News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Old Traffic Signals

Started by Alex, June 21, 2009, 09:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traffic light guy

TonyTrafficLight

Here's an old signal. A Crouse Hinds Type T or Porthole Signal I acquired yesterday

I like signals I guess

https://tonytrafficlight.com

traffic light guy

Spring Garden Street has the threshold of old signals in my area:

Old Crouse-Hinds type M 12" signals:
12-inch Crouse-Hinds type M signal by thesignalman, on Flickr

12-inch Crouse-Hinds type M signals by thesignalman, on Flickr

12" Crouse-Hinds type M signal by thesignalman, on Flickr

12-inch Crouse-Hinds type M by thesignalman, on Flickr

Then there was an intersection with a square-door bull's eye:
Square-Door Econolite Bullseye by thesignalman, on Flickr

Some type R signals:
12" Crouse-Hinds type R signals by thesignalman, on Flickr

Highway Signal-Sign Co. brand signals and Marbelites:
Highway Signal & Sign Co. with a Marbelite by thesignalman, on Flickr

And some Eagles:
12-inch Eagle Flatback by thesignalman, on Flickr

12-inch Eagle Flatback by thesignalman, on Flickr

Eagle Flatback with chipped backplate by thesignalman, on Flickr

CJResotko

CJResotko

There is an Eagle fixed 3-way beacon in the town of Maple City, Michigan: https://youtu.be/8tuJdm510iM

traffic light guy

There are a few ancient eaglelux spottings in Lower Merion, PA:

Ancient Eaglelux by thesignalman, on Flickr

Ancient Eaglelux signal by thesignalman, on Flickr

I also found the eaglelux signals with the 12" enlarger unit, that Ian took a picture of:
Eaglelux signals with 12" adapters by thesignalman, on Flickr

Eaglelux signal with a 12" adapter by thesignalman, on Flickr

There was another one of these 12-8-8 eaglelux in this intersection, but they got replaced by Peeks

TonyTrafficLight

Here's another old one I just picked up. Complete (minus one command lens) Harrington Seaberg Signal

I like signals I guess

https://tonytrafficlight.com

traffic light guy

I captured these Eagles just days before they got replaced by Econolite Buttonbacks (Sad to see them go, they've been serving the Ceaderbrook Shopping Center entrance for over 50 years):

4-section Eagle Flatback (Being replaced by Econolite Buttonbacks) by thesignalman, on Flickr

Ceaderbrook Shopping Center Signal Upgrades by thesignalman, on Flickr

A Safetran:
Safetran (Being replaced by Econolite Buttonbacks) by thesignalman, on Flickr

This intersection also had PennDOT's old school 24/7 Red Ball Left Turn Signal:
PennDOT Old School 24/7 Red Ball by thesignalman, on Flickr

Update: Some idiot at PennDOT didn't put a red arrow on the new left turn signal that replaced this, instead it's a red ball, which makes me a little angry

jakeroot

^^
I remember seeing that 4-section Eagle posted somewhere else (probably this thread), showing its old-school green arrow. I see from Street View that it was recently replaced; now the entire assembly is history too. Damn!

As usual, the new signals won't be anywhere near as visible as their old-school setups. Although I appreciate the old signals, I will miss the old signal placement setup more.

Roadsguy

Quote from: traffic light guy on September 22, 2019, 07:47:19 PM

Ooo, I didn't know there was another one of those surviving, let alone in an area I'm familiar with. The all-directions one at PA 72 and Dillerville Road in Lancaster may now be the last one in the state. (It's not 24/7, though, because the turn phases are on sensors so that the straight through and left turn signals are green, in which case there would be no red. The former example at US 422 and PA 501 in Myerstown–replaced last year with modern signals–worked the same way.)
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

traffic light guy

Quote from: Roadsguy on September 24, 2019, 12:17:35 PM
Quote from: traffic light guy on September 22, 2019, 07:47:19 PM

Ooo, I didn't know there was another one of those surviving, let alone in an area I'm familiar with. The all-directions one at PA 72 and Dillerville Road in Lancaster may now be the last one in the state. (It's not 24/7, though, because the turn phases are on sensors so that the straight through and left turn signals are green, in which case there would be no red. The former example at US 422 and PA 501 in Myerstown–replaced last year with modern signals–worked the same way.)

Pennsylvania is a very large state, I highly doubt that that is the last one

traffic light guy

Here's an intersection in Southwest Philly that has seven Bullseyes in one intersection:

Square-Door Econolite Bullseye by thesignalman, on Flickr

Square-Door Econolite Bullseyes by thesignalman, on Flickr

Square-Door Econolite Bullseye with a Highway Signal & Sign Co. by thesignalman, on Flickr

Panned out view of the setup:

Square-Door Econolite Bullseye signals by thesignalman, on Flickr

jakeroot

Quote from: traffic light guy on September 29, 2019, 05:04:33 PM
Here's an intersection in Southwest Philly that has seven Bullseyes in one intersection:

Are bullseyes pretty rare in PA? I know they're all universally old, no matter where, but they're probably the most common "old" signal in Western WA.

traffic light guy

Quote from: jakeroot on September 29, 2019, 07:07:27 PM

Are bullseyes pretty rare in PA? I know they're all universally old, no matter where, but they're probably the most common "old" signal in Western WA.

Eagles are the most common "old" signal in Pennsylvania. Bullseyes, on the other hand, in Philly itself, were common decades ago, but are now endangered, although they're scattered around the city itself. As for the District 6 suburbs, this is the only intersection that I'm aware still has them:

4-section Square-Door Econolite Bullseye by thesignalman, on Flickr

4-section Square-Door Econolite Bullseye by thesignalman, on Flickr

The only part of PA where bull's eyes are common is the Pittsburg area, way on the Western side of PA. 

jakeroot

Quote from: traffic light guy on September 30, 2019, 06:36:56 PM

Eagles are the most common "old" signal in Pennsylvania. Bullseyes, on the other hand, in Philly itself, were common decades ago, but are now endangered, although they're scattered around the city itself. As for the District 6 suburbs, this is the only intersection that I'm aware still has them:
The only part of PA where bull's eyes are common is the Pittsburg area, way on the Western side of PA. 

I see. Quite a few of the ones I'm familiar with don't even have housings around the lens: https://goo.gl/maps/MCw8cHvBWEJpPi4MA  -- just a bunch of circles hanging onto each other!

traffic light guy

Quote from: jakeroot on September 30, 2019, 10:34:17 PM

I see. Quite a few of the ones I'm familiar with don't even have housings around the lens: https://goo.gl/maps/MCw8cHvBWEJpPi4MA  -- just a bunch of circles hanging onto each other!
The bullseyes is your GSV that lack housing around the lenses are known as round-door bullseyes. The regular bullseyes (Such as the ones in Philly) are known as square door bullseyes.

LG-M327

jakeroot

Quote from: traffic light guy on October 01, 2019, 01:22:18 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 30, 2019, 10:34:17 PM

The bullseyes is your GSV that lack housing around the lenses are known as round-door bullseyes. The regular bullseyes (Such as the ones in Philly) are known as square door bullseyes.

Thanks. I'm not sure why these became common, but they did. A couple of them have backplates (obviously old backplates), and the cutout for the round door is quite funny-looking when viewed from the front. Another example in Seattle.

traffic light guy

More older signals found in Philly:

Here is a 12" Highway Signal & Sign:

12-inch Highway Signal & Sign Co. by thesignalman, on Flickr

A 12" Crouse-Hinds type R signal:
8" Eagle Mark IV with a 12" Crouse-Hinds type R by thesignalman, on Flickr

And another Highway Signal & Sign. found at the same intersection as the bullseyes:
12-inch Highway Signal & Sign Co. by thesignalman, on Flickr

jakeroot

Found some more Econolite round-door Bullseye flashers along the 101 at WA-20. Very rural area; all but a couple seemingly re-painted a brighter shade of green than usual (within the last year), and all are incandescent bulbs with an awesome fade-on/fade-off motion. Look to be in great shape, too:

US-101 @ WA-20, Discovery Bay

(full-size photos below; slightly edited to improve clarity)

traffic light guy

Quote from: jakeroot on October 07, 2019, 12:14:33 AM
Found some more Econolite round-door Bullseye flashers along the 101 at WA-20. Very rural area; all but a couple seemingly re-painted a brighter shade of green than usual (within the last year), and all are incandescent bulbs with an awesome fade-on/fade-off motion. Look to be in great shape, too:

Although I'm more of a square-door guy, I do find it pretty neat to see a set of bullseye beacons, something you don't see everyday

jakeroot

Quote from: traffic light guy on October 10, 2019, 07:24:42 PM
Although I'm more of a square-door guy, I do find it pretty neat to see a set of bullseye beacons, something you don't see everyday

Normally, I agree. Square-door models look better, especially when stacked. But by themselves, as beacons, I think I may prefer the round-door models. These ones in particular are really well-maintained, which makes them look better IMO.

Here's another set of round-door Bullseye signals in Tacoma. Probably one of the oldest signal arrays in the city: only one through signal, and 8-inch reds (99% were replaced with 12-inch reds about 10-15 years ago). The oldest is this intersection a few miles away, with all 8-inch signals, which are all very faded, and text-only ped signals (probably the last in the city).

traffic light guy

More older signals in Philly:

Note the older Eagle Signal mounted on the right:
Eagle Siemens with an Eagle Flatback by thesignalman, on Flickr

A 12" Marbelite:
12" Marbelite signal by thesignalman, on Flickr

Alusig with a slightly older Flatback:
Eagle Alusig with an Eagle Flatback by thesignalman, on Flickr

Eagle Signal that have a louvered backplate:
Eagle Signal with louvered backplate by thesignalman, on Flickr

Older Eagle (With louvered backplate) by thesignalman, on Flickr

traffic light guy

Eagle cluster hanging in Norristown:
Eagle Flatback 4-section hanging by thesignalman, on Flickr

Plus some incandescent eagleluxes:
Incandescent eaglelux traffic signals by thesignalman, on Flickr

And a decommissioned Eagle signal:
Decommissioned 8-inch Eagle flatback signal by thesignalman, on Flickr

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: jakeroot on October 07, 2019, 12:14:33 AM

More round-door beacons: US 12 near Aberdeen.  Then a few intersections west: not a green T but a flashing yellow T?

At an antique store in Aberdeen I found an eight inch single green light for sale for $52.  Didn't buy it because I didn't know where I would put it, but I've never seen working signal equipment for such a low price before.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.