News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 29 in Lynchburg

Started by briantroutman, August 15, 2013, 03:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on February 22, 2014, 07:14:59 PM
QuoteParkway? 

You mean as an expressway (styled like Corridor H in West Virginia or U.S. 29 in Maryland north of Md. 650)?

No, I did mean Parkway.  Limited-access like an at-grade expressway, but with a narrower cross-section...including narrower (and partially unpaved) shoulders.

Why narrower shoulders?  The Baltimore-Washington Parkway has deliberately narrow shoulders, and they have contributed to collisions with disabled vehicles on that narrow shoulder.  As for unpaved shoulders, I have no problem with those.

I have come to dislike the use of the word parkway unless it is a true parkway (and even those come in many shapes and sizes, from small ones like Beach Drive; Sligo Creek Parkway; Skyline Drive; Blue Ridge Parkway to larger ones like the Colonial Parkway; George Washington Memorial Parkway; Taconic State Parkway; Southern State Parkway; Baltimore-Washington Parkway; and the Garden State Parkway).

Roads like Va. 286 (Fairfax County Parkway) and Md. 41 (Perring Parkway) do not really meet my idea of what a parkway should be. 

I was looking to see if there was a topic posted about the US 29 projects (Route 29 Solutions) north of Charlottesville and found that there were two "US 29 in Lynchburg" topics so I have merged them.  Also there was another older thread about the Lynchburg/Madison Heights Bypass becoming 70 in 2012 that I left on its own as nothing else was discussed there.

-Mark
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.