Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmeiser

What makes the route illegal for trucks?

Pixel 7

JREwing78

tdindy88

This may be of some interest to people around here but INDOT has released the signage plans for their project next year to add mileage signs along I-69 from Bloomington to Evansville and update the control city signage for northbound I-69.

A few observations:
-Mileage signs are typical for INDOT: next exit, secondary control and main control city. Going southbound Bloomington is the main secondary control city and then Washington and then I-64. Northbound secondary control is Washington and then Bloomington. Interestingly they mainly list state highway and road names for the first line. I would have thought that places like Crane, Petersburg and Oakland City would be on the signs but instead just their highways (US 231, SR 61 and SR 64 respectively are signed.) On other Indiana interstates you typically would get three communities listed. A little interesting but not too bad.

-The mileage signs along the old I-164 in Evansville appear to be mainly staying. South of I-64 there's one new mileage sign near the US 41 interchange listing the distance to Henderson. Heading north from Evansville the first mention of Indianapolis on a mileage sign is near I-64.

-As expected, Indianapolis is the official northbound control city starting at US 41 in Evansville. And the city name will be added to existing signs were there's currently a blank space. Evansville is the official southbound control city for the entire highway as well. South of I-64 Evansville is being added to all signs for southbound I-69 all the way to the Green River Road exit (the US 41 exit just signs Veterans Memorial Parkway as it currently does today.) There is NO mention of Henderson or any other community south of Evansville along I-69 with the exception of the existing signs at the I-64 exit and one mileage sign near US 41. I'm guessing that when they complete the I-69 bridge over the Ohio River they will mention a Kentucky control city at that point.

-Finally, as expected the signage around Bloomington and points north will be removing the SR 37 shields on them for when the highway is officially decommissioned.

And now a view of the mileage signs being planned along I-69. The signs in this image are ordered from south to north and feature both directions (one sign for south of US 50 and one for north of US 50 for instance.)

The next image shows the main control city signs at the individual interchanges and how they will change from their current view.

The last image shows a view of the sign bridge on northbound I-69 at I-64 with the new signage showing Indianapolis for the northbound control.

ilpt4u

Putting "US 50"  and "Washington"  as separate lines on a SB sign is kinda dumb, but overall, these signage additions and updates have been overdue for a while now. Better Late than Never!

pianocello

This is pretty cool! Do you have a link to the signage plans (if they're even publicly available)?

Also, what
Quote from: tdindy88 on December 22, 2022, 09:17:34 PM
South of I-64 Evansville is being added to all signs for southbound I-69 all the way to the Green River Road exit (the US 41 exit just signs Veterans Memorial Parkway as it currently does today.)

The southernmost four interchanges are in Evansville. And if you're going from SR 66 WB to almost any point in Evansville, it makes more sense to continue straight onto the Lloyd Expressway than to exit onto I-69 SB. The same is true for other Evansville interchanges, but to a lesser extent.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

tdindy88

Quote from: pianocello on December 23, 2022, 11:58:59 AM
This is pretty cool! Do you have a link to the signage plans (if they're even publicly available)?

Also, what
South of I-64 Evansville is being added to all signs for southbound I-69 all the way to the Green River Road exit (the US 41 exit just signs Veterans Memorial Parkway as it currently does today.)

The southernmost four interchanges are in Evansville. And if you're going from SR 66 WB to almost any point in Evansville, it makes more sense to continue straight onto the Lloyd Expressway than to exit onto I-69 SB. The same is true for other Evansville interchanges, but to a lesser extent.

https://erms.indot.in.gov/viewdocs/ is the website. Enter in the number 42411 for the contract number and click Select Documents. Once there go to Plan/Drawing Sets. There should be 7 files you can download which cover the various stretches of the highway, it goes into detail around each interchange what the plans are. Though I should mention that the first three set of plans mainly show the existence signage and it's midway through the fourth one where they start showing the new signs.

As for the I-69/Lloyd interchange I would argue that if your destination is Downtown Evansville and you're coming in from Newburgh I-69 might be a quicker route. The Lloyd is famous after all for being a traffic hell. Traveling east through that interchange however...the usage of Evansville is more questionable. But due to the curve of the highway there's not much you can do about that. Even putting Henderson there wouldn't make it any better.

Life in Paradise

I will wonder when someone tells INDOT that these have Boonville-New Harmony Road spelled incorrectly.  I remember when the Lloyd Expressway was under construction in the 80s, I saw a mileage sign on the unopened downtown section state "Wineback" than the correct German "Weinbach".  It was changed by the time the road opened, I believe.

edwaleni

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 22, 2022, 09:46:45 PM
Putting "US 50"  and "Washington"  as separate lines on a SB sign is kinda dumb, but overall, these signage additions and updates have been overdue for a while now. Better Late than Never!

So was building a major north-south interstate (I-69) right next to a 4 lane federal highway bypass (US-50). They could have shared ROW for 3 miles and saved millions.

sturmde

Quote from: edwaleni on December 23, 2022, 01:25:06 PM

So was building a major north-south interstate (I-69) right next to a 4 lane federal highway bypass (US-50). They could have shared ROW for 3 miles and saved millions.

That's very doubtful.  Too many adjacent properties that would have needed to be bought out, the problem with perpendicular traffic overlay (which causes problems at I-70/57, I-70/79, and so forth), and grade and drainage.  Probably would have cost millions more, and then also forced heavy agricultural traffic back onto 50's old route since they can use US 50, but can't use I-69.

wanderer2575

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 23, 2022, 12:17:25 PM
Quote from: pianocello on December 23, 2022, 11:58:59 AM

Also, what

https://erms.indot.in.gov/viewdocs/ is the website. Enter in the number 42411 for the contract number and click Select Documents. Once there go to Plan/Drawing Sets. There should be 7 files you can download which cover the various stretches of the highway, it goes into detail around each interchange what the plans are. Though I should mention that the first three set of plans mainly show the existence signage and it's midway through the fourth one where they start showing the new signs.

Thank you for this!  I love me a set of sign plans to look at, especially when I'm staying inside on a lousy day like today.

silverback1065

eh... no that wouldn't make any sense at all. you would have 2 exits right next to each other for 50 and an unneeded cosigning. plus the geometry wouldn't make any sense.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: Life in Paradise on December 23, 2022, 12:28:47 PM
I will wonder when someone tells INDOT that these have Boonville-New Harmony Road spelled incorrectly.  I remember when the Lloyd Expressway was under construction in the 80s, I saw a mileage sign on the unopened downtown section state "Wineback" than the correct German "Weinbach".  It was changed by the time the road opened, I believe.

Not to mention "US 168" ???

The Ghostbuster

US 168 followed present-day US 150 between Louisville and Mount Vernon, KY from 1926-1934. Did you mean Indiana State Highway 168?

abqtraveler

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 23, 2022, 08:31:38 PM
US 168 followed present-day US 150 between Louisville and Mount Vernon, KY from 1926-1934. Did you mean Indiana State Highway 168?
Yes, it should be SR-168, not US-168.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Life in Paradise

I actually thought that part of the original plan was to have I-69 join the bypass near the highway 57 intersection and then leave on the east side of Washington.  That was abandoned due to the fact that construction would have taken longer to incorporate the existing US 50 section rather than go with all new construction for the interstate.

RIndy

Hopefully INDOT sees this error of US 168 and change it to SR 168 before the signs are made.

abqtraveler

Not necessarily, as you would have to build at least one (and probably two) high-speed interchanges that would offset any potential savings of using the 4-lane US-50 alignment around Washington.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

jnewkirk77

I did. The plans have a "US 168," among too many other errors. It shouldn't be hard to proofread things before they print them, but it is INDOT we're talking about.  :rolleyes:

Scott5114

Why don't you send them an email pointing out the errors? It's a lot cheaper to fix the plans now than it would be to fix the signs after they get made this way.

I got a couple of KDOT plan sheets fixed that way once.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jnewkirk77

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 25, 2022, 05:30:26 PM
Why don't you send them an email pointing out the errors? It's a lot cheaper to fix the plans now than it would be to fix the signs after they get made this way.

I got a couple of KDOT plan sheets fixed that way once.

I actually have a couple extra days off this week, so I will do just that. Email sent this afternoon (12/26). Thanks for the suggestion!

ITB

Earlier today BigRigSteve of BigRigTravels drove past the I-69/I-465 system interchange work zone. The pertinent part of the video begins at 2:00:15. Of note, pile driving has commenced for the future bridges.

rte66man

Quote from: MikieTimT on December 26, 2022, 02:55:24 PM
Infographics YouTube video on the Interstate just got posted yesterday.  Of course, most of the comments were about the number! :-D

https://youtu.be/4anVYVJvtBI

Insane spam. Did you post it in EVERY i-69 thread in each region?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

silverback1065

Quote from: rte66man on December 27, 2022, 08:26:20 PM
Infographics YouTube video on the Interstate just got posted yesterday.  Of course, most of the comments were about the number! :-D

He did. when NE2 said spam I refused to click on it.  :-D Thought it was a malicious link.  :-D

MikieTimT

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 28, 2022, 08:11:25 AM
Quote from: rte66man on December 27, 2022, 08:26:20 PM

He did. when NE2 said spam I refused to click on it.  :-D Thought it was a malicious link.  :-D

It wasn't, but I got the message that I overposted and removed them anyway.

zzcarp

Quote from: ITB on December 27, 2022, 01:06:02 PM

Earlier today BigRigSteve of BigRigTravels drove past the I-69/I-465 system interchange work zone. The pertinent part of the video begins at 2:00:15. Of note, pile driving has commenced for the future bridges.

I drove through there on the 28th. You could see the piles, and if you look farther south to see the grading. I couldn't get pictures because of the traffic.

Speaking of which, I-465 between I-70 to past I-74 was just clobbered Wednesday around 4:30-5. I know it's rush hour, but this is a holiday week where commuting travel tends to be low. Is this a consistent slowdown area, and won't I-69 just add to the problems there?
So many miles and so many roads

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.