News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Candy

Started by CoreySamson, March 23, 2021, 01:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Y'all are just haters, man.  Black licorice and Snickers bars are awesome.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

No, Snickers and candy corn are awesome.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

I didn't really like candy corn much, but I found last Halloween that they seem to pair well with something salty (like miniature pretzels).

kphoger

More...

Overrated:  Hershey's Kisses . 3 Musketeers . Tootsie Roll Pops

Underrated:  Skor . Mounds . Oh Henry!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

interstatefan990

Quote from: formulanone on March 25, 2021, 11:25:11 AM
I didn't really like candy corn much, but I found last Halloween that they seem to pair well with something salty (like miniature pretzels).

I agree. Candy corn gets way more hate than it deserves.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

ErmineNotyours

1. Favorite: Canadian Kit-Kat bars.  Hershey's changed the formula in the US, and even the European import tastes like the current US formula for Nestle Crunch, which isn't a good thing.  Japanese Kit-Kat are in a league of their own and can't be compared.  But I haven't been able to have Canadian Kit-Kats for over a year because of the border closure.

2. Worst: Brach's black licorice jelly beans.  The ropes by comparison are okay.  The strawberry ropes bring back memories of candy and soda at the drive-in.

3. Overrated: U. S. Kit-Kat.  Seriously, if people knew what they were missing there might be a revolt.  But if Sour Patch are big sellers here, then our taste buds have been blown out.

4. Underrated: Ferrero Eggs, Hazelnut version.  In years past, Fred Meyer (Kroger) underbuys this and it sells out weeks before Easter, but until this year, Wallgreens had enough to last the holiday.  Not this year, in these uncertain times.  Too much of it is bad for me anyway.

bandit957

I remember having a Kit Kat on a family trip to Canada when I was about 7. Canadian Kit Kats are so much better than U.S. Kit Kats. They're completely different.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

formulanone

Frankly, I don't really notice the difference in US/Canada Kit-Kats, though the Canadian version is a larger volume package. Since 2015, I've almost exclusively had the dark chocolate ones, and I haven't been impressed with the non-chocolate varieties I've had (green tea, apple, raspberry).

JoePCool14

1. What is your favorite candy?
3 Musketeers - I like the texture, and they also taste good frozen.

2. What is your most hated candy?
Reese's - I just don't like peanut butter in my candy.
Anything with treenuts (almonds, pecans, etc.) - Dishonorable mention, because I have a treenut allergy.

3. What is the most overrated candy?
Snickers - I just feel like so many people talk about it and it's not really that good. In other words, yes, I think it's overrated.

4. What is the most underrated candy?
Crunchie's - an English honey and chocolate candy that I can't get enough of, and literally haven't gotten in a while because we haven't been able to travel.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

CoreySamson

I think there's a lot of underrated candies. I said Jolly Ranchers, but many more exist that could also take that title for me:

Gobstoppers
Nerds
Runts
Twizzlers
Mike and Ikes
Hot Tamales
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

gonealookin

Favorite: Milky Way.  Dark chocolate preferred but original is fine.

Most hated: Starburst chews.  These are candle wax with sweetness added and formed into little cubes.

Overrated: Agree with Peeps, and agree that not many people actually like them, but they do have a certain cult status.  The people who do actually like them are probably the same ones who would drive 100 miles for a McRib sandwich.

Underrated: 100 Grand bar.

webny99

Quote from: gonealookin on March 29, 2021, 08:03:30 PM
Most hated: Starburst chews.  These are candle wax with sweetness added and formed into little cubes.

For some reason, Starburst chews are much worse than regular Starburst. I have to laugh when people call them "unwrapped" - yeah, I'm sure they wrapped and then unwrapped them just for fun.

gonealookin

Quote from: webny99 on March 29, 2021, 08:44:36 PM

For some reason, Starburst chews are much worse than regular Starburst. I have to laugh when people call them "unwrapped" - yeah, I'm sure they wrapped and then unwrapped them just for fun.

Hmmm, I didn't realize there was a "wrapped" or "unwrapped" option.  By "chews" I just meant the wax cubes and referred to them that way to differentiate them from other Starburst-branded products, such as the jelly beans which are actually decent.

Duke87

In my case it's simple: I like chocolate, though I do not care for anything else mixed in with it (nuts, puffed rice, caramel, whatever). Some exceptions exist when chocolate is the secondary rather than the primary component (e.g. chocolate chip cookies).

Beyond that, I loved Smarties and Starburst as a kid. But as an adult, I find the idea of eating pure sugar unappetizing at best.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

bandit957

I vaguely remember a Nestle commercial where a dog says, "Choooooooocolaaaate!" To this day, when chocolate is mentioned, some people still imitate this commercial. This has been going on since the 1970s.

hotdogPi

Favorite: Almond Joy

Least favorite: Reese's

Overrated: Candy Crush

Underrated: Square candies that look round (made by Willy Wonka)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Quote from: gonealookin on March 30, 2021, 12:34:46 AM
Quote from: webny99 on March 29, 2021, 08:44:36 PM

Hmmm, I didn't realize there was a "wrapped" or "unwrapped" option.  By "chews" I just meant the wax cubes and referred to them that way to differentiate them from other Starburst-branded products, such as the jelly beans which are actually decent.

Ah, OK. For some reason when you said "chews", I was thinking of the unwrapped ones, but I suppose they are all chews regardless of whether they're wrappped or not.

GaryV

Quote from: bandit957 on March 30, 2021, 07:51:45 AM
I vaguely remember a Nestle commercial where a dog says, "Choooooooocolaaaate!" To this day, when chocolate is mentioned, some people still imitate this commercial. This has been going on since the 1970s.

That would be Farfel.  And long before the 70's.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farfel_the_Dog

Danny: "N-E-S-T-L-E-S, Nestlé's makes the very best...
Farfel: Choc'-late

JoePCool14

Huh, I always thought when people said chocolate like that, they were imitating this.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

bandit957

I'm surprised there isn't a thread on gum.

hotdogPi

Quote from: bandit957 on March 30, 2021, 12:13:02 PM
I'm surprised there isn't a thread on gum.

You have created several. One that was not created by you is this thread, although the misspelling derailed it.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

I just meant the wax cubes and referred to them that way to differentiate them from other Starburst-branded products, such as the jelly beans which are actually decent.

Oh, I forgot those Starburst jelly beans were a thing!  Yes, those are actually a pretty good product.  Dare I say, underrated?
Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on March 30, 2021, 02:53:35 PM
I just meant the wax cubes and referred to them that way to differentiate them from other Starburst-branded products, such as the jelly beans which are actually decent.

Oh, I forgot those Starburst jelly beans were a thing!  Yes, those are actually a pretty good product.  Dare I say, underrated?

Actually, they're a bit addictive - they're a little too sweet, but not jarringly so. We seem to wind up with a bag every Easter, and it goes pretty fast.

While we're at it, the pink Starbursts are a personally acquired taste of sorts; it's not over-sweetened like the red ones, not as artificial as the orange ones, not as cloyingly sour as the yellow ones. The pink strawberry ones are nice on the palette, and they don't seem to leave an aftertaste...a decent "after-meal candy" when I know I can just have one piece to enjoy for a few minutes.

(Weird that I really couldn't stand any of them for the last 20 years or so, and suddenly like just one flavor.)

frankenroad

1. What is your favorite candy? Butterfingers

2. What is your most hated candy? Anything with coconut or black licorice

3. What is the most overrated candy? I have no opinion on this.

4. What is the most underrated candy? Probably Pay-Day
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Big John

Quote from: GaryV on March 30, 2021, 08:15:26 AM
Did they know that chocolate is bad for dogs back then?
That would be Farfel.  And long before the 70's.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farfel_the_Dog

Danny: "N-E-S-T-L-E-S, Nestlé's makes the very best...
Farfel: Choc'-late

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.