News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lepidopteran

Quote from: Alex on November 09, 2015, 09:26:52 PM
We found this 1974 NJ Official at the flea market in Pinellas Park, Florida over the weekend. It is the first map that I have ever seen showing the Alfred E. Driscoll Expressway.
The NJ Turnpike would have needed a new Exit 8B for this highway.  I wonder if the NB-to-SB movements would have been constructed in said interchange.  Also, note how the freeway section of NJ-33 begins/ends where the Driscoll was to pass by.  The body of water just south of that junction might have made things tricky there.

It also shows the unbuilt NJ-74 freeway between Laurence Harbor and NJ-18 in South River/Sayreville.

jwolfer

Quote from: storm2k on November 10, 2015, 01:25:39 AM
Sharing here for those who are not on Facebook. Click for a larger version:

We found this 1974 NJ Official at the flea market in Pinellas Park, Florida over the weekend. It is the first map that I have ever seen showing the Alfred E. Driscoll Expressway.

Interesting how there are Exits 97 and 96 on the Parkway. I am guessing they all got combined into 98 once 195 was built through to the (former) 38 freeway stub (now 138).
I grew up in Pt Pleasant and always knew my exit was 98.... Yes people in NJ know that exit, my former boss in Orlando always liked to ask "what exit?" to anyone from NJ. It got annoying, but everyone always knew...  I don't recall  it being different, but this was back in NY toddler years. I will ask my dad about the difference.

jwolfer

On this map its amazing to see how some of the roads were just recently completed.  And many others never finished. And how many are STILL 2 lanes. Florida would have had a bunch of 6 Lane roads

What is interesting with never built roads is the seemingly non sensical ends to other road upgrades. ie the NJTP dual roads started at exit 10, where 95 was supposed to come in
Quote from: storm2k on November 10, 2015, 01:25:39 AM

Interesting how there are Exits 97 and 96 on the Parkway. I am guessing they all got combined into 98 once 195 was built through to the (former) 38 freeway stub (now 138).

roadman65

The map shows another NJ 74 alignment as the one's I saw went through the US 9 and NJ 34 intersection and a spur to South Amboy branching off of it there that was to be a realigned US 9 freeway bypass of Sayre Woods.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Drove through 16W yesterday, and another bit of button copy history is gone. This gantry has been replaced. Of interesting note. The SB sign (which has a covered arrow for the second lane they're adding to the SB onramp) features both a 95 and NJTP shield, but the NB sign only features a 95 shield, even if the Turnpike technically continues northward for a bit. Control cities are Newark for SB and GWB for NB, keeping with what we've seen with signage elsewhere. Did not drive back onto the Turnpike at 16W so could not snap a picture but I'll try to grab one the next time I'm through there.

storm2k

Quote from: jwolfer on November 13, 2015, 11:38:53 PM
What is interesting with never built roads is the seemingly non sensical ends to other road upgrades. ie the NJTP dual roads started at exit 10, where 95 was supposed to come in

That actually makes perfect sense. A lot of traffic would have entered and left the Turnpike at 10 to follow 95, especially truck traffic that would not want to pay more tolls than were necessary. It only made sense to move it southward as it became evident that the Somerset Freeway was not going to be built and more traffic was going to stay on the Turnpike between NY and PA/DE.

jwolfer

Quote from: storm2k on November 23, 2015, 10:25:11 AM

That actually makes perfect sense. A lot of traffic would have entered and left the Turnpike at 10 to follow 95, especially truck traffic that would not want to pay more tolls than were necessary. It only made sense to move it southward as it became evident that the Somerset Freeway was not going to be built and more traffic was going to stay on the Turnpike between NY and PA/DE.
Others have pointed out the Somerset freeway being completed would have caused other problems.. What is now 287 north of New Brunswick would be problematic and the 4 lanes of i95 in PA would be inadequate.. 

The fear of suburban sprawl happened anyway but now they just have 2 Lane roads and a super congested US1.

bzakharin

I wonder if the current setup on the NJ Turnpike becomes inadequate again after the interchange is built. There were constant delays in both directions between exits 6 and 9 before the truck lanes were extended. Now there are no delays, but traffic is close to capacity. If more traffic starts entering/exiting at exit 6, will the delays come back? On the other hand, where would this extra traffic be diverted from? Maybe from those currently using 295/195, but I imagine most Philly to NY traffic doesn't go that way, using one of the DRPA bridges and getting on the Turnpike at exit 4.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on November 23, 2015, 01:03:53 PM
I wonder if the current setup on the NJ Turnpike becomes inadequate again after the interchange is built. There were constant delays in both directions between exits 6 and 9 before the truck lanes were extended. Now there are no delays, but traffic is close to capacity. If more traffic starts entering/exiting at exit 6, will the delays come back? On the other hand, where would this extra traffic be diverted from? Maybe from those currently using 295/195, but I imagine most Philly to NY traffic doesn't go that way, using one of the DRPA bridges and getting on the Turnpike at exit 4.

The NJ Turnpike is nowhere close to capacity between 6 & 9.  The only time it should really be heavy to the point of congesting would be on unusually heavy traffic days such as around Thanksgiving, and that should be kept to a minimum.   

When planning, forecast models looking out 25 years didn't even support 12 lanes (4 roadways x 3 lanes per roadway) between Interchange 6 & 7A (10 lanes would adequately handle the forecasted travel volumes).  However, keeping 4 roadways at 3 lanes each was necessary because if the 3 lane roadway was closed, 2 lanes on the other roadway wouldn't be able the additional volume.

When the PA Tpk/95 project is complete, in theory the traffic will only divert from Delaware and up the NJ Turnpike to going up 95 thru Philly and jumping on the PA Turnpike.  In essence, all things being equal, the total amount of traffic north of Interchange 6 shouldn't change. 

It's possible that, due to the ease of the interchange, some traffic may decide to take 95 North to the PA Turnpike East to the NJ Turnpike North, vs staying on 95 North into NJ, then take US 1 North, which would increase volumes on the NJ Turnpike...but it wouldn't increase traffic volumes dramatically.

storm2k

Quote from: jwolfer on November 23, 2015, 12:44:52 PM
Quote from: storm2k on November 23, 2015, 10:25:11 AM

Others have pointed out the Somerset freeway being completed would have caused other problems.. What is now 287 north of New Brunswick would be problematic and the 4 lanes of i95 in PA would be inadequate.. 

The fear of suburban sprawl happened anyway but now they just have 2 Lane roads and a super congested US1.

Those issues would not have been of interest to the Turnpike Authority, who have no control over what NJDOT or PADOT do with their roads :)

storm2k

Quote from: bzakharin on November 23, 2015, 01:03:53 PM

I can tell you from experience that traveling at a peak time, such as a Saturday afternoon in the summer, that you could easily have 30+ minutes of delays getting through the merge at 8A and then another 20-30 minutes of delays trying to get down and past 7A. Now, you sail through there and there isn't that much traffic. Trust me, they are not near capacity at the least.

SignBridge

On a different note, NBC New York news reported this evening that the northbound Grover Cleveland Service Area near Woodbridge, (which was severely damaged by Superstorm Sandy) is reopening! And it's about time. It took less time to build the original mainline of the Turnpike, than to rebuild one service area.

storm2k

Quote from: SignBridge on November 23, 2015, 08:04:54 PM
On a different note, NBC New York news reported this evening that the northbound Grover Cleveland Service Area near Woodbridge, (which was severely damaged by Superstorm Sandy) is reopening! And it's about time. It took less time to build the original mainline of the Turnpike, than to rebuild one service area.

Can confirm it's open. It looks nice. I pass it every day on my way home and I would have stopped in there tonight if I had realized it was open before driving past.

odditude

It took less time to build the original mainline of the Turnpike, than to rebuild one service area.
it's amazing what actually having a budget will do for a project.

storm2k

NJ.com has some pictures of the new Grover Cleveland Service Area on their website.

Pete from Boston

I just want to know if their Starbucks will finally sell New Jersey mugs in their "You Are Here" series, instead of the current untruthful "New York," "Philadelphia," and "Pittsburgh" offerings.

jeffandnicole

OMG...does everything need to be compared to the original building of (name your landmark)?  For one, there was no OSHA in the 1950's, and if some people died, it was pretty much expected.  There was very little opposition to the building of the turnpike.  There were plenty of workers available to build the turnpike, putting in long days and weeks.  In this case, there was a building that needed to be knocked down, remediated, or whatever they had to do with it.  There's water issues that need to be taken care of (obviously).  No doubt the original turnpike's construction period didn't include designing it...I'm sure there was no design on the books ready to go for this service plaza. 

So basically, while some people love to say it takes longer today to do something than it did 70 years ago...well, no shit it does! 

ixnay

Quote from: storm2k on November 23, 2015, 10:57:14 PM
NJ.com has some pictures of the new Grover Cleveland Service Area on their website.

The article's slideshow includes the "Order here" console.  The Baltimore Orioles should sue the NJTA for ripping off their font. :)

ixnay

ixnay

From the comments under the article...

arealinvestor (...)

I'll give the rest area about a month; After that it will start falling apart by the seams. Plagued by heating & ac problems, faulty workmanship by contractors who go unchecked. Go back in month & interview some workers. The list of problems will be to long to list!!!  All those phony politicians & political hacks can do, is be a star at a ribbon cutting ceremony!! None of them know anything about construction, budgets, warranties & workmanship. With all the money the Turnpike has; how come the bldg. isn't a certifiable Green bldg.???

storm2k, when you stop there, see if the building is structurally sound, will you?

And...

noprofessionalpols (...)

Finished ahead of schedule my arse. 3 years after Sandy and for those 3 years visitors to NJ on their way north had no restrooms, no food, had to trudge behind trailers and trees to relieve themselves while the Turnpike Authority couldn't even keep the rest room trailers open to the public, couldn't even get a food truck into the rest area for people to grab a bite to eat.

They're proud of all that - the people responsible for that travesty should have their heads examined.

I can't believe the sheer incompetence and then they have the nerve to brag about it.

Yep, either go behind trailers and trees or hold it for the 38 miles between the Kilmer and Lombardi plazas...

Anybody pine for the Bull Halsey service plaza (replaced by exit 13A)?  Or the plazas that faced each other across the Jersey City extension?

ixnay

Pete from Boston

Usually when a rest area is closed, there is a sign prior to the previous one giving motorists the warning this is their time to stop.

When the Mass Pike had a fire at the Charlton rest area, not only was a bathroom trailer put in, but also a trailer version of a Roy Rogers restaurant (outdoor seating, of course).

However, both of these require a significant commitment to upkeep, particularly since they will be woefully inadequate compared to a full rest area.  They should not be put in unless that commitment is there.

jeffandnicole

When the Delaware Turnpike Service Plaza was closed, a sign approaching the final service plaza on the NJ Turnpike mentioned that there's no service plazas for the next 35 miles (or whatever it was). 

Nevermind the fact that there's probably 10 interchanges with full on-off, no charge access as well! :-)

jeffandnicole

Approaching Interchange 7, the 'Exit 7 for Fort Dix' has been replaced with Joint Base MDL. (McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst).

A new BGS has replaced this one: https://goo.gl/maps/gi7pi3fKyoH2 after the Int. 7 toll plaza, indicating the Joint Base MDL as well.

roadman65

Interesting about the name change on the Exit 7 signs.   The image that you post, shows the gore overhead as looking trapezoid, but I am guessing that its another google distortion like the DO NOT ENTER sign on Western Avenue at Goethals Road on Staten Island is.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

The 3 bases merged into one several years ago.  I-295 resigned their BGSs to reflect the change last year.   The NJ Turnpike went with Fort Dix when they installed the new signage during the widening construction...only to finally change it now.

Yeah - it's distortion.  The sign itself is a standard rectangle.

mrsman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 24, 2015, 08:33:22 AM
When the Delaware Turnpike Service Plaza was closed, a sign approaching the final service plaza on the NJ Turnpike mentioned that there's no service plazas for the next 35 miles (or whatever it was). 

Nevermind the fact that there's probably 10 interchanges with full on-off, no charge access as well! :-)

Of course one can get off the highway to use a regular restaurant or service station, but many people like using the turnpike service plazas because it is quicker.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.