News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Misheard song lyrics

Started by golden eagle, December 18, 2014, 07:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I was watching an episode of Later with Jools Holland couple of weeks back, and one of the bands they were featuring was singing a song, I thought was about Zambonis.
Evidently, it wasn't Zambonis, but Side Pony...
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

roadman

Earlier today during a discussion on a Looney Tunes FB page, I discovered that, for over fifty years, I've been misquoting the lyrics to one of my favorite TV themes, the 'Overture' opening from the old Saturday morning Bugs Bunny Road Runner Show.  Since I first saw it as a kid, I always thought the opening line was "Overture.  Turn the Lights.  This is it, the Night of Nights!"  It's actually "Overture! Curtain! Lights!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GpbY8df3Zo
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Roadgeekteen

Starbucks lovers in Taylor Swifts Blank Space is one of the more famous ones.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

mrsman

Quote from: roadman on May 06, 2020, 11:16:16 PM
Earlier today during a discussion on a Looney Tunes FB page, I discovered that, for over fifty years, I've been misquoting the lyrics to one of my favorite TV themes, the 'Overture' opening from the old Saturday morning Bugs Bunny Road Runner Show.  Since I first saw it as a kid, I always thought the opening line was "Overture.  Turn the Lights.  This is it, the Night of Nights!"  It's actually "Overture! Curtain! Lights!"

Don't be so hard on yourself.  You were just a kid!

roadman65

I used to think the term "Fateful Trip" in the Ballad of Gilligan's Island was "Faithful Trip."

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

STLmapboy

Elton John's Bennie and the Jets. "She's got electric boots, a mohair suit..."
I always thought it was "She's got electric boobs, a motor suit..."
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

1995hoo

On another forum I visit, someone posted something about Tropical Storm Bertha, which of course prompted someone to quote lyrics from the Grateful Dead's song of that name.

One of the guys there says he originally misheard the lyric "I had a hard run." I assume you can guess what he heard. I imagine now I will hear his lyric every time I hear that song!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SEWIGuy

When I first looked up the lyrics for the main verse of "Yellow Brick Road" by Elton John, I realized it would have taken me multiple lifetimes to figure out what he was saying:

So goodbye yellow brick road
Where the dogs of society howl
You can't plant me in your penthouse
I'm going back to my plough
Back to the howling, old owl in the woods
Hunting the horny-back toad
Oh, I've finally decided my future lies
Beyond the yellow brick road

Henry

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 19, 2014, 03:23:24 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 19, 2014, 03:02:29 PM
Quote from: roadman on December 19, 2014, 02:57:26 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on December 19, 2014, 02:09:06 PM
I mentioned this in another music/song-related thread; when I first heard Wild Cherry's Play That Funky Music as a kid during the mid-70s, I thought they were saying "Play that fu*@ing music...".
Reminds me of the day my sister was reading the lyrics for Convoy and suddenly exclaimed "Oh, it's "Roll that Truckin' Convoy!"  I thought it was ....

If it makes it out over the air, the odds are very much against what you may have thought it was.  For more, ask George Carlin.
Don't be so sure of that.  When the song first came out (decades before the CSI series); FM stations would play Who Are You? by The Who in its entirety, which included the phrase "Oh who the f*@k are you?" towards the end of the song.
The funny thing about that lyric is that Pete Townshend never wrote it at all, but it still found its way into the song. He originally intended it to be sung as "Who, who, who are you?" However, Roger Daltrey, the band's lead singer, took a more aggressive approach with the infamous "Who the fuck are you?" line, and the rest fell into place.

Another great example of songs played with profanities that became more common in music since they were first recorded is the 1973 Pink Floyd song Money, which contains the line "Don't give me that do goody-good bullshit". Of course, you'd be more likely to hear "fuck" and "shit", along with their variants, on today's rock/metal and rap/hip-hop songs.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kphoger

Quote from: Henry on May 28, 2020, 10:01:44 AM
the 1973 Pink Floyd song Money

You know, I just heard that song on the car radio yesterday.  For the first time, I decided to really concentrate and figure out the time, and I came to a realization:  A large amount of the song, including the best-known parts with words–is in 7/4 time.  I wonder if it's the most popular song with such an extensive use of 7/4 time.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Hwy 61 Revisited

Quote from: kphoger on May 28, 2020, 01:44:55 PM

You know, I just heard that song on the car radio yesterday.  For the first time, I decided to really concentrate and figure out the time, and I came to a realization:  A large amount of the song, including the best-known parts with words–is in 7/4 time.  I wonder if it's the most popular song with such an extensive use of 7/4 time.

"Tom Sawyer" uses 7/4 in the bridge. Although it might be 2 bars of 7/8 instead.
And you may ask yourself, where does that highway go to?
--David Byrne

kphoger

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on May 28, 2020, 02:58:05 PM

"Tom Sawyer" uses 7/4 in the bridge. Although it might be 2 bars of 7/8 instead.

That song hit #44 on Billboard, whereas Money hit #13.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: STLmapboy on May 27, 2020, 10:44:18 PM
Elton John's Bennie and the Jets. "She's got electric boots, a mohair suit..."
I always thought it was "She's got electric boobs, a motor suit..."

I heard "She's gotta let me choose, I know Jesús." I figured it wasn't correct, but never cared enough to look up the correct line.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CoreySamson

I used to think the chorus of 21 Pilots' "Heathens"  went like this:
"All my friends are eating steak, it's slow"

It actually says this:
"All my friends are heathens take it slow"  :D
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

STLmapboy

REM's smash hit "Shiny Happy People Fucking." I knew that wasn't how it went, but at the same time I couldn't get it out of my head once I thought of it.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

kevinb1994

Quote from: STLmapboy on June 19, 2020, 08:56:44 PM
REM's smash hit "Shiny Happy People Fucking." I knew that wasn't how it went, but at the same time I couldn't get it out of my head once I thought of it.
Slightly off topic, but have you heard anything off "˜Chronic Town'?

STLmapboy

Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 19, 2020, 09:01:36 PM
Slightly off topic, but have you heard anything off "˜Chronic Town'?
Yeah, "Gardening at Night." I'm more familiar with their later stuff though.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

mgk920

For the longest time after it came out, I always heard that well known Go-Gos song as something on the lines of 'Honest Lucille'.

:spin:

Mike

texaskdog

Quote from: kphoger on May 28, 2020, 03:11:47 PM

You know, I just heard that song on the car radio yesterday.  For the first time, I decided to really concentrate and figure out the time, and I came to a realization:  A large amount of the song, including the best-known parts with words—is in 7/4 time.  I wonder if it's the most popular song with such an extensive use of 7/4 time.

shows you how much charts, mean, New World Man was Rush's biggest hit

texaskdog

Quote from: STLmapboy on June 20, 2020, 11:27:14 AM
Slightly off topic, but have you heard anything off ‘Chronic Town’?

REM 1981-1987 was so good.  After that the only one I like is Automatic for the People.  they should have broken up years earlier.  The early stuff is awesome though. 

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: texaskdog on June 21, 2020, 11:58:11 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 28, 2020, 03:11:47 PM

shows you how much charts, mean, New World Man was Rush's biggest hit

The Grateful Dead's Estimated Prophet is also in 7/4 time. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hbelkins

Quote from: mgk920 on June 21, 2020, 10:07:26 PM
For the longest time after it came out, I always heard that well known Go-Gos song as something on the lines of 'Honest Lucille'.

:spin:

Mike

I thought it was "Honest, I see you."

Here's an oldie for me ... for the longest time, I thought the line in "Iron Man" was "Ozzy lost his mind..."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MikieTimT

Quote from: roadman on May 06, 2020, 11:16:16 PM

I always heard it that way too.  Fortunately, the character on that show I quote the most is Yosemite Sam after he's been tricked by Bugs.  In fact, that's the ringtone for my brother on my phone.  A little awkward when he called one time and I forgot to silence my phone during church.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: texaskdog on June 21, 2020, 11:59:24 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on June 20, 2020, 11:27:14 AM
Slightly off topic, but have you heard anything off ‘Chronic Town’?

REM 1981-1987 was so good.  After that the only one I like is Automatic for the People.  they should have broken up years earlier.  The early stuff is awesome though. 

Speaking of REM, they promised me I would feel fine at this particular junction in history.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

Quote from: cabiness42 on June 22, 2020, 02:28:48 PM
Speaking of REM, they promised me I would feel fine at this particular junction in history.

Is your name Lenny Bruce?
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.