News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Prefered Route?

Started by MarylandMichael, July 21, 2017, 12:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your choice of route when traveling from Delaware through New Jersey?

I-95 through Philadelphia
4 (14.3%)
I-295 through New Jersey
5 (17.9%)
New Jersey Turnpike
16 (57.1%)
US-1
1 (3.6%)
US-202
1 (3.6%)
US-130
1 (3.6%)
US-22
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 28

MarylandMichael

When traveling through New Jersey to/from Delaware, what route do you take?

jp the roadgeek

I voted I-295, as it's the route I would take if I'm going directly.  If I'm stopping in Philly, I take 95.  If I want to stop somewhere in northern DE, I'll jump over on 322 to 95.  If I want to take the scenic route, I'll take 202 (to PA 611 to NJ/NY 94)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jwolfer

295 to avoid NJTP tolls.  But a lot more commuter traffic on 295 in rush hours... there are more escape routes if thete is an accident on the road...

But generally the turnpike is faster. I havent been in NJ since 1999.. I am out of date

LGMS428

oscar

Depends a lot on what are your starting or ending points within or beyond NJ. For example, Trenton would have one set of alternatives, Atlantic City or elsewhere on the Jersey Shore another, and New York/Newark/New England yet another.

I didn't cast a vote (when the answer to the question is often "it depends", a poll doesn't work), though I'm partial to the New Jersey Turnpike especially the part parallel to I-295 where competition from the free Interstate holds down the turnpike tolls.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

qguy

Since I live in Pennsylvania (let's call my location the greater greater Philadelphia area), I never travel through New Jersey to/from Delaware. But you don't have a "none of the above" option.  :-D

PHLBOS

Quote from: oscar on July 21, 2017, 01:25:48 AM
Depends a lot on what are your starting or ending points within or beyond NJ. For example, Trenton would have one set of alternatives, Atlantic City or elsewhere on the Jersey Shore another, and New York/Newark/New England yet another.

I didn't cast a vote (when the answer to the question is often "it depends", a poll doesn't work)
^^This.

Quote from: qguy on July 21, 2017, 08:27:32 AM
Since I live in Pennsylvania (let's call my location the greater greater Philadelphia area), I never travel through New Jersey to/from Delaware. But you don't have a "none of the above" option.  :-D
Good point.  Since I've lived in the Greater Philadelphia area (in Delaware County, roughly 3 miles from the I-95/PA 420 interchange) for the last 27 years; my origin (from home) will always be in PA and will always involve using at least a stretch of I-95 in the Keystone State.

Unless they decide to extend 420 into NJ to I-295 via a tunnel.  :sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

I'm already in NJ...what do I do???!!!

(My personal preference - 295.  But since 295 doesn't go "through" NJ, the option should really be 295 to the NJ Turnpike.

God Bless anyone who takes 130 the entire way.  It's a nice, quiet route south of the Commodore Barry Bridge (plus a nice construction project that'll remove the 4 lane drawbridge in Logan Twp), but can be a bear to drive thru Camden and Burlington Counties!

akotchi

I live northeast of Philly, so I can use any of I-95, I-295 or NJ Turnpike to or from home.  The Turnpike route is usually an outbound choice now because of the relatively new $5 toll WB at the bridge, but I can still use Exit 5 to the Burlington Bristol Bridge going home if I wanted to.

Choice of NJ route or PA route usually depends on time of day and day of week.

Because of where I live, I usually don't have the trip from Delaware to points north of Trenton in one trip.  If I did, it would most likely be the Turnpike.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

epzik8

I almost always do the Turnpike. I-95 through Philadelphia is when I'm actually going to Philly.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

froggie

G:  a mix
H:  none of the above.

When I was stationed in DC and headed north, I took a route that avoided Delaware and NJ entirely.

When I was stationed in Norfolk, I was typically traveling through the area off-peak.  If I was in a hurry, I'd take the Delaware Memorial Bridge, I-295, and US 1 to the Parkway.  If I wasn't in a hurry, I was usually roadgeeking or route clinching and not following a typical route.

74/171FAN

FYI, I moved this to Northeast as it more fits here than in Mid-Atlantic IMO.  -Mark
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: MarylandMichael on July 21, 2017, 12:17:08 AM
When traveling through New Jersey to/from Delaware, what route do you take?

1. The New Jersey Turnpike from Exit 1 to however far I am going in New  Jersey (in recent trips Exit 8, Exit 10, Exit 11, Exit 13, Exit 14C, or the GWB).

2.  I-295 from the Delaware Memorial Bridge to Exit 60 (I-195) or Exit 67 (U.S. 1),  depending on destination.

3.  I might consider I-95 (Delaware Expressway) across Philadelphia once the Bristol Interchange is done later this century.  Of course, if  I am going to someplace in Philly or nearby, then I-95 (or I-95 to I-476) is generally the best route.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 21, 2017, 05:09:22 PM
FYI, I moved this to Northeast as it more fits here than in Mid-Atlantic IMO.  -Mark
Dammit, now we're stuck with it!

ixnay

Quote from: oscar on July 21, 2017, 01:25:48 AM

I didn't cast a vote (when the answer to the question is often "it depends", a poll doesn't work), though I'm partial to the New Jersey Turnpike especially the part parallel to I-295 where competition from the free Interstate holds down the turnpike tolls.

Thumbs up!

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Which Delaware, county or state, does US 22 pass through? :pan:
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Alps

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 21, 2017, 09:45:05 PM
Which Delaware, county or state, does US 22 pass through? :pan:
River.

roadman65

I do not have a specific.  If I am pressed for time I will use the Turnpike.  If I am in not such a hurry I will take I-95 and US 1 from Lawrence, and there are times I will use I-295, but mostly the other way from I-195 from the Jersey shore.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

KEVIN_224

I live in central Connecticut, which almost always involves NYC from those areas afterwards. I voted for the NJ Turnpike.

plain

I'm almost always taking the turnpike as most of the time my destination is northern NJ or NYC anyway. I-295 is cool as long as it's not rush hour but even then I make my way to the turnpike no farther than I-195. I've used US 1 twice and got bogged down in traffic north of Princeton both times.
Newark born, Richmond bred

sparker

Unless I've had a specific stop in Philly, I've always opted for the Turnpike.  Its lack of direct connections to much of anything south of the Pennsylvania extension is effectively a blessing for through travelers -- doesn't attract much in the way of local traffic (ostensibly they're over on 295) to interfere with the through-put nature of the pike!

bzakharin

I live in SW NJ where the Turnpike and 295 are parallel, so it's I-95 to I-495 to US 322 (Commodore Barry Bridge) to US 130 to I-295 when coming from the Wilmington area and points west. Otherwise it's I-295 all the way. It will only be the Turnpike or Philly if there some pretty serious incident on the other routes. US 130 north of the I-295 multiplex is also an option if the incident is on that portion of I-295.

Also, you forgot US 40 on your list

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.