The exit ramp from U.S. 70 West to N.C. 41 will close at 6:30 a.m. Tuesday and reopen at 7 p.m. Crews plan to close the ramp to pave it to interstate standards.

Traffic wanting to access N.C. 41 will continue traveling westbound on U.S. 70 for about nine miles to the crossover at Dover. Drivers will then take U.S. 70 East back to the N.C. 41 exit.

Motorists should anticipate needing extra time for their commute Tuesday and use caution near the work zone.

The construction is part of the project to bring U.S. 70 up to interstate standards between Raleigh and Morehead City. Crews are widening shoulders and milling and repaving the highway, which will be renamed Interstate 42. The project in Craven County is 32 miles long and costs $25.5 million.
When is that project supposed to be done? At least on the mainline, the entire highway had been resurfaced with new full shoulders with the exception of the western most mile back when I drove through in December 2019.

AcE_Wolf_287

When is I-42 Projected to be done? and when it is done, would US 70 be Truncated to Raleigh? reason why im asking because most of US 70 is being Upgraded

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.