News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

You Know You're A Roadgeek If...

Started by Michael, June 09, 2009, 04:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desert Man

Palm Drive...which should be renamed Palm Road (the song's title), going from I-10 (Palm Springs city limits to Desert Hot Springs). The anime here is Urusei Yatsura ("Those annoying aliens").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QnENVF6Bv0
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

yakra

Looks very Rumiko Takahashi, though apparently she's got nothing to do with it.
*Wikipedia* O HAY there's a character called Kurumi!
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

MCRoads

Just put the point at which you realized you were a road geek, then when your family realized...

I knew when:
When I memorized all the major roads in the OKC metro.
I started to want a traffic drum (still don't have one :-( ).

My family knew when:
When I knew how to drive better than my parents.
A candlestick cone mysteriously appeared in my room  :-D .
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Max Rockatansky

When I saw some of the interchanges on the Lodge Freeway when I was three and I tried to replicate them in my sand box.

jp the roadgeek

My parents: When they used to take me for a ride to essentially the middle of nowhere when I was about 5, and I knew every route to get home.

Me: When I would read atlases when I was about 5 or 6 and would draw maps of Greater Hartford for my relatives, including the I-291 beltway.

Another relative:  When I was 5 and my great aunt took my cousin and I to the CT shore.  She always told me the story of how she took a certain way to get back to my house.  Apparently when we got there, I told her, "Well, if we had gone such and such a way, we would've got here 5 minutes sooner." 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

MNHighwayMan

I had my own term for construction barriers (cones, barrels, etc) back when I was ~five years old: "orangies."

In the second grade, I wrote an "essay" on how to get to my grandparents' house (in St. Cloud) from where I lived at the time in St. Paul. I remember that I mentioned I-94 at least once.

MCRoads

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 24, 2017, 12:30:11 AM
I had my own term for construction barriers (cones, barrels, etc) back when I was ~five years old: "orangies."

Lol, that's funny.

I used to call construction sites "obstacle courses" . I also used to build contraflow construction sites with blocks, but we never had enough blocks to satisfy me. It always ended up half finished.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

rickmastfan67

SSOWorld

Second's up (long ago) ;)

You know you're a roadgeek when you jump in the car and go cause of the 'damn' freeways!
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: SSOWorld on December 24, 2017, 08:36:17 PM
Second's up (long ago) ;)

You know you're a roadgeek when you jump in the car and go cause of the 'damn' freeways!

That is why I got hooked into roadways.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Hurricane Rex

When you are making running memes off of roadgeek stuff. Or taking selfies when running off road geeky stuff. Only do it on distance day though (10-22.5 miles).

I don't have photoshop so if complete it should say: Speed Limit 65, Joggers 60.

Running till I die.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 04, 2018, 01:54:10 AMI don't have photoshop so if complete it should say: Speed Limit 65, Joggers 60.
1-minute miles for joggers?  :confused:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 04, 2018, 08:47:10 AM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 04, 2018, 01:54:10 AMI don't have photoshop so if complete it should say: Speed Limit 65, Joggers 60.

The fastest a trained human is really capable of running would but 12-15 MPH anyways.  Looks like that guy is going by theory of its better run facing towards traffic than blindsided by it coming from your back.  Besides, the speed limit sign ought to on the right side of the road.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 04, 2018, 09:42:15 AMBesides, the speed limit sign ought to on the right side of the road.
Look a little closer at the photo.  The signs are for the highway to the left of it, not the two-laner on the right (which would have a lower speed limit); also note the small fence located to the right of the signs separating the two roadways.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 04, 2018, 10:00:20 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 04, 2018, 09:42:15 AMBesides, the speed limit sign ought to on the right side of the road.
Look a little closer at the photo.  The signs are for the highway to the left of it, not the two-laner on the right (which would have a lower speed limit); also note the small fence located to the right of the signs separating the two roadways.

I know, but the guy making the meme isn't aware of that.  Presumably because he isn't a "road geek"  and thought to would just make for an amusing photo meme. 

Hurricane Rex

1. A few members of my team wish they could go 65 mph in a race.
2. My pace limits are modeled off of speed limits:
Speed 50: 10:00 mile
Speed 55: 9:00 mile
Speed 60: 8:00 mile
Speed 65: 7:00 mile (most days/Marathon pace)
Speed 70: 6:15 mile (half marathon pace)
Speed 75: 5:30 mile (10k pace)
Speed 80: 5:00 mile (5k pace)
Speed 85: 4:30 mile (mile pace)
Speed 90: 4:00 mile
Speed 99 (I skip 95): As fast as you can go
15-second tolerance.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 04, 2018, 10:02:26 AM
Look a little closer at the photo.  The signs are for the highway to the left of it, not the two-laner on the right (which would have a lower speed limit (45)); also note the small fence located to the right of the signs separating the two roadways.

I know, but the guy making the meme isn't aware of that.  Presumably because he isn't a "road geek"  and thought to would just make for an amusing photo meme. 
I actually was aware of that because I rerouted my distance day to get to that sign because it was one of two speed limit 65 signs I could find that didn't require running on the freeway (route picture below). I would be a dead man with my parents or coach if I ran on the freeway. I would prefer the fence not being there but I have to make do with what I got.

If you can't tell yet, that's me in the picture and the meme was requested by one of my teammates.

Route for the day: (Errors if I resize it.) Originally supposed to be an out and back on the return route (goes counterclockwise in the loop).

And yes, I ran on the left side of the road for the blind side reason but switched back over in a quarter mile when bike lane/sidewalk resumed.

Running till I die.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 04, 2018, 11:57:35 AM
1. A few members of my team wish they could go 65 mph in a race.
15-second tolerance.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 04, 2018, 10:02:26 AM
Look a little closer at the photo.  The signs are for the highway to the left of it, not the two-laner on the right (which would have a lower speed limit (45)); also note the small fence located to the right of the signs separating the two roadways.

I actually was aware of that because I rerouted my distance day to get to that sign because it was one of two speed limit 65 signs I could find that didn't require running on the freeway (route picture below). I would be a dead man with my parents or coach if I ran on the freeway. I would prefer the fence not being there but I have to make do with what I got.

If you can't tell yet, that's me in the picture and the meme was requested by one of my teammates.

Route for the day: (Errors if I resize it.) Originally supposed to be an out and back on the return route (goes counterclockwise in the loop).

And yes, I ran on the left side of the road for the blind side reason but switched back over in a quarter mile when bike lane/sidewalk resumed.

Heh, that's amusing I didn't know that was you out there.  I've been a distance runner for about 20 years myself, we're around the same speed for the half marathon/full marathon distance.  A lot of my local sign finds have actually been out while I've been running in Fresno.  I found some old CA 180 mileage paddles on Kings Canyon Road that shouldn't be there recently:

180CAa by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_8028 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Incidentally running here in Fresno for the most part sucks.  There are a ton of county islands where this is no sidewalk, a narrow bike path, and no street lights.  I had to learn all the way safe routes around weird streets like Clovis Avenue, I'm finding the canals are flat enough to be safe in the dark without being a trip hazard.  The city I used to love running in was Orlando, FL 15 through downtown was a blast on the old brick alignment.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 04, 2018, 11:57:35 AM
15-second tolerance.

I just wish I could keep those paces. Right now, my best 10K was done at 5:31 km, i.e. 8:52 mile. And I'm now training for my first half...

That 32.2 km run at 4:39 km is really impressive.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

CNGL-Leudimin

... you are excited Big Rig Travels is going to cross craIG county (He has done so about half-a-hour ago).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

NE2

...your solution for global warming is to pray for cold.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 06, 2018, 04:05:47 PM
... you are excited Big Rig Travels is going to cross craIG county (He has done so about half-a-hour ago).
When you cant stop laughing at this post and said sign.

Running till I die.

qguy

I knew my son (roadsguy, who posts on this forum and is now 18) was a roadgeek at age 7. My wife's sister got lost with her kids somewhere in the distant suburbs north of Philadelphia and called me to see if I could help. While I was speaking on the phone, my son, who was listening, tugged on my pant leg and said, "Daddy, I can tell her where she is and how to get home." I suspected he could, and my sister-in-law was game, so I put him on the phone. He asked her a few questions and gave her correct directions on the most direct route home, which she happily followed. We all still laugh about that.

Of course, another clue was that every time we went out to eat, before the food came he would flip over his paper place mat and draw maps, roads, interchanges, and route shields.

Hurricane Rex

Your English paper is on a roadgeek subject and your the only one in class happy about it or you choose that to be the subject if no subject is given.

Running till I die.

Michael

...you're jealous of your friend who lives near a new DDI and has driven through it several times.

...you're even more jealous that that same friend is driving through it while on the phone with you.

...you notice you share a birthday with another roadgeek. (I just noticed that Scott5114 and I have the same birthday, and even the same birth year)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.