When were the block numbers taken off the freeway exit signs in Chicago and why?

Started by KCRoadFan, April 10, 2023, 09:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

From visits I made to Chicago in 2002, 2011, and most recently 2019, I know that they love putting up block numbers on signs, so much that it seems a part of the city's cultural identity: you see them in the CTA "L" train stations, as well as on practically all the traffic lights in the city. "N WESTERN AV - 2400 W" or "W BELMONT AV - 3200 N", for example.

For a time, IDOT even got in on the action, with the signage on the Kennedy (I-90/I-94) and the Eisenhower (I-290) showing the block numbers next to the street names on the exit signs, as well as on the overpasses - at least, they did when I was there in 2002 and 2011. However, by the time I returned in 2019, I noticed that the block numbers were gone from the freeway signs. When did IDOT get rid of them, and why did they do so? (In my opinion, I think they should have been kept.)

JoePCool14

I think they might be prohibited by the MUTCD under the guise of being information overload. So any sign replacement projects in Chicago now remove block numbers from BGS. It's a bit of a shame, as I remember being a kid, it was useful to know how close or far we were from downtown. If they couldn't put them on the full-sized BGS, I wish they would've continued to post them on the guide signs for roads over/under bridges.

They're still posted on guide signs at signalized intersections by CDOT though.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

StogieGuy7

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 11, 2023, 10:03:59 AM
I think they might be prohibited by the MUTCD under the guise of being information overload. So any sign replacement projects in Chicago now remove block numbers from BGS. It's a bit of a shame, as I remember being a kid, it was useful to know how close or far we were from downtown. If they couldn't put them on the full-sized BGS, I wish they would've continued to post them on the guide signs for roads over/under bridges.

They're still posted on guide signs at signalized intersections by CDOT though.

You're probably right, but it's still a shame.  For the OP: it seems like these started disappearing about 10-15 years ago with sign replacements. Although block #s on cross street identification signs on overpasses/underpasses seem to have lasted longer.

ET21

There's still a few up and recently put up on the I-90 only stretch of the Kennedy. Just last week when commuting home on the train I saw the Lawrence Ave exit sigh on the EB side still had the "xxxx" Chicago streetcode on it.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9698701,-87.7597186,3a,75y,135.63h,99.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGQRLy6MnENXxsq8hrWqsvg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

StogieGuy7

Quote from: ET21 on April 11, 2023, 10:23:11 AM
There's still a few up and recently put up on the I-90 only stretch of the Kennedy. Just last week when commuting home on the train I saw the Lawrence Ave exit sigh on the EB side still had the "xxxx" Chicago streetcode on it.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9698701,-87.7597186,3a,75y,135.63h,99.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGQRLy6MnENXxsq8hrWqsvg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Yes, that one is definitely more recent. Come to think of it, I think I saw that one a few months back (I don't get down there as often as I used to). So, I hope that means that block numbers are not headed for extinction on the expressways!

edwaleni

Block numbers are important in Chicago due to the fact that many of the freeways come in at an angle.

Perhaps the Ike didn't need them so much but the JFK and the AS certainly do.

Has ISTHA been removing them between I-80 and I-290? I seem to recall they had the block numbers for Cermak and an exit near Oak Lawn/Stickney. Pulaski, Halsted?

I will have to check Google Maps on that one.

Henry

Quote from: edwaleni on April 11, 2023, 08:30:40 PM
Block numbers are important in Chicago due to the fact that many of the freeways come in at an angle.

Has ISTHA been removing them between I-80 and I-290? I seem to recall they had the block numbers for Cermak and an exit near Oak Lawn/Stickney. Pulaski, Halsted?

I'll assume you referred to I-294, so I looked at those specific locations, and it turns out that there's no photographic evidence that block numbers were ever used, as none of the available Streetview versions display them.

I used to be proud of the block numbers showing up on freeway signs, because they gave a sense of the exact location in the street grid. And I agree, it is too bad that those aren't allowed anymore.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ET21

Quote from: edwaleni on April 11, 2023, 08:30:40 PM

No they were never used on the Tollway least from what I've seen while driving. The block numbers seem to be only within the Chicago city limits or just outside of them. I've seen them on I-55, I-90, I-94, and I-290.

Here's the one I always see on I-55
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8287844,-87.7054443,3a,75y,75.55h,98.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0zX61f_AJYhpdm19S4nw5Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

JoePCool14

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on April 11, 2023, 10:42:04 AM

Yes, that one is definitely more recent. Come to think of it, I think I saw that one a few months back (I don't get down there as often as I used to). So, I hope that means that block numbers are not headed for extinction on the expressways!

From what I can tell, this isn't a new sign. Only the cantilever was replaced, and then the old sign was relocated.

To my knowledge, block numbers were never posted anywhere by ISTHA.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 12, 2023, 10:02:17 AM
Quote from: StogieGuy7 on April 11, 2023, 10:42:04 AM

From what I can tell, this isn't a new sign. Only the cantilever was replaced, and then the old sign was relocated.

To my knowledge, block numbers were never posted anywhere by ISTHA.

That sign is IDOT and it's not very old (meaning probably <10 years) because it's in Clearview.

jrStudios

JoePCool14

Quote from: jrStudios on April 12, 2023, 10:34:16 AM
Actually <20, as Interim Approvals began as early as 2003.

In reality, it's somewhere in between for Illinois anyways. IDOT started replacing BGS semi-aggressively with Clearview between 10-15 years ago.

US20IL64

Many suburbs have their own address grid, so I-294 wouldn't have #'s.
I'm so used to the city grid, I haven't paid attention to the block #'s on city exits.

edwaleni

Quote from: US20IL64 on April 13, 2023, 12:33:05 AM
I'm so used to the city grid, I haven't paid attention to the block #'s on city exits.

It's not used in highways signs, but DuPage County's suburban addressing system is based on a pseudo Chicago grid.

Many of the addresses are based off of the corner of State and Madison. If you weren't in a legacy addressing city, you would get an address like 1N035 or 2S075 which meant a 1 mile north of an imaginary extension of Madison or 2 miles south.

There weren't any E addresses since that would be in Lake Michigan, but tons of W ones like 25W050  and 31W023 which simply meant 25 or 31 miles west of State Street.

Not sure if Kane County adopted the same coordinates.

But if you want to go really out there, Will County does use the Chicago numbering system all the way to their southern border. Cottage Grove Ave and a few others that originate in Chicago proper go all the way to 12200 Block.

kphoger

Quote from: edwaleni on April 13, 2023, 12:52:08 PM

It's not used in highways signs, but DuPage County's suburban addressing system is based on a pseudo Chicago grid.

Many of the addresses are based off of the corner of State and Madison. If you weren't in a legacy addressing city, you would get an address like 1N035 or 2S075 which meant a 1 mile north of an imaginary extension of Madison or 2 miles south.

There weren't any E addresses since that would be in Lake Michigan, but tons of W ones like 25W050  and 31W023 which simply meant 25 or 31 miles west of State Street.

But if you want to go really out there, Will County does use the Chicago numbering system all the way to their southern border. Cottage Grove Ave and a few others that originate in Chicago proper go all the way to 12200 Block.

That's far from universal, though.  I've lived in...

New Lenox, Will County:  house number 215 East (215 West is on the other side of Cedar Road)

River Forest, Cook County:  house number 7400 (follows Chicago's grid, but Oak Park on the other side of Harlem Avenue does not)

Wheaton, DuPage County:  house number 114 West (baseline is Main Street)
Wheaton, DuPage County:  house number 2000-something North (now demolished) (baseline is Front Street)
Wheaton, DuPage County:  house number 1207 East

Carol Stream, DuPage County:  house number 580 East (baseline is Gary Avenue)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

edwaleni

Quote from: kphoger on April 13, 2023, 01:07:12 PM

New Lenox, Will County:  house number 215 East (215 West is on the other side of Cedar Road)

River Forest, Cook County:  house number 7400 (follows Chicago's grid, but Oak Park on the other side of Harlem Avenue does not)

Wheaton, DuPage County:  house number 2000-something North (now demolished) (baseline is Front Street)

Hence the remark:

"If you weren't in a legacy addressing city"

kphoger

But it would be strange to see I-290 exits like this:

Mannheim Rd (4000 W)
25th Ave (2500 W)
17th Ave (1700 W)
1st Ave (0 E/W)
Des Plaines Ave (7700 W)
Harlem Ave (7200 W)
Austin Blvd (6000 W)
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rick Powell

I think they did, at least for the rural areas. A flower shop east of Elburn on IL 38 is listed as 42W075 IL 38, and it measures about 42 miles directly west of State Street as the crow flies.

kphoger

Quote from: Rick Powell on April 13, 2023, 06:01:04 PM

I think they did, at least for the rural areas. A flower shop east of Elburn on IL 38 is listed as 42W075 IL 38, and it measures about 42 miles directly west of State Street as the crow flies.

Also Kaneville (which was only recently incorporated).  For example:

Kaneville Fire Department
46W536 Lovell Street, Kaneville
Male pronouns, please.

dvferyance

Rockford is doing the same thing with the street signs on the traffic lights. Any newer assembly installed like in the last 10 years or so omits the block numbers from the signs.

US20IL64

Unincorporated Du Page has the W & N/S based on State and Madison, yes. Also, some towns like Warrenville and Oakbrook Terrace. Downers Grove uses Chicago numbered streets like 63rd, in their N/S grid, along with Lisle.

I also know about Kane using Du Page's grid, but I can't remember if De Kalb County also uses it.

Lake [IL] uses Chicago's hundreds in unincorporated areas but correct me if not the case.

bschultzy

Quote from: kphoger on April 13, 2023, 01:07:12 PM

Carol Stream! I grew up there.

Interesting story from Carol Stream is that the original plan in the first section of the town around Gary/Thunderbird included a continuation of street names from Glendale Heights (with E-W streets that follow the Chicago street names, e.g. Dickens/Armitage) and N-S street names from Wheaton (i.e. Blackhawk was to be Gables Blvd.) I do not know, however, if the address numbering would be different.

ran4sh

I think it could hardly be considered "information overload" if it's actually useful information though. Like, it's obviously allowed in Utah bc the street name is the same as the block number, so why not allow it in Chicago in the sense that the block number is useful info about the street.

Same for how Chicago lists the names of freeways ("expressways"). The small font under the direction is technically a MUTCD violation but freeway name is useful information if radio traffic reports use it.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

US20IL64

Hanover Park uses Chicago's grid for N/S street addresses. Only a few actual streets from the city are plotted, some in area by Roselle Rd and Nerge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.