Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EpicRoadways

This has probably already been addressed somewhere on the forum, but what is the point of these concrete overhead sign "poles" that have been popping up along urban stretches of freeway in Wisconsin for the past 10 years or so? Is there enough of a (or any?) design benefit to justify the additional cost as opposed to a traditional overhead sign assembly, or is it solely for aesthetic reasons?

SSOWorld

Quote from: EpicRoadways on September 25, 2020, 11:13:04 PM
This has probably already been addressed somewhere on the forum, but what is the point of these concrete overhead sign "poles" that have been popping up along urban stretches of freeway in Wisconsin for the past 10 years or so? Is there enough of a (or any?) design benefit to justify the additional cost as opposed to a traditional overhead sign assembly, or is it solely for aesthetic reasons?
There was a "community sensitive" design initiative during Jim Doyle's time as governor.  All projects had to be designed to "blend in".  It was scrapped in 2010.   The I-39/90 widening is the last to require it.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

FightingIrish

These are all over the rebuilt interchanges and freeways in the Milwaukee area, and on I-41/94 south to Illinois. I think they look good, and not boring. Seeing how much work they put into all that reconstruction, why not make it look nice?

SEWIGuy

Because there is a segment of our society that believes any money spent on aesthetics is a waste. 

zzcarp

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 27, 2020, 08:51:50 AM
Because there is a segment of our society that believes any money spent on aesthetics is a waste.

I guess I represent that segment. I think these brick/concrete sign supports look cool and unique. I also think plain Jane steel monotubes look just fine as well.
So many miles and so many roads

dvferyance

Quote from: FightingIrish on September 26, 2020, 11:18:04 PM
These are all over the rebuilt interchanges and freeways in the Milwaukee area, and on I-41/94 south to Illinois. I think they look good, and not boring. Seeing how much work they put into all that reconstruction, why not make it look nice?
I think I read somewhere that the 39/90 project will be the last one to feature that.

dvferyance

So why does every 4 way stop intersection have to be a roundabout?

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dvferyance on September 28, 2020, 11:05:54 PM

They don't.

Why are you so triggered by roundabouts?

thspfc

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 29, 2020, 08:49:05 AM
Quote from: dvferyance on September 28, 2020, 11:05:54 PM

They don't.

Why are you so triggered by roundabouts?
Because he wants back his good old days of roads when there wasn't so much knowledge ( :rolleyes:) and creativity ( :angry:) around managing and improving traffic flow.

Big John

triplemultiplex

I guess "Southbridge Road" will finally live up to its name.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SEWIGuy

They should apply a state route number from I-41, across the south crossing, then down Monroe Road (County GV) to WI-172.

mgk920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 30, 2020, 05:33:57 PM
They should apply a state route number from I-41, across the south crossing, then down Monroe Road (County GV) to WI-172.

Is 'WI 341' available for reassignment yet?

Mike

thspfc

Quote from: mgk920 on October 01, 2020, 05:46:27 AM

Mike
It hasn't been long since it was decomissioned. Honestly every time I drive through the Stadium Interchange I think of it as the junction between I-94 and WI-341, only to realize that 341 no longer exists.

SEWIGuy

Mike

Radical idea:

**Reroute WI-57 off Green Bay city streets.  Have it follow I-43, then WI-172 to the Monroe Road exit, crossing the south crossing, ending at I-41.
**WI-32 will still exist on the current duplex with WI-57.
**Reroute WI-32 over WI-57's current routing to I-43.
**Decommission WI-57 in the Milwaukee area
**Reroute WI-42 along what is now WI-32 ending at its current intersection with WI-57
**Extend US-151 along WI-42 from Manitowoc to Door County
**Decommission WI-42 between Howards Grove and Manitowoc
**Decommission WI-32 between Howards Grove and I-43 near Cedar Grove.

The Ghostbuster

What would be the exact route of SEWIGuy's proposed state highway addition? Not being from Green Bay, I have no idea where the "South Crossing" is? Also, such a proposal would require an existing state highway segment to be decommissioned, since the state can only have a fixed amount of state highway mileage. That is why US 18 through Waukesha and STH 74 were decommissioned in order for STH 318 and the US 18 portion of the West Waukesha Bypass to come into existence.

dvferyance

Quote from: thspfc on October 01, 2020, 11:39:02 AM

Mike
It hasn't been long since it was decomissioned. Honestly every time I drive through the Stadium Interchange I think of it as the junction between I-94 and WI-341, only to realize that 341 no longer exists.
It was never signed so I never thought it ever existed at all.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 01, 2020, 05:04:44 PM
What would be the exact route of SEWIGuy's proposed state highway addition? Not being from Green Bay, I have no idea where the "South Crossing" is? Also, such a proposal would require an existing state highway segment to be decommissioned, since the state can only have a fixed amount of state highway mileage. That is why US 18 through Waukesha and STH 74 were decommissioned in order for STH 318 and the US 18 portion of the West Waukesha Bypass to come into existence.

Here is the map.  They are looking at the south corridor option.  What I am suggesting is that from I-41 (marked as US-41) that a state highway should go east, over the Fox River, and then over County GV to end at WI-172 (far upper right corner).  County GV (also known at Monroe Road) is a nice four lane road that currently dead ends at County X (Heritage Road)

EDIT:  And if you need to subtract state highway mileage from the system to accomplish this, you have numerous options to get state highways off Green Bay city streets.  In reality, they are likely just going to give the short bridge section between I-41 and WI-32/57 a number.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dvferyance on October 01, 2020, 08:30:31 PM

Mike

I believe there was one reassurance marker NB between National Ave and I-94.

thspfc

Quote from: SEWIGuy on October 02, 2020, 09:01:44 AM

Mike

I thought for some reason that it was signed on I-94, but a check of old GSV says otherwise.

mgk920

Quote from: thspfc on October 02, 2020, 11:09:20 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on October 02, 2020, 09:01:44 AM

Mike

I thought for some reason that it was signed on I-94, but a check of old GSV says otherwise.

There was also a 'pathfinder' sign for WI 341 on one of the parking lot access roads east of Miller Park in the parking lots, it was visible from a pedestrian stadium access bridge over that access road and the Miller Park Way freeway.

Mike

triplemultiplex

If one wanted to make this new southern crossing a state highway from I-41 to WI 172, and behold to WisDOT's arbitrary and silly county-based mileage 'cap', I'd decom US 141 through Green Bay.  Truncate that sucker up to Abrams.
and/or
Pull WI 54 off of Mason Street and route over 172 and I-43 to that northeast system interchange.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

skluth

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 03, 2020, 12:19:41 AM
If one wanted to make this new southern crossing a state highway from I-41 to WI 172, and behold to WisDOT's arbitrary and silly county-based mileage 'cap', I'd decom US 141 through Green Bay.  Truncate that sucker up to Abrams.
and/or
Pull WI 54 off of Mason Street and route over 172 and I-43 to that northeast system interchange.

At first I thought you meant to Abrams in the city, near Kroll's. LOL. But I agree. There's no point to US 141 south of Abrams. It follows a convoluted route through Green Bay's West Side (Velp, Mather, Broadway, Dousman) that's mostly used by locals. I think the only reason Green Bay keeps it is the mileage cap, so they can get a new highway should one be needed. They could also route WI 57, WI 32, and especially WI 29 around the Green Bay "Beltway" for more original mileage.

Proposals for a crossing between DePere and Wrightstown go back to when I was a kid in the 60's. I've seen ideas for both Scheuring/ Heritage and Red Maple/ Rockland corridors. The Scheuring/ Heritage Road corridor is probably out considering all the development around Scheuring Road. If I still lived there, I'd include it in the current "Road Problems your city or state will never likely fix" thread in General Highway Talk. It's been arguably needed since my youth to take non-local traffic out of the Claude Allouez Bridge area.

thspfc

Quote from: skluth on October 04, 2020, 03:00:14 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 03, 2020, 12:19:41 AM
and/or

At first I thought you meant to Abrams in the city, near Kroll's. LOL. But I agree. There's no point to US 141 south of Abrams. It follows a convoluted route through Green Bay's West Side (Velp, Mather, Broadway, Dousman) that's mostly used by locals. I think the only reason Green Bay keeps it is the mileage cap, so they can get a new highway should one be needed. They could also route WI 57, WI 32, and especially WI 29 around the Green Bay "Beltway" for more original mileage.

Proposals for a crossing between DePere and Wrightstown go back to when I was a kid in the 60's. I've seen ideas for both Scheuring/ Heritage and Red Maple/ Rockland corridors. The Scheuring/ Heritage Road corridor is probably out considering all the development around Scheuring Road. If I still lived there, I'd include it in the current "Road Problems your city or state will never likely fix" thread in General Highway Talk. It's been arguably needed since my youth to take non-local traffic out of the Claude Allouez Bridge area.
If every route currently "inside the beltway" in Green Bay is rerouted (and US-141 removed and truncated), that would create Wisconsin's first quintuplex. I-41, US-41, WI-29, WI-32, and WI-54 would all be on the same pavement between Mason St and Shawano Ave.

peterj920

Wis 127 and Wis 134 are the most pointless state highways. How are they both state highways since they don't really go anywhere?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.