News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What is up with I-366?

Started by iBallasticwolf2, July 29, 2015, 06:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iBallasticwolf2

I've heard it mentioned in multiple threads about a joke interstate that usually is about "Interstate 366 with the 85 mph speed limit." Was this term coined from Alanland?
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Zeffy

It's a running gag that was coined when a young poster named Ethanman{insert-5-digit-number-here} posted about upgrading VA 28 into a spur of Interstate 66. He also specified it would have an 85 MPH speed limit.

Anyone who knows A. the east coast, or B. the mega-metro of Northern Virginia knows that the 85 MPH part is ridiculous, and to an extent so is the I-366 upgrade of VA 28 as well. So now it's custom to refer to any ridiculous proposals as I-366 with an 85 MPH speed limit.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Zeffy on July 29, 2015, 06:39:01 PM
It's a running gag that was coined when a young poster named Ethanman{insert-5-digit-number-here} posted about upgrading VA 28 into a spur of Interstate 66. He also specified it would have an 85 MPH speed limit.

Thanks for telling me!

hotdogPi

Here are his posts (the ones that haven't been deleted).
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

vtk

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 29, 2015, 06:03:28 PM
Was this term coined from Alanland?

I-366 came before Alanland, but not by much.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

US 41

Quote from: 1 on July 29, 2015, 07:30:13 PM

Ethanman seemed pretty obsessed with speed limits. I've also heard about some other troll that had the name of sr641 that said some pretty stupid stuff too. Which one was worse ethanman or sr641? They were apparently both on here way before I was and I've seen them mentioned in several posts.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

noelbotevera

Quote from: US 41 on July 29, 2015, 10:02:22 PM

Ethanman seemed pretty obsessed with speed limits. I've also heard about some other troll that had the name of sr641 that said some pretty stupid stuff too. Which one was worse ethanman or sr641? They were apparently both on here way before I was and I've seen them mentioned in several posts.
I saw sr641 on some old threads, but do not remember them. sr641 is probably calrog in disguise. I have no idea what calrog is.

I'm sort of the Northern Virginia troll because of how much I know of Northern Virginia.  That amount is probably smaller than the smallest object that you can find in the world.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CNGL-Leudimin

When I posted my Second Capital Beltway idea, as it took over VA 28 I specified that particular section to have a speed limit of 85 in reference to the running gag. However, as it is a loop it couldn't be I-366, it should have an even first digit. I had it as I-666.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

1995hoo

Quote from: Zeffy on July 29, 2015, 06:39:01 PM

Anyone who knows A. the east coast, or B. the mega-metro of Northern Virginia knows that the 85 MPH part is ridiculous, and to an extent so is the I-366 upgrade of VA 28 as well. So now it's custom to refer to any ridiculous proposals as I-366 with an 85 MPH speed limit.

I've certainly seen people doing 85 mph on the portions of Route 28 north of its interchange with US-50. Not many, mind you, but I wouldn't say it's totally unusual to see it, and a lot of the traffic routinely moves at 70 to 75 mph when I've been on there (I'm never out there during rush hour, though). I try to set my cruise control at 65 because that way there will always be plenty of people going faster than I am.

But as a "Virginia" matter, the notion of that road being posted at 85 even if it were an Interstate is asinine. VDOT doesn't like the idea of even 70-mph zones in urban or suburban areas. Their traffic and engineering study reportedly showed the Beltway HO/T lanes warranted a 70-mph limit, but they posted 65 instead.

Going back to ethanman62187, I think my favorite of his posts on this topic was when he said "I can let you drive 65" on there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Zeffy

How would he know anyway? When he posted that I believe he was 13 years old so it's not like he could drive it himself...

Even more ridiculous is the fact I believe he was from Florida (Miami?) but he preached about VA 28 like he did.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

1995hoo

No, ethanman62187 is from Manassas.

SignGeek101

Are these users perma banned? Or did they just stop coming on and posting?

1995hoo

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 30, 2015, 02:18:29 PM

I believe ethanman got permanently banned and that the last straw was when he started using the purple text the moderators use and making bizarre posts purporting to order people around.

US 41

Quote from: sr641 on May 10, 2012, 08:32:47 PM

I just built a city out of wood so I can drive my cars on it.

:-D This comment is by far the best. It's like what are you, 5 years old?
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Takumi

Quote from: US 41 on July 30, 2015, 03:08:16 PM

His best/worst moment was when he created a (now-deleted) poll asking if Louisville has 2 bypasses.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

vdeane

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 30, 2015, 02:41:01 PM

I believe ethanman got permanently banned and that the last straw was when he started using the purple text the moderators use and making bizarre posts purporting to order people around.
As I recall that he refused to acknowledge that his VA 28 -> I-366 idea was fictional and kept trying to pass it off as something that would actually happen that the mods ordered him to provide proof or be banned.

Irony of all ironies, VDOT actually does intend to upgrade VA 28 to a full freeway.  No word yet on whether it will be I-366 or if the speed limit will be 85.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

Quote from: US 41 on July 29, 2015, 10:02:22 PM

Then there was roadman66, one number away from mine which got some mad at me for his posts who some believe (especially Jake from San Diego)that ethanman was posting using a second user name. 

However, both ethanman and the other roadman both stop posting at the same time.  The other roadman was the one that asked How Come there is no interstate 1, 2, 3...31,32, 33, etc. with a curious icon instead of asking the question further which everyone really got into it with him with it.  It even included one user responding to his rebuttal of "is this a common joke" with "just as us asking why isn't there a roadman 01, 02, 03, etc."  Plus 66 also asked the same dumb questions as ethanman, so we were all to speculate that they were  indeed the same person. 

Anyway, ethanman gave some of us a laugh or two as some of the responses back like the US 101 not part of US 1 thread where one user showed ethanman how to use Google in a special link while another sent him to another website with questions and answers to roads and TOLD HIM to memorize it from one end to the other.  Those two  were the best along with him saying to do 65 mph on VA 28 that its okay.  However the How Come thread actually had me practically on the floor though.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Responding to vdeane–

They don't plan to upgrade the entire road to a full freeway, just the northern portion (Centreville north to the road's terminus at Route 7). South of there it'd be impractical, especially through the City of Manassas, and it'd be a waste of money because it isn't needed. But most of the work is already done once you're north of I-66. There are still a couple of traffic lights immediately north of the Interstate and another just to its south. Two of those are definitely proposed for elimination as part of the proposed HO/T lane project on I-66, which would see said route's interchange with Route 28 totally rebuilt into a much more complex beast. I'm not sure about the plans for the northernmost of the three lights, which serves a park.

That road is certainly much-improved over the old two-lane road I remember from when I was a kid. I will say I have to agree with ethanman that the 55-mph speed limit is generally too low now that the reconstruction is done and the traffic lights are gone (except for the ones near I-66). I don't necessarily think he fact that he was 13 should disqualify him from having a valid opinion that 55 is too slow. When I was a kid I often felt my mother drove way too slowly when she went 60 mph on roads where my father went 70 (this all back in the days of the national 55-mph limit, of course). Even if you've never driven, I think if you travel a road often enough you do get a sense for the different speeds, and I think certainly the freeway portion of Route 28 is a better road than quite a few Virginia highways that carry higher posted speed limits.

But in terms of his getting banned, I think the "purple text" incident I mentioned was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. The moderators were clearly already tired of him asking stupid questions that he could have answered with simple Google searches or the like. I do recall the incident you mention where one of the moderators told him to put up or shut up on the I-366 thing, but he was definitely around for a while after that happened.

ET21

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 30, 2015, 02:41:01 PM

Just reading his history gave me a good chuckle
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Takumi

He was also oddly obsessed with repealing night speed limits in Montana.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

iBallasticwolf2

Considering what ethanman did managed to get him banned sr641 was probably banned. Could one of the mods tell me if I'm correct or not?

noelbotevera

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 30, 2015, 06:59:31 PM

Considering what ethanman did managed to get him banned sr641 was probably banned. Could one of the mods tell me if I'm correct or not?
While on the subject of banned trolls, why is V'Ger banned? What did he do?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

roadman65

Was not one of the guys who got banned also called blawp on MTR, but posted as FederalRoute1 or something?  I remember that the federal route guy tried to start a thread, and one of the mods went ballistic and omitting his posts right away.

I later heard from Alex that he was blawp in disguise and that the mod was doing a service to us as he was a big troll on MTR.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.