News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Neglected Roads and Bridges Take Toll on U.S. Companies

Started by cpzilliacus, February 23, 2015, 08:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

[WSJ.com is a paywalled site.  If you cannot read this in full, leave me a PM with a real e-mail address and I will send you a link.]

Wall Street Journal: Neglected Roads and Bridges Take Toll on U.S. Companies

QuoteFive minutes here and there adds up to $105 million a year for United Parcel Service Inc.

QuoteThat's what average daily truck delays cost UPS.

QuoteThe company has to send three of its signature dark-brown trucks instead of two onto heavily trafficked routes around New York, Chicago and Los Angeles to ensure on-time package deliveries.

Quote"It's ugly. We operate inefficiently and redundantly, because we have got to deal with the congestion,"  said Thomas Jensen, the company's vice president of transportation policy.

QuoteTransport is one of the weakest links in the corporate supply chain. Mile after mile, America's crumbling infrastructure adds to the cost of moving parts, equipment and inventory across the country.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

SD Mapman

There was an article in my neck of the woods recently about how a deteriorating bridge is going to force logging trucks and other heavy vehicles to take a very roundabout detour. Linky

And the Pioneer is not paywalled.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

vdeane

A good way to get around the paywall is to search for the headline on Google and enter the site there.  They made an exception to the paywall for Google News and it affects search results too.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.