News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-77 Extension in S.C.

Started by Grzrd, September 07, 2017, 10:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham is making noises about extending I-77:

Camden City Councilwoman Joanna Craig asked Graham about Amtrak, which the senator agreed needs to be better managed. However, he also said he would like to see I-77 extended past Columbia and I-73 -- which currently only exists in North Carolina -- completed to Myrtle Beach.
"Having more (interstate) arteries is better for rural counties,"  Graham said.

I assumed he meant in the general direction toward the I-16/I-95 interchange. However, in remarks to the South Carolina I-77 Alliance, a booster group currently composed of representatives from Chester, Fairfield, Richland and York Counties, that he wanted to see I-77 go to Atlanta (doesn't I-20 serve the Columbia-Atlanta connection?):

"The last thing is infrastructure: our roads and our bridges are falling apart. This I-77 Alliance was generated by a vision long ago to build a new interstate highway. It stops in Columbia. My goal is to get it all the way to Atlanta, to have Atlanta and Charlotte connected. Can you imagine the economic development opportunity if we just keep building this interstate?"  he said.
Graham told the members of the Alliance, "Thank you for having the vision that you're all in it together. The combined efforts of the South Carolina I-77 Alliance will pay great dividends over time to all of your businesses,"  he said.

At any rate, with a strong booster group supporting an extension of some sort, steady progress should be made. Has anyone seen a map of the "vision" or have any other information regarding this?

LM117

I-20 already connects Columbia and Atlanta and I-85 connects Atlanta and Charlotte. Graham doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. He caught a bad case of POTUS-itis.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

triplemultiplex

Brain-dead ideas from the geographically illiterate aside, I don't see enough benefit in extending I-77 very far in any direction without pissing away billions of dollars that don't exist on a redundant facility for basically no one.

The one plausible idea I can spitball is to loop it back to I-20 west of Columbia by blasting through loads of subdivisions.  Very much a local project.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

The Ghostbuster

Interstate 77 will go to Port Huron, MI before it goes any further from Columbia IMHO.

WashuOtaku

I could see I-77 following US 321 from Cayce to Hardeeville, but it would really serve no real purpose as it wouldn't shave off that much time away from I-26/I-95.  Alternative would be to go towards Statesboro, GA along US 301, but that even makes less sense.

ARMOURERERIC

Looking at an SC map, I think a Camden to Rockingham.interstate will get them the best bang for the buck.

sparker

A few years ago I had read some rumblings about an Interstate along US 1 between Augusta, GA and Jacksonville, FL (although for the life of me I can't see this being of any particular value); possibly this might be what Graham and company are talking about, obviously requiring a lengthy multiplex along I-20. 

That being said, if climate warming is going to repeatedly produce Atlantic/Gulf storms of the magnitude of Harvey and Irma, an additional efficient way out of Florida (especially one that doesn't funnel everyone into Atlanta!) may be appropriate; whether something Interstate-grade would make a difference would, of course, be fodder for debate!

adventurernumber1

I-77 going to Atlanta, of course, that is if you want a ridiculous and useless concurrency with I-20 all the way there.  :rolleyes:

But anyway, onto the real subject, an I-77 extension does sound intriguing to me, but at this time I personally have not decided on my opinion on just how to conduct that. Simply extending it to connect to I-20 and forming a full loop around Columbia could work quite well, as someone else said.

I think energy, at least for now, should be focused on widening I-95 and I-26 in South Carolina (which, as someone said, is not that much longer of a route than a theoretical extended I-77), and in Georgia, an interstate connecting Columbus, Macon, and Augusta, and a possible I-22 extension that would include connecting Columbus, Albany, and Brunswick.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

LM117

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on September 08, 2017, 09:36:43 PM
Looking at an SC map, I think a Camden to Rockingham.interstate will get them the best bang for the buck.

An extension of I-87 from Raleigh along US-1 would make the most sense in this case. NCDOT has already attempted (and failed) to get US-1 designated as an interstate between Raleigh and Sanford. I wouldn't put it past them to try again. However, I think there's no chance of SC going along with it. US-1 in SC is a different animal than  in NC.

roadman65

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on September 09, 2017, 03:24:10 AM
I-77 going to Atlanta, of course, that is if you want a ridiculous and useless concurrency with I-20 all the way there.  :rolleyes:

But anyway, onto the real subject, an I-77 extension does sound intriguing to me, but at this time I personally have not decided on my opinion on just how to conduct that. Simply extending it to connect to I-20 and forming a full loop around Columbia could work quite well, as someone else said.

I think energy, at least for now, should be focused on widening I-95 and I-26 in South Carolina (which, as someone said, is not that much longer of a route than a theoretical extended I-77), and in Georgia, an interstate connecting Columbus, Macon, and Augusta, and a possible I-22 extension that would include connecting Columbus, Albany, and Brunswick.
I-14 is planned to connect Columbus, Macon, and Augusta.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

plain

The ONLY interstate South Carolina needs is whatever will connect Myrtle Beach to I-95. Anything outside of that is just a waste of time & $$.
Newark born, Richmond bred

LM117

Quote from: plain on September 09, 2017, 06:52:42 AM
The ONLY interstate South Carolina needs is whatever will connect Myrtle Beach to I-95.

That would be I-73.

The Nature Boy

I think it's hilarious that Lindsey Graham apparently forgets that Gaffney/Spartanburg/Greenville exist and that I-85 runs through there as a connector to Charlotte and Atlanta.

roadman65

I think efforts should be made to concentrate on getting I-73 done as NC has a lot of it done and SC only has a short distance in their state to do it to make it whole from at least Greensboro down to the beach.

Plus get US 1 upgraded from Rockingham to Raleigh as that seems to be important regionally.  All the years I traveled that part I noticed that it had some traffic and compared to US 1 between Camden, SC and Rockingham, NC the traffic counts are way higher on this stretch.  It seems like Rockingham is a turning point along the US highway as it goes from very desolate with few cars to some light traffic. 

I know it can't be through traffic as it would imply that Charlotte to Raleigh use both US 74 and US 1, which would be better served by I-85 and I-40 to accomplish that.   Being that Southern Pines and Sanford and all the areas in between have some population as you see businesses and subdivisions on a frequent basis as there is hardly any agricultural areas due to NC's vast Pine Barrens it has to be regional commerce and commuting between points along its linear line.

Part of it is freeway and with plans to bypass Rockingham on US 1 it could all tie in.   The interstate could end at I-74 there (or even I-73 if SC ever gets to it) and be part of the system connecting the east-west routes together.  I-87 southward would be this and even brought up by other users.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

VTGoose

Quote from: WashuOtaku on September 08, 2017, 06:39:19 PM
I could see I-77 following US 321 from Cayce to Hardeeville, but it would really serve no real purpose as it wouldn't shave off that much time away from I-26/I-95.  Alternative would be to go towards Statesboro, GA along US 301, but that even makes less sense.

This would be more of a Georgia project, but extending I-77 south from Columbia to I-75 in Florida would open up a large section of central Georgia and provide an alternate for north-south traffic to and from the Gulf Coast of Florida as opposed to I-4 or I-10 to get from I-95 (after running down I-26 from I-77).

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

D-Dey65

Quote from: VTGoose on September 15, 2017, 04:53:59 PM
Quote from: WashuOtaku on September 08, 2017, 06:39:19 PM

This would be more of a Georgia project, but extending I-77 south from Columbia to I-75 in Florida would open up a large section of central Georgia and provide an alternate for north-south traffic to and from the Gulf Coast of Florida as opposed to I-4 or I-10 to get from I-95 (after running down I-26 from I-77).

Bruce in Blacksburg

So why hasn't anyone considered WashuOtaku's idea as a possible alternate route to Savannah?

Revive 755

Quote from: LM117 on September 09, 2017, 03:30:20 AM
An extension of I-87 from Raleigh along US-1 would make the most sense in this case. NCDOT has already attempted (and failed) to get US-1 designated as an interstate between Raleigh and Sanford. I wouldn't put it past them to try again.

I thought they tried the FHWA-AASHTO route last time?  Certainly wouldn't be surprising if they tried the Congressional route the second time and had more success.

wriddle082

Widen/improve US 321 to Hardeeville.  Widen I-26 b/w Columbia area and I-95, and I-95 from Hardeeville to I-26.

And vote Lindsey Graham out of office!!!

DISCLAIMER: Any potential I-77 South extension could potentially run through my house, and there are MANY other higher priorities that SCDOT needs to focus on, such as the above.

21stCenturyRoad

Another great way to extend I-77 is by extending it down to Savannah, as it gives cities like Cleveland, Charlotte and Columbia a direct connection to/from I-95.
The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

jwolfer

Quote from: 21stCenturyRoad on September 16, 2017, 05:06:42 PM
Another great way to extend I-77 is by extending it down to Savannah, as it gives cities like Cleveland, Charlotte and Columbia a direct connection to/from I-95.
How is this any real difference than using 77-26 to 95.  It would make more sense to improve i26 east of Columbia to at least i95 and upgrade the 26/95 merger

LGMS428

sparker

Quote from: jwolfer on September 16, 2017, 09:55:01 PM
Quote from: 21stCenturyRoad on September 16, 2017, 05:06:42 PM
How is this any real difference than using 77-26 to 95.  It would make more sense to improve i26 east of Columbia to at least i95 and upgrade the 26/95 merger

LGMS428

Fully agree with this analysis.  The I-26/I-95 interchange (full cloverleaf) was designed and built before I-77 was extended south of Charlotte down to Columbia; the NB>WB and EB>SB ramps are seeing a lot more use in the last few decades than their design standards can accommodate; an interchange rebuild is definitely in order -- or at least a flyover and a widened direct ramp in the directions cited above.  6-laning I-95 from the GA state line to at least I-26 and I-26 from there to I-77 and/or I-20 would also be appropriate -- although SC seems to have ongoing problems identifying funds for projects of this sort (not to mention new-terrain corridors -- cough, cough.....I-73).  Still, upgrading the present 26/95 interchange would be much more feasible -- and reasonable -- than dragging a I-77 extension down US 321 toward Savannah! 

ARMOURERERIC

I had mentioned in another post that local radio news mentions a SC STIP that widens 185 miles of SC interstates to 6 lanes over the next 10 years.  I can't find details thought.

Mapmikey

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on September 17, 2017, 10:11:46 AM
I had mentioned in another post that local radio news mentions a SC STIP that widens 185 miles of SC interstates to 6 lanes over the next 10 years.  I can't find details thought.

Closest thing I could find...widenings don't add up to 185 miles though...

http://206.74.144.42/ESTIP/downloads/System%20Upgrade%20-%20Interstate.html?_=1505659725638

hbelkins

Graham is an idiot. He and John McCain deserve each other.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Henry

My guess is, he's duplicating I-20 from Columbia to Atlanta. That's like extending I-83 from Baltimore to Washington when you already have I-95 for the same purpose. But in any situation, he's a moron for that.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.