News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

I've been seeing more unisigns in Virginia lately; interesting that they would move away from one in this instance.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

plain

Quote from: hbelkins on August 03, 2018, 05:30:40 PM
I've been seeing more unisigns in Virginia lately; interesting that they would move away from one in this instance.

I'm glad VDOT is bringing back their unisigns. When I first came to Virginia as a youngin' they were all over the place, especially in Chesterfield and Hanover countries (and of course the many VA cities that has their own individual versions and have for a long time now). Back since at least the 80's there were also trailblazers on interstates that were also black background unisigns, though I'm not sure if any still exist. I hope VDOT bring those back as well.
Newark born, Richmond bred

hbelkins

Quote from: plain on August 03, 2018, 05:48:24 PM

I'm glad VDOT is bringing back their unisigns. When I first came to Virginia as a youngin' they were all over the place, especially in Chesterfield and Hanover countries (and of course the many VA cities that has their own individual versions and have for a long time now). Back since at least the 80's there were also trailblazers on interstates that were also black background unisigns, though I'm not sure if any still exist. I hope VDOT bring those back as well.

This one is a recent installation.

2017 Delaware trip Day 1 - 007 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

plain

Quote from: hbelkins on August 03, 2018, 07:25:04 PM

This one is a recent installation.

2017 Delaware trip Day 1 - 007 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr
Nice!! Though I wish the "NORTH" was blue, I'm more than willing to let that slide

Mapmikey

Traditionally this has been a district-specific endeavor.  Districts 7 and 8 have been steadily adding them while district 4 (Richmond area) had a bunch since the 1980s but replacements in recent years there have not been unisign.  HB's photo shows District 1 (I don't get over there much) might be on the unisign train.  District 6 (Fredericksburg area) does not have many outside the City of Fredericksburg itself and the few new signs the city has put up lately are not unisign. 

plain

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 03, 2018, 09:03:03 PM

Traditionally this has been a district-specific endeavor.  Districts 7 and 8 have been steadily adding them while district 4 (Richmond area) had a bunch since the 1980s but replacements in recent years there have not been unisign.  HB's photo shows District 1 (I don't get over there much) might be on the unisign train.  District 6 (Fredericksburg area) does not have many outside the City of Fredericksburg itself and the few new signs the city has put up lately are not unisign.

The Richmond district seems to be installing some of the newer unisigns again as well, at least in one locality (Hanover County). Here's some at the intersection of Ashland/Ashcake Rds (same roadway, different SR's), Greenwood Church Rd, and Blanton Rd. Enter Street View and move around to see all of them.

https://goo.gl/maps/8ScweezpGUn

EDIT: also here's a newer one but looks like the older ones. This is on the ramp from I-64 WB to VA 249 (Exit 205) in New Kent County

https://goo.gl/maps/UJ731NKAuRG2

hbelkins

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 03, 2018, 09:03:03 PM

They are indeed rare in southwestern Virginia -- I've seen a couple in the City of Norton -- and that's the reason I took this picture. I saw a couple more in the Abingdon area when I was there back in December.

jay8g

I saw this ugly curve/intersection warning sign in Kent (a southern suburb of Seattle) last week. Something seems really off about it -- probably some combination of the weird line weights, the fact that the road that the sign is on comes in at an angle instead of straight from the bottom, and the lack of an arrowhead for the through road. Interestingly, this is actually on a state route, but I'm almost certain it's a city install.

OracleUsr

Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

wanderer2575

I shot this photo at least a dozen years ago in Galena, OH.  The diagram is supposed to depict three upcoming T-intersections but there's not quite enough room for that.  On first sight, I couldn't understand what a large "E" was supposed to signify.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ipeters61

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

thenetwork

^^ It's an eye chart disguised as a road sign assembly!  Ohio is toying around with the idea of doing your eye test during your driving exam.

D-Dey65

I haven't posted my picture of it yet, but on US 98/FL 50 in Ridge Manor West, Florida, there's an entrance to a frontage road across from the intersection of Parkland Avenue. What's weird about it is that there are two different types of No Trucks logo signs on each corner of the entrance to the frontage road.

There's this type on the northeast corner;
File:MUTCD R5-2.svg

And there's this type on the northwest corner;
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:MUTCD_R14-5.svg

Here's the area I'm talking about.
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5231394,-82.2316179,3a,30y,357.92h,88.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0zT9oCmzZajFDud0_OZzzg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Ignore the fact that Google Street View gives Cortez Boulevard the name of Parkland Avenue.

UPDATE; AUGUST 6, 2018: I just found out the name of the strip mall was "Carriage Hills Plaza."
http://myemail.constantcontact.com/This-Week-s-Events-In-Hernando-County.html?soid=1108302654528&aid=pRHSFPw9ZvM

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/4NUh8ss8Fz42
Williamsburg, VA has this interesting piece on York/ Lafayette Streets that reads "TO Francis St."  Most likely cause York continues down that street  for a block before it defaults into that street.  Most would figure Francis comes in all the way to this intersection, but York does a L turn here for some reason considering in Colonial Times streets were straight.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

KEVIN_224

[PHOTO CREDIT: Doug Kern]

I love how North Dakota snuck in one last state name interstate shield before the state line. My friend took this, obviously, along I-29 South. I, myself, have never been to either Dakota.  :-/

Scott5114

Quote from: thenetwork on August 05, 2018, 09:24:53 PM
^^ It's an eye chart disguised as a road sign assembly!  Ohio is toying around with the idea of doing your eye test during your driving exam.

Which is the better way to get there...Route 1, or 2? 1, or 2? 1... or 2...? They're very close.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ipeters61

Went out for a quick drive tonight and noticed this one at the start of the DE-1 expressway near Dover Air Force Base.

The next "left turn" (i.e. left exit) is 40 miles north of here.  Unless you exclude the E-ZPass lanes I guess (about 5 miles north of here).
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

jakeroot

Quote from: ipeters61 on August 08, 2018, 09:24:31 PM
Went out for a quick drive tonight and noticed this one at the start of the DE-1 expressway near Dover Air Force Base.

https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/HyiHx6q.png

The next "left turn" (i.e. left exit) is 40 miles north of here.  Unless you exclude the E-ZPass lanes I guess (about 5 miles north of here).

Interesting. Here in WA, the keep-right law applies to all roads, except when required for left turns, so there's no need for extra signage. Do keep-right laws only apply in Delaware when signs are posted? Or was this sign posted at the end of a section that began with "trucks may use all lanes"?

ipeters61

Quote from: jakeroot on August 09, 2018, 01:48:12 AM
Quote from: ipeters61 on August 08, 2018, 09:24:31 PM

https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/HyiHx6q.png

Interesting. Here in WA, the keep-right law applies to all roads, except when required for left turns, so there's no need for extra signage. Do keep-right laws only apply in Delaware when signs are posted? Or was this sign posted at the end of a section that began with "trucks may use all lanes"?
Don't think so, I think this is just a reminder.  I've never seen a "trucks may use all lanes" sign in Delaware, just this one.  I've seen it on 13 around Dover, which is a standard 4-lane divided highway with unsignalized crossovers (which I hate) and stoplights.  Since it doesn't actually apply to me I've never paid enough attention.  I don't think there's any specific restriction for trucks, presumably unless there's a sign posted.

Title 21, see 4116 paragraph 5 and 4117: http://delcode.delaware.gov/title21/c041/sc03/index.shtml

I should mention that there are "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs scattered along Route 1, I just can't find an example right now.
Instagram | Clinched Map

jakeroot

OT:

Quote from: ipeters61 on August 09, 2018, 11:00:35 AM
I've seen it on 13 around Dover, which is a standard 4-lane divided highway with unsignalized crossovers (which I hate)

Funny. I've always really liked unsignalized divided highway intersections. Here in WA, signs instruct drivers to pull into the middle area to wait, basically making two intersections out of one. As a result, they're much easier to enter or exit from any direction when compared to a traditional undivided road without a two-way left turn lane.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on August 09, 2018, 01:36:31 PM
I've seen it on 13 around Dover, which is a standard 4-lane divided highway with unsignalized crossovers (which I hate)
Funny. I've always really liked unsignalized divided highway intersections. Here in WA, signs instruct drivers to pull into the middle area to wait, basically making two intersections out of one. As a result, they're much easier to enter or exit from any direction when compared to a traditional undivided road without a two-way left turn lane.

I've never had a problem with them, either. At least in Minnesota, I always assumed that if there wasn't enough room for a typical passenger vehicle to fit in the median, then I supposed MnDOT wouldnt've put YIELD signs there (an example).

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on August 09, 2018, 03:23:23 PM
I've never had a problem with them, either. At least in Minnesota, I always assumed that if there wasn't enough room for a typical passenger vehicle to fit in the median, then I supposed MnDOT wouldnt've put YIELD signs there (an example).

True. Divided highways with at-grade intersections are actually pretty rare in WA, but those that do exist are often signed just the same. Stop sign for initial intersection, yield for second intersection. The supplemental "ONE VEHICLE IN MEDIAN AT A TIME" sign is either below the yield sign, in the middle, or below the stop sign (on the near-side of the intersection).

At even wider intersections, it's not unusual to see more than one car waiting anyway*, though (as in this case) not all intersections have the aforementioned regulatory sign, nor do all even possess a yield sign. Hell, some don't even have R6-3 signs.

*even more off-topic: note the dashed yellow lines one must cross to enter the left turn lane. I don't think that's correct!

ipeters61

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on August 09, 2018, 03:23:23 PM

The crossover part isn't the problem, at least the median itself.  However, the issue is that people around here will shoot from the cross street across 55+ MPH traffic, seemingly without looking.

I've been hit before by someone crossing (not stopping at a stop sign) when I was in through traffic.  And before you blame my driving, I was surrounded by other cars - there was no reason for the other guy to go.  But they ran off so I don't know their excuse.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Max Rockatansky

It seems that the CA 58 Business Route in Tehachapi even features an "end" placard.  Finding a signed business route in the central part of California has become a tall order in general much less getting something like proper placards which aren't even a feature on several state highways:

IMG_9278 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.