News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ohio

Started by iBallasticwolf2, August 29, 2015, 08:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: Rothman on September 29, 2016, 12:15:07 PM
Could it have been from issuing more bonds?  That's happening quite a bit now in NYSDOT's program.

(personal opinion emphasized)

that might actually be true, the same thing has happened in indiana before due to this

GCrites

Quote from: vtk on September 29, 2016, 10:18:56 AM
  A more cynical interpretation is there is basically no long term planning anymore, and the agency is making decisions with the goal of maintaining people's short-term opinion of their ability to spend wisely.

I'm still wondering if design-build has to do with it as well. Meaning design-build leads to a lot less long-term planning. The idea will be put out there at some point, but nothing will be truly planned long term in a specific time frame. Like, "ehhhh, sometime before 2027."

Rothman

Quote from: GCrites80s on September 29, 2016, 08:45:53 PM
  A more cynical interpretation is there is basically no long term planning anymore, and the agency is making decisions with the goal of maintaining people's short-term opinion of their ability to spend wisely.

I'm still wondering if design-build has to do with it as well. Meaning design-build leads to a lot less long-term planning. The idea will be put out there at some point, but nothing will be truly planned long term in a specific time frame. Like, "ehhhh, sometime before 2027."

Hm.  At least here in NY, design-build only pertains to detailed design (final design report to PS&E) and construction phases of the project.  Typically treat the proposals due date as the equivalent to a traditional letting date for the project and for incorporation into NYSDOT's capital program database.  Not sure how that would translate into less long-term planning overall, since they get thrown into the mix anyway somewhere along the line.

Then again, NY tends to treat any "plan" beyond whatever is considered the current program as fluff anyway and even within the current program, anything beyond the first couple of years is considered tentative (i.e., most likely going to move later).

(personal opinion emphasized)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

6a

Quote from: 6a on September 29, 2016, 09:37:58 AM
Idle curiosity has me wondering about something. Recently some projects have been moved up because "the money was available now." The 270 west side widening and the newest phase of the 270/23/315 construction come to mind right away. Where did this money come from? We aren't talking about spare change here...are other areas not using all their funds? Are tax collections higher? Accounting magic? Genuinely curious.

My guess is, in the very recent past, revenues were coming up short of projections, so some larger impending projects were delayed, freeing up some money for immediate use; and now, revenues are exceeding projections, so some smaller projects are being moved up.  Assuming competence on the part of ODOT, it looks like the goal to spend as much of the cash they expect to have in any given year, and changing cash flow expectations result in reshuffled project timelines.  A more cynical interpretation is there is basically no long term planning anymore, and the agency is making decisions with the goal of maintaining people's short-term opinion of their ability to spend wisely.

Oh, how I want to be cynical, but you're probably right. It just seemed like someone opened a magic can of money and poof! all the projects got bumped up.

cl94

I don't know if Ohio has any APLs yet, but District 6 is getting rid of the dancing arrows and throwing in an APL along US 33: https://www.facebook.com/ODOTColumbusDistrict6/photos/a.253516568031378.57989.240292776020424/1154169991299360/?type=3&theater
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vtk

I'm pretty sure there have been APLs installed in Ohio before those on US 33.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

6a

Why not just do that for both directions lol I love you ODOT. Never change.

vtk

Delaware County: Sawmill Pkwy appears to be complete, though I have not yet observed its full length.

delstein

Quote from: vtk on November 25, 2016, 01:06:14 AM
Delaware County: Sawmill Pkwy appears to be complete, though I have not yet observed its full length.

I drove it a few weeks ago. It's a fairly nice stretch of road with plenty of roundabouts (four I believe?). I just don't like how it barges through what were otherwise quiet roads. There are houses with long driveways that used to be secluded from the road that are now bordered on the side by a four-lane parkway.

At the Delaware end by 42, there are turn lanes already put in, so I imagine there's some kind of development planned there.

vtk

Quote from: delstein on November 26, 2016, 12:24:42 PM

I drove it a few weeks ago. It's a fairly nice stretch of road with plenty of roundabouts (four I believe?). I just don't like how it barges through what were otherwise quiet roads. There are houses with long driveways that used to be secluded from the road that are now bordered on the side by a four-lane parkway.

At the Delaware end by 42, there are turn lanes already put in, so I imagine there's some kind of development planned there.

That's not the end, actually.  It's supposed to curve west and end at Section Line Rd.  I very recently noticed Google has imagery from this fall of the Columbus area, and it looks like the Sawmill Pkwy construction ends about halfway between US 42 and Section Line Rd, leaving a short stretch to be completed in the future.

thenetwork

Quote from: delstein on November 26, 2016, 12:24:42 PM

My parents live off of Sawmill Parkway in Powell.  It seemed to be a nice alternative to US 23 (the PARKWAY, that is), until you hit the Sawmill ROAD segment going into Franklin County.  Then, like US-23, you have poor infrastructure planning from synching of traffic lights to failure to limit the number of driveway access points.  Delaware County, you've done good!!!

route17fan

I hope this link works,

http://contracts.dot.state.oh.us/common/pageIterator.do?addTo=&forward=searchResultsCondensedJSP&iteratorKey=search.page.iterator&page=next&from=topNav

PID number 89303 is a signing contract in which US 23 and 33, along with OH 104 and 315 will continue to get mileage based exit numbers. It's 665 pages in length and I thought I would pass it along. :)  It looks to me like any and all remaining button copy is getting ready to be replaced. Plans seem to be in FHWA and not clearview.
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

route17fan

Naturally, the above link does not work. I am trying to plug in the PIN number to find a combination that works. Sorry folks.

vtk

Is it actually going to be a thorough job with the exit numbers? On 315 a year or two ago, the first and last few miles of the freeway were left out, and none of the gore signs were updated.

route17fan

Quote from: vtk on December 03, 2016, 02:37:52 AM
Is it actually going to be a thorough job with the exit numbers? On 315 a year or two ago, the first and last few miles of the freeway were left out, and none of the gore signs were updated.

Excellent point! According to the plans, it is just the south end of 315 (I did not see any of I-270/315/23 signage - unless that is a separate contract altogether, which would not surprise me). 104's exit numbers were thorough :)

cl94

Quote from: route17fan on December 05, 2016, 03:30:08 PM
Quote from: vtk on December 03, 2016, 02:37:52 AM

Excellent point! According to the plans, it is just the south end of 315 (I did not see any of I-270/315/23 signage - unless that is a separate contract altogether, which would not surprise me). 104's exit numbers were thorough :)

The north outerbelt is almost certainly its own contract. It would make the most sense just to throw that in with the reconstruction and its sign replacements.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

epzik8

Good God! Youngstown, Ohio is the very definition of "desolate"! You'll know what I'm talking about if you've ever been on U.S. 62 just off I-680 like I was today.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

GCrites

You don't have to stop for red lights at night if no one is coming in Youngstown. At least it was like that in the 2000s.

The Ghostbuster

What could possibly be done to revitalize Youngstown? I doubt the answer has anything to do with its roads, though.

westerninterloper

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 09, 2016, 04:59:32 PM
What could possibly be done to revitalize Youngstown? I doubt the answer has anything to do with its roads, though.

It's all Eds and Meds these days. Our capitalist system can only thrive by cannibalizing what used to be services.

Investing a few billion in Youngstown State University, making it Ohio's second flagship university, for example, or consolidating Mayo clinics in the eastern third of the country in the city might push it back. Manufacturing is largely automated, and Youngstown has no natural advantages in distribution or services; it needs an institutional anchor.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

silverback1065

Buck87

The new Ironton-Russell Bridge is open now. Drove across it yesterday. 

route17fan

Quote from: route17fan on December 02, 2016, 04:41:55 PM
I hope this link works,

http://contracts.dot.state.oh.us/common/pageIterator.do?addTo=&forward=searchResultsCondensedJSP&iteratorKey=search.page.iterator&page=next&from=topNav

PID number 89303 is a signing contract in which US 23 and 33, along with OH 104 and 315 will continue to get mileage based exit numbers. It's 665 pages in length and I thought I would pass it along. :)  It looks to me like any and all remaining button copy is getting ready to be replaced. Plans seem to be in FHWA and not clearview.

I've got it. At the top of the page, click on documents; then in the PID blank type 89303 and then the project comes up and you can download at the far right.

BrianP

I noticed the name of the new bridge on google maps:
Oakley Clark Collins Bridge opens to public today in Ironton and Russell (Nov 23rd)

vtk

"No documents found" it says.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.