News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2017 TRB Annual Meeting

Started by jrouse, December 27, 2016, 09:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrouse

Anybody going?

I'm a panelist at a workshop on autonomous/connected vehicles and managed lanes on Sunday afternoon. I am chairing a session on Tuesday morning on a recently completed NCHRP research project that developed new guidance for managed lane development and operation.  This will also include discussions on related research on managed lane design and some things we still need to do research on when it comes to managed lanes.

iPhone

Rothman

A few years ago, NYSDOT killed a lot of funding for its employees to attend TRB.  Used to be a healthy contingent could go to TRB every year, funded by the Department.  Now, only a select few are chosen to attend, and a few other weirdos just go on their own dime.

Won't be going this time around.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

Won't be at TRBAM, but I'll be at TranspoCamp the day before TRBAM starts.  Richard Moeur and Scott Kuznicki of MTR fame typically attend both.

cl94

I'm presenting, so I'll definitely be there. 8 AM poster sessions on both Monday and Wednesday. Stop by and keep me occupied!

I like to think of TRB as a paid vacation, since I'll be spending Saturday and Wednesday after the session at museums   :-D .

Quote from: jrouse on December 27, 2016, 09:19:31 PM
Anybody going?

I'm a panelist at a workshop on autonomous/connected vehicles and managed lanes on Sunday afternoon. I am chairing a session on Tuesday morning on a recently completed NCHRP research project that developed new guidance for managed lane development and operation.  This will also include discussions on related research on managed lane design and some things we still need to do research on when it comes to managed lanes.

iPhone

Both of those are on my radar. I'll probably end up going to freight-related sessions instead at those times, though, due to work requirements.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jrouse

Quote from: cl94 on December 29, 2016, 11:54:06 PM
I'm presenting, so I'll definitely be there. 8 AM poster sessions on both Monday and Wednesday. Stop by and keep me occupied!

I like to think of TRB as a paid vacation, since I'll be spending Saturday and Wednesday after the session at museums   :-D .

What's your poster session title?

iPhone

cl94

Quote from: jrouse on December 30, 2016, 01:19:08 AM
Quote from: cl94 on December 29, 2016, 11:54:06 PM

What's your poster session title?

iPhone

Monday is "Urban Freight Innovations", Wednesday is "ICT and Travel Behavior: A Potpourri of Findings".
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

hbelkins

I need to figure out how to wrangle a trip to TRB as part of my work duties. But they're so tight-fisted in Frankfort these days -- niggardly, even -- that we couldn't even get approved to spend the full four nights for TransComm in CHARLESTON FREAKING WEST VIRGINIA -- which is just about equidistant from where I live as is Louisville. The whole "out-of-state travel" thing hangs them up.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jrouse

Quote from: hbelkins on December 30, 2016, 07:44:33 PM
I need to figure out how to wrangle a trip to TRB as part of my work duties. But they're so tight-fisted in Frankfort these days -- niggardly, even -- that we couldn't even get approved to spend the full four nights for TransComm in CHARLESTON FREAKING WEST VIRGINIA -- which is just about equidistant from where I live as is Louisville. The whole "out-of-state travel" thing hangs them up.

I hear you.  When I sent in my paperwork it was immediately rejected.  Fortunately I was able to find someone else to pay for it.

iPhone

Rothman

Frankly, I sort of lean towards TRB not being worth the public expense in the Age of the Internet.  People can just read the research online.

Also, looking at who was being sent to TRB (e.g., NYSDOT Policy Bureau people who basically just sit around waiting to write "policy" papers or "plans" as hot topics arise), the benefit was probably not worth the cost.

Have to say NYSDOT's Policy and Planning Division keeps running like it ever did since NY cramped down on out-of-state travel costs.  No big loss, in my opinion.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: jrouse on December 31, 2016, 01:50:11 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 30, 2016, 07:44:33 PM

I hear you.  When I sent in my paperwork it was immediately rejected.  Fortunately I was able to find someone else to pay for it.

iPhone

Which is why I have no plans to work for a state government. Some of the restrictions are getting ridiculous. Depending on what you do, TRB could be either worthless or quite useful. If you're on the research side of things, it's a must-attend event. Most of the seminars and workshops I'll be attending will give me insight in how to do some of my upcoming projects that I'm currently stumped about.

Rothman

NYSDOT contracts out most, if not all, research.  Another reason TRB has lost value.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on January 01, 2017, 12:00:44 PM
NYSDOT contracts out most, if not all, research.  Another reason TRB has lost value.

Most agencies in this state do. I know because we do a bunch of it :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.