News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-69 Ohio River Bridge

Started by truejd, August 05, 2010, 10:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

Speaking of those US Route 41 bridges, the report on those spans can be found at https://i69ohiorivercrossing.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/59_Appendix_O-1_US_41_Bridges_Engineering_and_Evaluation_Report.pdf

Interesting tidbit: "The Engineering Report concludes that extending the life of the existing northbound and/or southbound US 41 bridge to 2060 is feasible. The southbound bridge will be 95 years old and the northbound bridge will be 128 years old at that time, but no fatal flaw is identified that would prevent this kind of life extension, assuming the necessary investments in regular maintenance and periodic major rehabilitation are made."

Relating to the eyebars: "The risk of fracture is mitigated somewhat by the parallel nature of the members: eyebars occur in pairs, or in some members as 4 or 6 bars. With regard to the pins, stress demand appears to be fairly low. Continued vigilance in bi-annual fracture critical inspection is assumed. An in-depth inspection of pins, including non-destructive testing, should be performed to confirm no proactive intervention is warranted now or at 2025. This study includes approximately $1M cost (2017 dollars) in anticipation of the need for isolated response to pin and eyebar concerns over the 2025 to 2060-time horizon (see 2045 Major Steel Repair). "

andy

A virtual public meeting was held April 1, 2021. Details at https://i69ohiorivercrossing.com/virtual-public-meeting/
Comments are being accepted until April 16, 2021.

Major take aways;
US 41 will not be tolled, partly to minimize financial impact on Henderson businesses.
The river bridges will be narrowed, eliminating the potential to expand to six lanes.
The Indiana ramps to US 41 have been simplified.
The Kentucky ramps have been modified.
Two phase construction. Starting in 2022, south from US60, through 2025. Then north of US60 from 2025 through 2031.
The timeline is based on funding and may be accelerated if  additional funding is identified.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: andy on April 02, 2021, 12:34:50 AM
A virtual public meeting was held April 1, 2021. Details at https://i69ohiorivercrossing.com/virtual-public-meeting/

Major take aways;
US 41 will not be tolled, partly to minimize financial impact on Henderson businesses.
The river bridges will be narrowed, eliminating the potential to expand to six lanes.
Two phase construction. Starting in 2022, south from US60, through 2025. Then north of US60 from 2025 through 2031.
The timeline is based on funding and may be accelerated if  additional funding is identified.
I feel that it's a major error to narrow the river bridges.  The cost to make the road wide enough for three lanes is by far the cheapest  during the initial construction.  US41 has a lot of traffic currently, and when I-69 is completed to Indianapolis, that will increase the traffic over the bridge, even though they will have a two lane free option.

seicer

Are there considerations for pedestrians and cyclists on the new bridge? That would be a major omission considering the old bridge that will remain in service cannot handle those at all.

Revive 755

The I-69/Veteran's Memorial Pakrway interchange design still seems bad - it would cost that much more to have a three level free-flow design, rather than having a stoplight that will probably become a high accident location?

mvak36

Quote from: Life in Paradise on April 02, 2021, 12:07:32 PM

Major take aways;
I feel that it's a major error to narrow the river bridges.  The cost to make the road wide enough for three lanes is by far the cheapest  during the initial construction.  US41 has a lot of traffic currently, and when I-69 is completed to Indianapolis, that will increase the traffic over the bridge, even though they will have a two lane free option.
They're tolling that bridge anyways so I don't know why they can't just build it so it can be expanded in the future if needed. I agree with you that it would be cheaper to do it now.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

edwaleni

Quote from: seicer on March 15, 2021, 01:41:54 PM
Speaking of those US Route 41 bridges, the report on those spans can be found at https://i69ohiorivercrossing.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/59_Appendix_O-1_US_41_Bridges_Engineering_and_Evaluation_Report.pdf

Interesting tidbit: "The Engineering Report concludes that extending the life of the existing northbound and/or southbound US 41 bridge to 2060 is feasible. The southbound bridge will be 95 years old and the northbound bridge will be 128 years old at that time, but no fatal flaw is identified that would prevent this kind of life extension, assuming the necessary investments in regular maintenance and periodic major rehabilitation are made."

Relating to the eyebars: "The risk of fracture is mitigated somewhat by the parallel nature of the members: eyebars occur in pairs, or in some members as 4 or 6 bars. With regard to the pins, stress demand appears to be fairly low. Continued vigilance in bi-annual fracture critical inspection is assumed. An in-depth inspection of pins, including non-destructive testing, should be performed to confirm no proactive intervention is warranted now or at 2025. This study includes approximately $1M cost (2017 dollars) in anticipation of the need for isolated response to pin and eyebar concerns over the 2025 to 2060-time horizon (see 2045 Major Steel Repair). "

That engineering and evaluation is too high level.

Nothing was mentioned about seismic resiliency. As noted in a previous post, those older bridges rely very heavily on plate bolting to the supporting piers, bolting easily stripped by sway vacilation from a sustained tremblor above 6.0.

The Chester Bridge used a similar design and it toppled over in 1940 due to a derecho that the upper span could not absorb and stripped out the plate bolts. An seismic event would simply bring the sway from underneath instead of over the top.

Same result.

seicer

Not entirely. A determination was made to keep the existing bridge in service because it's still in good, serviceable condition and that it can withstand the low impact of the more routine earthquakes that happen. Of course standards have changed and evolved over time but that doesn't mean that we need to completely rebuild our infrastructure from scratch to accommodate an issue that may not occur for centuries. As it is, there is no funding to replace any of the bridges for US Route 41, and there isn't the political will to route all through traffic over a tolled crossing.

edwaleni

Quote from: seicer on April 04, 2021, 08:46:43 PM
Not entirely. A determination was made to keep the existing bridge in service because it's still in good, serviceable condition and that it can withstand the low impact of the more routine earthquakes that happen. Of course standards have changed and evolved over time but that doesn't mean that we need to completely rebuild our infrastructure from scratch to accommodate an issue that may not occur for centuries. As it is, there is no funding to replace any of the bridges for US Route 41, and there isn't the political will to route all through traffic over a tolled crossing.

I am not saying the bridges are 100% obsolete, I am pointing out that the long term engineering summary made no mention of the seismic risks of keeping any of the older bridges.

As long as the budget can keep them maintained, keep them going.

The Ghostbuster

They should leave the existing US 41 bridge as it presently is, or at least add breakdown shoulders on one or both sides of the two traffic lanes. Besides, once the new bridge opens, the existing bridge will likely see less traffic, and that would likely extend the existing bridge's life-span.

WKDAVE

Quote from: Life in Paradise on April 02, 2021, 12:07:32 PM

Major take aways;

No reason to have a 6-lane bridge, so it is smart to save the money. Current traffic counts are 40,000 on Twin Bridges. None of us will ever see I-69 from Mexico to Canada as Arkansas and Mississippi aren't close to acting. Even Tennessee going south of Dyersburg is questionable for next 10 years, at least. Even if completed to Memphis it would be quicker to use existing "free" route through Illinois to I-70 to get to Indy from there. I think Ohio River crossings (41 and 69) will be in 50,000 range in 25 years. 8 lanes of bridges are not needed for that traffic load (6-lane I-64 Minton Bridge in Louisville carries 80,000+).

sprjus4

Quote from: WKDAVE on April 06, 2021, 09:54:49 AM
Even if completed to Memphis it would be quicker to use existing "free" route through Illinois to I-70 to get to Indy from there.
You sure about that? I-70 -> I-57 -> I-55 is currently 464 miles. The current IN-37 -> I-69 -> US-51 routing is 455 miles. That's 9 miles shorter, plus doesn't involve major heavy traffic corridors with large truck percentages. I would easily take a completed I-69 routing over I-70, I-57, and I-55, even if it was 10 or 15 miles longer, which in this case it is not.

The only reason the I-69 routing is not the quickest today is because of the various non-freeway segments, slower speed zones, and traffic signals. Once those are all eliminated, and it is a uniform 70 mph, it will be the faster and more direct route.

I-55

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 06, 2021, 10:28:14 AM
Even if completed to Memphis it would be quicker to use existing "free" route through Illinois to I-70 to get to Indy from there.
You sure about that? I-70 -> I-57 -> I-55 is currently 464 miles. The current IN-37 -> I-69 -> US-51 routing is 455 miles. That's 9 miles shorter, plus doesn't involve major heavy traffic corridors with large truck percentages. I would easily take a completed I-69 routing over I-70, I-57, and I-55, even if it was 10 or 15 miles longer, which in this case it is not.

The only reason the I-69 routing is not the quickest today is because of the various non-freeway segments, slower speed zones, and traffic signals. Once those are all eliminated, and it is a uniform 70 mph, it will be the faster and more direct route.

Evansville and Bloomington are 60 and 55 mph respectively and have already been upgraded to interstate standards. The only slower zones on the Illinois route are Effingham and Mt Vernon at 65 mph, but this is countered by the 65+ miles of 75 mph in Arkansas. And knowing INDOT, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a 65 zone near Indy on I-69.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

WKDAVE

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 06, 2021, 10:28:14 AM

Basically it will be the same time (10 minutes on a 6.5 hours trip) but to save that 10 minutes will cost you $2-4 in a car and $11-$13 in a semi because they have suggested that pricing will be similar to Louisville tolls. Since there will be considerably less traffic on this toll bridge I wouldn't be surprised to see higher tolls than Louisville.

ilpt4u

And if your destination is southwest of Memphis, like Little Rock or Dallas, the extended I-57 will make the I-70/57 route more attractive, as it will bypass Memphis completely

If your destination is south of Memphis, the I-69 route will be competitive with the 70/57/55 route

ITB

Came across this yesterday. In an April 1, 2021, Notice to Industry, KYTC reveals that it intends to select a Design Build contractor for Section 1 of the I-69 Ohio River Crossing project by the end of 2021. This is a major step in moving the ORX project forward. If the awarding of the contract proceeds as planned, we can expect to see construction of Section 1 commence in the spring of 2022.

The project comprises the upgrading 2.4 miles of existing US 41 from KY 425 to the US 41 bridge over CSX railroad bridge north of KY 351, as well as the construction of a 2.9-mile new alignment section of I-69 from the CSX railroad bridge north of KY351 to the intersection with US 60 near Bethel Tillman Road and the US 60 bridge over CSX. New interchanges will be constructed at US 41 and US 60. In total, nine new bridges will be built, and seven removed.

abqtraveler

Quote from: ITB on June 07, 2021, 11:35:34 PM

Came across this yesterday. In an April 1, 2021, Notice to Industry, KYTC reveals that it intends to select a Design Build contractor for Section 1 of the I-69 Ohio River Crossing project by the end of 2021. This is a major step in moving the ORX project forward. If the awarding of the contract proceeds as planned, we can expect to see construction of Section 1 commence in the spring of 2022.

The project comprises the upgrading 2.4 miles of existing US 41 from KY 425 to the US 41 bridge over CSX railroad bridge north of KY 351, as well as the construction of a 2.9-mile new alignment section of I-69 from the CSX railroad bridge north of KY351 to the intersection with US 60 near Bethel Tillman Road and the US 60 bridge over CSX. New interchanges will be constructed at US 41 and US 60. In total, nine new bridges will be built, and seven removed.

That means they're getting close to releasing the FEIS and ROD for the ORX.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Avalanchez71

Does KY float bonds for road construction?

abqtraveler

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 08, 2021, 09:09:36 AM

Not that I know of. I thought KY was a pay-as-you go state.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

edwaleni

With the HDB out of service in Memphis, and a noticeable increase of truck traffic on US-51 to bypass it, it will be interesting to see if this bridge takes on a new level of importance.

(Yes, I know many of the trucks are crossing at I-155 today)

In the short term, probably not, but it might prompt more concerted reviews of regional logistics stability.

It would be interesting to see an AADT "hot map" which shows the changes in traffic flows before and after the HDB was closed and see how much was diverted via the different routes, specifically what would be I-69.

Rick Powell

Quote from: edwaleni on June 08, 2021, 10:00:54 AM
It would be interesting to see an AADT "hot map" which shows the changes in traffic flows before and after the HDB was closed and see how much was diverted via the different routes, specifically what would be I-69.
I'm sure INRIX would be happy to run a detailed multi-state report on truck and auto O&D and routing before and after, for a price. The good thing about the new data companies is that they are constantly collecting data and not throwing any of it away, so easy to look back at before and after snapshots in time.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: abqtraveler on June 08, 2021, 09:12:25 AM

KY floated bonds for the Kentucky Turnpike, and later the Parkway system, I think they did it also for the Louisville Bridges.  Once the bonds are paid off, the tolls are removed.

edwaleni

Quote from: Rick Powell on June 08, 2021, 11:51:49 AM
Quote from: edwaleni on June 08, 2021, 10:00:54 AM
I'm sure INRIX would be happy to run a detailed multi-state report on truck and auto O&D and routing before and after, for a price. The good thing about the new data companies is that they are constantly collecting data and not throwing any of it away, so easy to look back at before and after snapshots in time.

INRIX collects its details by purchasing large amounts of data from Google (Android) and Apple (iPhone) along with much of the data provided by logistics firms on their own fleet. Most of the data is anonymized so people can't track a particular person or industry competitor.

A side business of INRIX is the data they sell to insurance companies, billboard companies to optimize their businesses.

A benefit of INRIX is helping DOT's find hot spots, choke points, seasonal, event driven or driving trends nationally.

Rick Powell

Quote from: edwaleni on June 08, 2021, 01:46:11 PM
A benefit of INRIX is helping DOT's find hot spots, choke points, seasonal, event driven or driving trends nationally.

I remember for traffic pattern studies back in the old days, we'd have people stop traffic and hand people postcards that they could fill out to find out where they were coming from and where they were going, and we'd get a 10% or less hit rate and who knows how accurately they were filled out voluntarily. We also tried to do it by license plate and send people a questionnaire. I remember getting an irate call from a dad with a few kids in college, whose license plate showed up at a location when they should have been in class according to the survey he'd been mailed. Those type surveys might've caused a few incidences of marital discomfort, too. 

abqtraveler

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on June 08, 2021, 12:04:59 PM
Quote from: abqtraveler on June 08, 2021, 09:12:25 AM

KY floated bonds for the Kentucky Turnpike, and later the Parkway system, I think they did it also for the Louisville Bridges.  Once the bonds are paid off, the tolls are removed.

KY had to enact legislation to allow the state to float bonds for the Louisville Bridges. If they do float bonds for road construction, I think it requires special legislation, and that legislation is only enacted on a project-by-project basis--not a blanket authorization to float bonds for any and all road construction like some other states (thinking...Connecticut) allow.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.