News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why Was I-210 in Lake Charles Built?

Started by CoreySamson, May 31, 2023, 02:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreySamson

I clinched I-210 in Lake Charles about a week ago, which was a pretty fun drive. However, after driving it, I am sort of confused why it was built in the first place. While it serves much more of a purpose than some other 3di (*cough, I-180 IL, cough*), it seems strange how Lake Charles, of all places, ended up with such a bypass.

I-210 is a fully-fledged bypass that only appears to serve I-10 and local traffic. Among cities Lake Charles's size, a bypass such as I-210 is fairly unique. However, unlike some cities with similar networks (Topeka, KS and Asheville, NC came to mind as analogues), the I-210 bypass does not serve any sort of long-term traffic route outside of its parent route (in the case of Topeka, I-470 helps funnel Kansas Turnpike traffic, while I-240 in Asheville helps with I-26 traffic). I-210 does not connect with any of the good N-S options out of Lake Charles for hurricane evacuation or long-haul travel (US 171, US 165, LA 27). Also interesting is the fact that similarly sized cities in Louisiana such as Monroe and Baton Rouge did not get their bypass loops built, but Lake Charles did.

So if I-210 has no real reason from a modern geographical standpoint to exist, why does it? Does it exist because of the Port of Lake Charles? Was some sort of urban freeway needed in Lake Charles in the 60's and 70's to combat traffic issues? Was it purely built as an alternative for the I-10 Calcasieu River Bridge, or did Lake Charles want another Calcasieu River crossing? Was building freeway loops of cities simply a fetish by DOTD in the planning stages of the IHS? None of these explanations seem to add up, so I would be very interested in some history and an explanation as to why I-210 exists.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

StogieGuy7

Well, I'll admit to knowing little about LA's highway planning process.  But from looking at maps of the area, a couple of fairly obvious reasons come to mind:

1) Lake Charles and it's environs are large enough that, bearing future growth in mind, it was likely thought that a bypass of I-10 (the only major freeway thoroughfare serving the area at the time) was insufficient. So, a bypass basically doubled I-10's capacity through the city.

2) A bypass also (very importantly) provided a second set of bridges over the Calcascieu River (yes, I know there's another farther north in LC, but it's beyond where most people live).

I-10 serves the Citgo Refinery (one of the largest in the US) while I-210 serves a couple of large chemical plants.  All are major employers in the area so, again, the bypass spreads the demand out between the two. 

That's my guess.  There may be other details going on that a local would know.

Bobby5280

I-210 cuts through the most commercially busy and densely populated part of Lake Charles. I-10 actually does more to bypass that small city than go thru it.

Lake Charles isn't an especially big city. But the port and petro-chemical industry there does generate quite a lot of commercial traffic. It's also likely the Isreal LaFleur Bridge was built as a back-up in case the Calcasieu River Bridge was damaged by something, such as a barge collision.

I have no problem at all with I-210 in Lake Charles existing. Both I-10 and I-210 run in pretty minimal 4-lane configurations there. The two bridges over the Calcasieu River both lack any shoulders. Of course there are plans to replace the I-10 bridge, with fingers crossed construction on the $1.5 billion project could start by 2025.

The Ghostbuster

Interstate 210 (Louisiana)'s Wikipedia page provides some information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_210_(Louisiana). Hopefully, it, StogieGuy7's, and Bobby5280's responses sufficiently fill-in-the-gaps.

MaxConcrete

When a small town gets a disproportionately large investment, it is usually because the town has an influential House or Senate member representing them.

However, a bypass is included in the so-called "yellow book", the 1955 publication which was used to build support for the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956. So if Lake Charles politicians had disproportionately high influence, it would have been in the mid-1950s.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lake_Charles,_Louisiana_1955_Yellow_Book.jpg

You can see on this page that Monroe and Baton Rouge were also slated for bypasses in the yellow book, but neither of those were built. So I'm inclined to think Lake Charles had some political influence.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:1955_Yellow_Book_maps
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Bobby5280

It's either Lake Charles had more political influence to get its Interstate bypass built. Or there was less public opposition in Lake Charles to build it than in Baton Rouge or Monroe.

froggie

Monroe's mileage was pulled because of the extremely low traffic volumes forecast for that loop.  So the mileage was shifted down to New Orleans and intended for the Vieux Carre (cancelled I-310 that would have impacted the French Quarter).

jgb191

I don't really think of I-210 as a bypass around the Lake Charles as I think of bypasses around small towns.  When driving through Lake Charles, I (and I would imagine 95% of thru traffic) would just continue to stay on I-10, driving on I-210 wouldn't even be much of a consideration (unless there is an accident on I-10).
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Anthony_JK

I'd venture that I-210 was built to satisfy the desire of Lake Charles leaders for expansion to the south of Prien Lake Road and for better access to McNeese State University, and as an alternative to the I-10 bridge once it is rebuilt.

Henry

Lake Charles has a population of 84,872, so it's among the smallest cities to ever have a 3di loop around it. By comparison, Topeka's population is 126,587, and Asheville's is 94,589. Wilmington, DE and Wheeling, WV, better analogues for Lake Charles that also have 3di bypasses (I-470 and I-495), clock in at 70,898 and 27,062, respectively.

I-210 serves its purpose quite well, whether to access the port or serve McNeese State, and Lake Charles has its leaders to thank for it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Chris

The Israel LaFleur Bridge across the Calcasieu River opened in 1962, which means planning must've been underway since at least the 1950s.

This also means that the most expensive component of the bypass was going to get built anyway, so I suppose making it a full bypass instead of a spur would've been an easy decision at that time.

rte66man

Quote from: Chris on June 02, 2023, 03:56:01 AM
The Israel LaFleur Bridge across the Calcasieu River opened in 1962, which means planning must've been underway since at least the 1950s.

This also means that the most expensive component of the bypass was going to get built anyway, so I suppose making it a full bypass instead of a spur would've been an easy decision at that time.

That implies they wanted the 90/10 funding for interstates so they had to connect it to I-10 to make it work.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

skluth

I don't know if it's relevant but Louisiana had a lot of bypasses/spurs proposed for its major cities in the early planning. Shreveport got I-220. Baton Rouge has I-110 (which does bypass downtown for US 61 traffic). Lake Charles as mentioned got I-210. New Orleans got two, I-610 and I-12 (effectively a NOLA bypass even though it's a 2DI). Monroe was also scheduled to get a bypass, I-420. It looks more like if there was a chance for a spur/bypass of a city, Louisiana asked for and got one. I-49 was a much later addition to the interstate system, so different rules applied.

I don't think this is unusual. There were a lot of bypasses and spurs in the original proposal across the country. It's why cities like Rochester and Akron have more interstate/ freeway mileage than their size would typically warrant. There was a huge pot of highway money and everybody wanted some of it. I don't blame Louisiana, which has a long history of building road networks back to the notorious Huey Long (say what you will about him but he did build highways for the people), for getting in on the money pie.

triplemultiplex

Why is my memory telling me Lake Charles is a situation like Saginaw where there was a drawbridge involved in adding a 3di loop?
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Anthony_JK

Drawbridge??

I don't know if Lake Charles needed a drawbridge, since the original and existing Calcasieu River Bridge was already built as part of routing US 90 through the city, and ultimately became I-10. I'm thinking that I-210 was built as an alternative for trucks wanting to bypass the old bridge, access McNeese and the Port of LCH, and serve the growth areas in South Lake Charles.

bwana39

Quote from: Anthony_JK on June 02, 2023, 10:40:52 PM
Drawbridge??

I don't know if Lake Charles needed a drawbridge, since the original and existing Calcasieu River Bridge was already built as part of routing US 90 through the city, and ultimately became I-10. I'm thinking that I-210 was built as an alternative for trucks wanting to bypass the old bridge, access McNeese and the Port of LCH, and serve the growth areas in South Lake Charles.

There was Interstate money to build all the way across Louisiana. They used it. There was IH money to build a  freeway and bridge in Lake Charles. While the "old" US-90  bridge/ freeway  was on the numbered I-10 route. It was NOT paid for with earmarked  INTERSTATE dollars. The "interstate"bridge and lanes were built farther south. While the new bridge was numbered as I-210, it was part of the new interstate construction that crossed Louisiana along the I-10 corridor. More bang for the 90%+ Federal Funds that were earmarked for this corridor.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

roadman65

If Agentsteele were still active, he would respond with this:

"Because it's an interstate like all the rest."

Throwback stuff.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

rlb2024

Drawbridge??

I don't know of any drawbridge situation on any Interstate around Lake Charles.  There was, originally, a metal section at the top of the I-10 bridge over the Pearl River at the Louisiana-Mississippi border that could be removed if necessary to provide barge access to the Stennis Space Center (where the rocket engines for the Apollo missions and subsequent space programs were tested).  It was never used and was replaced with a permanent concrete section several years ago.

Urban Prairie Schooner

Regardless of why I-210 was built, it definitely serves a need. I doubt many folks use it as a true bypass, however.

My guess is that a second Calcasieu River bridge was desired or planned and the freeway was part of that package.  While the Israel LaFleur Bridge is not of a modern design, it is still superior to the ancient pre-interstate I-10 crossing.

I presume the needs of shipping and industry also played a role as LC is a major port and industrial center, and most of those uses are closer to I-210.

DOTD did not prioritize its construction, as most of the eastern segments were completed in the mid-late 1970s timeframe.  The bridge portion opened much earlier in 1962.

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: MaxConcrete on May 31, 2023, 08:41:54 PM
When a small town gets a disproportionately large investment, it is usually because the town has an influential House or Senate member representing them.

Well Louisiana's congressional delegation was fairly influential at the time the interstate highway system was planned. Senators Russell Long & Allen Ellender, Congressmen Hale Boggs & F. Edward Hebert were all prominent.  The relevant congressman from LC was T. Ashton Thompson.

This may also explain why most major Louisiana cities received planned bypasses in the original plan.

bwana39

Quote from: rlb2024 on June 03, 2023, 01:27:44 PM
Drawbridge??

I don't know of any drawbridge situation on any Interstate around Lake Charles.  There was, originally, a metal section at the top of the I-10 bridge over the Pearl River at the Louisiana-Mississippi border that could be removed if necessary to provide barge access to the Stennis Space Center (where the rocket engines for the Apollo missions and subsequent space programs were tested).  It was never used and was replaced with a permanent concrete section several years ago.

There had been  a drawbridge across the Calcasieu River south of the lake before the US-90 bridge was built, but it was long gone before I-210. (appears to be gone, except for the part that is still there as a pier, by 1955.). There was a perceived need for a bridge south of the lake, but there was little direct correlation between the two.  The eastern portion of I-210 wasn't finished until the mid 1970's. Chenault AFB closed soon after the I-210 construction had begun. Obviously, the original idea was to service McNeese and the base.

Oh and the idea of bypassing on I-210.. I-210 goes through more densely developed areas overall than I-10. Always has.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

rlb2024

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on June 03, 2023, 06:11:15 PM
Regardless of why I-210 was built, it definitely serves a need. I doubt many folks use it as a true bypass, however.
I used to use it all the time when traveling between Beaumont and/or Sulphur and home in southeast Louisiana.  Going through downtown LCH and fighting the traffic around the I-10 bridge was such a pain that I gladly took 210.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: bwana39 on June 03, 2023, 06:51:45 PM
Quote from: rlb2024 on June 03, 2023, 01:27:44 PM
Drawbridge??

There had been  a drawbridge across the Calcasieu River south of the lake before the US-90 bridge was built, but it was long gone before I-210. (appears to be gone except for the part that is still there as a pier by 1955.). There was a perceived need for a bridge south of the lake, but there was little direct correlation between the two.  The eastern portion of I-210 wasn't finished until the mid 1970's. Chenault AFB closed soon after the I-210 construction had begun. Obviously, the original idea was to service McNeese and the base.

Oh and the idea of bypassing on I-210.. I-210 goes through more densely developed areas overall than I-10. Always has.

Ahhhh, forgot about Chennault. That's now the site for the National Weather Service's Lake Charles office, right? It got busted up pretty good when Hurricane Laura smashed through Lake Charles in 2020.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.