News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Roanoke to New Jersey

Started by jerseyguy, June 09, 2013, 09:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerseyguy

Jackson, NJ (I-195 corridor) to Roanoke
IWell I came down here on Saturday I decieded not to take the PA turnpike because of all the construction (Not active but still makes the ride a bit more difficult) and because there was a Car Show in Carlisle (the breezewood from PA TPKE to I-81). So I drove I-195/NJ 29/US 1/I-95/I-695 /I-70/I-81. I think that was a mistake because the drive thru DE/MD was awful. I hit an accident I-95 near exit 30 in philly but that could have happened anywhere (30 minute delay).

So that question is on my way back, will the PA turnpike be ok, is there lots of construction active or not between NJ Turnpike Bridge and Carlisle??

Also are they really enforcing the new 70 limit in VA, I saw a guy who passed me while I was doing 70 but couldn't have been going more than 75 get pulled over?

1995hoo

Where was the guy pulled over? In some places they're quite strict. The 60-mph zone near Roanoke is one such area. In others there's little enforcement.

But either way, keep it under 80 mph in Virginia. Anything over 80 is grounds for a reckless driving ticket (if the cop wants to write one) regardless of the posted speed limit (that is, 81 in a 70 zone is still grounds for a reckless).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jerseyguy

It was somewhere south of Staunton on the 81/64 concurrency. I knew about the 80=reckless thing, that's why I was only doing 70 so I wouldn't accidentally hit 80 not paying attention.

hbelkins

Quote from: jerseyguy on June 10, 2013, 06:03:12 AM
It was somewhere south of Staunton on the 81/64 concurrency. I knew about the 80=reckless thing, that's why I was only doing 70 so I wouldn't accidentally hit 80 not paying attention.

Speaking of, they STILL don't have that truck climbing lane finished on 81 north/64 east between Lexington and Staunton. I don't know why that project is taking so long to get done.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

djsinco

Having just driven the length of 81 in VA last week, I had my cruise set 1-2 over the limit as much as possible. Many were driving 80+, even passing by well hidden trooper cars. I only saw a few pulled over for tickets. My biggest concern is that between the poor choices made by the police in stopping vehicles around a curve or past the crest of a hill. That, coupled with the law requiring everyone to move to the left lane to pass the trooper's vehicle, came very near to causing collisions. One in particular involved a "small" (~2,000 gallons,) gasoline tanker who almost "merged" into the tractor trailer alongside him, in his manic need to get to the left lane. I saw this happen even more often in TN (I drove 81, 40, 75, and 59 in TN.)

Has any state considered requiring these ticket stops be mandated to occur only at an exit ramp? It seems like I saw a few close calls in only a few hours, and there must be at least a few unnecessary accidents caused by this...
3 million miles and counting

agentsteel53

Quote from: djsinco on June 19, 2013, 02:56:25 PMOne in particular involved a "small" (~2,000 gallons,) gasoline tanker who almost "merged" into the tractor trailer alongside him, in his manic need to get to the left lane.

idiot, idiot, idiot.

that's the driver who should be given the citation, not those who are driving perfectly safely at 82mph.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

Quote from: djsinco on June 19, 2013, 02:56:25 PM
Having just driven the length of 81 in VA last week, I had my cruise set 1-2 over the limit as much as possible. Many were driving 80+, even passing by well hidden trooper cars. I only saw a few pulled over for tickets. My biggest concern is that between the poor choices made by the police in stopping vehicles around a curve or past the crest of a hill. That, coupled with the law requiring everyone to move to the left lane to pass the trooper's vehicle, came very near to causing collisions. One in particular involved a "small" (~2,000 gallons,) gasoline tanker who almost "merged" into the tractor trailer alongside him, in his manic need to get to the left lane. I saw this happen even more often in TN (I drove 81, 40, 75, and 59 in TN.)

Has any state considered requiring these ticket stops be mandated to occur only at an exit ramp? It seems like I saw a few close calls in only a few hours, and there must be at least a few unnecessary accidents caused by this...

Technically it's "move over or reduce speed" in recognition that it's not always safe nor practical to move over.

Of course, from my observation many drivers do neither, especially in Northern Virginia.

NE2

It really doesn't help that it's advertised as the "move over law".
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: djsinco on June 19, 2013, 02:56:25 PM

this would be ideal.

whenever I am pulled over, I put on my hazards and then proceed to the next safe place to stop.  this could be on the freeway - so long as it has a wide shoulder and good sight lines - or it could be the next exit.  I feel like having the cop feel safe is not just basic decency, but also my first step towards talking my way out of the ticket!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

Quote from: NE2 on June 19, 2013, 03:52:42 PM
It really doesn't help that it's advertised as the "move over law".

I think that's partly a function of the media trying to use soundbite-style reporting. The Virginia State Police call it the "Slow Down Move Over" law.

On the whole, though, I've always operated under the principle that I first try to move over, if it's safe and clear to do so, when I see a stopped vehicle on the shoulder, and that includes a non-emergency vehicle like someone changing a flat tire. Staying in my lane and slowing down is the backup option when it's not feasible to move over. To me it just seems like common sense and common courtesy, regardless of whether there's a law requiring it.

NJRoadfan

FWIW the OP should be familiar with the "move over" law as NJ passed  its own version a few years ago. Its rarely followed in NJ though unlike the southern states where it seems like it causes more accidents with people frantic to get out of the right lane. As far as the 70mph enforcement goes, at least on I-85 it appears the cops doing radar are looking for easy 80+mph reckless driving tickets. 75mph is for the most part "safe" to do. Just be mindful of speed limit reductions. Cops love to hang out at the end of 70mph zones and catch people.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 02, 2013, 12:08:46 AM
FWIW the OP should be familiar with the "move over" law as NJ passed  its own version a few years ago. Its rarely followed in NJ though unlike the southern states where it seems like it causes more accidents with people frantic to get out of the right lane. As far as the 70mph enforcement goes, at least on I-85 it appears the cops doing radar are looking for easy 80+mph reckless driving tickets. 75mph is for the most part "safe" to do. Just be mindful of speed limit reductions. Cops love to hang out at the end of 70mph zones and catch people.

Headed south on the Turnpike after the Brick meet, I came upon two NJSP cars on a traffic stop on the right shoulder southbound in the 4 lane section (someplace between 4 and 1).  I was driving between 65 and 70 MPH, as I usually do on that part of the Pike, and dutifully moved over to the left lane to comply with the law. 

Some jackass came up behind me and was about to pass on the right until he noticed the two cars with the red and blue light bars going (it was well after sunset, and those lights would have been hard for a vision-impaired person to miss), then he visibly slowed down and got back behind me.

After I was past the traffic stop, I signaled a move to the right lane, which pissed-off Speed Racer even more as he still wanted to pass me on the right.  I got over in the right lane and he passed me on the left at a speed well over 80 MPH. 

Question for anyone from New Jersey that might know - why do the (marked) NJSP cars have red and blue lights facing the rear, but red and white facing forward?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.