News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NY - Sequential vs. Mile Based Exits

Started by Buffaboy, January 25, 2018, 02:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 07, 2018, 05:06:54 PM
Quote from: Alps on April 07, 2018, 01:32:40 PM
The state line is not a "rule". The MUTCD recommends, but does not require, mileposts to reset.

The mile markers on I-495 (Capital Beltway) at the American Legion Bridge do not reset.  They continue to increase to the Springfield Interchange (I-95/I-395/I-495), where they reset to follow the I-95 miles (zero milepost at the North Carolina border south of Skippers) to the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.
Beltways get a different treatment in the MUTCD. Those that are multi-state do get to hold onto their numbers.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alps on April 08, 2018, 02:37:16 AM
Beltways get a different treatment in the MUTCD. Those that are multi-state do get to hold onto their numbers.

Thanks.  I was not aware that beltways got special treatment, though I-435 around the Kansas City, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri area also has exit numbers that ignore the crossings of the state line.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 08, 2018, 01:13:49 PM
Quote from: Alps on April 08, 2018, 02:37:16 AM

Thanks.  I was not aware that beltways got special treatment, though I-435 around the Kansas City, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri area also has exit numbers that ignore the crossings of the state line.

As does the I-275 beltway in Cincinnati that crosses 2 state lines.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Brandon

Yet, there are differing beltway cases.

I-255 (IL/MO) carries over the exit numbering and mileposts from Missouri into Illinois and changes only when it becomes IL-255 at I-270; however...
I-270 resets at the Mississippi River and I-270's exit numbering and mileposts carry into I-70 across Illinois.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.