why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: AMLNet49 on November 13, 2014, 09:22:55 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2014, 09:18:25 AM
Then you forgot to mention the overhead exit signs as another feature most other roads do not do as well along with their style arrows on the overhead guides.

I was including all aspects or guide signage under "unique signage". My main point was about the Turnpike being it's own little world, that was more of an attitude they showed, which was reflected in all of the oddities, including signage.
Understood.  I was only supporting your point, that those signs are also part of the NJT's own little world as well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: motorway on November 13, 2014, 09:21:39 AM
On a semi-related note, I have often thought that the NJ Turnpike shouldn't necessarily post the same destinations northbound and southbound as they [mostly] do. For example, why post Camden as a destination for Exit 4 heading northbound when Exit 3 is much more convenient for Camden, especially since  Route 73 doesn't even come particularly close to entering Camden? (I'd go for Tacony Bridge instead like on 295) To a lesser extent, I also don't really see why Exit 10 heading south is signed for Perth Amboy when one can get off at Exit 11 for direct access to Pond Rd. (or a short distance to Route 440) into Perth Amboy. I remember in the old days (i.e., the glory days of my youth in the early to mid '90s) that the 1 mile advance sign for Exit 9 heading south was non-reflective and button copy that read "New Brunswick / Shore Resorts" (with the latter now on a separate supplemental advance sign along with Rutgers) rather than the usual "East Brunswick," although the "New / East" sign is there nowadays; it makes sense that they signed the Shore southbound only.

So, yeah, for the Exit 9-11 series, I would sign it as follows. Similar to roadman65, I am personally not averse to three-destination signage either.

Northbound
Exit 9: New Brunswick / East Brunswick / Somerville (once the Route 18 freeway is completed all the way to 287, at least)
Exit 10: Edison / Perth Amboy
Exit 11: Woodbridge / Paterson (with something about the NYS Thruway/Upstate NY on a supplemental guide sign)

Southbound
Exit 11: Woodbridge / Perth Amboy / Shore Points
Exit 10: Edison / Somerville
Exit 9: New Brunswick / East Brunswick

Honestly, I don't think that Somerville needs to be signed from the Turnpike like that. The only place I know Somerville is mentioned on 287 is on the exit signs for 13A-B NB, 17 and 13 SB, and on the ramps from 78 (which is a holdover from a long time ago and when those signs were replaced they never changed the legends). All pullthrough signs on 287 use Morristown, Mahwah, and Perth Amboy for control cities. That's not going to change anytime soon. New Brunswick and East Brunswick are the right destinations for 9, because, honestly, you're not going to get off at 9 and deal with the traffic on 18 and River Rd or Hoes Ln to get to 287 to get to 28 or 22 to go into Somerville. 10 should really reference Morristown and Perth Amboy with a secondary sign for Edison. 11 should mention Woodbridge as well as some one or two of the Parkway's new official destination points (Newark and Belmar maybe?). Hell, it would make more sense for them to sign 11 the way they sign 129 on the Parkway now, with half the sign for the Parkway and its destinations, and the other half for 9 and its destinations.

roadman65

Speaking of exit signing.  Are they ever going to remove the US 1 shields on the overheads post Exit 11 toll booths?  NJDOT took down the follow up trailbazing several decades ago along NJ 184 EB at NB US 9, as you must use US 9 to get to US 1 from here.  Plus the service road signing at the NJ 184 EB exit has the NORTH header for US 9 halfway over US 1 which gives it the illusion to motorists that its northbound US 1 & 9 and not US 9 to US 1 as it should be. 

I do not know how US 1 got to be on those signs as well as the original 3/4 mile guide southbound for Exit 11 that used to say "US 1 US 9- Woodbridge- The Amboys" which is why those signs still remain as they are left over from those days. Why NJDOT removed the TO US 1 shield on NJ 184 and why the US 1 shield on the Service Road is under a confusing misaligned header, I have no idea, but the fact remains you are sending motorists to a US route via a complex tangled interchange with no follow up signs at all!

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Simpler: add TO 1 signs on 184 east at the ramp to 9 north. Signage between an Interstate and its parallel surface route is useful.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

MikeSantNY78

Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2014, 09:18:25 AM
Oh yes it is disappearing.  It is another piece of history going just like the Garden State Parkway abandoning the Number Only exit tabs for the new and current MUTCD tabs, as well as the removal of other things that gave the Parkway an identity of its own.

Anyway, sad, but at the same time some needed to be up to date anyway.  Like adding NJ 495 to the Exit 16E guide which is long overdue.  However, the Turnpike still could have incorporated these things in their own way.

I am sad and happy at the same time for all of this as the pros and the cons are equal for me.  I do miss the original 10 miles on the tenth mileage signs for New York going NB and for Trenton, Camden, and the Delaware Memorial Bridge going SB as that was a unique feature that other roads did not do.  Then you forgot to mention the overhead exit signs as another feature most other roads do not do as well along with their style arrows on the overhead guides.
I remember on the NY Thruway (before they went MUTCD) the "Pa Line 70 Miles" sign at Exit 53 (the 90-190 split), the blue mile markers with just the number, the long horizontal arrows on exit signs (Exit 57 --------->); you weren't alone in Jersey, but You were the original. Google the name "Michael Surma" (not me - disclosure) - his archive of vintage highway signs is one of the most comprehensive, him and Steve Alps...

roadman65

Oh yes, each toll road, I am not going to say not, has had its own identity so to speak to make them unique.

The Pennsylvania Turnpike still has its interchange name on the top of the sign in all upper case, which is why the redundant "NORRISTOWN/ Norristown' at Exit 333 as many make a mockery of in this community (meaning roads in general not necessarily aaroads).

The Thruway and its old blue guide signs and its other features as you mention as well as the use of the name "Route" instead of US for US highways etc.

I said it before in a previous thread that the MUTCD is nationalizing, so to speak, the way each state and road agency signs their roads.  Making the whole signing practice uniform to live up to the "U" in MUTCD.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: MikeSantNY78 on November 14, 2014, 10:28:49 PM
I remember on the NY Thruway (before they went MUTCD) the "Pa Line 70 Miles" sign at Exit 53 (the 90-190 split), the blue mile markers with just the number, the long horizontal arrows on exit signs (Exit 57 --------->); you weren't alone in Jersey, but You were the original. Google the name "Michael Surma" (not me - disclosure) - his archive of vintage highway signs is one of the most comprehensive, him and Steve Alps...

Michael Summa (two m's). I have some of his photos but many others also feature some.

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on November 14, 2014, 01:43:09 PM
Speaking of exit signing.  Are they ever going to remove the US 1 shields on the overheads post Exit 11 toll booths?  NJDOT took down the follow up trailbazing several decades ago along NJ 184 EB at NB US 9, as you must use US 9 to get to US 1 from here.  Plus the service road signing at the NJ 184 EB exit has the NORTH header for US 9 halfway over US 1 which gives it the illusion to motorists that its northbound US 1 & 9 and not US 9 to US 1 as it should be. 

I do not know how US 1 got to be on those signs as well as the original 3/4 mile guide southbound for Exit 11 that used to say "US 1 US 9- Woodbridge- The Amboys" which is why those signs still remain as they are left over from those days. Why NJDOT removed the TO US 1 shield on NJ 184 and why the US 1 shield on the Service Road is under a confusing misaligned header, I have no idea, but the fact remains you are sending motorists to a US route via a complex tangled interchange with no follow up signs at all!

I think the Turnpike Authority still handles those signs. They were done to NJDOT spec, but I think the NJSHA put those signs up in the early 90s when they replaced most of the signage around 129. With the new changes to signage, maybe they'll change it.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NE2 on November 04, 2014, 05:17:17 PM
Quote from: Steve D on November 04, 2014, 04:59:59 PM
One of the studies included alternatives analysis (approximately 10 or so) which included some cool concepts - one or two even included relocating Exit 14A into Jersey City right next to 14B.  Not sure if this is still out there...
http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/documents/EO%20215%20Environmental%20Impact%20Statement,%20November%202011.pdf Appendix D.

Now posted on the NJTA website appears to be the preferred design:

http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/documents/PIC_fact_sheet_November_2014.pdf

The image on the 1st page shows a roundabout to help facilitate traffic to/from the toll plaza and nearby surface streets.  There are two separate ways to both enter and exit the roundabout to/from the toll plaza, along with 2 phantom roadways.  When you go to page two does it become clear...there'll be an overpass over the roundabout!

Definitely some creative thinking that took part to come up with that design!

jeffandnicole

This may be the first fatal in the newly widened section of the Turnpike since it fully opened. 

http://6abc.com/news/1-dead-in-fiery-tractor-trailer-crash-on-nj-turnpike/401571/

(Side note, which is how I found out about this story: a VMS on I-295 near Exit 22, about an hour south of the accident, mentioned the turnpike was closed at Exit 8; Seek Alt Routes)

storm2k

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 18, 2014, 11:16:08 PM
This may be the first fatal in the newly widened section of the Turnpike since it fully opened. 

http://6abc.com/news/1-dead-in-fiery-tractor-trailer-crash-on-nj-turnpike/401571/

(Side note, which is how I found out about this story: a VMS on I-295 near Exit 22, about an hour south of the accident, mentioned the turnpike was closed at Exit 8; Seek Alt Routes)

One thing I will say for NJDOT is that they are trying to be a lot better about using the VMS's they've installed on a number of roads across the state to better put out information. I will routinely see messages warning about major delays on the Turnpike on both 287 and Rt 1 before you hit the Turnpike. Maybe there isn't a better way to your destination, but you'll be able to contemplate the options. I think that at times the NJTA has dumbed down the messages they can put on their signs a little too much, like the dumb "Delays Ahead Reduce Speed" and such they'll put up. I'd rather know how long the delay is and to where and I'll come up with another way to reach my destination.

Alps

I'll find out a lot more tomorrow. Hoping that this is unrelated to the widening and just the sort of thing that unfortunately happens. Was one of the trucks following too closely? Drifted out of his lane/fell asleep? Ice patch on the roadway? (It hasn't rained in a few days, so that shouldn't happen.)

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on November 18, 2014, 11:25:37 PM
I'll find out a lot more tomorrow. Hoping that this is unrelated to the widening and just the sort of thing that unfortunately happens. Was one of the trucks following too closely? Drifted out of his lane/fell asleep? Ice patch on the roadway? (It hasn't rained in a few days, so that shouldn't happen.)

Doesn't seem to have anything to do with the widening itself, nor weather since it's cold here but no precip, likely just one of those things like you said.

jeffandnicole

NJDOT is much better on their VMS displays (usually).  This morning, before the truck lanes reopened, a few VMSs along 295 had this message:

NJTPK NORTH
OUTER ROADWAY CLOSED
USE INNER ROADWAY

I remember back when NJDOT only had a few VMS units.  They would display basic messages like "Delays Ahead".  If there was an accident, it would only be announced if it was blocking a travel lane.  Once the accident was moved to the shoulder, the sign would be deleted even though a huge backup would remain.

I wish they would eliminate the Silver Alerts though.  Too many of them.

However, Saturday, I was on 295 approaching the 295/42/76 interchange.  Nothing mentioned on the signs.  Yet, there was a good, slow 2 mile backup approaching the interchange, as a lane was closed and Exit 27 was closed.  It would've been nice to know this so traffic could've taken an alternate route (US 130), Used Exit 26 rather than 27 (both lead to I-76; just different sides of the highway), or just have been prepared for the delay.  They usually are pretty good about posting construction type activities. They completely missed this one though.  (Even worse, KYW1060 had nothing on their reports either.)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 18, 2014, 11:16:08 PM

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/new_jersey/20141119_ap_479ccc4d19d34c239a3a1686e0f1dee3.html

Per the article, a truck rammed another truck in the center lane, causing the accident.  150 feet of roadway had to be milled and repaved.  Article doesn't state if a truck was going too slow or too fast.

J Route Z

Holy crap! That is crazy. So many incidents it's hard to keep track. I wonder what work remains in the project limits. Probably signage, lighting, and some left over paving in certain areas.

02 Park Ave

Does the widening of the southbound outer carriageway frrom Exit 9 to Exit 8A still remain to be done?
C-o-H

cpzilliacus

Philly.com: What a relief extra lanes on the N.J. Turnpike are

QuoteWhat a difference a few extra lanes make.

QuoteThe 35-mile stretch of the New Jersey Turnpike from Mansfield in Burlington County to East Brunswick in Middlesex County was dreaded by motorists, who were regularly held up in annoying traffic jams.

QuoteBut now - a few weeks after the completion of a $2.3 billion widening project - many are singing the turnpike's praises, even as the major artery faces its first big test: the Thanksgiving weekend, with the year's heaviest volume.

QuoteThe usual stop-and-crawl delays of a half-hour to nearly an hour - especially on the Wednesdays before the holiday - should be history, officials said. No more backups of 11 miles northbound and nine miles southbound - the standard for travel on the day before Thanksgiving.

Quote"We expect people who use Route 1 and I-295 and other local roads may find the turnpike a more palatable alternative, because the traffic is flowing more freely," said Tom Feeney, a New Jersey Turnpike Authority spokesman. "You used to see people sitting in traffic, and now you're not."
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 26, 2014, 04:09:24 AM
Philly.com: What a relief extra lanes on the N.J. Turnpike are
QuoteThe usual stop-and-crawl delays of a half-hour to nearly an hour - especially on the Wednesdays before the holiday - should be history, officials said. No more backups of 11 miles northbound and nine miles southbound - the standard for travel on the day before Thanksgiving.

Um, talk about being kind.  Backups that started after interchange 5 and went all the way to after the split at 8A - a distance of over 25 miles, were common.  Going southbound, Interchange 9 was often the starting point, and traffic didn't start moving again until after interchange 6.

Even most summer weekends, traffic would congest for 15 - 25 miles in each direction.

And the time lost?  Well over an hour in most cases.  Half Hour jams would have been welcomed by motorists.

jeffandnicole

Continuing from that same article:

"Now it's totally different, like night and day," he said. "At least you can do the speed limit."

That's what New Jersey state police will be checking.

"We'll see how it goes over the holidays," said Capt. Eric Heitmann, trooper commander for the turnpike and Garden State Parkway. "We've added some additional patrols in the last few weeks.

"We haven't noticed any added speed. The traffic is moving, but we haven't seen the racetrack element."

Exaggerated note to self:  Keep it under 150 mph and don't put a big number and sponsor stickers on vehicle.

jeffandnicole

As of noontime, the www.511nj.org is showing 'green' (clear sailing) in the Exit 6 - 9 vicinity of the Turnpike.  However, Between Interchange 6 & 1 Southbound, a normal 50 minute or so drive is taking 1 hour, 45 minutes, with most of that delay occurring between Interchange 3 & 1.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 26, 2014, 12:01:59 PM
As of noontime, the www.511nj.org is showing 'green' (clear sailing) in the Exit 6 - 9 vicinity of the Turnpike.  However, Between Interchange 6 & 1 Southbound, a normal 50 minute or so drive is taking 1 hour, 45 minutes, with most of that delay occurring between Interchange 3 & 1.

Wish the Turnpike Authority would widen the southbound side of the Turnpike south of Interchange 2 and put in a barrier-separated E-ZPass Only lane at least as far back as the Clara Barton service plaza.

The NYSTA has done something similar on the southbound Thruway approaching Woodbury (Interchange 16), though IMO it is not long enough. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 26, 2014, 12:11:42 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 26, 2014, 12:01:59 PM

Wish the Turnpike Authority would widen the southbound side of the Turnpike south of Interchange 2 and put in a barrier-separated E-ZPass Only lane at least as far back as the Clara Barton service plaza.

The NYSTA has done something similar on the southbound Thruway approaching Woodbury (Interchange 16), though IMO it is not long enough. 

Delaware's I-95 SB barrier is about a mile, back to Exit 1. 

The Clara Barton Service Plaza is about 2.5 miles away from the Int 1 toll plaza, so I don't think a barrier that long is needed.  For the most part, there aren't any delays with the EZ Pass/Cash traffic.  Even today, it appeared the main culprit of the delay was an accident slightly south of Interchange 2, so it had nothing to do with the toll plaza.

What I would like to see is an additional lane (or 2) from that service plaza to the toll plaza.  They can be 4 continuous lanes so closer to the plaza, the 2 left lanes can go to the EZ Pass lanes and the 2 right lanes can go to the cash lanes. 

There's 2 Express EZ Pass lanes & 14 traditional toll lanes at the toll plaza.  On most days, the left 6 or so traditional lanes are dedicated for EZ Pass Only, and the right 8 lanes are a mixture of closed, EZ Pass Only and Cash.  Obviously, most EZ Pass customers will use the Express EZ Pass lanes, so those traditional booth EZ Pass Only lanes get very minimal use at best.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 26, 2014, 03:52:41 PM
Delaware's I-95 SB barrier is about a mile, back to Exit 1.
That sounds about right.  2 lanes each way.

The Clara Barton Service Plaza is about 2.5 miles away from the Int 1 toll plaza, so I don't think a barrier that long is needed.  For the most part, there aren't any delays with the EZ Pass/Cash traffic.  Even today, it appeared the main culprit of the delay was an accident slightly south of Interchange 2, so it had nothing to do with the toll plaza.

The Turnpike Authority presumably wants as many patrons as possible to stop at Clara Barton (and every time I have stopped there, it seems to be busy), so they do not want to prevent E-ZPass drivers from stopping there.  So a barrier-separated E-ZPass only lane needs to ideally start someplace south of there, with enough space for vehicles exiting the service plaza to be able to enter that E-ZPass only lane.

What I would like to see is an additional lane (or 2) from that service plaza to the toll plaza.  They can be 4 continuous lanes so closer to the plaza, the 2 left lanes can go to the EZ Pass lanes and the 2 right lanes can go to the cash lanes.

Since the Turnpike is only 2 lanes each way there, I think 1 lane might be enough for E-ZPass, as long as it is barrier-separated from the right lanes

There's 2 Express EZ Pass lanes & 14 traditional toll lanes at the toll plaza.  On most days, the left 6 or so traditional lanes are dedicated for EZ Pass Only, and the right 8 lanes are a mixture of closed, EZ Pass Only and Cash.  Obviously, most EZ Pass customers will use the Express EZ Pass lanes, so those traditional booth EZ Pass Only lanes get very minimal use at best.

I presume that toll plaza was dimensioned before it became obvious that E-ZPass penetration would be so high.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 27, 2014, 12:33:16 AM

Since the Turnpike is only 2 lanes each way there, I think 1 lane might be enough for E-ZPass, as long as it is barrier-separated from the right lanes

I would never do less than 2 lanes, for the simple fact that you get some people that aren't familiar with the lanes and decide to slow down, trying to figure out what to do, or if they're in the correct lane.  A single lane would bottleneck the entire 'express' part of the system.  This toll plaza is the only one I've ever seen in EZ Pass land that permits passing thru the EZ Pass sensors. 

But as the size of the plaza and the holding area for the traditional lanes is so large, the toll plaza itself hasn't had issues keeping EZ Pass and Cash traffic separate.  At all of NJ's Express EZ Pass plazas - on the Turnpike, GSP & Parkway - all contain very short barrier separation walls, and I've never encountered a problem with keeping cash & EZ Pass traffic separated.  The only thing a longer separation barrier would do is move the split further back.

I presume that toll plaza was dimensioned before it became obvious that E-ZPass penetration would be so high.

The original design didn't even include Express EZ Pass lanes.  Before it was built, it was redesigned to remove the inner 3 traditional toll lanes in each direction, making them 2 Express EZ Pass lanes. 

But there's other areas of the turnpike where they are still adding toll lanes:  Exit 7A added 3 lanes, Exit 8 was rebuilt from 5 to 10 lanes, and Exits 12 and 14A are being enlarged as well, even though EZ Pass usage is large and still growing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.