News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What Happened to the Indiana Highway Ends Site?

Started by silverback1065, December 14, 2015, 01:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

I noticed that the link doesn't lead to anywhere anymore, does anyone know what happened to the site and the author?  It was a great resource.

bmeiser

silverback1065

this was the link I used: http://www.highwayexplorer.com/IndianaHighwayList.php
I've never seen the site you listed before.

mukade

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 14, 2015, 01:15:47 PM
I noticed that the link doesn't lead to anywhere anymore, does anyone know what happened to the site and the author?  It was a great resource.

I am the author. A couple of things:
- Because of my heavy work schedule, I have not had any time to maintain it. If anyone wants to pitch in, that would be great.
- The hosting cost was high so I need to find one that makes more sense

I will see if I can get it rehosted over the holidays. Over time, it really needs to be converted to HTML5 for a better experience. Also, I am not sure the Google Maps even work anymore because I did that all in the old version.

silverback1065

Quote from: mukade on December 14, 2015, 06:35:02 PM

- Because of my heavy work schedule, I have not had any time to maintain it. If anyone wants to pitch in, that would be great.

I will see if I can get it rehosted over the holidays. Over time, it really needs to be converted to HTML5 for a better experience. Also, I am not sure the Google Maps even work anymore because I did that all in the old version.
O wow awesome! Your website was amazing! A great resource for research. I went to it today to see what the original routing of SR 37 (did 66 &37 always have that overlap?) was in tell city and noticed it was down. I could send pictures to help, I don't know anything about websites, so I can't help program.

mukade

Thanks.

It was all written in PHP so you can maintain it simply thru the admin web page. So nothing HAS to change, but it needs to be modernized at some point.

One other thing of course is keeping up with the numerous decommissionings. I think the last one I updated was in 2014.

NWI_Irish96

I also want to pass along my thanks.  I've learned a lot from that site. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

mukade

silverback1065

does the site have an email for people to send information and pictures of routes?  I noticed a few of the pictures had started disappearing, I'm sure a lot of us on here would love to help you out with new info and pictures of highways and construction around the state.

The Ghostbuster

Alex

Quote from: mukade on December 14, 2015, 06:35:02 PM

I know we had previous discussion over some of the issues with the highwayexplorer.com site when images stopped appearing. Still want to thank you again for your work on the site over the years. I used it many times when researching and writing pages for Indiana and Illinois guides on AARoads.

mukade

Quote from: Alex on December 30, 2015, 11:39:49 AM
[I know we had previous discussion over some of the issues with the highwayexplorer.com site when images stopped appearing. Still want to thank you again for your work on the site over the years. I used it many times when researching and writing pages for Indiana and Illinois guides on AARoads.

Thanks for the comments. I did renew the domain thru mid-2017 so I might stand it up again in 2016. I have a huge presentation at work I am preparing for so if I do, it will be after January.

As for the disappearing images, the thumbnails were displayed using a PHP program I wrote a long time ago. When the hosting service upgraded PHP, the images stopped displaying. I am not sure why and there was only limited time to troubleshoot, but as I am sure you know very well, keeping a web site up is not trivial because there is so much that has to be done.

mobilene

I'm late to this party but I just discovered today that the site was down while doing some research. Despite the broken images and maps, it remains a very useful resource -- the only place on the Net with any credible information about the 1917-1926 state road system. I hope you find a minute to put it back up!
jim grey | Indianapolis, Indiana

roadgeek

Those are great websites. It's sad many of them have already disappeared.
My Road Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadgeek31/

Keep checking back for updates!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.