Regional Boards > Ohio Valley

Ohio

<< < (28/28)

seicer:
h/t Mark Phillips for the link

Chesapeake Bypass Phase 2 Virtual Public Open House

Map: https://www.publicinput.com/Customer/File/Full/3a17350a-b6a4-4349-86ea-668529c3673b

The Chesapeake Bypass project has been ongoing for twenty years. The ultimate plan for the Chesapeake Bypass project is a 4-lane, limited access highway between SR 527/SR 7 in Chesapeake and existing SR 7 in Rome Township. Right-of-way (R/W) plans have been completed and property acquisition is underway. Due to limited funding,  construction is being completed in phases:

- Phase 1: This phase included construction of a new 4.7-mile, 2-lane limited access highway from SR 775 in Proctorville to existing SR 7 in Rome Township, as well as a connection between the 31st Street Bridge (East Huntington Bridge) and existing 775 in Proctorville.

- Phase 2: This phase involves construction of the western half of the Chesapeake Bypass, which extends 5.2 miles between the SR 527/SR 7 interchange in Chesapeake east to SR 775 in Proctorville. Phase 2 includes construction of a 2-lane, limited access highway, with some 4-lane sections and truck climbing lanes. In addition, a full interchange will be constructed at SR 775. Once funding becomes available, Phase 2 will be constructed in two subphases:

- Phase 2A: This phase includes tree clearing, and construction of earthwork and drainage. This phase is scheduled to begin in 2024 and end in 2025, dependent on funding.

- Phase 2B: This phase includes construction of bridges and roadway pavement. This phase is scheduled to begin in 2028 and end in 2030, dependent on funding. There will be at least 3 years between Phases 2A and 2B to allow for soil settlement.

The construction of the remaining portions of the 4-lane Chesapeake Bypass will occur in phases:

- Phase 3: This phase includes construction of the remaining westbound lanes and completion of the 4-lane highway between the SR 527/SR 7 interchange in Chesapeake east to SR 775 in Proctorville.

- Phase 4: This phase includes construction of two westbound lanes for the length of Phase 1B between SR 775 in Proctorville east to existing SR 7 in Rome Township.
Funding has not been committed for Phases 3 & 4.

--

"There will be at least 3 years between Phases 2A and 2B to allow for soil settlement."

- This is interesting. It will be different than the fast-tracked Portsmouth bypass which has experienced a lot of settling issues throughout its entire length, and much of US 35 through West Virginia, which is nicknamed the "Bump and Dip Freeway" for obvious reasons. I know that I-69 has surcharge dumped on settling segments, and I assume the same will be done for SR 7.

- I didn't anticipate on so many hills requiring truck climbing lanes on the two-lane segments, but it's good that it's being built on it considering that it could be another 20-30 years before the entire route is four-laned.

- The roundabout at SR 243 looks to be temporary. When it's four-laned, I wonder if it will just be a t-intersection?

Tom958:

seicer:
ODOT is adding exit numbers to US 52. I spotted a "Exit 152" exit panel for the Jesse Stuart Bridge exit near Franklin Furnace, but no exit tabs on the signs yet.

epzik8:
The newest item on my roadgeek bucket list is to get all of 50 between Cincinnati and DC

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version