US 25/42 on 2 different routings at the same time (Cincinnati/Covington)

Started by bandit957, February 03, 2023, 08:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

As they used to say in the Bubble Yum commercial: Lemon and lime at the same time!

For years, I've looked over older maps - i.e., pre-1970s - and noticed that US 25/42 actually used two different routings at the same time. US 25/42 used both the Suspension Bridge and the C&O Bridge. They may have even used 3 routes at the same time in Covington: Going north, you may have been able to use Pike or 5th or Main. I think I saw one map where Pike was BUSINESS US 25/42 while 5th was just plain old US 25/42. But I think I once saw one where the 4th/5th pair in Covington was BUSINESS US 25/42. Or maybe it was just 4th, since it might have been two-way then.

I think the split routing on the bridges continued even after US 25/42 added US 127.

Now I've noticed on some Ohio official highway maps from the early 1950s found online that the split routing was actually like a one-way pair. I don't think the bridges themselves were one-way, but northbound US 25/42 used the C&O, while southbound was the Suspension Bridge.

I think I have seen a photo of Pike Street in Covington from the 1970s that had a BUSINESS ROUTE banner but no shield. I know I saw a US 25 cutout on Pike in 1987, but no BUSINESS banner. That was when that was no longer US 25/42.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.