News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pretentious street names

Started by 1995hoo, November 02, 2021, 08:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

If you drive over Sherman Pass in California, you'll likely be on "Great Western Divide Highway" at some point. Well, calling it a highway is generous, given it's just a typical forest service road and it's only a few miles long. And while it does seem to be part of the Western Divide, it doesn't really boast a scenic view, with most of the surrounding landscape fairly flat.

steviep24

In Niagara Falls, NY they had Robert Moses Parkway. What remains of it was recently renamed Niagara Scenic Parkway.

Rothman

Quote from: steviep24 on April 16, 2024, 08:10:00 PMIn Niagara Falls, NY they had Robert Moses Parkway. What remains of it was recently renamed Niagara Scenic Parkway.

I fail to see the pretention, pretentiously.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Rothman on April 16, 2024, 09:53:47 PM
Quote from: steviep24 on April 16, 2024, 08:10:00 PMIn Niagara Falls, NY they had Robert Moses Parkway. What remains of it was recently renamed Niagara Scenic Parkway.

I fail to see the pretention, pretentiously.

Probably that it was named after Robert Moses. If we're calling stuff named after politicians "pretentious", I think the Hal Rogers Parkway (still the Daniel Boone Parkway to everyone with a brain) fits very well.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Rothman

Robert Moses was never elected to any position...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bzakharin

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on November 02, 2021, 06:42:04 PMinterocean blvd in holyoke, colo. i've mentioned it elsewhere.

fort collins has this area with all these nautical-themed streets ... that surround a smallish pond. things like whaler's way, landings drive, etc.
In that case would the Overseas Highway (and the Overseas Railroad that preceded it) count too? I mean it doesn't actually cross any seas.

Quillz

Thinking about it, I feel "Rim of the World Highway" might qualify. Pretty cool name for a mountain highway, but in reality the San Bernardinos are pretty modest in height, and a highway name like that would probably be better served in the Sierra Nevada, Rockies, or the Himalayas. And I don't really like "highway" being applied to two lane roads, although that's pretty standard in some places like Alaska.

bzakharin

Quote from: Quillz on April 18, 2024, 05:16:17 AMThinking about it, I feel "Rim of the World Highway" might qualify. Pretty cool name for a mountain highway, but in reality the San Bernardinos are pretty modest in height, and a highway name like that would probably be better served in the Sierra Nevada, Rockies, or the Himalayas. And I don't really like "highway" being applied to two lane roads, although that's pretty standard in some places like Alaska.
Here in New Jersey the name "highway" seems to be randomly applied. I'm not sure I know any "highway" here that deserves that name, except maybe McCarter Highway, a.k.a. NJ 21 (I'm excluding names nobody uses like all those different names for segments of I-287). I assume most of those names are historic relics of bygone days.

Scott5114

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on November 02, 2021, 06:42:04 PMfort collins has this area with all these nautical-themed streets ... that surround a smallish pond. things like whaler's way, landings drive, etc.

Las Vegas has nautical streets here and there... in the freaking desert. There's also a neighborhood that has a whole bunch of precipitation-themed streets: Raincloud Dr., Tempest Place, Hurricane Way. And one of them is Blizzard Lane. I would be surprised if Blizzard Lane has ever had more than an inch of snow since it was built.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 20, 2024, 06:12:42 AM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on November 02, 2021, 06:42:04 PMfort collins has this area with all these nautical-themed streets ... that surround a smallish pond. things like whaler's way, landings drive, etc.

Las Vegas has nautical streets here and there... in the freaking desert. There's also a neighborhood that has a whole bunch of precipitation-themed streets: Raincloud Dr., Tempest Place, Hurricane Way. And one of them is Blizzard Lane. I would be surprised if Blizzard Lane has ever had more than an inch of snow since it was built.
Can't forget about the Pokémon streets in Henderson. Pretty sure none of those streets ever saw a Pokémon on them.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Scott5114

Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 20, 2024, 06:29:09 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 20, 2024, 06:12:42 AM

Can't forget about the Pokémon streets in Henderson. Pretty sure none of those streets ever saw a Pokémon on them.

Those go in "awesome street names", thank you very much.

Well, okay, Squirtle Lane is sort of pretentious, because Henderson is no place for a water type.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.