News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cicadas

Started by SSOWorld, June 09, 2021, 09:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt.ron

Quote from: Dirt Roads on June 24, 2021, 11:09:03 PM
Quote from: wxfree on June 23, 2021, 11:51:10 PM
Here in the DFW area, we have annual cicadas. 

In West Virginia, we called them "jarflies".  I think that term is pretty common in the South.
In my neck of the woods, they're known as "dry flies" due to them emerging during the hottest part of summer. Wet weather tends to quiet them down quite a bit but they really come out and do their buzzing when it's dry hence their nickname. Another slang word used for them are "July Flies".  They have finally came out since it has heated up and dried out in my locale but still they aren't as loud or as continuous as they normally are this time of the year.

hbelkins

I always thought jarfly was another name for what we always called "June bugs," which oddly enough didn't usually show up until July. They look like Japanese beetles on steroids. In fact, the first time we started getting Japanese beetles around here, I thought they were miniature June bugs.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CoreySamson

Quote from: hbelkins on June 30, 2021, 06:12:41 PM
I always thought jarfly was another name for what we always called "June bugs," which oddly enough didn't usually show up until July. They look like Japanese beetles on steroids. In fact, the first time we started getting Japanese beetles around here, I thought they were miniature June bugs.
Heck, they usually show up in March around here... right after the mayflies.  :nod:
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

hbelkins

Quote from: CoreySamson on June 30, 2021, 06:44:40 PM
Heck, they usually show up in March around here... right after the mayflies.  :nod:

Mayflies show up here anywhere from late June to August.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on June 24, 2021, 11:09:03 PM
In West Virginia, we called them "jarflies".  I think that term is pretty common in the South.

I've heard that term used for June bugs before, perhaps during my time in southeastern Kentucky; not sure where else.  But I think you will find that most of Kentucky would say that the term "jarflies" refers to annual cicadas, particularly those which come out in the late summer (August/September).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.