News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Songs with surprising solos, bridges, fadeouts, etc.

Started by kurumi, July 05, 2021, 05:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

It's a conventional song, for the most part, but there's one surprising part that makes it awesome (or perhaps ruins it for you).

"Strawberry Letter 23", a nice groove, with a proggy solo at 2:25:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rquygdjf0d8

"Raindrops Keep Fallin' on my Head", heard in elevators everywhere, but the ending (also around 2:25) sounds like the start of a better song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sySlY1XKlhM

"Hitch a Ride" by Boston - regular 70s AOR until Tom Scholz channels Keith Emerson at 1:27:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV3pR87L-T8
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Finrod

Electric Light Orchestra, Mr. Blue Sky has an odd double ending, which I didn't understand until I listened to the album and realized that the first ending is for the song and the second ending is for the 4-song Concerto for a Rainy Day that is side 3 of the vinyl and tracks 10-13 of the compact disc of Out Of The Blue.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Finrod

Regarding Boston, Hitch A Ride-- at one point in the long instrumental ending, you can hear a pitch slide on the Hammond organ, which they couldn't do in 1975; that's Tom Scholz putting his thumb on the reel-to-reel that he uses to record all his stuff.  When he found out his favorite brand of reel-to-reel tape was being discontinued, he bought out all of their remaining inventory of it.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

GaryV

The Beatles "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" has several changes.

spooky

Quote from: GaryV on July 06, 2021, 07:48:49 AM
Paul and Linda McCartney's "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" has several changes.

FTFY

jp the roadgeek

Chicago's Feeling Stronger Every Day.  Starts out as a slow-ish tempo during the verses, then mid-song switches to a real up-beat rock pace.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

CNGL-Leudimin

O Fortuna from Carl Orff's Carmina Burana. Now that is a sudden intensity change.

Then there's those loud notes in the middle of a soft passage, like in the 2nd movement of Haydn's Surprise Symphony (hence its name) or that bassoon fart near the end of another Haydn work (I don't remember its name now).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

CapeCodder

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.