News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

Quote from: WashuOtaku on February 13, 2022, 09:16:14 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on February 13, 2022, 09:08:24 PM
Quote from: WashuOtaku on February 13, 2022, 08:51:31 PM
Guess what Interstate was not on the list.  :-/
I-587?

No, that's already approved from an earlier meeting. The one in Durham.
Ah. So I-885. New signs are clearly already up for that unless that's what's holding the east end connector but that's just my guess.

sprjus4

AASHTO finally uploaded the Fall 2021 Meeting Report and here was all that was listed for North Carolina (most of which you all know):

• Establishment of I-42, 10 miles from I-40 to US 70 Bus.
  • Establishment of I-42, 21 miles along US 70 Bypass in Wayne County.
Interesting to see that two segments of I-42 will be signed... as far as I was aware, it was only the Goldsboro Bypass part, not the Clayton as well.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 13, 2022, 09:27:57 PM
AASHTO finally uploaded the Fall 2021 Meeting Report and here was all that was listed for North Carolina (most of which you all know):

Interesting to see that two segments of I-42 will be signed... as far as I was aware, it was only the Goldsboro Bypass part, not the Clayton as well.
I'd also be interested if they also sign I-42 on the freeway part from Dover to New Bern and on the Havelock bypass.

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 13, 2022, 09:29:55 PM

I'd also be interested if they also sign I-42 on the freeway part from Dover to New Bern and on the Havelock bypass.
Those segments would be ineligible to be signed given they do not connect to another interstate highway.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 13, 2022, 09:33:05 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on February 13, 2022, 09:29:55 PM

Those segments would be ineligible to be signed given they do not connect to another interstate highway.
makes sense now.

cowboy_wilhelm

There hasn't been a press release from NCDOT, but the northern section of the U.S. 221 Rutherfordton Bypass (R-2233BB) was let in December, with construction scheduled to start this month. The next section isn't scheduled to begin until summer 2027.

Public meeting map sheet 2 (from 2011, outdated project breaks and other minor design changes)
Public meeting map sheet 3

Voyager75

Wanted to chime in from Alabama and say the North Carolina Interstate soap opera keeps me well entertained. I know more about the state now from looking at maps of the hundreds of new Interstates and re-numberings of Interstates before they're even fully built. All we have down here to talk about is the Montgomery to Meridian Interstate 85/14/new 20 alignment, the new I-10 Mobile Bay bridge and the possibility of US 231 becoming a new I-10 spur for Dothan.

The Ghostbuster

Which Interstate "soap opera" is more entertaining? Texas's or North Carolina's?

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on February 14, 2022, 07:46:38 AM
There hasn't been a press release from NCDOT, but the northern section of the U.S. 221 Rutherfordton Bypass (R-2233BB) was let in December, with construction scheduled to start this month. The next section isn't scheduled to begin until summer 2027.

Public meeting map sheet 2 (from 2011, outdated project breaks and other minor design changes)
Public meeting map sheet 3

This is, in reality the section that needs the most improvement.  Most SB through traffic takes 221 s to 64e to Bus 74 s.  This will aide this movement and bypass a very heavily enforced speed trap on 221 s.

tolbs17

Voyager75

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 14, 2022, 03:04:00 PM
Which Interstate "soap opera" is more entertaining? Texas's or North Carolina's?

North Carolina for sure. And I meant soap opera in the sense of the amount of storylines NC has, not necessarily in the drama dept. Although the I-885 railroad bridge in Durham does seem to be evil mother holding I-85's child down...

tolbs17

Just a note from the post I made here (see post #414).

New NC-540 signs and NC-147 being changed to NC-885 will not go up until the East End Connector is completed.

This last line states what will be done.

Quote​Once complete, N.C. 147 will begin at the connector and go north through Durham to I-85. Existing Toll N.C. 147, which goes from I-40 south to Toll N.C. 540, will also change to Toll N.C. 885.

Here's the link if you didn't see the new signage plans: https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/Division%205%20Letting/10-13-2021/DE00325%20Combined%20Plan%20Sheets.pdf

The other for the NC-147 re-numbering partially: https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/Division%205%20Letting/01-13-2021/DE00310%20Combined%20Plan%20Sheets.pdf

Kulerage

Quote from: Voyager75 on February 14, 2022, 11:34:14 AM
Wanted to chime in from Alabama and say the North Carolina Interstate soap opera keeps me well entertained. I know more about the state now from looking at maps of the hundreds of new Interstates and re-numberings of Interstates before they're even fully built. All we have down here to talk about is the Montgomery to Meridian Interstate 85/14/new 20 alignment, the new I-10 Mobile Bay bridge and the possibility of US 231 becoming a new I-10 spur for Dothan.
Tell me about it. It's honestly hard to keep up with at times.

CanesFan27

Quote from: Voyager75 on February 15, 2022, 01:21:38 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 14, 2022, 03:04:00 PM

North Carolina for sure. And I meant soap opera in the sense of the amount of storylines NC has, not necessarily in the drama dept. Although the I-885 railroad bridge in Durham does seem to be evil mother holding I-85's child down...

Heh, a railroad bridge in the way of 885 is nothing compared to the delays, funding drama, political bickering when 485 was being built.

One of my personal favorites - a lack of traffic signals delayed opening part of the northwest corner of 485.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2008/11/new-soap-opera-as-interstate-485-gets.html

PColumbus73

Side note: What is the deal with those NC Core signs? Whenever I drove past them over Thanksgiving, I feel like I spend more time than I should have trying to understand what it meant. I understand the purpose of those signs are more advertising than informational, which I don't like a-la those blue signs in New York.

Dirt Roads

crossposted to the North Carolina thread and the I-685 North Carolina thread:

Quote from: PColumbus73 on February 17, 2022, 07:41:56 PM
Side note: What is the deal with those NC Core signs? Whenever I drove past them over Thanksgiving, I feel like I spend more time than I should have trying to understand what it meant. I understand the purpose of those signs are more advertising than informational, which I don't like a-la those blue signs in New York.

It's actually "NC Carolina Core", and it is the new commercial development zone entity in Central Carolina between I-77 and I-95 that is routed along I-40 from Statesville to Greensboro, over the southwest part of the Greensboro Urban Loop (I-73 and a tad of new I-85) and US-421 (future I-685).  This connects Winston-Salem to the new Greensboro megasites by bypassing Greensboro proper, which has some huge political undertones that haven't made the press yet.  I haven't seen any of these signs yet, but it wouldn't surprise me that they are cluttered with info.

tolbs17

Quote from: Dirt Roads on February 18, 2022, 11:32:08 AM
crossposted to the North Carolina thread and the I-685 North Carolina thread:

Quote from: PColumbus73 on February 17, 2022, 07:41:56 PM

It's actually "NC Carolina Core", and it is the new commercial development zone entity in Central Carolina between I-77 and I-95 that is routed along I-40 from Statesville to Greensboro, over the southwest part of the Greensboro Urban Loop (I-73 and a tad of new I-85) and US-421 (future I-685).  This connects Winston-Salem to the new Greensboro megasites by bypassing Greensboro proper, which has some huge political undertones that haven't made the press yet.  I haven't seen any of these signs yet, but it wouldn't surprise me that they are cluttered with info.
I-40 is for sure a "busy" highway, and I'd like to see how much traffic will get relieved on that although they are already planning for express lanes on I-40 even with the 540 beltways being done, but given the Triangle's growth, it could be a game changer.

sprjus4

You've mentioned express lanes for the Raleigh area several times... asides from a feasibility study that was done some years ago though... are these actually actively planned?

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 18, 2022, 11:57:57 AM
You've mentioned express lanes for the Raleigh area several times... asides from a feasibility study that was done some years ago though... are these actually actively planned?
Yes, I-6006 is I-40 from NC-54 (Raleigh Rd) to Wade Ave which would convert it into a managed freeway with ramp metering. Construction is scheduled for 2029.

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 18, 2022, 12:16:00 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on February 18, 2022, 11:57:57 AM
Yes, I-6006 is I-40 from NC-54 (Raleigh Rd) to Wade Ave which would convert it into a managed freeway with ramp metering. Construction is scheduled for 2029.
Not the same thing as Express Lanes.

From what I see, that project will install ramp metering and other ITS improvements along the interstate. Nothing about adding lanes, let alone managed lanes.

The Ghostbuster

How extensive is ramp metering used in North Carolina? Here in Wisconsin, ramp meters are used extensively in the Milwaukee and Waukesha metropolitan areas, and there are some on the Beltline here in Madison. I'm not sure if ramp meters are used in other parts of the state though.

fillup420

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 18, 2022, 01:50:07 PM
How extensive is ramp metering used in North Carolina? Here in Wisconsin, ramp meters are used extensively in the Milwaukee and Waukesha metropolitan areas, and there are some on the Beltline here in Madison. I'm not sure if ramp meters are used in other parts of the state though.

Almost non-existent

I have seen it installed only at a few entrance ramps along I-540, and even then they aren't used often. Before pandemic I would see them used in the morning rush hour.

I haven't seen or heard of any ramp meters in Charlotte, Durham, Wilmington, Asheville, or any other major city with heavy freeway traffic.

architect77

Quote from: fillup420 on February 18, 2022, 02:42:19 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 18, 2022, 01:50:07 PM

Almost non-existent

I have seen it installed only at a few entrance ramps along I-540, and even then they aren't used often. Before pandemic I would see them used in the morning rush hour.

I haven't seen or heard of any ramp meters in Charlotte, Durham, Wilmington, Asheville, or any other major city with heavy freeway traffic.

Of course people were skeptical at first, and then saw immediate benefits from the few on I-540 pre-pandemic.

Of course, an adequate road system wouldn't need them extensively, but I predict they'll be needed more and more in the future.

They are absolutely essential in metro Atlanta and are used extensively at ramps to keep the freeways flowing as best as possible.

WashuOtaku

Completely random, but I think NCDOT should request a new U.S. Route to replace nearly all of NC 24. It would be a good case, route from biggest city to port city, connecting military installations along the way; a lot of the route is already widen to four-lane. It would begin at US 74 going east, with a routing along NC 210 through Fayetteville, and end at US 70 at Morehead City. Leftover segment of NC 24 along WT Harris Blvd would remain, while one segment of NC 27 would remain and a renumbering of the other NC 27.

Just an idea, might have been thought of before.

tolbs17

Quote from: WashuOtaku on February 21, 2022, 04:25:19 PM
Completely random, but I think NCDOT should request a new U.S. Route to replace nearly all of NC 24. It would be a good case, route from biggest city to port city, connecting military installations along the way; a lot of the route is already widen to four-lane. It would begin at US 74 going east, with a routing along NC 210 through Fayetteville, and end at US 70 at Morehead City. Leftover segment of NC 24 along WT Harris Blvd would remain, while one segment of NC 27 would remain and a renumbering of the other NC 27.

Just an idea, might have been thought of before.
Don't see how that is possible aside from making it a US x17. And even if they wanted to replace NC 24 with a US route, I don't see that happening.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.