News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Rick Powell

Quote from: ITB on October 04, 2022, 06:55:03 PM
So, the bearings used in bridge construction are most likely a high-grade steel alloy, with no titanium. I, too, am not an expert, and have very limited knowledge of materials science, so if anyone knows, in fact, what bridge bearings are made of, please chime in.
Here's a good intro to what bridge bearings are made of...for heavy duty applications "pot" bearings are often used consisting of stainless steel, rubber or rubber-like elastomer compounds, and brass seals. It is noted that, when confined, rubber is one of the most incompressible materials out there.
http://www.cosmecinc.com/Pot%20Bearings

Avalanchez71

So is this experimental construction or sound practice construction? 

tdindy88

I drove through I-69 down to Martinsville yesterday and saw that it apparently is now four lanes all the way through Morgan County. For most of the year it had been down to one lane in each direction while they SLOWLY did touch up work to the lanes and bridges along the corridor. But it was smooth sailing south of Banta Road (Morgan County one) and the highway looked great.

It was cool seeing all the signage with Evansville as the control city for southbound and Indianapolis for northbound. I do like the consistent usage of Bloomington as a secondary control city on the mileage signs, definitely the way to go. I'm still not too hot on using Reuben Drive and Hospital Drive at the SR 44/252 interchange. I still think it should be SR 44 Franklin and SR 252 Morgantown.

As I may have eluded to on another thread, I hate the North Split construction project. Among the things I hate about it is that they really don't mention much about the actual progress of that project or are very good at letting people know exactly what's going on and what's left to go. Even now I can't really tell what else has to be done up there. But the I-69 Finish Line project is being handled very appropriately. You can tell exactly what's happening and what the current progress, everything is on track and the end result so far has been pretty good. I can't wait to see this finished in a couple of years.

ITB

More pictures. Photos were take Sunday, October 9, 2022, unless otherwise noted.

Looking north from the State Road 144 overpass in Johnson County. Not quite sure whether that's a lady truck driver in a bikini top or an illusion of some sort.

The view in the other direction; looking south from the SR 144 overpass. Work is now well underway on the new southbound mainline bridge over Bluff Creek.

The rebar cage of the south parapet wall of the SR 144 overpass; looking east. Inside the cage are the electrical conduits for the bridge's street lights as well as lighting for any signage that might be put up.

Here's the conduit on the eastern end of the bridge; it's tagged "hot," as electrical current is flowing.

With the long range lens, looking north from the SR 144 overpass. In the deep background is the partially built Smith Valley Road overpass, and beyond that, the Angel Animal Hospital structure. The distance from the SR 144 overpass to the animal hospital is roughly four miles. For a higher quality picture, a better lens is needed, the kind that cost $1500 to $3000. I'm not quite ready to go down that path yet, so for the time being I'm sticking with what I've got.

Another look south from the SR 144 overpass. Just beyond the curve is the temporary traffic light at Banta Road. There's a Banta Road in Marion County and a Banta Road in Johnson County, and they both intersect with State Road 37. However, when I-69 completes, Johnson's Banta Road will be sealed off, while Banta in Marion County will go under I-69.

Expansion joint between the approach slab and the SR 144 bridge; looking north.

Equipment, perhaps GPS, on the parapet wall of the SR 144 overpass; looking north.

The south abutment of the bridge that will carry the southbound on-ramp from SR 144 over Bluff Creek; looking southeast.

Close up of the electrical conduit inside the rebar cage of the north parapet wall of the SR 144 bridge.

Another look north from the SR overpass. In this vicinity, all traffic has been temporarily placed on the recently completed northbound roadway.

Another look south. As more residential developments sprout up in southern Johnson County, AADT on I-69 is likely to bump up.

The abutments of the southbound mainline bridge over Bluff Creek; looking slightly southeast.

bmeiser

QuoteLooking north from the State Road 144 overpass in Johnson County. Not quite sure whether that's a lady truck driver in a bikini top or an illusion of some sort

I think it's a dude wearing an unfortunate skin-colored shirt with a teal stripe or patch across the chest.

Pixel 6

ITB

Quote from: Life in Paradise on October 04, 2022, 01:43:49 PM
Thanks ITB.  I'm going to be traveling up through there in about two and a half weeks.  We have had such a dry fall so far that I'm expecting them to be on if not ahead of schedule with all of the favorable weather.

Pleased to hear the pictures are of interest. And, to be sure, it's been quite dry weather wise the past couple of months. That's not all that good for agriculture, but great for road building.   

And speaking of agriculture, the fall harvest is now underway in Indiana. From what I understand it's going to decent year, about average, but not as good as 2021. Even though I've never had any association with farming, none whatsoever, I've been consuming some farm life videos on YouTube of late. Quite interesting. Modern farm machinery is something else. Here's a sampling of videos, all well worth a look:

Laura Farms

Millennial Farmer

Kate's Ag

Harmless Farmer

Sadly, Andy Detwiler, aka Harmless Farmer, passed away just a couple of weeks ago. His story is inspirational and moving.

Quote from: bmeiser on October 10, 2022, 09:28:54 PM
QuoteLooking north from the State Road 144 overpass in Johnson County. Not quite sure whether that's a lady truck driver in a bikini top or an illusion of some sort

I think it's a dude wearing an unfortunate skin-colored shirt with a teal stripe or patch across the chest.

More likely than not, that's probably correct.

More photos coming up.

ITB

Another batch. Again, photos were taken Sunday, October 9, 2022.

Northbound mainline bridge over Banta Road in Marion County; looking northeast.

Looking east toward Wicker Road and the mainline bridges over Wicker. In the foreground, a stack of storm drains.

Near the mainline bridges over Wicker.

Looking southeast from Wicker Road toward the southbound mainline bridge over Pleasant Run Creek.

Mainline bridges over Wicker; looking east.

Belmont Road/Banta Road intersection in Marion County; looking north. Banta Road is about a 1/2 mile north of Southport Road. The northbound mainline bridge over Banta, pictured above and below, is to the right, just out of view.

Another view of the northbound mainline bridge over Banta; looking northeast.

ITB

And one more batch. Photos were taken Sunday, October 9, 2022.

Piles for the bridge that will carry Epler Ave. over Interstate 69 in southern Marion County; looking east. After being pounded into the ground, these pipe piles are filled with concrete. I'm not sure whether any rebar has been placed in the these piles prior to their concrete pours. Some of the piles, which were recently filled, have been capped with plastic sheeting to ensure proper curing. In regard to the very tall piles in the background, I haven't seen driven piles that tall before. Evidently, they hit bedrock not too deep below the surface. Bear in mind, this is an area with numerous quarries. Those tall piles will be cut to the appropriate height.

Closer look of the pile driving rigging.

The area site where the I-69/I-465 system interchange will be constructed; looking northwest from Epler Avenue. At this time, it's hard to determine to any specificity where I-69 will be located, but in a general sense, it's coming in from the right and heading in a northwest direction right through that mound area on the right. Semis in the background are trucking on I-465.

Looking east toward Epler Ave., with the piles the Epler overpass in the background.

Another perspective of the Epler overpass piles; looking southeast.

Entrance off Epler Ave. to the I-465 work zone; looking northeast. I-69, roughly, will be cutting through from right to left, mid-frame, going behind the trees on the left. The downtown towers of Indianapolis are in the background.

Another view Epler Ave. leading up the overpass work zone; looking east. This is a quiet, somewhat isolated area of Indianapolis. Although there's a modest-sized neighborhood of older homes on large lots to the west, this particular area was quiet – at least it was on Sunday – with a touch of ruralness. More toward the east, near State Road 37, it becomes more industrial in nature, with truck stops and other various light industrial businesses.

Again, the piles of the Epler overpass, with a trucking facility in the background; looking east.

One more of the crane and the pile driving rigging at Epler; looking east.

That's all for now. When pile driving begins at the I-465 work zone, I'll venture into that area again. From what I could see nothing much, visual-wise, has changed over the past several months. Of course, work is ongoing, but it mainly involves utility relocation, drainage infrastructure, and some earthwork. A recent visual of the work area can be viewed via GSV on westbound I-465.

Captain Jack

I noticed the mileage signs to Evansville actually increased between the first two coming out of Indianapolis.

edwaleni

ITB shared:

Another view Epler Ave. leading up the overpass work zone; looking east. This is a quiet, somewhat isolated area of Indianapolis. Although there's a modest-sized neighborhood of older homes on large lots to the west, this particular area was quiet – at least it was on Sunday – with a touch of ruralness. More toward the east, near State Road 37, it becomes more industrial in nature, with truck stops and other various light industrial businesses.

That neighborhood is called "Sunshine Gardens" and was the original Fletcher Farm until it was subdivided in the 1920's.

The lots promised "a home and two acres".

The brief history of this neighborhood can be located here:

https://www.class900indy.com/post/an-island-in-the-sun-the-sunshine-gardens-neighborhood-of-indianapolis

However, the encroachment of industry and population is beginning to have an impact on them, new roads, polluted wells and nearly surrounded by gravel pits.

https://nuvo.newsnirvana.com/news/how-indys-coal-ash-ponds-can-pollute-neighborhood-wells/article_4c2ffdfa-e36f-5fe6-89ec-dec1e3b2b233.html

The original Fletcher Farm silos still stand at Newhart & Concord Streets.

ITB

Quote from: edwaleni on October 11, 2022, 08:16:46 PM
ITB shared:

That neighborhood is called "Sunshine Gardens" and was the original Fletcher Farm until it was subdivided in the 1920's.

https://www.class900indy.com/post/an-island-in-the-sun-the-sunshine-gardens-neighborhood-of-indianapolis

However, the encroachment of industry and population is beginning to have an impact on them, new roads, polluted wells and nearly surrounded by gravel pits.

https://nuvo.newsnirvana.com/news/how-indys-coal-ash-ponds-can-pollute-neighborhood-wells/article_4c2ffdfa-e36f-5fe6-89ec-dec1e3b2b233.html

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

IndyAgent

Quote from: edwaleni on October 11, 2022, 08:16:46 PM
ITB shared:

It would not be good to have those big solos in your side yard

davewiecking

https://twitter.com/thebiggreenw/status/1583528129527975936

Includes a nice overhead photo of I-465 interchange area...

Editing to add: can anybody identify this intersection? From the 2 SWR basins, it seems like I-69/IN-37 crossing under W. Southport Road?

ilpt4u

Huh, it is almost like if you use a professional construction company, like Walsh, projects move and get done.

When you do that, whatever the Bloomington segment situation was called, you end up with delays, problems, and blah, until InDOT killed it and basically put Walsh in charge to finish that

IndyAgent

I was wondering about the northbound exit to County Line Road. None of the plans I have looked at talk about it and currently you have to go the traffic light at Fairview to access County Line Road. Do any of you know if there will be a northbound exit to County Line Road?

davewiecking

Quote from: IndyAgent on October 28, 2022, 10:18:57 AM
I was wondering about the northbound exit to County Line Road. None of the plans I have looked at talk about it and currently you have to go the traffic light at Fairview to access County Line Road. Do any of you know if there will be a northbound exit to County Line Road?

Google maps shows a dog bone interchange, including greyed in ramps. GSV from a month ago shows most ramps built.

ITB

Quote from: IndyAgent on October 28, 2022, 10:18:57 AM

There definitely will be a northbound exit to County Line Road. In fact, I believe it's open now. The ramp is slightly atypical, as, northbound, you cross over County Line Road, then swing around to intersect with a traffic circle.

To see the schematic of the interchange, check out the map section (corridor highlights) of I-69 Finish Line.

IndyAgent

roadman65

It will be great when completed. Evansville and Indy will have a direct freeway and I-69 will be from the Ohio River to the Canadian Border.

I doubt anytime soon we'll, see a Memphis to Canada interstate, but possibly a Union City, TN to Port Huron continuous interstate in about five years..
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tdindy88

I just drove north along SR 37 from Bloomington all the way to I-465. As for County Line Rd, the turn off for the exit is just north of the Fairview intersection. It looks open, it appears that the ramp goes along the still-under construction portion of the northbound lanes of I-69 up to the County Line Rd exit itself.

Interestingly, just north of the exit I saw a new mileage sign. It gives the distances to Southport at 2 miles and Indianapolis at 5 miles. Well, let's start with the first destination. Southport "Road" is 2 miles away from this point. The actual city of Southport is like another three miles to the east. Secondly, Downtown Indianapolis is definitely not five miles away, I-465 more or less is.

Also, there was another new sign I noticed just north of Smith Valley Road. I have no idea why it says this but the sign read "Tribute of Honey Creek." Tributary I imagine?

bmeiser

QuoteSecondly, Downtown Indianapolis is definitely not five miles away, I-465 more or less is.

Not to mention, the city limits are at county line road.

Pixel 6

pianocello

Quote from: roadman65 on October 28, 2022, 12:12:15 PM
It will be great when completed. Evansville and Indy will have a direct freeway and I-69 will be from the Ohio River to the Canadian Border.

I doubt anytime soon we'll, see a Memphis to Canada interstate, but possibly a Union City, TN to Port Huron continuous interstate in about five years..

It'll be closer to ten. I believe the new Ohio River bridge is almost fully funded, but we're still waiting on design and construction. But it's a definite thing at this point.

I'm just excited for the stretch south of Indianapolis to be done so I can drive to Chicago without going through Terre Haute.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

mgk920

Quote from: pianocello on October 29, 2022, 10:01:04 AM

It'll be closer to ten. I believe the new Ohio River bridge is almost fully funded, but we're still waiting on design and construction. But it's a definite thing at this point.

I'm just excited for the stretch south of Indianapolis to be done so I can drive to Chicago without going through Terre Haute.

Then upgrade US 41 in Indiana to become 'I-41'.    :poke:

<DUCKS! and RUNS!>

Mike

westerninterloper

Quote from: pianocello on October 29, 2022, 10:01:04 AM

Finally, the new Terre Haute East Bypass, I-65 out of Chicago, to Indy, then I-69 to Evansville, will be complete. World's Longest at 354 miles.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.