News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Charlotte

Started by wriddle082, October 15, 2015, 05:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpi

Quote from: Rothman on October 04, 2016, 11:35:58 AM
Quote from: jpi on October 04, 2016, 12:50:13 AM
Quote from: froggie on January 24, 2016, 07:56:42 PM
Which suggests that you aren't the age you claim to be...

Actually, he is the age that he says he is, he was at my road meet and his dad this past April, his real name is Alex.

Dude...some people prefer to be anonymous on here.  Not cool to out their real name, even in defense of their age. :D
Good point, just defending the little guy. :)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

froggie

That was also several months ago, before anybody had met him...

noelbotevera

Quote from: jpi on October 04, 2016, 03:40:48 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 04, 2016, 11:35:58 AM
Quote from: jpi on October 04, 2016, 12:50:13 AM
Quote from: froggie on January 24, 2016, 07:56:42 PM
Which suggests that you aren't the age you claim to be...

Actually, he is the age that he says he is, he was at my road meet and his dad this past April, his real name is Alex.

Dude...some people prefer to be anonymous on here.  Not cool to out their real name, even in defense of their age. :D
Good point, just defending the little guy. :)
Nah, I don't care. In fact, I prefer being called my real name because it's a bit confusing using my dad's name. So feel free to call me Alex.

VTGoose

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 17, 2016, 05:38:01 PM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on September 13, 2016, 10:25:10 PM
I am too lazy to look it up, but where is the northern limit of the I-77 work?
If you mean the express lanes, it ends at Exit 36.

This looks like a make-work project that will be drawn out for a while to keep people employed. It will be nice when it is done, though. We came through there northbound on Thursday and it looked like they were having some kind of malfunction in the middle of the project (sorry, don't have the exact location other than north of exit 35). It looks like the roadway is in place all through there with work being done on median dividers, etc. -- except where there was a sinkhole that took out part of the lanes.

Also, we had the misfortune of having to travel I-77 on the afternoon before Thanksgiving (not my choice but unavoidable). Traffic was pretty jammed up from around Troutman until we got on I-485 to get around Charlotte, until we got into a small back-up to get back on I-77 (not anything like the jam to get on I-85 from I-485). We also sat in traffic coming back north due to a bad wreck on the southbound side on one of the bridges over Lake Norman (rubberneckers, I guess, had traffic moving slowly north). While it may be a bit out of the way, is I-85 approaching Charlotte from say, Salisbury, the same malfunction? Does it get jammed up/locked up or are there enough alternate routes to take care of diverted traffic? My thought is to jog over to Winston-Salem via I-74/U.S. 52, then continue south on 52 to hit I-85 at Lexington, then take that to I-485 and on around Charlotte.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Third Strike

The NCDOT has updated the status of the US 74 widening project in southeast Charlotte. Looks like the project won't be completed until sometime next Summer. That's around the same time work on the express lane project on I-485 in southern Charlotte will commence. And that shortens the break, as construction on the remaining segment of US 74 in Charlotte/Matthews will happen about four years later.

ccurley100

Lowe's is the reason why traffic is so screwed up between Mooresville and Huntersville in the afternoon.  My sister works for a realtor in Mooresville and lives near Birkdale in Huntersville.  There are some days when it takes her an hour or more to make the 12 mile trip.

wriddle082

Quote from: ccurley100 on March 02, 2017, 08:08:42 PM
Lowe's is the reason why traffic is so screwed up between Mooresville and Huntersville in the afternoon.  My sister works for a realtor in Mooresville and lives near Birkdale in Huntersville.  There are some days when it takes her an hour or more to make the 12 mile trip.

Welcome to the forum!

ARMOURERERIC

I had to visit a couple of the retail locations for the company I work for.  Wanted to note that property demolition is well underway and ROW clearing is just starting where the US 74 North Shelby freeway will cross NC 18.

Also that demolition is occurring at the NE quadrant of I-85 and US 321 for whatever project manager is happening there.

OracleUsr

I dread going across the lake in the afternoons; I-77 Southbound at Langtree is a nightmare.  Granted, my wife and i don't do so even every week, but when we do it's never good.  Always a relief when we reach the Davidson exit
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

jcarte29

I'd like to revive this thread, to at least announce that on Facebook I have posted pictures of the I-77 Express Lane project, from southern end all way up to the Northern End.

Its in SE Roads group and Freeway Jim
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

VTGoose

Quote from: jcarte29 on July 23, 2018, 03:58:19 PM
I'd like to revive this thread, to at least announce that on Facebook I have posted pictures of the I-77 Express Lane project, from southern end all way up to the Northern End.

We were just there this weekend for an anniversary celebration and stayed near the Northlake Mall (convenient to The Melting Pot in Huntersville). For something different we went down I-74/U.S. 52 through Winston-Salem and on to I-85 (worked to get us to Concord Mills). Sat in traffic at the never-ending construction on I-85 (same traffic we ran into a few years ago when taking the same route). Looked at almost-standstill traffic in the southbound lanes of I-77 late Saturday afternoon while heading north to Huntersville (came back on Statesville Rd. to avoid the interstate -- much easier trip -- but what is the plan for four-laning the stretch under I-485?). Fought our way through the construction on I-77 going south on Sunday and back again (headed to the new First Watch in Matthews for breakfast -- always worth the drive for First Watch). After multiple trips through Charlotte over the past three years (heading to and from Tampa) I still see no rhyme or reason to how the work is being done or what the end result will be. At times, there are multiple lanes paved but only two or three are in use, then on another trip the lanes have shifted for no reason. Construction seems to move from place to place, also, instead of being done in some rational order. It looks like an extended make-work project to keep people employed for some time into the future.

Bruce in Blacksburg

jcarte29

Quote from: VTGoose on July 24, 2018, 09:15:44 AM
Quote from: jcarte29 on July 23, 2018, 03:58:19 PM

We were just there this weekend for an anniversary celebration and stayed near the Northlake Mall (convenient to The Melting Pot in Huntersville). For something different we went down I-74/U.S. 52 through Winston-Salem and on to I-85 (worked to get us to Concord Mills). Sat in traffic at the never-ending construction on I-85 (same traffic we ran into a few years ago when taking the same route). Looked at almost-standstill traffic in the southbound lanes of I-77 late Saturday afternoon while heading north to Huntersville (came back on Statesville Rd. to avoid the interstate -- much easier trip -- but what is the plan for four-laning the stretch under I-485?). Fought our way through the construction on I-77 going south on Sunday and back again (headed to the new First Watch in Matthews for breakfast -- always worth the drive for First Watch). After multiple trips through Charlotte over the past three years (heading to and from Tampa) I still see no rhyme or reason to how the work is being done or what the end result will be. At times, there are multiple lanes paved but only two or three are in use, then on another trip the lanes have shifted for no reason. Construction seems to move from place to place, also, instead of being done in some rational order. It looks like an extended make-work project to keep people employed for some time into the future.

Bruce in Blacksburg

I don't disagree with you on any of that lol.

52/85 is the best connection from W-S to charlotte, especially once the new lanes through Kannapolis/Concord are complete (and all of them free lol).

I live and work in Huntersville, so fortunately I don't depend on 77 (merely cross over it two/three times a day) but the express lanes will be a benefit when I do need to go into town and uptown.

To your point about the project's progress, another outstanding point. I have no idea how it will be completed on time, just blind faith lol.
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

wdcrft63

" [Today] Transportation Secretary Jim Trogdon laid out his proposed path forward for the I-77 express lanes project that responds to concerns voiced by residents of north Mecklenburg County and feedback from the I-77 local advisory group. The I-77 contract was signed by the previous administration, and today's plan lays out the eventual objective for North Carolina to operate the project with clear steps that can be taken to help people more immediately."
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-08-15-i-77-express-lanes.aspx

jcarte29

------------------

jcarte29

It took a couple examinations of the project renderings, but I have made some notes about where toll gantries will be along I-77 HOT lanes.

The reasoning for this is two fold, one, to be aware of where they are given I live smack dab in middle of the project, and two, to make everyone here aware because through all my searches there isn't a user-friendly map anywhere on the project sites. (Good examples are maps of the Tri-Ex showing each gantry and the Monroe Expressway also showing gantry locations)

Working from South to North, there are 5 SB and 5 NB gantries in Mecklenburg Co.
- 1 each at the foot of the direct connector off of I-277, just north of the Oaklawn Av Bridge
- 1 SB just north of Cindy Ln, 1 NB just south of Sunset Rd, maybe MP 15?
- 1 SB, 1 NB, each are between MP 16-18, but south of the Lakeview Dr Connector
- 1 SB, 1 NB each are between MP 21-23, but south of Mt Holly/Htsville bridge and N of Hambright Connector
- 1 SB Exit 25 Sam Furr, south of exit ramp but still north of the SF Bridge itself
- 1 NB, north of Sam Furr, south of Westmoreland bridge, MP 26 possibly?

In Iredell Co, I count 2 SB and 1 NB (this is where I might solicit conversation here, because that doesn't balance out)
- 1 SB, 1 NB  each are between MP 31-33, but south of Fairview Rd 90 deg turn parallel to 77
- 1 SB just south of Exit 35 (Brawley School), north of the short Lake Norman bridge

So it would make sense if there was one more NB gantry, but I missed it in my study. Anyone care to help? Or maybe there isn't one after all.
------------------

jcarte29

On September 13-

"With I-77 Express set to open in late 2018, I-77 Mobility Partners will hold a public hearing to provide a presentation on toll pricing methodology and initial toll rates. Those persons wishing to comment about the proposed toll rates at the hearing must register at the venue prior to 7:00 p.m."

It will be at Huntersville United Methodist Church, Huntersville, NC. You will want to be there by 6:30 to register.
------------------

VTGoose

Quote from: jcarte29 on August 30, 2018, 09:16:27 AM
On September 13-

"With I-77 Express set to open in late 2018 . . .

I want what he's drinking. We made a weekend trip to the Charlotte airport (cheaper to fly 5 of us to middle son's wedding in Key West than to fly out of Roanoke), which covered I-77 south to the I-85 junction. There are now toll gantries in place in several locations and lots and lots of new (and covered) signs. But there is still a lot of construction, lane shifts, and rough pavement. If the lanes are supposed to open by the end of the year there will have to be around-the-clock work going on or maybe the plan is to move traffic to the newly paved toll lanes (and charge?) while the other lanes are paved. At any rate, this has been the most screwed-up and convoluted construction project I have ever seen. If there were a better way to get from Blacksburg to the west coast of Florida, I would take it (I've looked at I-74 but it goes east at Rockingham to hit I-95, which is too far out of the way; U.S. 52 and/or NC/SC 38 just don't look like fast routes).

Bruce in Blacksburg

jcarte29

Quote from: VTGoose on November 07, 2018, 03:45:42 PM
On September 13-

I want what he's drinking. We made a weekend trip to the Charlotte airport (cheaper to fly 5 of us to middle son's wedding in Key West than to fly out of Roanoke), which covered I-77 south to the I-85 junction. There are now toll gantries in place in several locations and lots and lots of new (and covered) signs. But there is still a lot of construction, lane shifts, and rough pavement. If the lanes are supposed to open by the end of the year there will have to be around-the-clock work going on or maybe the plan is to move traffic to the newly paved toll lanes (and charge?) while the other lanes are paved. At any rate, this has been the most screwed-up and convoluted construction project I have ever seen. If there were a better way to get from Blacksburg to the west coast of Florida, I would take it (I've looked at I-74 but it goes east at Rockingham to hit I-95, which is too far out of the way; U.S. 52 and/or NC/SC 38 just don't look like fast routes).

Bruce in Blacksburg

That line was from a direct quote. I live on I-77, and I agree with you on every point. There's now talk it will open in "segments" which was not the original intentions.

For example, the direct connector from Hambright Rd won't open until Summer 2019, even as the lanes are open throughout the project (MM 11-36)

I have not found any news or articles about which segments will open and when that will be...and I've even been by the new customer service centers for NC Turnpike Authority in both Monroe and Charlotte, and they are as clueless about it. (Not to say they aren't helpful, they are, and the first project that *will* make its opening on time is the Monroe Expressway)
------------------

jcarte29

------------------

VTGoose

Quote from: jcarte29 on November 14, 2018, 08:06:20 AM
http://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/local-news/i-77-toll-lane-project-will-not-open-by-end-of-2018-as-planned-officials-confirm

A follow up to my comment on 11/08, but vague on details :-/

<gomer pyle>Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!</gomer pyle>

Details? Anyone who has driven through that abomination can see that the contractor(s) failed that construction management class. It would be interesting to find out how the managers determined which random section would be worked on -- dart board? turn of a playing card? blindfolded pointing to a map?

It was interesting to read one of the related stories attached to the above story, about how the contractor put in 8 miles of median barrier without rebar.
The concrete barrier wall being built from exit 28 to exit 36 is being replaced after a major mishap in construction.

"What's upsetting is that it's going to go on even longer because they obviously don't know what they're doing," said Shannon Horne.

Sugar Creek Construction built the first barrier wall without steel rebar, according to the North Carolina Department of Transportation.

Shannon is one smart person -- too bad she didn't work for NCDOT when these contracts were being let.

It will be interesting to see the "progress" next week as we head south for Thanksgiving.

Bruce in Blacksburg

Henry

Quote from: jcarte29 on November 08, 2018, 09:45:43 AM
Quote from: VTGoose on November 07, 2018, 03:45:42 PM
On September 13-

Bruce in Blacksburg

That line was from a direct quote. I live on I-77, and I agree with you on every point. There's now talk it will open in "segments" which was not the original intentions.

For example, the direct connector from Hambright Rd won't open until Summer 2019, even as the lanes are open throughout the project (MM 11-36)

I have not found any news or articles about which segments will open and when that will be...and I've even been by the new customer service centers for NC Turnpike Authority in both Monroe and Charlotte, and they are as clueless about it. (Not to say they aren't helpful, they are, and the first project that *will* make its opening on time is the Monroe Expressway)
Quote from: VTGoose on November 14, 2018, 08:46:47 AM
http://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/local-news/i-77-toll-lane-project-will-not-open-by-end-of-2018-as-planned-officials-confirm

Details? Anyone who has driven through that abomination can see that the contractor(s) failed that construction management class. It would be interesting to find out how the managers determined which random section would be worked on -- dart board? turn of a playing card? blindfolded pointing to a map?

It was interesting to read one of the related stories attached to the above story, about how the contractor put in 8 miles of median barrier without rebar.
The concrete barrier wall being built from exit 28 to exit 36 is being replaced after a major mishap in construction.

"What's upsetting is that it's going to go on even longer because they obviously don't know what they're doing," said Shannon Horne.

Sugar Creek Construction built the first barrier wall without steel rebar, according to the North Carolina Department of Transportation.

Shannon is one smart person -- too bad she didn't work for NCDOT when these contracts were being let.

It will be interesting to see the "progress" next week as we head south for Thanksgiving.

Bruce in Blacksburg

This is the kind of BS that I'd expect in Chicago, given how crooked their government is.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mvak36

Quote from: VTGoose on November 14, 2018, 08:46:47 AM

Bruce in Blacksburg

Is it too late to buy that company out and let the NC Turnpike authority run these toll lanes?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

TimQuiQui

According to the DOT, yes, a buyout is likely. The state has expressed a willingness to buy them out and convert one of the toll lanes to general purpose, but insisted they can't do that until the state does all it's scoring and calculations for the next STIP to determine a horizion year. Which to say the least has been met with skepticism from local leaders who feel since NCDOT created this disaster, maybe NCDOT should treat this as a special case to solve it faster. I'm sure that discontment will only grow with this new development.

Mileage Mike

Quote from: VTGoose on December 02, 2016, 11:59:13 AM

This looks like a make-work project that will be drawn out for a while to keep people employed. It will be nice when it is done, though. We came through there northbound on Thursday and it looked like they were having some kind of malfunction in the middle of the project (sorry, don't have the exact location other than north of exit 35). It looks like the roadway is in place all through there with work being done on median dividers, etc. -- except where there was a sinkhole that took out part of the lanes.

Also, we had the misfortune of having to travel I-77 on the afternoon before Thanksgiving (not my choice but unavoidable). Traffic was pretty jammed up from around Troutman until we got on I-485 to get around Charlotte, until we got into a small back-up to get back on I-77 (not anything like the jam to get on I-85 from I-485). We also sat in traffic coming back north due to a bad wreck on the southbound side on one of the bridges over Lake Norman (rubberneckers, I guess, had traffic moving slowly north). While it may be a bit out of the way, is I-85 approaching Charlotte from say, Salisbury, the same malfunction? Does it get jammed up/locked up or are there enough alternate routes to take care of diverted traffic? My thought is to jog over to Winston-Salem via I-74/U.S. 52, then continue south on 52 to hit I-85 at Lexington, then take that to I-485 and on around Charlotte.

Bruce in Blacksburg

The portion between the 77/485 interchange north of Uptown Charlotte is part of the current toll lane construction. The portion from Uptown south to the SC state line is going to be a massive project calling for 10 lanes (5 in each direction) and probably won't be completed in the next 5 years. Last I heard from CDOT officials it was still being debated whether the additional 2 lanes should be both tolled or 1 tolled and 1 free.

jcarte29

Quote from: Cemajr on November 21, 2018, 03:12:59 PM
Quote from: VTGoose on December 02, 2016, 11:59:13 AM

Bruce in Blacksburg

The portion between the 77/485 interchange north of Uptown Charlotte is part of the current toll lane construction. The portion from Uptown south to the SC state line is going to be a massive project calling for 10 lanes (5 in each direction) and probably won't be completed in the next 5 years. Last I heard from CDOT officials it was still being debated whether the additional 2 lanes should be both tolled or 1 tolled and 1 free.

Miles 11-36 (I-277 intersection being the southern end) is the toll project.

But because its so far behind, its now going to open in segments, which wasn't the original intentions. Uggghh
------------------

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.