News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

US 41's official vs. signed endpoint in Miami

Started by usends, March 07, 2017, 11:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

Quick background: In 1950, the US 41 designation was extended east to Miami, and it ended where its predecessor (US 94) had ended: on SW 8th Street at Brickell Avenue (jct. US 1).  A couple years later, US 41 was extended north through downtown Miami, then east over the causeway, ending at jct. FL A1A in Miami Beach.  This extension was signed as US 41 for about 50 years.  But in about 2000, FDoT decided to remove all references to US 41 east of US 1.  They even posted "End US 41" assemblies on 8th at Brickell.  Then in 2013 they diverted US 1 traffic off Brickell, and they removed the "End US 41" assemblies.  But through all this, they have never officially truncated US 41: all of their documentation still indicates that US 41 extends to Miami Beach.  (Photos and more details on the US 41 page and the Miami page.)

So my question is this: has anyone ever heard FDoT's reasons for having a disparity between US 41's official routing and its field-posted routing?

usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Mapmikey

FDOT even erroneously posted US 41 to head south on Brickell for a time...(go to Jan 2014 view if this link doesn't get you there)

https://goo.gl/maps/N7r2pnx8bdx

The Ghostbuster

I don't think US 41 should have gone to Miami Beach. US 1 in Miami seems like a logical terminus to me.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 07, 2017, 05:07:50 PM
I don't think US 41 should have gone to Miami Beach. US 1 in Miami seems like a logical terminus to me.

Ironically that's what US 90, 92, 192, and 98 do ending A1A instead of US 1.   

Brian556

The US 41 situation sounds just like the US 127 situation at Chattanooga TN. It even has a false END sign

emory

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 07, 2017, 12:20:41 PM
FDOT even erroneously posted US 41 to head south on Brickell for a time...(go to Jan 2014 view if this link doesn't get you there)

https://goo.gl/maps/N7r2pnx8bdx

And even that was technically correct. FDOT hasn't even updated the re-routing of US 1 in Miami. All the signs on Brickell were pulled down and that was it. If you're trying to follow US 1 through downtown Miami you have no idea where to continue.

NE2

That wasn't correct; the US 41 sign was SOUTH of SR 90.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

dvferyance

Quote from: Brian556 on March 08, 2017, 12:38:16 AM
The US 41 situation sounds just like the US 127 situation at Chattanooga TN. It even has a false END sign
Or like US 60 in Virginia Beach.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.