News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2021 Road Trip Plans

Started by kphoger, July 21, 2021, 06:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kphoger on July 22, 2021, 11:57:46 AM
Quote from: kphoger on July 21, 2021, 06:25:46 PM
I do have a question for those of you who live in the Chicago area:  With the recent increase in COVID infections among the unvaccinated, how likely do you think it is that Chicago museums will still be open, say, three months from now?

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 21, 2021, 06:37:44 PM
I doubt the museums will close again, but that state has started re-instituting travel restrictions from hotspot states.

I've seen that Chicago is reinstating travel restrictions, but only for unvaccinated people.

What state-level restrictions are being put in place?

May not have been state I saw, may have been Chicago.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JayhawkCO

Quote from: oscar on July 22, 2021, 08:45:46 AM
Quote from: jayhawkco on July 21, 2021, 09:44:08 PM
If all goes well, I'll visit three new provinces (NB, PEI, and NS), clinch I-91, I-93, I-95 and then completely clinch all interstates in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, and Delaware.  I'll also get to drive one of my bucket list roads (Cabot Trail) during peak colors.

You'll need to check whether your entry into those provinces will be allowed, even if the border is reopened. For example:

QuoteUSA/International travellers

Travellers entering New Brunswick from the United States or other international locations outside of North America, and whose travel has been approved by Canada Border Services Agency must also receive approval to enter New Brunswick.

See https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/corporate/promo/covid-19/travel.html for more details.

I'm not sure there are any showstopper requirements, at least for New Brunswick (haven't checked PEI and NS). But you'll need to at least register at least a few days in advance, to get provincial government approval. You'll also need to apply in advance with CBSA to get cleared to cross the border, but I don't know how much overlap there is between the federal and provincial registration requirements.

Yeah.  I saw PEI currently has a PEI Pass where you have to register as vaccinated (which I am) so that you don't have any constraints.  I plan on paying attention to all the restrictions to see if I need to change gears last minute.  It was also partially the reason why I'm flying within the U.S. and then driving into Canada, so in case the border is re-closed or something along those lines, it's a relatively easy change to just stay stateside.

Chris

kphoger

I wonder when we'll stop being considered 'fully vaccinated'.  Do any of these restrictions have a 'within x amount of time' clause?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kphoger on July 22, 2021, 12:08:45 PM
I wonder when we'll stop being considered 'fully vaccinated'.  Do any of these restrictions have a 'within x amount of time' clause?

So far, antibody rates remain high as long as a year after vaccination. We won't know when that changes until it does.

hbelkins

Are you referring to individuals? My understanding is after they've had the second shot, they're considered fully vaccinated.

Quote from: kphoger on July 22, 2021, 11:57:46 AM
Quote from: kphoger on July 21, 2021, 06:25:46 PM
I do have a question for those of you who live in the Chicago area:  With the recent increase in COVID infections among the unvaccinated, how likely do you think it is that Chicago museums will still be open, say, three months from now?

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 21, 2021, 06:37:44 PM
I doubt the museums will close again, but that state has started re-instituting travel restrictions from hotspot states.

I've seen that Chicago is reinstating travel restrictions, but only for unvaccinated people.

What state-level restrictions are being put in place?

Not sure how the city would enforce it. If the hotel is outside the jurisdiction of the city, it would be hard for them to keep someone from entering the city limits if they were staying elsewhere and just venturing into town for an activity.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on July 22, 2021, 01:51:29 PM

Are you referring to individuals? My understanding is after they've had the second shot, they're considered fully vaccinated.

Yes, I'm referring to individuals.  I didn't ask when people start being considered fully vaccinated;  the answer to that is "two weeks after the final shot".  My answer was when that "fully vaccinated" status elapses.  I was asking because I was sort of concerned it might end up being "six months after the final shot", and I would probably be traveling right around the six-month mark.

Quote from: hbelkins on July 22, 2021, 01:51:29 PM
Not sure how the city would enforce it. If the hotel is outside the jurisdiction of the city, it would be hard for them to keep someone from entering the city limits if they were staying elsewhere and just venturing into town for an activity.

It's never been about enforcement, really.  Even if only 60% of potential visitors stayed away, that's still 60%.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on July 22, 2021, 02:10:01 PM
Yes, I'm referring to individuals.  I didn't ask when people start being considered fully vaccinated;  the answer to that is "two weeks after the final shot".  My answer was when that "fully vaccinated" status elapses.  I was asking because I was sort of concerned it might end up being "six months after the final shot", and I would probably be traveling right around the six-month mark.

I'm guessing we'll all be taking a third shot in the next 6-9 months.

Chris

hotdogPi

Day 8 (Saturday)
I-95, NH101, I-93 to its northern end, U-Turn, I-293, I-93, I-95, I-295 Providence, I-95 to I-195 to finish clinching Rhode Island interstates, and then somehow back to Philly.  Not fully planned out how I want to go since I have most of the rest of the direct way clinched already.

As long as you're vaccinated, I'll meet you temporarily if you want.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: 1 on July 22, 2021, 04:36:46 PM
Day 8 (Saturday)
I-95, NH101, I-93 to its northern end, U-Turn, I-293, I-93, I-95, I-295 Providence, I-95 to I-195 to finish clinching Rhode Island interstates, and then somehow back to Philly.  Not fully planned out how I want to go since I have most of the rest of the direct way clinched already.

As long as you're vaccinated, I'll meet you temporarily if you want.

If I have the time, absolutely!

Chris

TravelingBethelite

Thinking I might take a last minute road trip to seize what's left of summer and go see Mount Rushmore, as well as adding South Dakota and Wyoming to my states list. Also hi all, I've been off awhile.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

hbelkins

Quote from: jayhawkco on July 22, 2021, 02:24:17 PM

Chris

Guess again.  :-D

JayhawkCO

Quote from: hbelkins on July 22, 2021, 06:47:20 PM

Chris

Not turning this into a Covid thread.  Also, change your signature.

Chris

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jayhawkco on July 22, 2021, 08:48:57 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 22, 2021, 06:47:20 PM

Chris

Not turning this into a Covid thread.  Also, change your signature.

Chris
Agreed on the signature. IMO it violates the "no politics in signature" rule.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

J N Winkler

I have toyed with the idea of travelling, but haven't pulled the trigger on any specific plans:

*  Much of the cost inflation we've been seeing has been in the travel sector.

*  I expect it to take some time for capacity to rebuild in the hospitality industry after covid-related closures.

*  Many attractions are still operating according to changed rules that are not always easy to research in advance.

In regard to Chicago, for example, the Art Institute still requires timed tickets (purchased in advance) for entry without a membership.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 22, 2021, 11:27:56 PM
In regard to Chicago, for example, the Art Institute still requires timed tickets (purchased in advance) for entry without a membership.

I have to say that timed ticketing is one thing I would love to see remain post-COVID. While I'm not technically physically disabled, it's really difficult for me to stand in line for more than a few minutes. Having timed tickets to museums and attractions that are normally very crowded has been wonderful.

hbelkins

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 23, 2021, 07:08:27 AM

I have to say that timed ticketing is one thing I would love to see remain post-COVID. While I'm not technically physically disabled, it's really difficult for me to stand in line for more than a few minutes. Having timed tickets to museums and attractions that are normally very crowded has been wonderful.

Similarly, I don't understand why the reservation system for GSTR in Glacier was necessary. Were they getting overrun by people taking sightseeing trips to have something to do during the lockdowns? It's starting to look like this is something that's going to stick around for the long term.

jmacswimmer

Re: Chicago discussion, I'll be there next weekend for Lollapalooza (not a road trip, however - flying BWI-ORD).  I have seen a few local headlines within the past week questioning whether the festival should continue given the recent case rise (and Lightfoot subsequently standing behind her decision to let it proceed).  Admission to the festival does require proof of vaccination or negative test result within the past 72 hours, but I am curious to see how everything is handled with both the festival and city in general (among other things, I understand masks have still been required on the L this entire time).

Even if it's suddenly cancelled, we'd probably still go and just find other stuff to do given the flights & hotel have long been booked.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

kphoger

I have toyed with the idea of travelling, but haven't pulled the trigger on any specific plans:

*  I expect it to take some time for capacity to rebuild in the hospitality industry after covid-related closures.

*  Many attractions are still operating according to changed rules that are not always easy to research in advance.

If we decide to jump on doing the trip this fall, then I'll surely be calling ahead (by telephone) to every single one of the places I intend to visit for things like that.  Not just advance reservations, but also mask policies and restrictions on carrying bags inside and all that jazz.

Because Chicago is, to me, chiefly a city of museums and restaurants, I've already planned out the list of museums I want to visit–so reserving in advance is no big deal.  And, because my plan is to use CTA the entire time we're there, bad traffic or parking won't make nailing down an arrival time difficult.

I do wonder how timed ticket entry works:  how do they how far apart to stagger them, without knowing when people are going to leave?
Male pronouns, please.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kphoger on July 23, 2021, 10:45:36 AM

If we decide to jump on doing the trip this fall, then I'll surely be calling ahead (by telephone) to every single one of the places I intend to visit for things like that.  Not just advance reservations, but also mask policies and restrictions on carrying bags inside and all that jazz.

Because Chicago is, to me, chiefly a city of museums and restaurants, I've already planned out the list of museums I want to visit–so reserving in advance is no big deal.  And, because my plan is to use CTA the entire time we're there, bad traffic or parking won't make nailing down an arrival time difficult.

I do wonder how timed ticket entry works:  how do they how far apart to stagger them, without knowing when people are going to leave?

They know the average amount of time people stay. Generally, most places I've been to using timed entry sell x tickets for each half hour. If you get 9:00 tickets you can enter anytime between 9:00 and 9:29.

First place I went that was doing this was Rocky Mountain NP and let me tell you it was great. Every popular spot had parking available.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on July 23, 2021, 10:45:36 AMIf we decide to jump on doing the trip this fall, then I'll surely be calling ahead (by telephone) to every single one of the places I intend to visit for things like that.  Not just advance reservations, but also mask policies and restrictions on carrying bags inside and all that jazz.

I suspect that if I were trying to do a culture visit in Chicago, the restriction on bags might be the most troublesome aspect of it all.  I typically carry my phone, a water bottle, and a book to read in a cloth bag that I then check on entry so I have my hands free.

Quote from: kphoger on July 23, 2021, 10:45:36 AMI do wonder how timed ticket entry works:  how do they how far apart to stagger them, without knowing when people are going to leave?

You might have to call or attempt a trial booking to answer some of these questions, but I think the timed tickets are designed to limit the number of people who are admitted to the building for visits of whatever length.  From the standpoint of covid exposure, it then becomes a problem (as cabiness42 says) of playing by the averages in terms of how many people are present in the same indoors environment at any given time.  The requirement to buy a timed ticket does not apply to holders of annual memberships, but for a single visit the cost is significantly higher.  From memory (last visit in 2017), general admission costs $25 for one person while an annual membership costs $100 for the holder and a plus-one.  (A Facebook friend and her boyfriend, who went to Chicago for a citybreak about a month ago, found timed tickets all sold out when they arrived at the Art Institute and had to buy a membership.)

Before covid, the Art Institute and other major Chicago museums (such as the Field) had free days when they allowed holders of Illinois driver's licenses in without charge.  Naturally, they tended to be mobbed on those days.  I don't see any mention of them on the Art Institute's website currently, and suspect they have been suspended indefinitely.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Oh yeah, I used to take advantage of the free admission days back when I had an Illinois ID.  Crowded, yes, but free is free, and I was all but broke nonstop back in those days.

Typically, with homeschooled children, I can plan vacations to be during weekdays to avoid the most popular times (this helps in getting campsites at state or national parks, for example)–especially if my wife isn't going.  However, I've found that it works out best for me at work if I do a Wednesday—Monday trip instead of a Monday—Saturday trip.  And, in this particular case, my plan is to visit the Art Institute on a Sunday.  So yeah, believe me, I'm already planning to reserve well in advance.  There's no way I would expect to just show up at the Institute and expect a bunch  of same-day timed tickets to still be available.
Male pronouns, please.

andrepoiy

Tomorrow I will be embarking on a 7-day road trip that goes to the following cities: Montreal, Mont-Tremblant, Ottawa, North Bay, and Sudbury.

It will be the first road trip where I am the primary driver since I got my license two years ago.

kphoger

Quote from: andrepoiy on July 23, 2021, 10:01:05 PM
It will be the first road trip where I am the primary driver since I got my license two years ago.

Congratulations.  Let us know how you do.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jayhawkco on July 22, 2021, 12:01:51 PM
Quote from: oscar on July 22, 2021, 08:45:46 AM
If all goes well, I'll visit three new provinces (NB, PEI, and NS), clinch I-91, I-93, I-95 and then completely clinch all interstates in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, and Delaware.  I'll also get to drive one of my bucket list roads (Cabot Trail) during peak colors.

You'll need to check whether your entry into those provinces will be allowed, even if the border is reopened. For example:

QuoteUSA/International travellers

Travellers entering New Brunswick from the United States or other international locations outside of North America, and whose travel has been approved by Canada Border Services Agency must also receive approval to enter New Brunswick.

See https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/corporate/promo/covid-19/travel.html for more details.

I'm not sure there are any showstopper requirements, at least for New Brunswick (haven't checked PEI and NS). But you'll need to at least register at least a few days in advance, to get provincial government approval. You'll also need to apply in advance with CBSA to get cleared to cross the border, but I don't know how much overlap there is between the federal and provincial registration requirements.

Yeah.  I saw PEI currently has a PEI Pass where you have to register as vaccinated (which I am) so that you don't have any constraints.  I plan on paying attention to all the restrictions to see if I need to change gears last minute.  It was also partially the reason why I'm flying within the U.S. and then driving into Canada, so in case the border is re-closed or something along those lines, it's a relatively easy change to just stay stateside.

Chris

Did more research today.  Looks like as of right now, Quebec doesn't have any special entry requirements, but all of New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Nova Scotia do.  Basically I just have to pre-register with my vaccination information for each province and I should be good to go.  Obviously we'll see if they change their policies on the 9th, but as of now, it looks like it shouldn't be too difficult.  Much easier than the trip I originally had planned for this summer where I would have been traveling between multiple countries in southern Africa needing to get a Covid test in each one before proceeding to the other.  Logistical nightmare, so we cancelled that trip.

Chris

vdeane

New Brunswick will be ending all of its restrictions on July 30.  Not sure about the other Atlantic provinces.
https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/new-brunswick-to-move-to-green-phase-on-july-30-lifting-all-public-health-restrictions-1.5520913
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.