News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US40 (I-170) original signage

Started by Mergingtraffic, July 25, 2013, 11:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on September 05, 2013, 03:13:18 AM
As I recall from Kozel's website, while opposition is largely what killed I-70, I-83 died because of cost.  Even with 90% Federal funding, the local share was too much for the city to afford.

The plans that I recall for I-83 were really, really bad (IMO worse than I-70). The proposed route of I-83 would have done immense damage to the Canton area of Baltimore City.

A member of the Baltimore City Council at the time that I-83 through Canton was being debated helped to make her political career by opposing it - her name was Barbara Mikulski, currently the senior U.S. Senator representing Maryland.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kj3400

I'm curious about the route I-83 was supposed to take. The abandoned ramp stubs at the Moravia Rd exit seem a bit far north don't they?
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

NE2

Quote from: kj3400 on September 27, 2013, 04:25:53 AM
I'm curious about the route I-83 was supposed to take. The abandoned ramp stubs at the Moravia Rd exit seem a bit far north don't they?
I-83 would have gone to the stubs at O'Donnell. The Moravia stubs would have tied into the sharp curve on I-695 at Chesaco.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

In addition, Moravia was to have become a freeway under the 1964 BMATS plan.

PHLBOS

Once the original I-83 extension was shot down; was there any alternative freeway alignment considered?

Looking at a map, one logical alignment alternative would have been to extend I-83 due south or southwest to I-395's northern terminus and redesignate I-395 as I-83.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

froggie

No.  Once the 83 extension was done, that was it.  No more new Baltimore freeways.  The proposal to do what you suggest (part of the original freeway system planning) died over a decade before the I-83 extension did, back when the plan for I-95 shifted from crossing the Inner Harbor to putting it in what was built as the Fort McHenry Tunnel.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on September 27, 2013, 08:55:22 AM
No.  Once the 83 extension was done, that was it.  No more new Baltimore freeways.  The proposal to do what you suggest (part of the original freeway system planning) died over a decade before the I-83 extension did, back when the plan for I-95 shifted from crossing the Inner Harbor to putting it in what was built as the Fort McHenry Tunnel.

The artistic renderings of the I-95 crossing of the Inner Harbor on a high bridge were really, really awful.  Almost as if they  had been drawn by a group opposed to routing I-95 that way.   

The construction of the crossing as the Fort McHenry  Tunnel was the right solution to the problem.  You can stand on the grass at Fort McHenry looking out in the direction of the Francis Scott Key Bridge and not even know that there are 12 lanes of Interstate highway crossing close by. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

Presuming you're counting the Harbor Tunnel in that, though it's a little over a half-mile away from the southeast tip of Fort McHenry.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on September 27, 2013, 01:46:26 PM
Presuming you're counting the Harbor Tunnel in that, though it's a little over a half-mile away from the southeast tip of Fort McHenry.

I am. 

The BHT (I-895) portal on the north side is very close to the FMT (I-95) north portal in the Canton area, but they diverge from there, and the south portal of the BHT in the Fairfield section of Baltimore City is rather far from the south portal of the FMT in the Locust Point area of Baltimore.  Still, imagine what the view from Fort McHenry would have been like if both the FMT and BHT had been built as above-water crossings.

kj3400

I don't want to think about it.
I live in Brooklyn, just south of I-895 and, at this park near my job, have a clear view of downtown, the port and everything I wouldn't be able to see if I-95 had an ugly bridge cutting across the Harbor. I can imagine Fort McHenry wouldn't be so popular sitting in I-95's shadow.

SteveG1988

Quote from: kj3400 on September 28, 2013, 05:51:30 AM
I live in Brooklyn, just south of I-895 and, at this park near my job, have a clear view of downtown, the port and everything I wouldn't be able to see if I-95 had an ugly bridge cutting across the Harbor. I can imagine Fort McHenry wouldn't be so popular sitting in I-95's shadow.

Think about the highway having to rise up and over the harbor entry, would probably be similar to the platt bridge in philly
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

cpzilliacus

Agreed.

Imagine both I-95 and I-895 on their current alignments as bridges instead of in tunnels.  That would have been even worse.

I was not so enthused about the I-695 Outer Harbor Crossing (that was the planning name, now the F.S. Key Bridge) being a large bridge, but it's far enough out from the Inner Harbor that it does not loom over Fort McHenry. 

According to Scott Kozel's excellent historical write-up, the MdTA had envisioned it as a two-lane tunnel, but it became a four-lane bridge (with Super-2 approaches on both sides) because the cost was less.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: SteveG1988 on September 29, 2013, 06:05:33 AM

Think about the highway having to rise up and over the harbor entry, would probably be similar to the platt bridge in philly

Perhaps the Girard Point Bridge (I-95) would be a better comparison? 

Mergingtraffic

Found a website about the MARC project, that involves tearing down part of the US-40 stub.

This PDF has some plans complete with old signage in some of the drawings.
http://www.wbmarcproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/MTA_WBMARC_Project_Update_2014_0224.pdf

Also, one sentence concerns me:
The removal of the wall or highway to nowhere.  Hopefully not the whole thing.
http://www.wbmarcproject.com/projects/parking-expansion-enhancements/

So, what is there and what isn't? Google Maps isn't updated past 2011.  More signage gone?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

TheOneKEA

Quote from: doofy103 on April 17, 2014, 10:44:29 PM
Found a website about the MARC project, that involves tearing down part of the US-40 stub.

This PDF has some plans complete with old signage in some of the drawings.
http://www.wbmarcproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/MTA_WBMARC_Project_Update_2014_0224.pdf

Also, one sentence concerns me:
The removal of the wall or highway to nowhere.  Hopefully not the whole thing.
http://www.wbmarcproject.com/projects/parking-expansion-enhancements/

So, what is there and what isn't? Google Maps isn't updated past 2011.  More signage gone?

The most conspicuous absence is the old US 1 sign bridge showing the one-way paired street names.

bugo

Hopefully one day there will be a resurgence of freeway building and the Baltimore freeway system will be completed (and supplemented by other new freeways).

kj3400

Quote from: bugo on April 19, 2014, 01:21:19 AM
Hopefully one day there will be a resurgence of freeway building and the Baltimore freeway system will be completed (and supplemented by other new freeways).

As hopeful as that sounds (I share the same sentiment), I don't know how it would happen. I-70's getting truncated at the Beltway because of the Red Line project and I'm not sure how they'd deal with I-83.

froggie

Simply put, it won't.  I-70 would have to go deep bore ($$$$$$$) to avoid Leakin Park and Gwyns Falls, and I-83 has a harbor and historic neighborhoods in the way.

TheOneKEA

Quote from: froggie on April 19, 2014, 11:18:45 AM
Simply put, it won't.  I-70 would have to go deep bore ($$$$$$$) to avoid Leakin Park and Gwyns Falls, and I-83 has a harbor and historic neighborhoods in the way.

I-83 is FAR more likely to be finished in comparison to I-70, even though the former would also need deep bore tunnels to avoid Fells Point. I think it is highly unlikely that central Maryland will see another freeway similar in size and footprint to the ICC built anytime soon, even with the most lavish environmental mitigation ever devised. I-83 has far fewer environmental concerns in comparison.

That being said, anyone who has read The Big Roads by Earl Swift will understand just how inflammatory any extension of I-70 would be, because people have LONG memories and will remember just how much of a mess the SRC and the city planners made when planning I-70 throug West Baltimore.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: TheOneKEA on April 19, 2014, 09:41:12 PM
That being said, anyone who has read The Big Roads by Earl Swift will understand just how inflammatory any extension of I-70 would be, because people have LONG memories and will remember just how much of a mess the SRC and the city planners made when planning I-70 throug West Baltimore.

Though if there is one place in Maryland that would likely benefit from a modern freeway connection to the outside world, it's West Baltimore.

bugo

Long memories don't last forever.  These folks will eventually die and there's always the chance that the younger generations will be pro-freeway and the system will be completed.  Never say never.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: bugo on April 20, 2014, 03:10:13 AM
Long memories don't last forever.  These folks will eventually die and there's always the chance that the younger generations will be pro-freeway and the system will be completed.  Never say never.

How many injuries and deaths (and missed economic development opportunities) have to happen before those people die?

bugo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 20, 2014, 01:10:03 PM
Quote from: bugo on April 20, 2014, 03:10:13 AM

How many injuries and deaths (and missed economic development opportunities) have to happen before those people die?

I know right?  These folks have blood on their hands.

Don't forget about wasted time and more pollution because of the design of the road.

Henry

I-83 is FAR more likely to be finished in comparison to I-70, even though the former would also need deep bore tunnels to avoid Fells Point. I think it is highly unlikely that central Maryland will see another freeway similar in size and footprint to the ICC built anytime soon, even with the most lavish environmental mitigation ever devised. I-83 has far fewer environmental concerns in comparison.

The same can be said about I-66 and I-95 going through Washington, DC.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Alps

Quote from: Henry on April 21, 2014, 03:46:45 PM

The same can be said about I-66 and I-95 going through Washington, DC.
On the one hand, I-95 can easily make it through DC by extending the tunnel. It's costly, but we theoretically could have the funding and technology to get it done with minimal disruption in the future. But on the other hand, do you want to be adding any traffic to I-395? I'm gonna say "no" to that one. On the other hand, completing I-70 and I-83 would actually bring a benefit to traffic along those corridors and their connections to I-95.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.