News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storm2k

For now it just has the rejiggered "Next Exit X miles" that substitutes a keep left message sign with a yellow sign above it saying "Toll Plaza X miles" for the 18W plaza.

EricJV95

Ok. LISTEN AND LISTEN TO ME GOOD !!!!!

For the following Exits from the N.J. Turnpike, This is what these signs SHOULD READ: AND DON'T SAY NOTHING, PERIOD !!!

N.J. Turnpike / 95 NORTHBOUND:

EXIT 4 : N.J. 73 / I-295: Mount Laurel-Cherry Hill
EXIT 4 for Tacony-Palmyra Bridge / Betsy Ross Bridge / Ben Franklin Bridge / Philadelphia/ Camden

EXIT 9: N.J. 18 / U.S. 1 : New Brunswick-East Brunswick-Rutgers University
EXIT 10: I-287 / N.J. 440 Perth Amboy-Metuchen-Edison
EXIT 10 for Outerbridge Crossing-Staten Island
EXIT 11: Garden State Parkway-Woodbridge-The Amboys-Clifton

NOTE: The GSP DOES NOT GO INTO Paterson. It goes into Clifton THEN Garfield, Saddle Brook, Paramus, Ridgewood and up ONLY to the N.Y. Thruway. GET IT RIGHT !!!! I'm from New Jersey !!!! The closest exits to Paterson from the GSP are EXITS 155, 155P, 156 and 159!!! READ PEOPLE, READ !!!!! LEARN HOW TO READ A MAP !!!!

EXIT 16W : N.J. 3, N.J. 17, N.J. 120 Secaucus-Rutherford-Sports Complex-Lincoln Tunnel
EXIT 16W for Lincoln Tunnel-Clifton
EXIT 16E & 17 N.J. 3, N.J. 495, U.S. 1-9: Lincoln Tunnel-Secaucus-Clifton-New York (16E Secaucus-Clifton) (17 Lincoln Tunnel)

GOT IT ??!!!

Zeffy

Quote from: EricJV95 on July 27, 2015, 11:00:15 PM
NOTE: The GSP DOES NOT GO INTO Paterson. It goes into Clifton THEN Garfield, Saddle Brook, Paramus, Ridgewood and up ONLY to the N.Y. Thruway. GET IT RIGHT !!!! I'm from New Jersey !!!! The closest exits to Paterson from the GSP are EXITS 155, 155P, 156 and 159!!! READ PEOPLE, READ !!!!! LEARN HOW TO READ A MAP !!!!

I-295 doesn't go into Trenton, yet Trenton is still signed on it. Why you ask? Because almost every exit north of exit 57 (if not every exit) will lead into Trenton one way or another. A lot of people use I-295 to get into Trenton anyways, so the same reasoning can most likely apply to Exit 155 on the Parkway for Paterson.

Also, your post is overly obnoxious with the inherent screaming as demonstrated by your constant USE OF ALL CAPS.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

swbrotha100

What map do you read? I know the Parkway doesn't go into Ridgewood. Maybe if you exit at 163 (Route 17) or 165 (Ridgewood Ave) you can go to Ridgewood that way.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: storm2k on July 27, 2015, 01:06:33 PM
Looks like the MUTCD sign replacement project on the Turnpike has started to pick up steam. A bunch of signs along the Western Spur have been repalced with MUTCD signage recently. One thing I am noticing is that the older Exit Point signs (not sure the correct TA name for them, the ones right at the exit that are overhead and say Exit XX with a Turnpike arrow) are not being removed. Not sure if they're going to come down later and gore point exit signs will be installed or what.

Also of note is that at 16W, "Sports Complex" is now on a brown background to set it apart, much like the supplemental signage that was installed in the recent past has been.

There were a couple non-reflective signs where the western spur meets the eastern spur. Are they still there?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Alps

overcapitalized and overemoted garbage
you sound like Christie on amphetamines. stop giving my state a bad name and take a few Quaaludes

QuoteI'm from New Jersey !!!!
You live in Pennsylvania. Stay there.

jeffandnicole

I can't wait to see what he says for the Southbound Exits.

Zeffy

QuoteI'm from New Jersey !!!!
You live in Pennsylvania. Stay there.
[/quote]

Worse yet, he lives in WESTERN Pennsylvania, which means he seldom visits New Jersey anyway. And yes, please stop giving our wonderful state a worse rap than it already has thanks to the douchebags on Jersey Shore.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

odditude

Quote from: Alps on July 28, 2015, 12:08:41 AM
you sound like Christie on amphetamines. stop giving my state a bad name and take a few Quaaludes
this is what came to mind.

out of curiosity, is there any desire whatsoever in NJTA to apply for Interstate designation on the Eastern spur and/or sign the spurs as 95E/95W? admittedly, there's little practical utility to it.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: odditude on July 28, 2015, 08:38:28 AM
out of curiosity, is there any desire whatsoever in NJTA to apply for Interstate designation on the Eastern spur and/or sign the spurs as 95E/95W? admittedly, there's little practical utility to it.

IMO, better for NJTA/NJDOT to apply for a 3di x95 for the segment of the Turnpike from 1 to 6.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

PHLBOS

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 28, 2015, 08:50:28 AM

IMO, better for NJTA/NJDOT to apply for a 3di x95 for the segment of the Turnpike from 1 to 6.
How about just finally placing I-95 shields an all the NJTP signs between Exits 10 and 7A.  I can understand the reasoning for not doing such between Exits 7A and 6 for the time being; but north of I-195/Exit 7A, there's no excuse not to co-sign the NJTP as I-95.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

NJ in general just has never been all that big in wanting to plaster their limited access highways with interstate designations.  If they haven't done so already, there's no reason to suddenly start now.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 28, 2015, 09:07:07 AMNJ in general just has never been all that big in wanting to plaster their limited access highways with interstate designations.
We're talking about a stretch of highway that's been a de-facto part of I-95 for at least two decades.  IMHO, those shields should have been erected once the I-195/295/NJ 29 interchange was completed in the mid-1990s (with TO 95 trailblazers along I-195 and I295 north of Exit 60). 

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 28, 2015, 09:07:07 AMIf they haven't done so already, there's no reason to suddenly start now.
Personally, I'm surprised that the Feds haven't leaned on NJTA yet for that.  They're leaning on them for everything else (more MUTCD complaint signage and so forth).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

swbrotha100

Quote from: Alps on July 28, 2015, 12:08:41 AM
this is what came to mind.

I doubt it will ever be signed, but the western spur is internally known as 95W already.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/00000095__-.pdf

bzakharin

Just out of curiosity, why are so many of the destinations at NJTP interchanges basically the location of the exit? Like Exit 10. Do people really mostly take 287 to Edison or Metuchen? Not Somerville or Morristown? Or Exit 11, Woodbridge? Not Union or East Orange? I'd argue for Atlantic City at Exit 4 going Southbound as well.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on July 28, 2015, 11:22:36 AM
Just out of curiosity, why are so many of the destinations at NJTP interchanges basically the location of the exit? Like Exit 10. Do people really mostly take 287 to Edison or Metuchen? Not Somerville or Morristown? Or Exit 11, Woodbridge? Not Union or East Orange? I'd argue for Atlantic City at Exit 4 going Southbound as well.

In general, exits are signed for the town the exit is located in, or another nearby town.  And while they don't always succeed, the exit should be signed the same when approached by either direction.  When you start going further away, there are likely easier ways to get to that far-away destination from another exit. 

And there's always the factor of history: When the highway was opened, various destinations were chosen.  In the time since, other towns have probably grown and become larger and more important, so now the highway authority has to decide whether to update the destinations.  To move away from the original towns now usually would require a good reason to do so, and usually the towns listed on the sign will fight such a move. 

Re: Atlantic City:  Most people going south would have exited at Exit 11.  Going North, they would exit at 1 or 3.  If they are in the state (but not on the Turnpike) between Interchange 9 and 5, there are better options than the Turnpike (which would be going SW, away from AC) to get to Atlantic City.  Thus, there's really no reason to sign it at Interchange 4, especially as there are many other large destination points off that exit.

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 28, 2015, 11:46:20 AM
Quote from: bzakharin on July 28, 2015, 11:22:36 AM

In general, exits are signed for the town the exit is located in, or another nearby town.  And while they don't always succeed, the exit should be signed the same when approached by either direction.  When you start going further away, there are likely easier ways to get to that far-away destination from another exit. 

And there's always the factor of history: When the highway was opened, various destinations were chosen.  In the time since, other towns have probably grown and become larger and more important, so now the highway authority has to decide whether to update the destinations.  To move away from the original towns now usually would require a good reason to do so, and usually the towns listed on the sign will fight such a move. 

Re: Atlantic City:  Most people going south would have exited at Exit 11.  Going North, they would exit at 1 or 3.  If they are in the state (but not on the Turnpike) between Interchange 9 and 5, there are better options than the Turnpike (which would be going SW, away from AC) to get to Atlantic City.  Thus, there's really no reason to sign it at Interchange 4, especially as there are many other large destination points off that exit.

I'll concede Atlantic City to you, but is the exit location thing a general rule or just Turnpike practice? I would think if an exit primarily serves a numbered highway, the primary destinations should be the highway's control points, and I see that done elsewhere.

ekt8750

If anything I'd sign exit 2 (US 322) for Atlantic City if you really want an Atlantic City exit.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ekt8750 on July 28, 2015, 03:04:13 PM
If anything I'd sign exit 2 (US 322) for Atlantic City if you really want an Atlantic City exit.

Exit 1 (Northbound) & Exit 3 are already signed for Atlantic City.  (Technically, Exit 3 is signed Atlantic City Exp)

ekt8750

Exit 1 makes more sense. US 40 is a quicker route than US 322.

roadman65

As far as control cities go, the NJT did use some out of the way places at the old Exit 4 signage.  "Philadelphia" was used first on the original exit guides until it recently got replaced by "Mt. Laurel" for the latest updates.

As we all know Philly is not directly on the NJT, so it counts as a far away city for signing purposes. 

As far as the other roads not having the same signing criteria, if you are referring to I-295 which uses "Berlin" and "Tacony Bridge" for NJ 73 you have to remember I-295 has more interchanges than the Turnpike does.  I-295 is used for local traffic while the NJT is used for long distance travelers, so the signing varies more. 

Remember, I-295 connects directly with NJ 70 which leads into Camden where the Turnpike does not.  That is why NJ 73 is signed for "Camden" and I-295 is not!   I-295 also connects with I-76 and NJ 42 and NJT does not, so that is why NJ 168 is signed for "Camden" and "Atlantic City Expwy" for Exit 3 on the Turnpike while the interstate at the same route is signed for "Mt Ephriam" as well as "Runnemede" and "Bellmawr."  If someday the two freeways of the NJT and Route 42 ever get a direct connection you might see Exit 3 change to "Bellmawr" and "Runnemede" which would match I-295 some, but that will never happen anytime soon.

IMHO, I think that "Bellmawr" should be signed for Exit 3 on the Turnpike instead of the ACE ( use supplemental signs for that) along with "Camden" and "Philadelphia" should be signed NB on supplemental signs possibly with the "State Aquarium" in the same assembly.  Anyway that is for another thread, but it is what it is on the NJ Turnpike.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

J Route Z

I don't know exactly when they did the signage updates (I want to say 2011?), but they took off Westampton and Willingboro for exit 5 guide signs. They kept the more important locations, Burlington and Mount Holly, where Mount Holly is the county seat. Burlington could be the city or township.

As for I-295 locations on signs, I think the destinations are well selected overall on the entire stretch. The only thing I'd change would be some of the pull thru signs to have more consistent locations. Going SB, one says Del Mem. Br., one says Camden, etc., which can be confusing.

roadman65

J Route Z- I think I would remove the "Berlin" for US 30 East as it has too damn many control cities on I-295.  Barrington, Collingswood, Haddon Heights, Lawnside, and Berlin are too many for the driver to safely comprehend and against new MUTCD rules.    It should be just Barrington and Collingswood going NB for US 30 WB, and Lawnside for US 30 EB.  Haddon Heights and Berlin should be on supplemental signs.  Going SB it should be Barrington  and Collingswood and no mention of Berlin as a previous exit served (and are signed) it.  Haddon Heights again should be signed supplementally.

On NJ 38 WB from I-295 SB I also think "Camden" should be added to the sign along with Moorestown.  Right now only NJ 70 is signed for Camden (along with I-76), but NJ 38 into US 30 is a clear shot into Camden and more direct than using NJ 70 or heading way south to I-76.

Also there used to be a sign for Ben Franklin Bridge on SB I-295 at the NJ 38 exit along with Philadelphia directing motorists via that crossing to exit there, but the last visit I was there I did not see it.  So I assume NJDOT removed the sign in favor of directing motorists via I-76 and I-676 then?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

lepidopteran

Massive truck fire engulfs overpass, closes Turnpike near Exit 13A

http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2015/08/turnpike_shutdown_at_exit_13a_due_to_truck_fire.html

There is speculation that the integrity of the structural steel of the overpass has been compromised. 

jeffandnicole

Looking at the pictures, it certainly seems like that is the overpass that is hanging low, just above the roadway.

What sucks is for those at the businesses on the east side there: https://goo.gl/maps/JNGBr , including NU Star LP, Linden Sewage, CITGO Petroleum and others.  That overpass is the only way to and from those businesses.  Currently, anyone at those businesses are basically trapped there!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.