News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

US 31 freeway gap in Michigan finally will be filled (well 1 of them anyway)

Started by Terry Shea, March 29, 2009, 07:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

Last I checked US 31 was completed years ago.  So will the old section become US 31 SPUR?

Terry Shea

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on October 06, 2022, 10:12:30 PM
Last I checked US 31 was completed years ago.  So will the old section become US 31 SPUR?
Completion of the freeway near Benton Harbor, which should have been done decades ago.  They left a 2-and-a-half-mile gap and rerouted the connection to I-94 because they didn't want to disturb some butterflies.
http://www.michiganhighways.org/indepth/US-31Freeway_Berrien.html

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Terry Shea on October 06, 2022, 10:43:13 PM
Completion of the freeway near Benton Harbor, which should have been done decades ago.  They left a 2-and-a-half-mile gap and rerouted the connection to I-94 because they didn't want to disturb some butterflies.
I know that.  It is unbelievable that so much money is spent of just 2 miles of non controlled access highway that translated into an additional nine miles.

Terry Shea

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on October 06, 2022, 10:47:47 PM
I know that.  It is unbelievable that so much money is spent of just 2 miles of non controlled access highway that translated into an additional nine miles.
What are you talking about?  Please start making some sense.

Flint1979

Huh?

silverback1065

it's not limited access due to the 94 interchange. but it's good enough because it is unlikely to need a signal in the future. not sure why they didn't just make the main 31 movements limited access. the SB 31 ramp could have been a flyover but i am sure cost is why we got this. picture how 69 swings on and off it's alignment to join i-24 in kentucky. (yes the full interchange is limited access in that example, i am just referring to how the main movements avoid the minor ones)

sprjus4

^ I'm still trying to understand the 9 additional miles part claimed by Avalanchez71.

roadman65

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 07, 2022, 01:09:35 PM
^ I'm still trying to understand the 9 additional miles part claimed by Avalanchez71.

I'm glad you are asking because I thought I was going crazy there.  I know that the revised connection to I-94  is sooner than later to it.  I too was wondering how seven miles got added to it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

^ Lane miles, perhaps? 2 centerline miles x 4 lanes + 1 mile of ramps = 9 lane miles
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ChimpOnTheWheel

https://wwmt.com/news/local/benton-township-us-31-i-94-construction-michigan-department-transportation-west-berrien-county

U.S. 31 opening this weekend, creating a continuous freeway from U.S. 30 in Plymouth, Indiana, to I-94 in Benton Harbor, Michigan.

While not particularly helpful for my trips between Kalamazoo and Chicagoland, very nice to see the construction wrap up!
Just a casual.

ChimpOnTheWheel

Drove by Benton Harbor yesterday. Signs referencing US-31 at the Napier Avenue exit (Exit 30) on I-94 have been replaced.
Just a casual.

The Ghostbuster

Google Maps has not been updated. Someone keep us posted on when it is updated. Hopefully, it won't be too long (although I wouldn't hold my breath).

texaskdog

I love reading 13 year old posts.  I wonder what the oldest post on here is.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

bulldog1979

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 07, 2022, 07:31:34 PM
Google Maps has not been updated. Someone keep us posted on when it is updated. Hopefully, it won't be too long (although I wouldn't hold my breath).

I wonder how long until MDOT's online mapping tools show the new routing.

roadman65

That means waze will show you being off road while driving the new extension. :sombrero:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

wanderer2575

Quote from: bulldog1979 on November 08, 2022, 06:46:24 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 07, 2022, 07:31:34 PM

I wonder how long until MDOT's online mapping tools show the new routing.

It is showing on the mi.gov/drive interactive traffic map.  That also still shows the former Napier Avenue routing as a state trunkline, so I assume it has not been turned back.

silverback1065

Terry Shea

Quote from: texaskdog on November 08, 2022, 02:26:07 AM
I love reading 13 year old posts.  I wonder what the oldest post on here is.
It's because moderators merged 2 posts.

NE2

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 09, 2022, 02:37:45 PM
It is showing on the mi.gov/drive interactive traffic map.  That also still shows the former Napier Avenue routing as a state trunkline, so I assume it has not been turned back.

I'm pretty sure that's an ESRI basemap, and the colors have nothing to do with state maintenance.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bulldog1979

Quote from: NE2 on November 09, 2022, 06:15:42 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 09, 2022, 02:37:45 PM

I'm pretty sure that's an ESRI basemap, and the colors have nothing to do with state maintenance.

Agreed. Red Arrow Highway on the northern edge of that map used to be US 12, but it was turned back to local control decades ago when I-94 was built there.

It may be a while before Napier Avenue is turned over to local control. MDOT can't force the Berrien County Road Commission to re-assume jurisdiction once the freeway opens, and MDOT will probably have to repave or rebuilt the roadway segment before BCRC agrees to take the road back if recent decommissioning/transfers are any guide. That section of Napier Avenue will end up internally designated "Old US 31" and marked as an unsigned state trunkline on the next edition of the Truck Operator's Map.

The Ghostbuster

Fritzowl is probably busy planning a new Interstate connection between North America and Europe or Asia; or an Interstate connecting South America with Africa. Maybe he should go smaller, and build an Interstate connecting Australia with New Zealand.

Flint1979

midwesternroadguy

I suggest you both take some courses in biology.  The butterflies here are likely also an indicator of unique habitat that houses other rare species. 

The rate of species decline is appalling.  Even the American robin's population is declining rapidly.  Species are interdependent.  There will be a point where once we lose enough species, the jenga tower that is our planet will collapse.  Heaven forbid that a invasive/alien pathogen/predator like the varroa mite or murder hornet succeeds in killing off crop-pollinating honeybees. 

Rerouting a road to preserve a pollinator species seems like a small price to pay. MDOT did the right thing. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.