News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob7374

Quote from: LM117 on February 07, 2019, 10:47:00 AM
The new Bonner Bridge could be getting a new name.

https://www.wral.com/new-outer-banks-bridge-could-get-a-new-name-as-well/18174486/
Whatever they will name it, NCDOT will be having a Community Day to celebrate the completion of the bridge this Saturday (a more formal dedication event will be held later):
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-02-07-bonner-bridge-reopening.aspx

LM117

NCDOT is holding a public meeting on February 26 at the Maxwell Center in Goldsboro to discuss widening US-13 (N. Berkeley Boulevard) to a 4-lane median-divided road between New Hope Road and Saulston Road.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-02-13-wayne-county-open-house.aspx

As someone that grew up there and commuted that stretch everyday, these improvements are much welcome.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on February 13, 2019, 01:40:26 PM
NCDOT is holding a public meeting on February 26 at the Maxwell Center in Goldsboro to discuss widening US-13 (N. Berkeley Boulevard) to a 4-lane median-divided road between New Hope Road and Saulston Road.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-02-13-wayne-county-open-house.aspx

As someone that grew up there and commuted that stretch everyday, these improvements are much welcome.
Smart that the recently built US 70 Bypass / US 13 interchange was designed with US 13 having four lanes as opposed to 2 lanes, because now they won't have to widen the overpass. Looking ahead into the future can really pay off on new construction.

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on February 13, 2019, 01:40:26 PM

A little more info here, as well as other upcoming projects in the area:

https://www.newsargus.com/news/public-meeting-planned-on-berkeley-blvd-widening/article_462a2624-3052-11e9-81b7-af683280e9e6.html

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on November 09, 2018, 02:37:47 PM
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-11-09-this-week-ncdot.aspx

QuoteU.S. 421 Reopening

The Department of Transportation has reopened a key route to and from the Wilmington area following severe damage from Hurricane Florence. U.S. 421, which runs parallel to Interstate 40 in southeastern North Carolina, received the most damage of any state road when the storm hit in September.

Knowing the critical need to quickly restore traffic on this route, NCDOT installed a temporary bridge on one side of the road, with a single lane in each direction. This allows drivers to get through the area while planning and construction of two new bridges at the site takes place.

Construction of the new permanent bridges has begun. Completion set for spring 2020.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-02-15-new-hanover-permanent-bridges.aspx

CanesFan27

sprjus4

Quote from: CanesFan27 on February 17, 2019, 08:45:47 PM
Photos from the visit to the Bonner Bridge Community Day -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/adamontheroad/albums/72157678754899038
Nice, that thing sure is impressive! I need to get down there soon after it opens. When exactly is it planned to open?

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 17, 2019, 08:52:48 PM
Nice, that thing sure is impressive! I need to get down there soon after it opens. When exactly is it planned to open?

"There's now an official opening date for the new span of roadway from north to south over the Oregon Inlet.  The ribbon cutting for the new 2.8 mile long, 90-foot high Bonner Bridge in Dare County will be April 2."

https://www.wavy.com/news/north-carolina/new-bonner-bridge-s-official-opening-date-set-for-april/1788552957
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on February 17, 2019, 09:34:25 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on February 17, 2019, 08:52:48 PM

"There's now an official opening date for the new span of roadway from north to south over the Oregon Inlet.  The ribbon cutting for the new 2.8 mile long, 90-foot high Bonner Bridge in Dare County will be April 2."

https://www.wavy.com/news/north-carolina/new-bonner-bridge-s-official-opening-date-set-for-april/1788552957
Thank you for the information.

Now, they need to get started on the Mid-Currituck Bridge.

sprjus4

Correction - The Bonner Bridge opens sometime next week, once the lines are striped correctly. The official ribbon cutting ceremony is on April 2nd.

"Though the Bonner Bridge replacement is slated to open to vehicular traffic within a matter of days, a formal "grand opening"  and official ribbon cutting ceremony is set for April 2, with Governor Roy Cooper among the expected guests.

NCDOT Public Relations Officer Tim Haas told the Island Free Press late last week that the bridge will open once traffic lines are painted on the ramps that lead to the bridge structure itself.
"That's the only thing we're waiting on, and that should happen in the next few days, assuming the weather holds,"  he said."

https://islandfreepress.org/outer-banks-news/official-ribbon-cutting-for-new-bridge-set-for-april-2/

wdcrft63

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 18, 2019, 02:44:28 PM
Correction - The Bonner Bridge opens sometime next week, once the lines are striped correctly. The official ribbon cutting ceremony is on April 2nd.

"Though the Bonner Bridge replacement is slated to open to vehicular traffic within a matter of days, a formal "grand opening"  and official ribbon cutting ceremony is set for April 2, with Governor Roy Cooper among the expected guests.

NCDOT Public Relations Officer Tim Haas told the Island Free Press late last week that the bridge will open once traffic lines are painted on the ramps that lead to the bridge structure itself.
"That's the only thing we're waiting on, and that should happen in the next few days, assuming the weather holds,"  he said."

https://islandfreepress.org/outer-banks-news/official-ribbon-cutting-for-new-bridge-set-for-april-2/
We don't know yet what the new bridge will be called; there's a movement to name it for Mark Basnight, the late state senator from Nags Head (he was a powerful figure in NC politics and pushed aggressively for the upgrading of US 64 to a freeway). It's pretty clear it won't be called the Bonner Bridge this time; Herbert C. Bonner was a US senator from 1940 to 1965 and a strong supporter of racial segregation.

Mapmikey

Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 18, 2019, 06:19:35 PM

We don't know yet what the new bridge will be called; there's a movement to name it for Mark Basnight, the late state senator from Nags Head (he was a powerful figure in NC politics and pushed aggressively for the upgrading of US 64 to a freeway). It's pretty clear it won't be called the Bonner Bridge this time; Herbert C. Bonner was a US senator from 1940 to 1965 and a strong supporter of racial segregation.

It will start out posted as the Bonner bridge...

From Adam Prince's visit to Community Day:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/adamontheroad/40164223573/in/album-72157678754899038/

sprjus4

I'll still always refer to it as the Bonner Bridge. It's always been called that, and I see no real reason to rename it. But I guess everything has to be PC these days. If he was a strong supporter of racial segregation, then no shot.

Now, when you say US 64 to a freeway, are you referring to the 26 mile US 64 freeway relocation & 2-lane upgrade between Plymouth and Columbia built in 2006, or another, unbuilt segment?

goobnav

NCDOT voted for Basnight naming per the N&O, truthfully the Oregon Inlet Bridge has a nice ring to it.  BTW, hi neighbor, live off of Highgate here.
Life is a highway and I drive it all night long!

goobnav

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 18, 2019, 08:36:34 PM
I'll still always refer to it as the Bonner Bridge. It's always been called that, and I see no real reason to rename it. But I guess everything has to be PC these days. If he was a strong supporter of racial segregation, then no shot.

Now, when you say US 64 to a freeway, are you referring to the 26 mile US 64 freeway relocation & 2-lane upgrade between Plymouth and Columbia built in 2006, or another, unbuilt segment?

He got sick of getting stuck in traffic driving to and from the General Assembly.  Eventually the remaining 2 lane section will get a 4 lane bypass from Columbia to Manns Harbor and the Dare Bridge.

sprjus4

Quote from: goobnav on February 18, 2019, 08:49:50 PM
He got sick of getting stuck in traffic driving to and from the General Assembly.
Reminds me of one of the governor candidates for VA a couple years back who wanted a US 58 interstate from Hampton Roads to Hillsville (where I-77 / US 58 meet). At least the US 64 proposal is way more realistic.

Eventually the remaining 2 lane section will get a 4 lane bypass from Columbia to Manns Harbor and the Dare Bridge.
I thought it was simply four-laning on existing. Not exactly anywhere to bypass it. I'd like to see the four-laning be built as a freeway, but there's not really a need, and only a couple of minor roads would intersect, all the homes would get relocated. What I don't support is the fact it's only proposed to be 55 MPH. Straight, wide open, divided highway, very little traffic, no private connections, and few intersections and having to hold 55 MPH is going to be a task. Should be allowable at 70 MPH, but that's only reserved for freeways.

Roadsguy

Will NC post 65 mph on non-freeways, or do they top out at 60?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

sprjus4

Quote from: Roadsguy on February 18, 2019, 10:36:34 PM
Will NC post 65 mph on non-freeways, or do they top out at 60?
Right now, the maximum allowed is 60 MPH, and they seem to be restrictive with even that. I only know a few non-freeways with 60 MPH, US-17, NC-11, and US-117 are a few that come to mind. I think US-64 west of Raleigh may have it in some areas too, correct me if I'm wrong.

I could honestly could easily see 65 MPH on those roads, plus a lot more. Same applies here in Virginia. As long as visibility is decent, and traffic can safely flow that speed, I see no reason why not. Southern states have 65 MPH for the most part, on highways of the same design.

RoadPelican

US 64 west of Raleigh is 55 MPH all the way to Pittsboro, then on the Pittsboro bypass it goes to 65, then back down to 55 until Siler City.

This highway turns very rural once you get past the 540 Toll Road and could very easily handle 60+

LM117

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 18, 2019, 10:30:26 PM
He got sick of getting stuck in traffic driving to and from the General Assembly.
Reminds me of one of the governor candidates for VA a couple years back who wanted a US 58 interstate from Hampton Roads to Hillsville (where I-77 / US 58 meet). At least the US 64 proposal is way more realistic.

Frank Wagner. The only candidate that was serious about upgrading major non-interstate corridors outside of NoVA. I didn't agree with him on everything, but hit the nail on the head where highway infrastructure is concerned. It was refreshing to hear a statewide candidate acknowledge that rural VA exists.

But I digress...

sprjus4

Quote from: RoadPelican on February 19, 2019, 12:33:58 AM
US 64 west of Raleigh is 55 MPH all the way to Pittsboro, then on the Pittsboro bypass it goes to 65, then back down to 55 until Siler City.

This highway turns very rural once you get past the 540 Toll Road and could very easily handle 60+
The Pittsboro Bypass is freeway, so they posted that at 65 MPH. The rest should be 60 MPH, reasonably 65 MPH, but staying within state law, 60 MPH. IMHO, from Laura Duncan Rd heading west it could start 60 MPH. That portion inside the beltway is mainly freeway with a couple intersections with right in / right out, and r-cut.

I almost drove that stretch between Raleigh and Asheboro on a trip to Asheboro last year, but then decided to go the slightly longer distance (5 mins slower, 10 additional miles) by hitting I-85 at South Hill to I-73 as opposed to I-95 at Emporia to US 64 because of the fact it was way more interstate (about 60 miles of at-grade between Raleigh and Asheboro) besides the extra 30 miles on US 58, and also it was night, and I was familiar with US 58 as opposed to never driven US 64. Driving back to Raleigh, I took a long detour to clinch the new I-73 north of Greensboro up to Stokesdale, then back down to I-40 to Raleigh. Still need to get US 64 one day...

Quote from: LM117 on February 19, 2019, 12:20:17 PM
Frank Wagner. The only candidate that was serious about upgrading major non-interstate corridors outside of NoVA. I didn't agree with him on everything, but hit the nail on the head where highway infrastructure is concerned. It was refreshing to hear a statewide candidate acknowledge that rural VA exists.

But I digress...
Only issue is funding and is it even reasonable. US 58 beyond South Hill is very empty. I drove it back in December, and easily cruised 70 MPH between South Hill and Martinsville (over 100 miles) with very little traffic (saw a semi with port containers here and there, and the occasional car). I just couldn't see billions of dollars being poured into that to make it a freeway. West of Martinsville, it's as little 2,000 AADT! I would've loved to see a push to get I-73 built, a US 29 freeway to at least Lynchburg, or a US 58 freeway from Norfolk to Emporia or South Hill. Realistic, and reasonable proposals.

goobnav

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 19, 2019, 05:04:43 PM
Quote from: RoadPelican on February 19, 2019, 12:33:58 AM

The Pittsboro Bypass is freeway, so they posted that at 65 MPH. The rest should be 60 MPH, reasonably 65 MPH, but staying within state law, 60 MPH. IMHO, from Laura Duncan Rd heading west it could start 60 MPH. That portion inside the beltway is mainly freeway with a couple intersections with right in / right out, and r-cut.

I almost drove that stretch between Raleigh and Asheboro on a trip to Asheboro last year, but then decided to go the slightly longer distance (5 mins slower, 10 additional miles) by hitting I-85 at South Hill to I-73 as opposed to I-95 at Emporia to US 64 because of the fact it was way more interstate (about 60 miles of at-grade between Raleigh and Asheboro) besides the extra 30 miles on US 58, and also it was night, and I was familiar with US 58 as opposed to never driven US 64. Driving back to Raleigh, I took a long detour to clinch the new I-73 north of Greensboro up to Stokesdale, then back down to I-40 to Raleigh. Still need to get US 64 one day...

Quote from: LM117 on February 19, 2019, 12:20:17 PM

But I digress...
Only issue is funding and is it even reasonable. US 58 beyond South Hill is very empty. I drove it back in December, and easily cruised 70 MPH between South Hill and Martinsville (over 100 miles) with very little traffic (saw a semi with port containers here and there, and the occasional car). I just couldn't see billions of dollars being poured into that to make it a freeway. West of Martinsville, it's as little 2,000 AADT! I would've loved to see a push to get I-73 built, a US 29 freeway to at least Lynchburg, or a US 58 freeway from Norfolk to Emporia or South Hill. Realistic, and reasonable proposals.

Going to disagree a bit on the US 64, limit of 60 mph, that would have to start at minimum west of NC 540 Toll, too much congestion and developement between US 1 and Apex on 64.  Also have clinched the stretch from US 1 to I-73/74 multiple times, decent drive but, way too many lights and speed traps.

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-02-20-pitt-county-highway-closure.aspx

QuoteA Pitt County road will close to traffic later this month as work continues in connecting old and new sections of N.C. 11.

Contractors with the N.C. Department of Transportation will close both lanes of Lee Street in Ayden starting Feb. 25. This closure, about a month and a half long, will allow crews to grade and pave the newly constructed road, plus tie it in with the older section of road.

Once this work, which is part of the Southwest Bypass project, is finished, traffic will enter N.C. 11 at a different location, approximately a quarter-of-a-mile south of the existing intersection.

Because both lanes will be closed, traffic on N.C. 11 and Lee Street will be rerouted onto West 3rd Street. Drivers should anticipate additional time being added to their commute and staying alert to crews working in the area.

For real-time travel information, visit DriveNC.gov or follow NCDOT on social media.​

sprjus4

Quote from: goobnav on February 20, 2019, 07:05:19 AM
Going to disagree a bit on the US 64, limit of 60 mph, that would have to start at minimum west of NC 540 Toll, too much congestion and developement between US 1 and Apex on 64.  Also have clinched the stretch from US 1 to I-73/74 multiple times, decent drive but, way too many lights and speed traps.
After the Laura Duncan Rd traffic signal, it's essentially a freeway with one R-CUT, and a few right in right out. IMHO it could easily handle 60 MPH where there's no signals, but I could be wrong.

There's 20 signals on US 64 between Laura Duncan Rd and the Future US 64 Bypass. Most of those are between the U.S. 421 freeway and Future U.S. 64 Bypass. There's a 20 mile stretch without signals that could be 60 MPH. There's areas where there's 3 or 4 miles between signals, and it could decrease to 55 MPH at the signal, then back to 60 MPH. That practice is used many places, including here in Virginia (shockingly). I recall one divided highway in Florida I drove last year that was 65 MPH, and decreased multiple times to 55 MPH for signals, then kept increasing to 65 MPH. I don't remember which highway exactly though.

Here's a concept showing where US 64 could be 60 MPH (or higher if state law were to allow). Green indicate traffic signals, and red zones are the areas I could see 60 or higher.

goobnav

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 20, 2019, 05:56:13 PM
Quote from: goobnav on February 20, 2019, 07:05:19 AM
After the Laura Duncan Rd traffic signal, it's essentially a freeway with one R-CUT, and a few right in right out. IMHO it could easily handle 60 MPH where there's no signals, but I could be wrong.

There's 20 signals on US 64 between Laura Duncan Rd and the Future US 64 Bypass. Most of those are between the U.S. 421 freeway and Future U.S. 64 Bypass. There's a 20 mile stretch without signals that could be 60 MPH. There's areas where there's 3 or 4 miles between signals, and it could decrease to 55 MPH at the signal, then back to 60 MPH. That practice is used many places, including here in Virginia (shockingly). I recall one divided highway in Florida I drove last year that was 65 MPH, and decreased multiple times to 55 MPH for signals, then kept increasing to 65 MPH. I don't remember which highway exactly though.

Here's a concept showing where US 64 could be 60 MPH (or higher if state law were to allow). Green indicate traffic signals, and red zones are the areas I could see 60 or higher.

Yeah, still like my plan better, will be driving it this weekend, my Jeep dealer is AutoPark Chrysler Jeep in Cary, regular service, there is way too much development in that area, after 540 it becomes a rural arterial route like 58 between Emporia and South Hill or US 1 north of Wake Forest.  Next would be Siler City.  People do drive at 70 on there in the rural area but, they'll get caught eventually either by Local PD or NCSHP.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.