News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

IN SR 25 Upgrade Report

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 07:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

mukade where did you get that sign info?

mukade

Go to https://netservices.indot.in.gov/ViewDocs2.0/.

Get the contract numbers from any of the lettings pages. In the drop down select "Plan/Drawing Sets". Choose traffic documents if they exist - otherwise, select road plans.

tdindy88

Thanks to you I know how to navigate there, but any idea what contract number, or what district and time the plans for those signs came from?

mukade

US 231 is 29161  -- I would love for someone to figure this one out
SR 25 is 30853

You can also search by district and date (just specify a year if you don't know a month).

Otherwise, use http://www.state.in.us/dot/div/contracts/letting/index.html

PurdueBill

Interesting in the SR 25 plans--exiting 25 NB at the new interchange near Logansport, they have a sign for 25 NB as a left turn along with 24WB/35NB, but the sign for Rochester left is at the second intersection.  Is 25 taking Burlington Avenue into Logansport?  If so, they have an error in the plans.  If 25 is somehow supposed to turn onto 24WB/35EB, then why is the Rochester sign at the following intersection?  Something is weird.

From page 165 of those plans, it looks like maybe NO NAME is a placeholder for a ramp to the existing US24/35 westbound as the new alingnment curves southeast toward the new construction.  Interesting that "Logansport" or "Downtown Logansport" isn't on a sign in the plans, as there are existing signs for Logansport at the exit off the existing bypass.

Also, putting some pages together, it seems like the existing at-grade "interchange" between 24/35 and IN 29 just south of the existing (to remain) rail overpass and the existing IN 25 interchange (does that stay or not?) seems like it may stay as a T-intersection.  I thought that section of the existing 24/35 was going away, but the plans seem to show it.  Doesn't that mean keeping a couple overpasses in service that would otherwise be able to go away?  (Plans for removal of existing signs show removal of a lot of the existing signs there but not all, including a yellow double-arrow, and separate sheets for new signage show new signage at that location at an intersection.)

silverback1065

25 will be routed onto burlington ave

mukade

Quote from: PurdueBill on June 26, 2012, 06:10:21 PM
Interesting in the SR 25 plans--exiting 25 NB at the new interchange near Logansport, they have a sign for 25 NB as a left turn along with 24WB/35NB, but the sign for Rochester left is at the second intersection.  Is 25 taking Burlington Avenue into Logansport?  If so, they have an error in the plans.  If 25 is somehow supposed to turn onto 24WB/35EB, then why is the Rochester sign at the following intersection?  Something is weird.

From page 165 of those plans, it looks like maybe NO NAME is a placeholder for a ramp to the existing US24/35 westbound as the new alingnment curves southeast toward the new construction.  Interesting that "Logansport" or "Downtown Logansport" isn't on a sign in the plans, as there are existing signs for Logansport at the exit off the existing bypass.

Also, putting some pages together, it seems like the existing at-grade "interchange" between 24/35 and IN 29 just south of the existing (to remain) rail overpass and the existing IN 25 interchange (does that stay or not?) seems like it may stay as a T-intersection.  I thought that section of the existing 24/35 was going away, but the plans seem to show it.  Doesn't that mean keeping a couple overpasses in service that would otherwise be able to go away?  (Plans for removal of existing signs show removal of a lot of the existing signs there but not all, including a yellow double-arrow, and separate sheets for new signage show new signage at that location at an intersection.)

The Rochester sign I saw in the plans (SR 25 NB) is correct. The westbound side of current US 24/US 35 stays, but the plans show EB being removed.

PurdueBill

Quote from: mukade on June 26, 2012, 07:12:33 PM
The Rochester sign I saw in the plans (SR 25 NB) is correct. The westbound side of current US 24/US 35 stays, but the plans show EB being removed.

Yes, saw that at the eastern point where 24/35 diverges onto its new alignment and the next sheet west, that it appears that the existing westbound side seems to stay.  However, at the existing intersection with IN 29, it shows a divided highway intersecting current 29/future 24/35.  Can't tell from the plans what happens in between without poring over all the pages...it must be in there somewhere.

The interesting thing about the sign on the ramp carrying IN 25 NB approaching the first intersection (with current IN 29, future 24 WB/35 NB) is that it says

↑ Rochester
← Monticello
← Laporte

But at the intersection, IN 25 NB, US 24 WB, and US 35 NB are _all_ posted as being to the left.  IN 25, which has Rochester as its control city, isn't until the NEXT intersection, Burlington Ave.  So the Rochester sign is correct as I thought/said, but the IN 25 signage needs to move by one intersection, right?

mukade

Which page has those signs?

The INDOT web site "projects" area has an aerial map of SR 25, and it shows the old route is divided where it meets the N-S road that carries SR 29. I think I posted that link in one of the threads.

PurdueBill

Quote from: mukade on June 26, 2012, 08:28:42 PM
Which page has those signs?

The INDOT web site "projects" area has an aerial map of SR 25, and it shows the old route is divided where it meets the N-S road that carries SR 29. I think I posted that link in one of the threads.

Page 159/203 has the destination sign; Page 160/203 has the discrepant shield assembly at the first intersection of the ramp. 

Also, page 169/203 shows "RMA-15" for the shield assembly at the intersection of the WB ramp with Burlington Ave, and it appears to show IN 25 NB right......and IN 25 SB LEFT (not straight)!!  Hmm.

P.S. This is the Road Plans for contract 30853 from https://netservices.indot.in.gov/ViewDocs2.0/.

mukade

Quote from: PurdueBill on June 26, 2012, 08:35:46 PM
Page 159/203 has the destination sign; Page 160/203 has the discrepant shield assembly at the first intersection of the ramp. 

Also, page 169/203 shows "RMA-15" for the shield assembly at the intersection of the WB ramp with Burlington Ave, and it appears to show IN 25 NB right......and IN 25 SB LEFT (not straight)!!  Hmm.

P.S. This is the Road Plans for contract 30853 from https://netservices.indot.in.gov/ViewDocs2.0/.

RMA-2 is misplaced on the map on 160 for sure. That assembly should be on SR 29 near R5-1.

I agree, RMA-15 has the wrong arrow for SB SR-25.

Other interesting contract numbers include:
- 30845  SR 25 Delphi interchange
- 30111  US 31 Kokomo traffic plans
- 33291  I-69 at Union Chapel Road

silverback1065

any chance that unnamed section that will soon be former us 24/35 will become a new state route? or will it be handed over to logansport?

mukade

US 231

mukade

Quote from: US 231 on July 18, 2012, 10:57:32 PM
Check this news story out on SR 25 east of Lafayette.

http://www.wlfi.com/dpp/news/local/State-Road-25-Hoosier-heartland-highway-may-have-roundabout-in-Lafayette

That was discussed earlier in this thread, and the roundabout is already half built. This is the way it looked today:

Except for pavement markings and signs, the highway seems complete from the roundabout in Lafayette to just west of Delphi. The next section to US 421 is coming along nicely, but has a few months to go. From US 421 east, it is mostly under construction, but near Clymers, the new road is open as shown in the picture below.

Construction on the last stretch from Logansport west has not begun, but should start soon.

Heartland plan hits milestone (Kokomo Tribune)

mukade

Hoosier Heartland still on schedule (on YouTube)

Following up on the US 31 South Bend video...

This is from last year, but is still mildly interesting. If it had showed the Lafayette section, it would have been better.

silverback1065

Is the whole route scheduled to be finished this yr?

mukade

mukade

I took a drive down the Hoosier Heartland corridor and it looks to be under construction from end to end. As the final contract was awarded August 3, I was pretty surprised to see a lot earth work done in that section.

Except for the actual roundabout at SR 25 and old SR 25 and where the connector from the HH to meets old SR 25 just west of Delphi, the west end is done (including signage). Further, asphalt paving is underway from that connector to US 421 in Delphi. As INDOT may open the western section in October, I am not sure if the plan is to open it to US 421 or to the connector.

East of there, I saw a lot of progress, but nothing except the area around Clymers that is already open has been paved. The closest thing to it was soil stabilization being done in two areas.

Looking southwest to the new roundabout and I-65 in Lafayette

US 421 interchange on the Hoosier Heartland in Delphi

Hoosier Heartland over Kokomo Pike in Logansport

The new route of the Hoosier heartland (US 24/US 35) veering south of the existing road in Logansport. The existing road in the foreground will presumably be removed.

mukade

The section of new SR 25 from Delphi to I-65 is all signed and striped except for the roundabout on the west side and connector on the east side. The traffic at the roundabout is actually using the new eastbound lanes of the new road/roundabout while they are building/rebuilding the westbound lanes to I-65. Looks like maybe a month or so before it is open.

From the Delphi connector to the new interchange at US 421, the paving appears to be close to complete. I am not sure when this part is scheduled to open. Definitely, the whole project from Lafayette to Logansport is under construction if not open.

Looking west from CR 500E (Tippecanoe County) not far from the roundabout. This section will be the first to open.

Looking east from CR 800W (Carroll County) in Delphi toward the new US 421 interchange

NWI_Irish96

From the INDOT-NW Facebook page:

"Ready for the first leg of the new State Road 25 Hoosier Heartland to open? We're about a week away from traffic hitting the road on the stretch between Delphi and Lafayette!"
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

mukade

That makes sense as the I-65/SR 25 interchange is closed so they can tie it in. From what I saw from I-65 Sunday, the big roundabout looked very close to completion. The mainline from the roundabout by I-65 to US 421 in Delphi is all striped and signed.

RoadWarrior56

I was up there last weekend for the Purdue Homecoming.  Too bad SR 25 wasn't open yet and also too bad it rained so hard that afternoon.  Since I was involved with the concept design and location, I especially want to drive it at some point.  The less said about the football game with Wisconsin, the better.

mukade

mukade

The link below is an editorial from the Lafayette Journal Courier (jconline) on the imminent opening of a key section of the Hoosier Heartland:

If you've ever driven between Lafayette and Delphi, you know the story about Indiana 25.

It's narrow, with what the Indiana Department of Transportation calls "minimal earth shoulders"  that came with the circa-1931 design.

It's hilly. The rolling terrain...

Editorial: Finally, the Hoosier Heartland

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.