News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Finding New Posts

Started by mrsman, February 02, 2018, 12:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

Is there any way to go directly to the first new post to come in a thread that you are reading?

Let me try to clarify by example.

If I am in the Mid-Atlantic board and I look at the thread list I see the Virgina topic with 110 pages.  Now let's say that the most recent message that I read was last week and would happen to be on page 108 of the Virginia thread.  If I would click on the 108th page, I would see a list of 25 messages - some I have read and some I haven't read, the new ones marked with "NEW".  That's great.  But is there any way to tell me from the Mid-Atlantic board that if I want to read the first new post in the thread I should click on page 108 and not 109 or 107 or 106 etc.

Oh and another problem. If I were  to click on page 110 first and see the full page of "new" if I were to then click on page 109 it marks all the threads as read, even if I never actually read any of those threads.

So is there any easy way to get directly to the  next message in the thread?

hotdogPi

Click on the word "NEW" in the yellow box.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: 1 on February 02, 2018, 12:36:37 PM

:wow: Mind blown. It never occurred to me that the box might be clickable.

This changes things.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 02, 2018, 01:17:50 PM

This changes things.

Same here. I had no idea that that was possible. I have always done things the old-fashioned way and clicked on a certain page of the thread (if I didn't have memorized where I left off) and just hoped that I clicked on the correct one to resume reading where the new posts start.  :D

That is incredibly helpful. Thank you so much for that information. Now browsing the forum in the future will be much easier.  :-P

:clap:  :spin:  :thumbsup:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

webny99

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 02, 2018, 01:17:50 PM

Yeah  :wow: Me either!

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on February 02, 2018, 01:52:42 PM
I have always done things the old-fashioned way and clicked on a certain page of the thread (if I didn't have memorized where I left off)

I always just click the last page, scroll down, and read from the bottom up. I may miss some replies if there are multiple pages, but if it's a thread I'm following, that rarely happens.

It should also be noted that there is a forum setting you can change yourself, which shows all new replies from the top down, instead of from the bottom up. If you choose this setting, you can just click the thread itself to read it, and you'll know when to stop when the "new" boxes stop appearing.

7/8

I feel bad for the poeple who didn't know this. It's such a useful feature.

adventurernumber1

Meanwhile, due to a foolish mistake I made on Tapatalk last night, all of my NEW boxes and unread replies have been reset now anyhow.  :banghead:  :ded:  :-D

When I was on Tapatalk (which even now is a rare occurrence, except when I am posting pictures on here) last night, I somehow clicked the option (out of nowhere) to mark everything read or something like that. Now, there are literally zero NEW boxes anywhere on the forum (even though I have not read most of the hundreds of thousands of posts (or even millions) on this entire forum), except for truly new posts that I have not read yet that have been posted in the last 12 hours. This has hilariously and debilitatingly made me no longer able to find out where I left off in just about anything now. I don't know how the heck I accidentally did this, but it definitely wasn't good. So, looks like I'm starting from scratch now with unread replies, unless there is some way to undo this.  :-D  :paranoid:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: 7/8 on February 02, 2018, 02:36:18 PM
I feel bad for the poeple who didn't know this. It's such a useful feature.

To be fair, it's not exactly intuitive from appearances that it's clickable. I thought it was only an icon to indicate new posts.

froggie

If you're using a forum theme that colors the "New" boxes yellow.  The theme I use does not.

webny99

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on February 02, 2018, 03:02:43 PM(even though I have not read most of the hundreds of tthousands of posts (or even millions) on this entire forum)
The total number of posts in the forum at any given moment displays at the bottom of the home page. Right now, we are at around 598,000, and should surpass 600K sometime this month.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to help you with your Tapatalk issue :paranoid:  :no:

Quote from: froggie on February 02, 2018, 04:39:31 PM
If you're using a forum theme that colors the "New" boxes yellow.  The theme I use does not.
Themes? What themes?  :hmmm:

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

webny99

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 02, 2018, 11:35:54 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 02, 2018, 10:59:37 PM
Themes? What themes?
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=theme

It appears that Froggie is one of just five users using a different theme.  :hmmm:
The total number of members using the default theme (3452) is also greater than the total number of members overall (3419)... which is... rather interesting.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on February 03, 2018, 08:47:00 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 02, 2018, 11:35:54 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 02, 2018, 10:59:37 PM
Themes? What themes?
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=theme

It appears that Froggie is one of just five users using a different theme.  :hmmm:
The total number of members using the default theme (3452) is also greater than the total number of members overall (3419)... which is... rather interesting.

My guess is that exactly 38 members (3452 + 5 - 3419) have been banned. That's just a guess, though.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Quote from: 1
Quote from: webny99
My guess is that exactly 38 members (3452 + 5 - 3419) have been banned. That's just a guess, though.
I actually had that exact thought. It seems accurate that there have been about 38 accounts (not necessarily 38 individual people) that have been banned.

freebrickproductions

It appears that I'm the only person using the Clearview theme. :spin:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

mrsman

I'm glad that there is an answer to my question and I'm glad that I was able to help the other clueless individuals here. This will make my forum reading much more efficient.

Beltway

Very handy to know ... thanks!
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

CNGL-Leudimin

I already knew this for quite a while now.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

intelati49

I actually clicked on the button accidentally a couple times before I realized what I was doing.  :pan:

At first I was annoyed because I was looking for the latest news on [I-49 in Arkansas], but I kept clicking on new and it was sending me back 3 pages and months.  :ded:

jakeroot

I am genuinely, genuinely stunned that others didn't know this. I've been clicking that "new" button basically since I started using the site 4+ years ago. As far as I'm concerned, it's like someone asking if there was a page that showed if there were any new responses to any topics they've previously posted in. It's a feature that's integral to user navigation.

To me, it seems intuitive to click it. On the default theme, the button sticks out dramatically from everything else around it, basically screaming "CLICK ME!" The fact that some users never tried clicking it really surprises me.

What got you to use a different theme?

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on February 05, 2018, 07:25:51 PM
To me, it seems intuitive to click it. On the default theme, the button sticks out dramatically from everything else around it, basically screaming "CLICK ME!" The fact that some users never tried clicking it really surprises me.
I had never even considered the possibility - it does pop out, but I never thought of it as anything more than a notification of new posts. Perhaps the exclamation mark actually deterred me from clicking it - it makes it seem more like a notification and less like a link.

Either way, I'm extremely glad for that knowledge  ;-)

adventurernumber1

Quote from: webny99 on February 05, 2018, 08:53:13 PM
I had never even considered the possibility - it does pop out, but I never thought of it as anything more than a notification of new posts. Perhaps the exclamation mark actually deterred me from clicking it - it makes it seem more like a notification and less like a link.

Either way, I'm extremely glad for that knowledge  ;-)

Same here. I never knew or thought that it could be something that was clickable - I thought it was a notification and a notification only.

But I'm glad I know the truth now, and it does surprise me a lot that I never knew this until now.  :D

Buck87

I am genuinely, genuinely stunned that others didn't know this. I've been clicking that "new" button basically since I started using the site 4+ years ago. As far as I'm concerned, it's like someone asking if there was a page that showed if there were any new responses to any topics they've previously posted in. It's a feature that's integral to user navigation.

That was pretty much my reaction to.

Makes me wonder, are there any other forum features that others (or possibly myself) are missing out on?

jakeroot

Quote from: Buck87 on February 05, 2018, 09:22:08 PM
Makes me wonder, are there any other forum features that others (or possibly myself) are missing out on?

This is a good question. I'm pretty sure I have a good grip on this website's functionality, but I could be missing several things.

The mods ought to create a list of this website's lesser known functionalities. Being able to click the "NEW" button would certainly be on that list, even though (I'm sure) many users already knew about it. Another thing might be the ability to change the theme.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: jakeroot on February 05, 2018, 11:03:14 PM
Quote from: Buck87 on February 05, 2018, 09:22:08 PM

This is a good question. I'm pretty sure I have a good grip on this website's functionality, but I could be missing several things.

The mods ought to create a list of this website's lesser known functionalities. Being able to click the "NEW" button would certainly be on that list, even though (I'm sure) many users already knew about it. Another thing might be the ability to change the theme.

One thing that may fall into that category is this:

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 16, 2018, 05:31:31 PM
Before you even click on the thread, you can look by one of the icons and see if you have already posted in it. It looks like this:

If you see the smiley face, then you have posted in that thread. If you don't, then you haven't.

I posted that in this thread, and it turns out that there may be a good bit of people who actually don't know about it, or didn't know about it.

This is definitely a helpful feature on this forum (knowing if you have already posted at least once in a thread or not), and it is good to know.  :nod:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.