News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Eisenhower Expressway was I-90 in '77. Why did it change?

Started by dzlsabe, October 27, 2015, 10:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dzlsabe

Quote from: ixnay on July 23, 2016, 07:20:37 AM
If the I-90 of dzlsabe's dreams becomes reality, what would the number of the Kennedy between the Junction and the Tri-State become?

ixnay
I-92
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

I-39

Stop arguing with this user. He's a troll.

Can this thread be locked?

Stratuscaster

I was going to address the counterpoints, but I grow weary of wasting my time trying to have a discussion with someone that clearly does not with to engage in one and would rather be an ignorant smartass.

Instead, I'll answer the question as best I can and be done here.

Quote from: dzlsabe on July 19, 2016, 01:14:45 AM
The point of this topic is "WHY did it change"?
QUESTION: Eisenhower Expressway was I-90 in '77. Why did it change?

ANSWER: To make I-294 connect with I-94 on both ends, and to provide a more direct link between the Skyway and the Jane Addams Memorial (nee Northwest) Tollway.

DETAILS (cribbed from http://forgottenchicago.com/articles/to-90-or-290/ )
QuoteThe Eisenhower was signed as I-90 from its beginning. In order to link it with the Northwest tollway, I-90 was routed north along I-294, the Tri-State tollway, from the Hillside interchange until the Rosemont interchange, where the Northwest tollway begins. Counterintuitive at worst, right? This is where it gets confusing. The two in I-294 indicates that it is a beltway, ideally, that it deviates from I-94 and reconnects with it at another point beyond the inner city. The Calumet expressway, which ran south from the city beginning at 103rd and Stony Island, was signed as I-90. It connected with I-294 and I-80 in Lansing where it went east along I-80. West of the Calumet, I-294 ran along I-80 until it broke off and became the Tri-State tollway. At no point does I-294 actually merge back with I-94. It merges with I-80 and I-90, runs east signed I-80/90 and eventually meets up with I-94 in Gary.

This confusion may be attributed to the fact that there were no interstate routes running through the city, linking all of these routes properly. However, even after the Kennedy and Dan Ryan expressways were built, incongruity was furthered. The Dan Ryan was signed as I-90/94, as it is currently. The Skyway was signed as I-94, and the Calumet as I-90 — today they are reversed. The Northwest expressway, which was soon renamed for the late President Kennedy, was signed as I-94 until the Edens expressway which carries I-94 north. After this split, the Kennedy was signed IL-194 for the short period until the Rosemont interchange, with IL-194 continuing as a spur into O'Hare.

Essentially, the routing of I-90 was the source of confusion. This changed when the interstates were re-signed with their current alignments. The Kennedy became I-90/94, the O'Hare spur became I-190, the Calumet expressway and Skyway were switched, finally connecting I-94 with I-294. The Eisenhower became I-290.

dzlsabe

You grow "weary of wasting your time"? You poor thing. Take some time off. Your magnificent intellect needs to recharge.

Quote from: Stratuscaster on July 23, 2016, 07:41:37 PM
quote author=dzlsabe link=topic=16744.msg2160032#msg2160032 date=1468905285]
The point of this topic is "WHY did it change"?
QUESTION: Eisenhower Expressway was I-90 in '77. Why did it change?

ANSWER: "To make I-294 connect with I-94 on both ends, and to provide a more direct link between the Skyway and the Jane Addams Memorial (nee Northwest) Tollway."

Huh? The more direct link is more like the way it was in '77.   https://imgur.com/IAt9KVf  Not cramming it on the Kennedy.

DETAILS (cribbed from http://forgottenchicago.com/articles/to-90-or-290/ )
QuoteThe Eisenhower was signed as I-90 from its beginning. In order to link it with the Northwest tollway, I-90 was routed north along I-294, the Tri-State tollway, from the Hillside interchange until the Rosemont interchange, where the Northwest tollway begins. Counterintuitive at worst, right? This is where it gets confusing. The two in I-294 indicates that it is a beltway, ideally, that it deviates from I-94 and reconnects with it at another point beyond the inner city. The Calumet expressway, which ran south from the city beginning at 103rd and Stony Island, was signed as I-90. It connected with I-294 and I-80 in Lansing where it went east along I-80. West of the Calumet, I-294 ran along I-80 until it broke off and became the Tri-State tollway. At no point does I-294 actually merge back with I-94. It merges with I-80 and I-90, runs east signed I-80/90 and eventually meets up with I-94 in Gary.

This confusion may be attributed to the fact that there were no interstate routes running through the city, linking all of these routes properly. However, even after the Kennedy and Dan Ryan expressways were built, incongruity was furthered. The Dan Ryan was signed as I-90/94, as it is currently. The Skyway was signed as I-94, and the Calumet as I-90 — today they are reversed. The Northwest expressway, which was soon renamed for the late President Kennedy, was signed as I-94 until the Edens expressway which carries I-94 north. After this split, the Kennedy was signed IL-194 for the short period until the Rosemont interchange, with IL-194 continuing as a spur into O'Hare.

Essentially, the routing of I-90 was the source of confusion. This changed when the interstates were re-signed with their current alignments. The Kennedy became I-90/94, the O'Hare spur became I-190, the Calumet expressway and Skyway were switched, finally connecting I-94 with I-294. The Eisenhower became I-290.
[/quote]

Everybody gets I-94, I-294, I-80, even parts of I-90.

And yes, "the routing of I-90 was (OR IS) the source of confusion." "This changed when the interstates were re-signed with their current alignments." OR its as bad or worse than it ever was. Playing "musical exway re-signing" is/ or was NOT the cure.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.