News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkman417

webny99

Should be a green Thanksgiving despite the big snow on Veteran's Day. If so, it'll be the first snow-free Thanksgiving in quite a while.

Eth

Had some rain roll through this morning, now 63 degrees at 9:30 AM with decreasing clouds and a forecast high of 71. It'll be a little cooler for Thanksgiving itself, but I don't think anyone here will complain about sunshine and low 60s.

US 89

I’m in Salt Lake for Thanksgiving, where a winter storm warning is in effect as a huge snowstorm looks to impact the area over the next few days. Valley floors should receive 5-10 inches, but amounts of up to 16 inches are possible on benches and towards the Idaho border region. Mountains will generally receive 1-3 feet, but some locations could see up to 4 feet of snow.

jakeroot

Quote from: US 89 on November 27, 2019, 10:03:36 AM
...amounts of up to 16 inches are possible on benches and towards the Idaho border region. Mountains will generally receive 1-3 feet, but some locations could see up to 4 feet of snow.

Benches, eh? That's not a term I've heard before. In the Seattle area, we prefer "foothills". Obviously there is regional variation; I quite like "benches"!

At first, I thought you meant actual benches, since they have open air below them and collect snow earlier on and don't melt as quickly.

wolfiefrick

Quote from: ozarkman417 on November 26, 2019, 07:48:14 PM
Tornado watch until 10PM here

Until midnight last night for us here in St. Louis. We're still getting pretty gusty winds today but they were real bad last night.

US 89

Quote from: jakeroot on November 27, 2019, 01:15:32 PM
Quote from: US 89 on November 27, 2019, 10:03:36 AM
...amounts of up to 16 inches are possible on benches and towards the Idaho border region. Mountains will generally receive 1-3 feet, but some locations could see up to 4 feet of snow.

Benches, eh? That's not a term I've heard before. In the Seattle area, we prefer "foothills". Obviously there is regional variation; I quite like "benches"!

At first, I thought you meant actual benches, since they have open air below them and collect snow earlier on and don't melt as quickly.

Heh. I forget that isn't a common term elsewhere just because I've grown up with it. It's common usage here, to the degree that all the news stations and the NWS use it in their forecasts.

At any rate, nothing that fell yesterday stuck, but the skies opened up last night. We've had 11 inches since last night and it's still dumping, with even more snow expected through Saturday. Might mix in with some rain tonight, which would make the roads an icy hell tomorrow when it gets colder.

Max Rockatansky

About 50F today in Fresno with on/off rain.  The Sierras to the east are getting blasted with snow, supposedly the wet weather will be around at least 10 days. 

ET21

For once, I'll actually see some sun and seasonable temperatures this week. November was just depressing
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

cl94

The Albany, NY area, as well as western Massachusetts and Northern New England, are digging out from a storm that hit Sunday-Tuesday of this week. Albany got 22.6 inches, the 4th-largest December storm accumulation on record and 8th-largest storm period. Where I am, we got about that. It's possible that this snow will remain through the spring in parts of the region.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

webny99

Yikes. Must've significantly picked up in intensity as it moved east. We only got about six inches, the sun is shining, and the roads are completely clear. It's the exact inverse of a typical early-season storm: usually it's Buffalo that gets hammered, while eastern parts of the state get off easy. I don't think a state of emergency would have been declared for 22 inches in WNY!  ;-)

Max Rockatansky

The temperature was a comfortable 48F this morning in Fresno.  The storms from last week rolled out and the first Tule Fog of the season is still present as of my writing this post.  The sight lines were down to about 300 feet in places. 

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on December 03, 2019, 03:21:21 PM
Yikes. Must've significantly picked up in intensity as it moved east. We only got about six inches, the sun is shining, and the roads are completely clear. It's the exact inverse of a typical early-season storm: usually it's Buffalo that gets hammered, while eastern parts of the state get off easy. I don't think a state of emergency would have been declared for 22 inches in WNY!  ;-)

In many ways, it's the inverse of just about every winter storm.  Even the Adirondacks got less snow than the Capital District.  About the only thing about it that was typical is that the hilltowns got more snow than the valley, and even that is to a lesser degree than normal.

Increasing intensity as one drove east is right.  Rochester-Utica was fine when I was driving back to my apartment.  Utica-Amsterdam was harder.  Amsterdam east saw conditions deteriorate and it was truly some of the scariest winter driving I've ever done.  Got stuck several times on the town roads.  It was a far cry from the foot over 48 hours that had been forecast - we got close to double that!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

Glorious afternoon. 70° and sunny as I type this. Plus we got to see a Falcon 9 launch!

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

thspfc

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 05, 2019, 01:49:59 PM
Glorious afternoon. 70° and sunny as I type this. Plus we got to see a Falcon 9 launch!

I'm guessing you're in Florida? Not DC, that's for sure.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

wolfiefrick

29° F and partly cloudy here in St. Louis just after midnight. Today was rainy and dark; high in the mid 50s. Tomorrow should be 36° and partly sunny.

ozarkman417

Potential for Ice here the next two days. Most of my semester finals are on monday, so if school gets cancelled that day, the rest of the week will be quite crammed. Right now: Overcast and 30 degrees.

thspfc

We are seeing the sun for the first time in four days.  :clap:

Max Rockatansky

I'm in Los Angeles today, it's about 60F out and sunny but there are 20-30 MPH winds coming off the cold front over the mountains. 

Mark68

Mostly sunny and 44. It was in the single digits last night.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 15, 2019, 02:58:33 PM
I'm in Los Angeles today, it's about 60F out and sunny but there are 20-30 MPH winds coming off the cold front over the mountains.

I'm in Orange County right now. The Santa Ana winds have finally started to die down. It's been tremendously cold the last couple days with the wind chill.

Mark68

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

7/8

Today was a cold day (exactly what I wanted for my last day of field work :no:)! It was around -7C to -10C (19F to 14F) when I was outside, but now it's dipped down to -17C (1F). Monday-Wednesday are forecast to be sunny with warmer highs of around 2C to 4C (36F to 39F). I'm hopeful that the snow will still stick around for Christmas.

Bruce

Rain, rain, and more rain. It's the second rainiest day in Seattle history. 2.48 inches before noon.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.