News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 42

Started by LM117, May 27, 2016, 11:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob7374

NCDOT has posted an update about US 70 (Future I-42) upgrade construction in James City, though they seem to have forgotten to include the photo mentioned in the press release:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-11-29-craven-county-james-city-update.aspx

bob7374

As was reported in the Fall 2023 AASHTO Meeting thread, the fall USRN Committee decisions have been posted which include  the approval of the removal of US 70 from the Clayton Bypass along with its return to its original route along now Business 70 through Clayton. All that is preventing I-42 from being signed (and signed only in NC due to OK and AR withdrawing their I-42 applications before the meeting) is NCDOT resolving what to do about NC 42 and the proposed NC 36 renumbering.

For those who haven't seen them, application decisions are at:
https://transportation.org/route/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2023/12/Final_Report_USRN_Fall_2023_R_1.pdf

WashuOtaku

Quote from: bob7374 on December 04, 2023, 09:24:51 PM
All that is preventing I-42 from being signed (and signed only in NC due to OK and AR withdrawing their I-42 applications before the meeting) is NCDOT resolving what to do about NC 42 and the proposed NC 36 renumbering.

I think they are just waiting till the new interchange is completed at this point. Beyond that, their idea of only renumbering NC 42 to NC 36 in part and leaving two segments is a stupid solution. They should do it properly like they did in the past and just completely remove NC 42 by either replacing or extending other routes onto its former alignment.

LM117

While we're on the subject of renumbering, I was in Goldsboro for a few days back in October, and NCDOT still hasn't replaced the US-70 Bypass signs there with I-42 shields.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

bob7374

Quote from: LM117 on December 05, 2023, 11:43:14 AM
While we're on the subject of renumbering, I was in Goldsboro for a few days back in October, and NCDOT still hasn't replaced the US-70 Bypass signs there with I-42 shields.
I have a feeling they are waiting for when the Clayton Bypass is signed. Whenever I have sent NCDOT questions about a timeline for signing I-42 they always have responded about the timing of the signing is related to progress of NC 540 construction for I-40 signing and finalizing the plan to renumber NC 42 around Clayton, never mentioning the Goldsboro Bypass.

bob7374

A recent article about the near completion of the Havelock Bypass in particular and I-42 projects in general by Construction Equipment Guide. It includes construction photos taken by NCDOT. Despite what is mentioned, the Bypass cannot be signed as I-42 until it, and all other US 70 construction projects in the area, until the Kinston Bypass is completed, currently more than 10 years away.
https://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/portion-of-north-carolinas-i-42-reaches-last-year-of-work/63526

bugo

What was going to be I-42 in Oklahoma and Arkansas is going to end up with a different number. I sent an email to my ODOT contact, and he sent me this message:

Quote from: ODOT on May 27, 2016, 11:39:37 AM
The joint Oklahoma/Arkansas I-42 Route Numbering Application was withdrawn shortly before the AASHTO Fall Meeting when we were informed that the Route Numbering Committee had concerns that an I-42 in Oklahoma and Arkansas might cause confusion with the proposed I-42 in North Carolina and were planning to not allow the application to go through. The Committee was also concerned that since there are no current or future plans to connect the two segments of the proposed I-42 they would remain disconnected for the foreseeable future. Typically there is a question and answer time between the States and the Route Numbering Committee while they are making their recommendations, but that was not provided this year as the Route Numbering Committee met virtually only with its members leading up to the AASHTO Fall Meeting. The decision to temporarily withdraw the application was made in conjunction with both Oklahoma and Arkansas DOT leadership. We plan to resubmit this application for the AASHTO Spring Meeting following more communication with the Route Numbering Committee.

froggie

^ That's fresh given the same route numbering committee approved I-87 NC...

vdeane

Quote from: froggie on January 13, 2024, 03:21:22 PM
^ That's fresh given the same route numbering committee approved I-87 NC...
I seem to recall them saying something about it being easier to connect I-87 than it would be for I-89.  Clearly AASHTO is far more optimistic about the prospects of building an interstate across the Delmarva area than anyone has any right to be.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bob7374

I've posted some new photos taken of construction of Future I-42 in Johnston County courtesy of David Johnson including progress building the new interchange with Wilson's Mills Road:

The rest of the photos (and new photos taken by NCDOT posted in the article mentioned above) are available at:
https://malmeroads.net/ncfutints/fut42.html#newphotos and
https://malmeroads.net/ncfutints/fut42.html#newseg7

The Ghostbuster

Hopefully some Interstate 42 signs will be erected this year. The portion between Exit 318 and Exit 326, as well as the Clayton Bypass (Exit 350 to Exit 370) should have gotten Interstate 42 signs by now IMHO.

sprjus4

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 22, 2024, 07:33:20 PMThe portion between Exit 318 and Exit 326, as well as the Clayton Bypass (Exit 350 to Exit 370) should have gotten Interstate 42 signs by now IMHO.

vvv

Quote from: bob7374 on December 11, 2023, 11:30:27 AM
Whenever I have sent NCDOT questions about a timeline for signing I-42 they always have responded about the timing of the signing is related to progress of NC 540 construction for I-40 signing and finalizing the plan to renumber NC 42 around Clayton

The Ghostbuster

froggie

For it to be signed as an Interstate, it needs to be fully approved into the system by FHWA, who have very specifc criteria for such.  It is not a quick process.

sprjus4

Quote from: froggie on January 23, 2024, 12:20:49 AM
For it to be signed as an Interstate, it needs to be fully approved into the system by FHWA, who have very specifc criteria for such.  It is not a quick process.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-03-16-i-42-coming-us-70-corridor.aspx

The FHWA already approved the signing of I-42 along the Clayton Bypass and the Goldsboro Bypass back in 2022. Both freeways are fully built to interstate standards, and connect to existing interstate segments (I-40 and I-795 respectively).

bob7374

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 23, 2024, 07:55:22 AM
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-03-16-i-42-coming-us-70-corridor.aspx

The FHWA already approved the signing of I-42 along the Clayton Bypass and the Goldsboro Bypass back in 2022. Both freeways are fully built to interstate standards, and connect to existing interstate segments (I-40 and I-795 respectively).
Here's a traffic camera image from December 20 showing a ramp to the Goldsboro Bypass still signed as Bypass US 70:

Hopefully a similar image with an I-42 trailblazer can be posted some time this year.

LM117

It's a shame the US-70 Corridor Commission quit posting the minutes from their meetings. The last meeting minutes they posted was from January 2019. They were usually worth reading. No idea why they stopped.

froggie

Sounds to me, then, like it's the NCDOT process that's the hold-up.  The press release you mentioned specifically references that "Engineers with the NCDOT still have to work out the logistics of the change, including drawing up the plans for a contractor to install the interstate signage and mile markers."

sprjus4

Quote from: froggie on January 24, 2024, 09:22:19 AM

Sounds to me, then, like it's the NCDOT process that's the hold-up.  The press release you mentioned specifically references that "Engineers with the NCDOT still have to work out the logistics of the change, including drawing up the plans for a contractor to install the interstate signage and mile markers."
Correct, hence what I said above.

vvv

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 22, 2024, 09:00:56 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 22, 2024, 07:33:20 PMThe portion between Exit 318 and Exit 326, as well as the Clayton Bypass (Exit 350 to Exit 370) should have gotten Interstate 42 signs by now IMHO.

vvv

Whenever I have sent NCDOT questions about a timeline for signing I-42 they always have responded about the timing of the signing is related to progress of NC 540 construction for I-40 signing and finalizing the plan to renumber NC 42 around Clayton

bob7374

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 24, 2024, 10:15:58 AM
Quote from: froggie on January 24, 2024, 09:22:19 AM

Correct, hence what I said above.

vvv

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 22, 2024, 09:00:56 PM

vvv

Presuming it would be a Division level contract there has been no project let or advertised in the last 3 months in Division 4, where Johnston County is located, related to I-42 signing (or NC 42 re-numbering).

LM117

cowboy_wilhelm

Google Earth has updated satellite imagery from February 2024 showing progress on the Havelock Bypass. The imagery will probably show up in Google Maps soon. The NCDOT Construction Progress Report does not have a revised completion date posted, but it's clear it won't be finished by May. If the weather cooperates, I'm guessing a fall completion may be possible.

jcil4ever

Look like the Havelock Bypass is still officially at least a year off: Havelock bypass construction delayed, city remains optimistic for spring 2025 opening

bob7374

Google Maps has updated its Street View coverage along US 70 between US 17 in New Bern and NC 101 in Havelock. I have made many screen captures of construction through James City:

and of the western end of the Havelock Bypass:

and have placed them on my Future I-42 in NC page:
in the Segment 6 and 7 photo sections.

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ygcoSVCATmVmenxK9
If NC copied Texas and convert the frontage roads into one ways and build underpasses at each at grade with Texas U Turns and exit ramps being slip rams to the parallel road. Minimal disruption will be made to upgrade into interstate freeway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.